New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Weston, Massachusetts
“JUST AWFUL!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Not sure what room another reviewer was fortunate to get, but ours was disgusting. Blood stains on the sheets! Moldy, water- stained walls, dirty, old, and broken down. Kitchen counter was broken, microwave was broken, poor lighting, etc. etc. Showers clogged, furniture cheap and nasty - not to mention old. A mish mash of junk. They have to rehab the whole place. Even the pool decking needed a good scrubbing. Birds all over the buffet, eating the food from plates and utensils. Spots and leftover food on the plates and glassware. Do not spend your good money here. They're not spending ANYTHING on the place and you will be really disappointed. Also, I can't forget to mention the constant timeshare harrang. Just obnoxious. But, Cabo itself is fantastic! Just find a higher-end hotel in same location. Or rent a condo. There are some beautiful properties there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jne111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
Colorado Springs, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the last week of April. The timing was great for Cab San Lucas weather and not a lot of crowds.

The hotel was pretty nice for the price. We rented a “Luxury” one bedroom suite (about $180 night). The suite itself was comfortable enough and the kitchen adequate (2-burner stove, med size refrigerator, sink, microwave – no oven). The room was on the 5th floor with a nice view but there was a lot of noise from some nearby mechanical equipment (air conditioners I think). The staff was excellent (we tipped well which helped, I’m sure). No problem with “time-share” folks hassling us as I’ve read in other reviews – we were asked a couple times but firmly said we were not interested and were left alone. Very easy walk to the tourista area in town (walk the back-roads as the beach is a bit arduous to walk because it is steep in places).

The hotel is right on the beach so beach access was great. They have a beach roped-off area for guests with full service. We ordered plenty of cocktails beach-side ~ drinks are about $11 but typically 2 for 1 so not too expensive. The beach / water / swimming conditions were GREAT from this hotel.

We opted-out of the all-inclusive as it was too expensive ($88 per person per day) and seldom worth it. We shopped at Walmart (about a mile away and has food as well as alcohol) and cooked healthy meals for MUCH less and ate out as we wanted. We heard several disparaging remarks about the food quality from other guests but can’t personally comment.
The hotel water was fine to cook/shower but we bought bottle water to drink.

One real pain was that people put beach towels on all of the sun chairs early in the morning and leave them there, to “save” their place, all day. The sun chairs would go um-used while others had no place to sit. I saw sun chairs go unused for hours while others had no place to sit. Ridicules and very inconsiderate. This was really prevalent at this hotel – they need a policy that unattended towels will be collected and returned. This was enough of a hassle to make me consider going elsewhere for our next trip to Cabo.

Right next door was their “sister hotel” Pueblo Bonito Blanco which had better ocean views from the rooms due to the way it was built. We checked that place out and it seemed every bit as nice as Rose with the same amenities – we might stay in that place next time.

Room Tip: Rooms are # 1-43...Select rooms in the 10-30 range if possible (510, 420, 315, etc.) Too low and you...
2 Thank al_ferguson01
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for your kind remarks and for taking the time to review us.
Hope to welcome you to Pueblo Bonito Rosé anytime soon.

Best,
Goyita Osako, General Manager
Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed there December 2012 with family. We had a wonderful 2 bedroom, 2 bath room with a well appointed kitchen. VERY impressed with the size and décor of the room.

The dining venues were OK. Nothing to brag about. Expensive though. The pool area was very nice. Large lots of deck chairs and not to many kids to deal with. The beach was good also. A lot of beach chairs to go with a lot of venders. I got really tired of saying NO Thanks.

The service was average. It seamed only the Bartenders went out of their way for gests.
My only real complaint it seems that every time you walk into the lobby someone tries to get you into a timeshare presentation. My daughter & son-in-law already own and they try to get you to buy more anyway, Very annoying after a couple of days.

Overall we all loved the hotel. The grounds were breathtaking and the view of the bay was to die for. Will we go back? Hard to say, not really in love with Cabo .

Room Tip: Every room has a breathtaking view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wallingford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is my first bad review in almost 70 reviews and it kills me to write.

I am giving this review a Poor review over terrible for the simple fact, that the hotel itself might have been lovely to look at, but the people and service were the absolute worst I have ever encountered in all of Mexico!

We booked our trip through Liberty Travel for my 30th Birthday. We have worked with Liberty for 8 years and have had nothing but top notch service. We paid for a 5 night stay in a king size bed room with ocean view. After stalking TA as I usually do prior to a trip, I noted other people saying that the hotel was saying there was no king beds. I contacted Liberty Travel because my husband is a larger man and we can not sleep together in a full bed. She called the hotel directly and the front desk confirmed that the hotel offers true king beds. We also had a request for early check in and the front desk confirmed with Liberty that it would be no problem at all and would get us into a room when we arrived.

We arrived to the hotel on Tuesday 4/16 at 3PM, normal check-in time is 4, so it was should have been a breeze. We were told there was no rooms available. We were told there was no king size beds at all in the hotel, and we were told that there was no oceanview, which is what we paid for. I got Liberty on the phone with the hotel and it was a waste of time. They said they never would have told her they had king beds and early check in and me paying for oceanview, with a high room request never would have happened. Liberty even noted the time, date, and the person they spoke to. The front desk manager said they would never have told her any of that information. Front desk was down right rude to me as well as my travel agent. Left a bad taste right from the start.

At 4 on the dot, after sitting in the lobby for an hour, we were given a room, room 2023. 2 full beds, wasn't able to sleep in the same bed as my husband for the entire week. We also had a view of nothing, we were not even close to the water. When you looked out we saw the swan pool.

The walls are very thin in in the hotel. At 4 in the morning we heard a domestic dispute in one room and a party in the other room on the side of us. And above us you heard the guests every foot step. There are also only 3 shallow drawers to put your close, Needless to say we lived out of the suitcase which was a pain. Shower goes from hot to cold to scolding hot and back to cold. Be careful

Internet is a joke, you need to go into a small common area to get the free internet and it's wicked slow. Barely usable at time if there were a lot of people.

We had such terrible customer service at the front desk that we decided that we were not going to spend any time at the hotel what-so-ever. We did not want to give anymore money here and be treated like 3rd class citizens so I can not comment on the pool or bars or food at the hotel at all. We woke up each day, showered and enjoyed our entire vacation while not on the property and only came back to change or sleep.

I would suggest staying anywhere but this hotel. There are much nicer hotels on Medano Beach and even right near Medano Beach that have much better service then this hotel.

4 Thank Holly P
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The PB Rose is nicely situated on Medano Beach, one of the few swimmable ones in Cabo (caution: there’s still a strong undertow and powerful waves, so be careful). Rooms are nice, clean, and spacious and are all within a few steps of the pool and beach. The pool itself is large, and even though there are a lot of beach chairs it's a good idea to get up early and save a spot for yourself. There is a pool bar, but it's not a swim-up bar like we had hoped. Drink and food service is available poolside. There's also a beachfront bar with great views. You can sit at the bar itself or at one of the nearby tables. A handful of restaurants are either on the premises or next door at the Pueblo Bonito Blanco. The food was generally pretty good as far as resort fare goes. If you decide to go off the resort, there are plenty of choices in town or down the beach. The only issues we had were with the service and sales pitches. Service can be very spotty, even impolite at times, so be patient and don't expect your orders to arrive in a timely manner. I also found that the staff wasn't the best at explaining things or giving out directions. But even that wasn't as bad as the frustratingly regular attempts to book you on a “tour” of their Sunset Beach property. Said tour apparently offers you free transport to their other resort and free vouchers for services, but makes you sit through a timeshare sales presentation. We were propositioned about it at most meals for the first couple of days. And this was after having run the gauntlet of salespeople upon arrival at the airport. I understand that it's a tourist area, but it came across as pushy and cheesy. The resort couldn’t even resist one last attempt to push something at check out: when I questioned why our additional room charges were double the amount I had authorized, they told me that this was due to an added “donation” to a local foundation they support. They removed the “donation” per my request, but it left me with a bad feeling. The one excursion we did was an all-day snorkeling tour through Cabo Pulmo. We liked the snorkeling, especially with sea lions, though the two-hour drive to the site made for a long day. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the PB Rose. It would have been better without the spotty service and sales pitches, but if you're looking for an easy getaway in a nice setting and don't mind all the touristy stuff, this is a halfway decent option.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank beaugosse12
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We owned with Bluegreen and exchanged to Pueblo Bonito Rose thru RCI. We have had our eye on this resort since we first seen it in the RCI book. We booked 2 one bedroom units with this hotel 1 1/2 years ago for last week. Check in was the best we have ever experienced. The receptionist was friendly and there was no wait at all. Our rooms were nice enough. The cleaning staff was top notch. We left our safe open one day and nothing was taken. We tipped her extra for that. On to the dissapointing part. All the reviews about the chair hogs are correct. The first couple days we found chairs for the 4 of us. After that, not once were we able to get a chair and it got worse as the week went on. I was up at 6am sitting on my balcony when I saw 2 women "reserve" 7 chairs with their towels and then walk away fully dressed and with coffee in hand. There were a group of people that would put there Blue and Green chair covers on the same chairs every day which were there before I even got up in the morning. The pool activities were annoying in the afternoon. There was no just relaxing on your balcony. Then a group of guyswere put in the room above us for our last couple nights. I never call and complain but our last night I had to call twice to get them to quiet down. They would yell and scream and stomp and drag stuff across the floor. It was by far the noisiest hotel I have ever been in. The front desk staff responded promptly and they would quiet for short periods of time and then start up again and at one point at 3am they yelled something and stomped on the floor which you could tell was intentional to get back at us. The beach vendors are respectful when told no but they congregate outside the hotel. There was no walking on the beach without having to constantly tell them no. The closer you walk towards the Marina the worse it became. We were even offered drugs a few hotels down from the Rose. The further away you got from the Marina the fewer vendors and more peaceful. We only ate once at the hotel as it was extremely expensive. We ate at a few resaurants in town. I think the one right down from the hotel was called LaRazons and that had great shrimp and drinks. Not cheap but worth going to. We also want to give a shout out to Los Cabos Winery. They have awesome food. The owner and staff are just wonderful. Jorge 1 and Jorge 2 were so attentive. Great piano music. It's off the beaten path and most locals don't even know where it is when asked but the cabbies know. It's worth a reservation. The place is smaller and the attention to the guests and food is awesome. I will definately go back to Cabo but not to this resort chain.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor or you will have people stomping on your head.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank StacyK6
Rokkasho-mura, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have been to Pueblo Bonito many times and have always been highly satisfied. This trip was no different. Having pre-booked some services, we were disappointed when we found out that that had been misrepresented prior to our arrival. However, all our our concerns were very quickly addressed and rectified by the manager, Yazmin. Our problems disappeared and we had a wonderful stay and thoroughly enjoyed a great hotel. The all-inclusive has greatly improved since its inception. Food, service, rooms, etc. are all great. The setting remains pristine and relaxing. Will certainly continue to go to Pueblo Bonito.

1 Thank DNJM1983
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We would like to thank for being such a loyal guest to Pueblo Bonito Rose, we are very happy to hear that you had a really nice time during your stay with us, we appreciate your positive attitude and we're already waiting to welcome you next year.

Goyita Osako, General Manager