“Decent place with pros and cons”

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bellmore, New York
“Decent place with pros and cons”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We were in Cabos (2 other resorts) for a 3 week vacation, and had to stay on for an extra 5 days at the last minute (due to Hurricane Irene.) We got a good deal at the Villa del Palmar, and decided to take it, since this part of our trip was an unexpected expense. This is the 5th resort I have stayed at over the last few years in Cabos.
Our view:
We arrived early (since we were already in town.) We were told that there was only 1 room available if we wanted to check in right away. We took a look at it, and were very unimpressed (it was on the ground floor with no view.) We decided to wait until later in the day (after people had checked out.) This turned out to be slightly inconvenient, since we could not unpack, however, in the end it was a GREAT decision. Our room (1310) was quiet and had a beautiful ocean view w/ the most gorgeous sunrises & sunsets. I looked forward to them everyday! If you prefer a more quiet room, definitely ask for a room that does not face the pool, as it is rather noisy there.
The room:
The 1BR suite is spacious and comfortable, the marble in the kitchen and bathroom areas looks really nice, but the cabinetry below it seems kind of beat up. My only complaints about the room were teeny, tiny, pesky ants in the kitchen area (I tried in vain to keep the area super clean by washing all dishes and cleaning all crumbs, but the ants were still hanging around.) The other issue was that the master bath had the hot and cold shower handles marked incorrectly. The water got very hot, very quickly, & I was worried that I might forget and burn myself so I always took my showers in the 2nd bathroom!
The pools:
If you have kids who can swim, they will LOVE the whale slide. My son must have went on it 100 times a day. The only problem is that there is noone watching at the top or bottom to make sure people are out of the way when the next person is coming down, so you need to be careful. I didn't use the adult pool at all b/c my son was always in the lower whale pool area. However, the pools seemed small and I could not imagine they would be big enough to accomodate all guests if the place was busy. We were there off season, so thankfully, this wasn't a problem. The lower pool area is very loud all day, which can get annoying at times. The pool water seemed pretty murky from sunscreen and whatever else, so I wasn't enticed to swim in it, although I did quick dunks to cool off. My biggest pet peeve was that the bottom of the pool was very rough, and ripped my feet up. I wanted to do water aerobics and water volley ball, but my feet couldn't take the bottom. Even the built in benches inside the pool were rough and would ruin your bathing suit.
Food:
I can't comment on the food b/c we prepared food in our room or ate elsewhere, however we did order their brick oven pizza twice, and it was very good.
Drinks:
I wasn't keen on the drinks, but maybe that's b/c I wasn't drinking beer or frozen drinks...rather vodka & various juices. For whatever reason, the juice just tasted bad, and when I switched to something different, it tasted like heavy grenadine syrup instead of cranberry juice. You would probably have no complaints if ordering frozen drinks, smoothies or beers. I was pleased that the drink prices were more reasonable than some of the other resorts I have stayed at, especially since I was not on the all inclusive plan. I wish they would start their Happy Hour at 3 instead of 4.
Staff:
The staff overall was very nice and accomodating (except for our cleaning lady.) The activites staff had lots of activites going on throughout the day, and were most enthusiastic.
Location:
It is a little too far to walk to town on the streets, but on foot, by way of the beach, you can walk down to other restaurants and activities in about 20 minutes. You can defintiely negotiate prices for activities once you are walking along the beach strip.
I love to swim in the ocean, but most days the red flag was up and it was just too rough to swim in front of our resort. Again, you can walk down the beach with your towels to calmer water. One way to make the journey quicker is to take the trolley service to their more upscale sister resort (Villa del Arco) and cut through their property out to the beach. The trolley trip is only about 3 minutes.
Be warned that even though the TV advertisements in the room suggest that guests of the Palmar and the Arco can share each other's facilities...this is not the case. Don't bring your green Palmar towels to the Villa Del Arco, or you will be kindly told to leave (you can hang out there and charge drinks and food to your room at the Palmar, but you can't have your towels. Also, you cannot use the Arco's gym if you are at the Palmar. However, the Palmar gym is mostly acceptable with decent cardio equipment (except that they have no mats for doing sit-ups.)
Overall, b/c we got in last minute for a great price, it was a good value for the money. However, I personally prefer the Villa Del Arco, as the rooms are nicer with bigger balconies, the drinks are better and it is just a more quiet and relaxing vibe. Also it has a better gym and is closer to town and activities.

5 Thank LLovesCabos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,432)
Orange County, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Spent a week in Cabo in August with family members from ages 3 months to 63. Weather was hot and humid but air conditioners kept indoor spaces cool. Great resort in a great location. All-inclusive was perfect. We ate at both restaurants and enjoyed snacks and drinks at the pool. Service was excellent throughout our stay! Themed nightly buffet and entertainment was enjoyable although not always extraordinary. Breakfast buffet with fresh omelette bar was great. Menu items were varied, tasy and presented well. Nightly buffets offered limited choices but were adequate. Special orders or food requests were always accommodated! Resort is small enough so that you can keep track of your children but large enough to allow for nice walks. Only disappointment was the rough seas which resulted in red flags and no body surfing. Resort is far enough away from the noisy bars downtown but we easily walked 20-30 minutes when we wanted lots of activities. A great relaxing week. We will return to VIlla Del Palmar..

1 Thank FamilyGuy3
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at Villa Del Palmar and were hesitant based on past reviews. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of food, service and location. We had the all inclusive package which was well worth it. The food was good and this is coming from 2 very picky eaters. The service was also good although a few times I had to go find a server to get a drink at the pool. I didn't really notice servers paying special attention to 'good tippers" as previous reviews have stated. We did the timeshare presentation, ended up saying no, and still had a great trip. I even left a pair of jeans at the hotel, they found them in my room and are still holding them for me for when I return ($50 to ship them to me!!, no thanks!!). I would recommend this to any couple looking for a good inexpensive getaway. We are very picky and we had a great time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aredtsg
Ann Arbor
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The view, the food and the service were quite nice. The rooms were not very clean - smelled like mildew especially right after being cleaned. The pools are kind of small for such a big resort. I imagine there would have been no place to sit if the resort was even half full (it was pretty empty when we were there). My biggest complaint about the resort is that it is too far from Cabo itself. It is a 10 -15 dollar cab ride anytime you want to go into town. If you don't care about never leaving the resort, then this place is fine, but if you want to go out to dinner or go into the harbor for fishing - it gets old taking a cab every time. The waves and the current at the beach were too dangerous for swimming and the minute you stepped on the sand you were accosted by all the peddlers. If you are going to go fishing you will miss breakfast and lunch and the resort will not prepare food for you to take (even if you pay for all-inclusive)

1 Thank facjkg
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have never seen such dedicated, hardworking staff. From bellhops, to pool servers, to bartenders, to housekeeping. Our every need or want was fulfilled quicker than you can say "Uno mas!" By day two they knew mine and my children's names and even helped me celebrate my son's 18th birthday during the evening's entertainment. If I could host them all at my house for a week, I'd do it! We left feeling like family and I cannot wait to get back.
This property is truly underrated!
S Ross

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Stephani R
canada
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This resort is amazing! It is a smaller resort so you dont have to walk miles to the beach or pool area which is great. Most rooms have an ocean view and every room is large, clean and provides guests with everything they could need, including a full fridge, stove, plates, cups, etc etc.
This is totally a place that pays off to go all inclusive, Food and drink off the AI plan are expensive!!! Much better plan to just sit back and relax and go on the all inclusive plan. The food here is unlike any other AI I have been to. It is fantastic! Large portions, not the typicall buffet only selection. They have fabulous resturants, a stone oven for some of the best pizza I have ever had and food around the pool is exceptional.
There are fabulous pool facilities, a kids club, beautiful spa and amazing beach...AND YES YOU CAN SWIM IN THE OCEAN! fabulous warm ocean wanter and a large heated pool (3 pools actually) A super fun whale slide and a fabulous hot tub overlooking the beach so you can just kick back and relax!
There is great snorkeling just a 5 minute water taxi ride away at Pelican rock. Lovers beach and the famous Arch are also about a 5 minute water taxi ride away($5)

For those wanting to get out of the resort walls, there is a Costco, Walmart, banking and the downtown core all within a 5-10 minute public bus ride ($.50c) You can even walk down the beach to the marina in about 20 minutes if you like.

Overall an amazing gem in Cabo. We will be back this year! Cant wait!

Room Tip: request an ocean view