“The best things in life surprise you...”

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“The best things in life surprise you...”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We ended up booking our stay when we were already in Cabo. We were staying with family and it went sour and had to leave fast. Villa Palmar was a decision made in 1 hurried hour online and we spent 6 days there all-inclusive and it totally converted us to the way of the all-inclusive resort hotel. My next vacation will be at the Palmar in Puerto Vallarta (just to mix it up).

So - it's Great for kids. There's all kinds of ages of kids (mine is 6) and it's a very active and participatory resort. Kids games (musical chairs and musical hats by the pool) and adult games (tequila volleyball - don't ask!).

And the "MCs" (organizers of the activities) are all great. We had Lili, Ramon and Ana. They were all great but I had a personal soft spot for Lili who's smile totally radiated her personality. Don't tell my wife I said that.

You won't regret visiting unless you're the curmudgeonly misanthrope type in which case you should probably stay home.

2 Thank badbrownie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,432)
Reviewed April 11, 2011

good services, excellent food and very reasonable.
I give them a 10+, we will came back.

St. Clair, Michigan
Reviewed April 11, 2011

This was my second trip to Cabo, and I plan to return. The first time I stayed at the Melia, and had a much better time at Villa Del Palmar. There are so many more activities, and there is always something to do. The food was wonderful, the beaches were great, and I can not wait to go back. I especially enjoyed the activities in the pool area, they are always so much fun.

Michigan
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Recently renovated. Sewerage smell in the mornings or whenever there is an off-shore wind. The sewer plant in across the road. Internet is pricey. Very nice spa--probably the best in Cabo. Kitchens are a plus, and one bedroom units have two baths. Plenty of good hot water--good showers. Onsite grocery, shops, internet cafe. Restaurants reasonably priced. We enjoyed the hot tub near the beach. There is a second one, but it was out of order for most of our vacation. Lots of college break students, but they behaved reasonably and resort watches for excessive drinking. I would recommend this resort to young travelers or families. The whale slide is a great feature. Don't miss two-for-one ice cream cones. Easy walk to town. Has a swimming beach.

Room Tip: Ask for the quiet side
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
LaPorte, Indiana
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I had a great time at the Palmar, mainly because we got the room very cheap and who can complain about that. Cabo is beautiful so we focused our attention on that! The Palmar is a nice place for families, and it is a great place to stay, but I would have rather stayed somewhere where there was more adults. The all inclusive food and drink were very nice, even though the service was so so. My husband and I had fun!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
nebraska
Reviewed April 7, 2011

We were offered a "deal" to visit Villa del Palmar. we grabbed it. Check in was OK but lots to sign and we were given our timeshare presentation package while in line to check in.
Room was nice but not very clean.
Food was OK.buffet became redundant.....but much better then RUI
Drinks....good
Pools..so dirty you could not see the bottom until our last day....noisy pool is NOISY!! So many teens and baby's everywhere.
Service.....NONE!! Order a bucket of beer if you want more than one in a few hours...or3 drinks or bottles of water.(riu was excellent service and they learn your name and get to know you) Only one day did we get better service and we tipped 15.00. We also tipped at every meal even though we did All inclusive. Some of the servers were happy and others just nasty! There is NO romantic dinners here! You can complain and it goes NO WHERE!! I told them to check here as they would see what people say.You can only buyONE drink to take to your room on the AI so you can not sit and enjoy several on your balcony.
Gym...very small...several timeshare owners came in and could not get a machine.I would have been angry.
The time share presentation for 90 minutes.NOT!!!!! WOW 4 hours later and CEASER was getting so mean we simply said we are done. We are debating between a timeshare, condo or home....and exploring our options.He accused us of doing this all the time for great rate....we have only been on ONE timeshare and are learning about them, I would NOT drop 135,000.00 plus 2900.00 a year for 30 year with out "thinking"about it...or the fact they are a fraction on the web. The people/guests in the pool were all complaining and some were interested in buying until dealing with these people! We were all given different pricing and info too.... Ceasar also told us we were taking up a room they could be getting 300-400 a night for and wasting their space. AGAIN they called us with a package.
I would not recommend this to anyone who wants to relax or honeymoon. Time share people are everywhere..very noisy...food is VERY expensive if not doing AI...breakfast buffet for 3 was 75.00.
I sure hope they read these and make some changes..with all the turmoil in Mexico they need all the tourism they can get!

Room Tip: check the web!!
3 Thank SEA S
Everett, Washington
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Overall, this is a good place to stay if you have very young children, but the resort has some serious service issues and inefficiencies that prevent my whole-hearted recommendation. Some of these problems could be easily remedied with policy changes and retraining of staff. Hopefully, the resort listens to customer feedback and takes action on the feedback they receive. This is a place I would stay again if I knew they had made some changes.

One positive aspect of this resort is that it is geared towards families with children. We were travelling with our 20 month old son, and felt completely safe with him in the room (no baby proofing required), around the pool and in the restaurants. Between naps, we spent a total of 6 hours a day at the baby pool. Our son really enjoyed the pool, especially the little waterfalls and water spouts. We really appreciated the fact that the water was heated too. The best part was we got our food and drinks delivered poolside, and there were things on the menu (french fries, chicken nuggets, apple juice) that he could eat.

The check-in process at Villa del Palmar is incredibly inefficient and frustrating. We had stayed at Villa del Palmar in Puerto Vallarta several years ago and had the same problems with check-in there. The people in line ahead of us were having some kind of probelm with their credit card and were incredibly frustrated. They had obviously been at check-in for a long time. I asked staff repeatedly if there was anybody else who could help us, but there was no one. After an hour wait, another staff member finally opened another line. We were absolutely exhausted after 12 hours of travel with a 1 1/2 year old child, so this was a very negative experience for us.

When we FINALLY received our room keys, we had no idea how to get to our room. We asked at least 5 people for directions, but kept getting the wrong directions. It took us 20 minutes to find our room which was very difficult with 2 suitcases, a stroller, a carseat and small child. After we found our room, we were very disappointed to find unsafe conditions inside the room. The furniture had recently been refinished and the entire unit smelled like paint solvent. These chemicals are not safe for a small child so we had to request another room. This took an additional 40 minutes. We were very satisfied with the room we ended up with, but it took 2 hours of sheer frustration and anxiety before we could finally get settled.

On a side note, I wouldn't recommend rooms on upper floors for young children as the verandas have metal railings with wide gaps. More than that, however, I worry about a child pushing a chair to the edge and climbing over. It was very important to us to get a ground floor room. I was very pleased that the check-in staff understood our concerns regarding this and both rooms we were offered were ground floor rooms.

We booked our trip right after Christmas and got a killer deal on an all-inclusive plan. Restaurant service was excellent the first two days we were at the resort. After the first 2 days, we noticed a dramatic drop-off in service levels. It was as if we ceased to exist. Wait staff in the restaurant and at the pool would look right past us. I think employees figure out whether you are going to leave extra tips or not and share this information amongst themselves. Tips are supposed to be included in the all-inclusive plan, but employees must not be getting them because they provided terrible service once they found out we weren't going to be leaving extra tips.

One example of how bad the service was: One morning we were hanging out at the children/baby pool. There were no umbrellas at all down there. We asked several employees if they could bring an umbrella as it was starting to get hot and we wanted to give our toddler a place to get out of the sun. I asked 6 different employees around the pool area and in the restaurant. Several employees said they would be right back and then never returned. Another employee told us she told her supervisor about our request. My husband finally went to the main desk at the hotel and asked the staff there to get us an umbrella. All in all, it took an hour to finally get an umbrella.

Another example: Our final night we decided to have a relaxing dinner at Bella California, the beachside restaurant. We were seated promptly by a friendly waiter. He brought our drinks and appetizer within 5 minutes. He took our order for 2 steak dinners and then he DISAPPEARED for an hour. Our toddler, of course, started getting bored after the first 20 minutes. I had to walk him around the restaurant in his stroller until our food finally came. The plates were not complete. We ordered steak with red wine sauce, rice (in lieu of potato gratin), and grilled vegetables. My husband's steak was hard as a rock (completely overcooked) and he had two servings of rice and no vegetables. My steak was cooked the way I requested it, but no rice, only vegetables. Neither of us had any sauce on our plates. After 20 minutes, I finally flagged down our waiter and asked about the sauce. He just looked at me, said "yes," and walked away. 15 minutes later he returned with a bowl of brown gravy (not the sauce that was supposed to accompany the steak). We finished eating quickly as our child was starting to whine. I flagged the waiter down once more to have a look at the dessert menu. I ordered the Oreo cake. He disappeared for another 20 minutes. I chased him down once again on one of my many stroller walks around the restaurant and told him we need to leave NOW. 10 minutes later he finally brought the dessert in a styrofoam box and our receipt. This was NOT, to say the least, the relaxing dinner we had planned for our final night. The funny thing is, as I was walking around the restaurant, I saw other people who had ordered the same meal and received everything as described on the menu and in shorter time than we had. It was a horrendous dinner that lasted over 2 1/2 hours. The only explanation I can come up with was that this waiter found out from his buddies (after initially bringing our drinks and appetizer) that we would not be leaving extra tips.

One last frustration: If you want to eat the buffet breakfast at Bella California, be prepared for a LONG wait. Not only do you have to wait in line for at least 30 minutes to put your name on a list, you have to wait another 15 minutes for a waiter to come get you and take you to your table. What makes the entire process even more ridiculous is that at any given time, there are at least 5 tables sitting completely empty. Once you get a table, you then have to wait in another line to get your food (self-serve). The entire system is completely inefficient and frustrating. Good luck getting a highchair (we were told the resort only has 4 on the entire property) brought to you.

I am really torn about the thought of staying at another Villa del Palmar in the future. On one hand, the service was ridiculously bad. We tried to keep a good attitude and not let it ruin our vacation but it was a huge inconvenience feeling like we were completely on our own, having to get forks, knives, napkins, coffee, highchair, etc. from the waiter area ourselves. On the other hand, I felt very safe and comfortable in the room and at the pool with my 20-month old. Housekeeping was great; a few pool waiters (Esther) were great. Practically everybody we interacted with was very friendly toward our very flirtatious toddler. There are plenty of people at this resort that work very hard to make it a great place; it's just sad to see how others are ruining it. It would be interesting to see if leaving extra tips would have made a difference in the service level.

Room Tip: Request new room asap; try next day if none avail.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family