“Love our first time there but VERY disappointed this time!!”
Review of Pueblo Bonito Rose

Pueblo Bonito Rose
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Four years ago we spent a week at the Rose and love it. Loved it so much that we decided to go back again this February. I have to be honest and say that from the moment we checked in until we checked out it was a lot of disappointment. It started out with check in and even though my sister made the reservation under one name for two rooms we ended up on oposite ends of the resort. The front desk staff said they were unable to move us closer even though the reservation and been made 9 months ago. After a lot of discussion we were told that if we waited until the next day we could be moved to the side of the building (with my sister and her husband) though not on the same floor. We decided to do that even though it was still a pain because we always go to Walmart and shop for groceries and then share the food. Not being next to each other or near made it much more difficult to do this. The next day we had to check out of the one room at 10 am but couldn't check in to the other room until 1 pm. When we finally got to the new room it didn't have a refrigerator but a mini bar frig. I had to call and ask to have that removed and a regular frig brought in. I also had to call and ask later that day for a hairdryer and there was a holder for one in the bathroom but wasn't one there. Warning...If you go here with your children watch out for the showers. The water goes from warm to cold to scalding constantly. It's bad enough for an adult but if you had children it would be scary!! The timeshare agents are a pain!!! They just won't leave you alone and they all seem to give you different offers. They bug you at the check in area, pool, out front, you just can't get away from them!

There are things we really do enjoy about the resort like location. It's so easy to walk downtown and shop, have dinner at The Office, Mango Deck, etc. Also the view is beautiful, pool is great and we love watching the whales, sea lions, boats and water activities. I also had a massage while I was there and it was wonderful.

As much as we like some of the things about this resort I don't think it would make up for the problems!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children, friends or family and want to be in rooms near each other good l...
2  Thank nanaandpapaof6
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear reviewer.-

We are very sorry that in this occasion Pueblo Bonito Rosé did not meet this reviewer’s expectations. Fortunately the occupancy of the hotel has been very high and it is very difficult for us to fulfill special requirements about rooms next door to each other, even this guest made it in advance. When the occupancy allows us, of course we do our best effort to fulfill any guest’s requirement. Some of our units have refrigerator and hotel rooms have a mini-fridge and a kitchenette, if our reviewer moved from one room to another, it is probably that it could have been a hotel room, although it is completely equipped as the rest of the units. I am sorry if the hair dryer was missing, but it was sent once it was asked to our Call Center. Remarks about the shower are taken into consideration to be revised. Be sure that our main philosophy is our guest’s satisfaction and we will continue reinforcing all these issues.

Yours cordially,

Goyita Osako, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,500)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I came here w/ 5 other friends for a "girl's only" getaway. This resort is very pretty. The rooms seem a bit old but it's very well maintained & the staff is friendly. I looked @ other options but chose this one since 2 of the girls have a timeshare here & we wanted to be @ the same hotel. Also, I stayed at their sister resort ( Blanco) next door before & it was nice. Check-in was quick & easy & we were upgraded to an Executive Ste. because of mtc. issues w/ our originally booked Luxury Ste. The room was decent & very spacious. We spent 4 nights in this room & when my roomie flew home today I switched to a Jr. Ste. since I was staying an add'l night. Jr. Ste. is also spacious. The only issues I have (& they're minute) is the shower head pressure is too light & the beds in this room are lumpy. Luckily, I can sleep on a rock if needed. Pool area is nice & it was nice that at this time of year there aren't many children around. We only ate the breakfast buffet here & it was good however not worth $20; maybe $15. And, I never ate the fruit because it was always swarmed by bugs. We had a panini for lunch @ the deli 1 day & it was delish.

Back to my extra night ordeal real quick. There are 2 things to be aware of:
1) If you try to book an extra night through the front desk they ridiculously over charge you. You have to pull out your laptop & book it online to get the lower rate. I found this pretty stupid.
2) When I did book online, I had to turn around & email the reservation conf. # to them. I was told at that time what my room # was and that that room was being held for me. Well, when I checked out & checked back in, I was given a totally diff room. Not a biggie, but it was a lot of zig zag walking to get to it.

We spent most of our days on the beach & there was never an issue getting chairs; even at noon time. However, the chairs are too close together. Not even an inch between them. I guess it's so they can have more. Every day we walked a little way down the beach to some beach bars: Mango, Billigan's & The Office. Mango's quesadillas are delish. We also spent 1 afternoon @ ME which is a couple of resorts down & much more catered toward adults. The resort will let you hang out there as long as you spend $20 pp. I actually considered this resort for this trip but so many reviews had guests complaining about the loud pool music. I have no idea what they are talking about. It wasn't loud at all & we enjoyed it. However, I don't believe it's worth its nightly price tag. Also, the abundance of beach vendors is too much. We were hit up literally every 2 min. And, this is in front of all the hotels. For the most part they weren't overly pushy but the beach bars/restaurants on Medano Beach (above mentioned bars) allowed them to come up to where you were hanging out. This was extremely annoying. It used to be roped off & they used to have "no gracias" signs you could put in the sand next to you. I don't know why they stopped that.

Ok, back to Rose. I wish the free wifi covered more ground. Also, and this is a BIG one, they are not a true all-inclusive. PLEASE don't be fooled by their AI. In my opinion, it is not worth the add'l. money esp. when even though you pay extra money for it, you can't order anything on the menus you want & many of the items are just discounted. I was stunned by this. Say you pay $100 a day for AI you will actually end up paying about $200 a day if you eat & drink here. They also have surcharges. AND, you have to pay to use the gym. What a joke. You should not have to pay for gym use. I can understand spa use but not the gym. I guess my biggest pet peeve w/ this resort is that they nickel & dime you. Also, my last night since I stayed in & I really wanted another one of those great paninis from the deli so I looked thru the guest book in the room to see what time the deli closed & it said it was open from 6a-10p. What it didn't say is that the 'kitchen' part closed at 9:30p so I threw on some street clothes & headed down there & all for nothing. I told them they need to include that in their book!

Drinks prices are outrageous. They need to extend the time of their happy hour or just lower their prices.

The hotel is an easy 10 min. or so walk to town where all the action is. Also, to the marina. We went into town every night. If you like to go out & party, the bars don't really get going 'til about 11p & stay open pretty much all night. We never got back to the hotel 'til after 3a each night so that tells all. And, a cab is only $6 each way so you can do that too. As w/ anywhere, be aware of your surroundings but Cabo is pretty safe. We actually walked into town @ 4a one morning because we wanted street tacos. We never felt unsafe.

I do want to mention 1 other thing since I brought up safety. Our 3rd night, about 9p, someone was banging on our door. And, I mean banging; not knocking. I thought it was odd an employee would be banging like & we assumed it was an employee because we weren't expecting anyone. I was in the bedroom when my friend looked thru the peep hole & said it wasn't an employee. Before I could say don't open that door, well, she opened it. It was another guest (from Australia) & he was complaining about how loud we were being when we walked across the floor & he couldn't sleep. We didn't even put our heels on 'til time to leave. We have no idea what he was hearing but it wasn't us. And, even though we were NOT being loud she kept apologizing to him & he just kept going on. She finally shut the door. I felt very unsettled after this. We went to the front desk to inform them of this as I felt threatened by his actions & I'm pretty sure I heard one of the receptionist say that the man did come & complain there too & they gave him our room #. I hope I'm wrong because no hotel/resort I know of gives out room #s of one guest to another; esp. after that person was upset w/ other guest. This is dangerous & they'd be liable if something happened to a guest because of their ignorance & negligence.

Ok, I believe I am done. I know this is long but I didn't want to miss a thing. Oh, LOVED the swans.

To sum it up:

PROS: Nice hotel/grounds. Spacious rooms. Minute walking distance from lobby/farthest rooms to beach. Very close proximity to town/marina. Good food. Good drinks. Quick & easy to get a cab. Lots of beach/pool chairs avail. even @ noon. Not many kids. Food in deli was yummy & not too pricey. Room service is quick & the margherita pizza yummy.

CONS: A totally diff. room rate booking online vs @ hotel. Not a true AI. Drinks TOO expensive. Too many bugs on food @ buffet. Put the rope out farther to keep vendors farther away. (PS We did buy some items from the vendors. But, only the ones who weren't pesky.). Don't give out room #s!!!

Pros & Cons are about even but unfortunately the cons are worse than the pros. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sheryl A
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Rose' from Feb. 15-22, 2013 and what a wonderful time we had!
The staff is very helpful and friendly and the food was always prepared perfectly.
We will be back next year.
If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

Room Tip: You want to be high enough to enjoy the view. We were on the 6th floor which was perfect. Our bed w...
1  Thank amber b
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Amber,

Thank you for your kind remarks and for taking the time to review us, it is great to hear you had a wonderful time with your husband at our resort.

Looking forward to welcome you next year.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The facility was very nice, not great. I had to renegotiate with the front desk to get the ocean view room we booked and paid for in advance. Booked an appointment with the spa for a massage and paid in advance with a prepaid coupon from attending a timeshare presetnation. Spa supervisor, Carlos, took the coupon and said he would hold it until the appt. Went back to confirm the appt two days later and they had incorrectly booked the time for our date of departure. We corrected the error and showed up for the appt on time. Carlos informed us that he had no coupon from us, was unable to get a replacement for us, even though it was issued by a sister resort, and that if we cancelled the appointment due to no coupon, we would be charged a 50% penalty for not using the service. We argued that he had the coupon and should replace it since we gave it to him,. He did offer to provide the massage for a 20% discount if we paid in cash. We declined. He sumgly said we wold be charged regardless, s owhy not pay the extra $30 and get the massage. We left and spoke to the front desk manager. She was sympathetic, but said she could not speak to the general mgr until after we had departed. I am glad I never gave them my CC to cover incidentals or would have been billed for it. Beware of the SPA!!!!!!!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our third stay at Pueblo Bonito Rose and we can't wait till next year! The best thing about the resort is it's location. You are close to the great beach restaurants, Tabasco's, The Office, Mango Deck, but far enough away not to hear the noise. The marina and town are a short walk down the beach. The staff at Rose is exceptional! They remember names and preferences and make sure you need for nothing. The rooms are clean and well cared for and all of them have a nice view of the ocean. Went to the spa this year and am kicking myself for not having gone before, it's beautiful and free! Treatments cost, but you can use the gym and sauna. I gave them only a 4 out of 5 this time because when our friends arrived late Monday night, they were told there were no more rooms. We always make our reservations when we leave, so a year in advance, she called twice from the airport to let them know she was still coming, just got delayed, and still they gave her room away. So for that they lost some points with me.

Room Tip: Some tall palm trees can block the view, so higher rooms or lower rooms are best.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is my second time to this resort and this stay was as wonderful as last time. It started with Perla at the front desk when we checked in. There were six ladies in my group and we requested an upgrade to our room. We also wanted to add the all inclusive option to our stay. Perla was friendly and efficient. She made us feel like she really liked helping to make the changes in accommodations in order to have our stay more enjoyable.

We like staying on the beach during the day. We love visiting with the vendors and buying beach treasures. We also like the option of ordering our drinks and being served on the beach. the server that took care of all week was Geraldo. He was wonderful. The service was great and he even suggested fun drinks to try (even the super secret drink one of my girlfriends ordered all week-but wasn't told the name until the last day). Thank you to Geraldo (he let us call him Gerry) for taking such good care of us!

Juan Carlos took care of us at breakfast and lunch. He always had a table for us and made sure our food and drink was delivered as quickly as possible. He was very friendly and it added to the fun of the trip to joke around with him. He suggested different food that we were happy to try (and ended up loving). Juan Carlos made our stay more enjoyable and we appreciated all he did for us!

The rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. We actually stayed in the same room we were in two years ago. It gave us sense of being in our "own" place.

The one draw back was the service at the evening meal. The nights that we ordered and had the meal served to us (instead of buffet) it was slow. The staff was moving quickly and trying to keep up, but it appeared to us they were just under staffed. Even though they were busy and doing the best they could, everyone was still very friendly.

The last day of our stay we saw our favorite server from our last stay. It was fun to see Jesus and visit with him. He said he remembered us-whether he did or didn't, it made us feel good for him to say so (it was two years ago after all).

All in all, our stay was wonderful and we hope to visit again in two years (we have been traveling to Mexico as a group every other year since 1995).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Travlinlady,

We feel pleased after reading such a nice review, thank you for sharing every detail of your great experience at Pueblo Bonito Rosé, one of our main goals is to make our guests feel like home, and we're so glad we made you and your girlfriends feel welcome and comfortable at all times during your stay. We'll make sure to pass your kind remarks to every staff member you mentioned above.

We'll be waiting for your next visit in two years.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just returned from a week at Pueblo Bonito Rose. We go to Mexico every year and this was our first trip to Cabo. I will mention the positive things about the resort first.

Location is great and within walking distance to town and Cabo has numerous great restaurants. The public spaces of Bonito Rose are beautiful and very well kept. Staff is out primping and cleaning constantly and the landscape is lovely. We especially enjoyed the 2 beautiful black swans. Restaurant and bar staff are also very prompt and efficient. We did not do the all inclusive just because we had several restaurant recommendations from friends that we wanted to check out.

The not so good - this is a very densly populated area of Cabo and the hotels and beach bars are jammed together on very narrow, but deep lots not allowing a lot of beachfront. The area for lounge chairs is not very big and the chairs are placed very close together so if someone is chatting or smoking, it is not very peaceful. Also the beach vendors are non stop. They cannot cross a rope line but the rope line is right in front of the beach lounge chairs so they are right in front of you. Some are quiet but some yell, "necklace", "lady you want to buy a scarf"? This goes on all day long. Yes, it's part of the "charm" of Cabo but if you are looking to nap on the beach...it's not going to happen unless you bring some very good earplugs.

The rooms are showing some pretty serious signs of wear. For the most part, the furniture itself is in good shape but the bathroom tile, vanity and kitchenette area are deteriorating and need attention. The vanity in our bathroom was separating from the granite top where it looked like moisture damage had warped the wood.

When we first checked in, the tile floor in our room was very dirty. I walked around briefly in my bare feet and they were practically black. I did leave a note for housekeeping to mop, along with a $5 tip, and it was cleaned after that but that should be done thoroughly, especially after the previous guesst check out.

We did take the shuttle over to the "sister" property on the Pacific side of Cabo, called Pueblo Bonito Pacifica one day to check it out and we did have a very relaxing quiet day at their pool. Ifwe do go back to Cabo I would stay there.

3  Thank SueC456

We are very pleased to hear that our reviewer appreciated the service of our food and beverages staff. Pueblo Bonito Rosé is located in a very demanded area and most tourists of Los Cabos come to visit the El Medano Beach, that is why you can see a lot of people by the beach area. Remarks about our rooms and cleanliness of the maid will be taken into consideration for a proper follow up. Hope that our reviewer visits us very soon.

Yours cordially,