We were in Cabos (2 other resorts) for a 3 week vacation, and had to stay on for an extra 5 days at the last minute (due to Hurricane Irene.) We got a good deal at the Villa del Palmar, and decided to take it, since this part of our trip was an unexpected expense. This is the 5th resort I have stayed at over the last few years in Cabos.
We arrived early (since we were already in town.) We were told that there was only 1 room available if we wanted to check in right away. We took a look at it, and were very unimpressed (it was on the ground floor with no view.) We decided to wait until later in the day (after people had checked out.) This turned out to be slightly inconvenient, since we could not unpack, however, in the end it was a GREAT decision. Our room (1310) was quiet and had a beautiful ocean view w/ the most gorgeous sunrises & sunsets. I looked forward to them everyday! If you prefer a more quiet room, definitely ask for a room that does not face the pool, as it is rather noisy there.
The 1BR suite is spacious and comfortable, the marble in the kitchen and bathroom areas looks really nice, but the cabinetry below it seems kind of beat up. My only complaints about the room were teeny, tiny, pesky ants in the kitchen area (I tried in vain to keep the area super clean by washing all dishes and cleaning all crumbs, but the ants were still hanging around.) The other issue was that the master bath had the hot and cold shower handles marked incorrectly. The water got very hot, very quickly, & I was worried that I might forget and burn myself so I always took my showers in the 2nd bathroom!
If you have kids who can swim, they will LOVE the whale slide. My son must have went on it 100 times a day. The only problem is that there is noone watching at the top or bottom to make sure people are out of the way when the next person is coming down, so you need to be careful. I didn't use the adult pool at all b/c my son was always in the lower whale pool area. However, the pools seemed small and I could not imagine they would be big enough to accomodate all guests if the place was busy. We were there off season, so thankfully, this wasn't a problem. The lower pool area is very loud all day, which can get annoying at times. The pool water seemed pretty murky from sunscreen and whatever else, so I wasn't enticed to swim in it, although I did quick dunks to cool off. My biggest pet peeve was that the bottom of the pool was very rough, and ripped my feet up. I wanted to do water aerobics and water volley ball, but my feet couldn't take the bottom. Even the built in benches inside the pool were rough and would ruin your bathing suit.
I can't comment on the food b/c we prepared food in our room or ate elsewhere, however we did order their brick oven pizza twice, and it was very good.
I wasn't keen on the drinks, but maybe that's b/c I wasn't drinking beer or frozen drinks...rather vodka & various juices. For whatever reason, the juice just tasted bad, and when I switched to something different, it tasted like heavy grenadine syrup instead of cranberry juice. You would probably have no complaints if ordering frozen drinks, smoothies or beers. I was pleased that the drink prices were more reasonable than some of the other resorts I have stayed at, especially since I was not on the all inclusive plan. I wish they would start their Happy Hour at 3 instead of 4.
The staff overall was very nice and accomodating (except for our cleaning lady.) The activites staff had lots of activites going on throughout the day, and were most enthusiastic.
It is a little too far to walk to town on the streets, but on foot, by way of the beach, you can walk down to other restaurants and activities in about 20 minutes. You can defintiely negotiate prices for activities once you are walking along the beach strip.
I love to swim in the ocean, but most days the red flag was up and it was just too rough to swim in front of our resort. Again, you can walk down the beach with your towels to calmer water. One way to make the journey quicker is to take the trolley service to their more upscale sister resort (Villa del Arco) and cut through their property out to the beach. The trolley trip is only about 3 minutes.
Be warned that even though the TV advertisements in the room suggest that guests of the Palmar and the Arco can share each other's facilities...this is not the case. Don't bring your green Palmar towels to the Villa Del Arco, or you will be kindly told to leave (you can hang out there and charge drinks and food to your room at the Palmar, but you can't have your towels. Also, you cannot use the Arco's gym if you are at the Palmar. However, the Palmar gym is mostly acceptable with decent cardio equipment (except that they have no mats for doing sit-ups.)
Overall, b/c we got in last minute for a great price, it was a good value for the money. However, I personally prefer the Villa Del Arco, as the rooms are nicer with bigger balconies, the drinks are better and it is just a more quiet and relaxing vibe. Also it has a better gym and is closer to town and activities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa is a stunning escape for family getaways and romantic couple's retreats. Located on Médano Beach just one mile from downtown Cabo San Lucas, the exquisite resort offers the ultimate in lively entertainment, family-friendly amenities, indulgent experiences, and world-class service. Allow the sweeping vistas and gorgeous landscapes to render you speechless as you turn one of the 460 comfortable one, two and three bedroom suites, as well as private studios into your luxurious home away from home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort And Spa Los Cabos
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Cabo San Lucas Villa Del Palmar
- Villa Del Palmar Los Cabos
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos Cabo San Lucas