“Would go back”

Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
new york
“Would go back”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed in June for a week and used my parents' timeshare. We chose this resort because of the location to downtown and the swimable beach. Also, friends of ours were staying at at Casa Dorada, very close by. Overall, we had a really great experience. We did not do the all inclusive as we wanted to experience the retaurants in town every night and we typically don't eat breakfast.

We found the staff to be friendly especially at the pool. We spent a lot of days at the pool and the waiters are VERY attentive. They bring food and drinks quickly and the prices are not as expensive as I expected. There are certain times of the day when drinks are buy 1 get 1 so it really cuts down on the bill (it was never more than $60). The pool is huge but it is a very busy pool with all kinds of people: young, old, kids, teens, party people, chair hogs, etc. Also, as you get closer to the weekend you need to get to the pool early to secure a chair as people will put towels down on rows of them for their family/friends. There are pool activities throughout the day that are very entertaining and our friends that stayed at a different hotel (a fancier place) came over a few times just to people watch and hang out.

There is a store on the property where you can buy food, drinks, snacks, etc. and it is also a deli. It is VERY pricey so I would recommend making a trip to Walmart or Costco once at teh beginning of your trip if you are staying for awhile and stock up. Expecially on water. It's expensive.

The wifi does not work well at all. I believe you can pay to have it in your room for $15 a day but the designated area for free wifi near the cafe kinda sucked. There is a room with computers but you have to pay per half hour to use them.

We were only asked once about a timeshare and we said no thank you. End of story. We were never bothered again.

The rooms were basic but did the job. I was satisfied but we didn't spend much time in our room anyway so I didn't care much.

Overall, I would go back because o the friendly staff and great location. We had no major issues and a great trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ashley m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (940)
California
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was my first time to Cabo. We have a condo in La Paz and we love it there. For twelve years we have enjoyed traveling down Baja, however I was under the mind that Cabo was too Touristee. My wife convinced me as she had a friend who donated her timeshare at Rosé to us. I was skeptical but when we arrived I was impressed. I really liked the grounds well kept a little dated. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We met a woman named Martha of the staff who commented on my wife's beauty and what a lovely couple we made. She saw to it that we were very comfortable and happy. We had a wonderful time. The beach was awesome with all the energy and goings on.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the beach you pay more but we were of the mind of being outside from sun up to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pescado777
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Nothing to great with this one...We did the all-inclusive seems the staff will treat you the way you tip them, so small tip=bad service, good tip=good service. That really got annoying. Trying to order a drink from the bar is a joke, I stood there for 15 minutes and they just looked around me. Maids never came til super late, which we were already in our room by then so she cleaned our room once while we were there for 7 days.

Clean and pretty hotel and great location. I really liked their food, not really the buffet but off the menu.

Think I will not be going to Mexico again though, too money hungry..really gets annoying!

Room Tip: They are the same im sure.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rann h
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Rann H,

Thank´s a lot for your comments, we are very concern about all this issues that happened during your stay, right now we are working with all the staff from the pools and restaurants in order to eliminate this type of attitude, we definitely apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

We also thank you for the good comments you make about the hotel.

Best Regards,
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

My family and I, took a trip to Cabo and stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Rose resort. I was very impressed with the staff. They took excellent care of us during our week long vacation. During the day, we loved being at pool side and having "Wilver" as our server. Wilver was very attentive to our needs as well as to the rest of the people he was serving. He made our day very easy ans answered all our questions. Wilver was very knowledgeable and professional with his service. I hope that when I go back to Pueblo Bonito Rose, he is still available to provide excellent service. Thx very much for the greatest experience of our lives!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank diesel033
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We truly appreciate your kind remarks and we feel very happy to hear that our staff members made you feel welcome and comfortable, we'll make sure to pass your recognition to Wilver.
Hope to see you again anytime soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Was here for 7 days in June, and absolutely loved it! Service was incredibly wonderful...including poolside food and beverages. The suite was oceanfront with fantastic balcony views. Room was furnished nicely, and daily cleaning service great. The all inclusive plan offered is a great value, and I enjoyed the restaurants there and sharing the sister hotel next door (Pueblo Bonito Blanco). The pools at both hotels are enjoyable and relaxing without being crowded. Love the beachfront location and convenience to downtown and marina area. Can also walk down beach to other restaurants and fun places. I am not sure what some of the writers of reviews expected, but think they are being a bit harsh and picky. I have traveled world-wide, and found this place very inviting...meeting all of my needs. Recommend, and will go again.

Room Tip: The views from oceanfront are incredible. Some of the rooms located further back have view blocked...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Joysea13
Martinsville, Indiana
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Rose isn't as disappointing as quite a few of the reviews that we read. With that being said... Upon checking in I would avoid Perla if you can, maybe she was having a bad week, but both encounters with her would lead anyone to this conclusion. She didn't offer any information about the resort at all upon check-in. She didn't smile, simply processed our credit card and gave us our keys. She didn't refer us to the elevators or give us any indication as to what would be going on through the week etc.
It was very busy, which is fine, however, the pool has regulations or rules as to "No reserving of seats", but they DID NOT enforce that. The pool was very busy after 8:00 am and that lasts all day long. We went to the pool a little early to get a good spot, around 7:30 am, upon arriving we notice each cabana was already staged with towels, but no guests and the same with chairs all around the pool. There were some chairs that were "Reserved" for somewhere on the upwards of 2-3 hours without anyone ever using them, while other guests were searching for an "empty" chair. We didn't really eat at the restaurants at the resort due to the fact that no information was given upon check-in. They offer an all-inclusive package and it appears that the main restaurant caters more towards that option. We did attend the Mexican Fiesta next door at Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos - it was a good show, but we were quoted one price $35 each, however, upon arriving it was $45 per person.
It was nice that they offer the shuttle to their sister resort - Pueblo Bonito Sunset; WOW it is a very big resort, many great pools, but it seems very inconvenient as you either have to walk miles upon miles of flowing hills to get anywhere or be carted around on golf carts.
Let's move on to check out, it was very smooth, we actually paid our bill on Friday night, which made Saturday morning very smooth. With that said, the bellman were a little rude and disappointed that we had private transportation arranged.
I suppose you get what you paid for, but the "FREE WIFI" was almost non-existent. I would say that if you had an "app" that usually worked better than anything, but getting on the internet was nearly impossible.
Overall I would say that the room was very more appealing than other reviews, the neighbors above us were a little inconsiderate as they seemed to rearrange their furniture about 11 pm each night and the lady of the house seemed to really like to wear her heals at ALL hours of the night.
It is a big resort, so of course we had to get a room that was right between both elevators, so it was never a quick walk anywhere. The view was good -- we were above the pool area by one of the large bird sanctuaries, we could not hear the noise from the pool, so that was nice.
I would recommend staying there if you like the big family get together atmosphere, but peace and quiet might not be found here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us a detailed explanation about your experience. In particular I regret you got such a bad impression about Perla, I would like to mention that we have received a lot of comments highlighting her great attitude of service and efficiency. Please know in advance that we have shared your comments with her and all the staff involved in customer service.

I would also like to mention, that Pueblo Bonito Rosé has a Concierge Desk where you can find all the information of services, restaurants, and other activities both inside and outside the hotel.

The procedure of no lounge chairs reservations is done every day and we have a control of the guest's arrival time at the pool area, as we have to respect the time that we indicate otherwise towels and belongings are removed. Perhaps this reviewer saw some lounge chairs reserved, but probably was within the range of time.

The Wi-Fi service has a charge, as do many hotels worldwide, however for the convenience of our guests we have a free area in both Pueblo Bonito Rosé and Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos. Guests at any hotel, can use both properties.

We truly appreciate your kind remarks about our sister Resort Pueblo Bonito Sunset and we hope to welcome you anytime soon!

Yours respectfully,
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We didn't choose this resort. We have friends that own a timeshare there and were trying to unload it this year so we went with a great deal. As it turns out, it wasn't worth the even the small amount we paid for it.

We found the entire staff to be snarky and disinterested. Some even outright lied to us (check in staff). We did not do the AI which was a good thing. There are too many amazing restaurants in Cabo to limit yourself to what appears a disappointing experience here.

PROS:

Great location, $6 cab ride into town or you walk about 15 minutes to be in the Harbor.
Swimmable beach right in front of the resort.
Air Conditioning is ice cold. We loved it.

CONS:

Rooms ONLY have double beds. Seriously, it was downright painful sleeping with another adult in this bed. Pillows were like bags of craft batting. They did however have a pillow menu that you could order a new. Of course, they didn't bring the correct ones up

Housekeeping didn't come until dinner time. We had to call 3 days in a row so we could get clean towels so we could shower and go out to dinner!

I personally don't have a problem with people saving their pool chairs AS LONG as they are only gone from them 30 minutes or so. Someone however had their items in a cabana and NEVER came back for the entire day.

We were NEVER approached by any waiter at the pool until the 5th day we were there!

Resort is run down and is need of some major remodeling. Sidewalks need to be hosed down as they were filthy.

Kitchenette is almost unusable. It's in the entry way and is really just a passthrough. Minimal dishes, etc. Impossible to cook a meal. Frig/Freezer didn't keep things cold. The ice melted in the freezer. The smaller bar frig was totally inoperable and they refused to get us a new one.

Don't forget or run out of your sunscreen.....a spray can is $24 in the deli. If you walk out of the resort and turn left, go down 1 block, there is a little grocery store that you can purchase water, soda, beer, sunscreen, snacks for a fraction of what the deli charges.

I love Cabo but I absolutely HATE the timeshare sharks that are everywhere. All the restaurants, on the beach, in the harbor, at the grocery store, at the taxi stand. It can really put a damper on your vacation.

On a positive note, my son caught a trophy sailfish. Almost 100lbs! It was exciting!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Travelingtheworld61
We thank our reviewer for all the observations mentioned above. Unfortunately, in Pueblo Bonito Rose we don't have rooms with king size beds, but our maids do an excellent job anchoring both beds together, we feel sorry that our reviewer felt uncomfortable, but that is the only alternative we have at the moment. We sincerely regret any inconveniences that we may have caused to this family and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in a near future.

Kind Regards,