“over priced”

Ranked #18 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“over priced”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Room was average, Best Western at K.C. airport nicer and half the price. Admit it didn't have ocean view. Was Quiet for most part, had alot of gnats and musty smell. Floors were gritty(tile that left your feet black). First thing you find out is nothing is free, no paper towels or napkins in kitchenette. Wife piched up three day old USA today paper at deli and we were charged $5 for a $1 newspaper! I guess they think their guests are anxious to aid their economy. Prices high for alot of things, some worth it and others a rip off. One needs to check things out and negotiate for a better deal, not all will do so, but had luck outside of resort, resort prices set in stone. Didn't do all inclusive, did alot of tours, two for one prices in Sept.,had some great meals with their packages. Besides we aren't much for drinking. Ate first morning at Mare Nostrum, ok breakfast but $25 for pancakes and coffee! No sides either. The best deal was the $150 credit if you went over to the sunset beach resort. Enjoyed tour, no pressure and salesman(Scot, forgot name but alot of fun) Had best breakfast of trip. Came back and had evening meal at Fellini's Italian rest. Glad for $150 credit, a little expensive and wine way over priced, but impeccable service and food over the top. Also did the Sat. night party, resort had a 25th. ann. bash. Was hesitant about $110 per couple charge, but feel we got our money's worth. Buffet outstanding and show was too!

1 Thank suewdf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (992)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The staff at Pueblo Bonita Rose helped to make our vacation really special. On checking in,we had an initial problem with our room booking, but Eliana quickly solved the issue. The concierge team simplified transport and gave good recommendations. The housekeeping staff were non-intrusive and efficient. The resort is right on the beach, within easy access of fun restaurants and activities.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was our first trip to Cabo and we tried to research the areas and where to say but you really don't understand till you are there. Anyway, staying on the beach turned out to not be a big deal as it's a little tacky but that's not the fault of the hotel. It's about an 8-10 minute walk to town and though it seems a little dark, we walked a lot with no trouble. I will first say all the employees at the hotel were very nice, pleasant and helpful. The room was fine, they have that musty beach resort hotel smell. The rooms are billed as all having a view and the way it's built, I can sort of see that but your view might be only two inches of water. Our first room really barely had any view so we asked to be moved. Our next room has two double beds but less musty smell so we opted for that. The floors are tiled and look like they need a good mopping. The shower alternated hot and cold water, but not together. We did not do the meal plan as we wanted to eat at local places, but we ate at the breakfast buffet once. It was just o.k. and expensive and it was on an outside veranda and there were flies everywhere so that was a turn off. The pool looks nice in the pictures but it's only about 3.5 to 4 feet deep and very warm water, not at all refreshing. The two things that annoyed me most about this place: 1) The very pushy lady in the lobby that we had to get our towel cards from who pushed us relentlessly about a timeshare. And then the restaurant manager who also pushed us. I realize you can get free stuff by attending a timeshare presentation but we were not interested. We have limited vacation time and wanted to relax. In summary, it was fine but we probably would not stay there again as it was just average in every way. 2) Internet is $10 an hour or $16 for 24 hours. I think this is way too much.

Room Tip: Stay next door at the Pueblo Bonito Blanco which looks nice or the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach.
1 Thank LikesCats3
New Jersey
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We have been to different all inclusive resorts in Mexico. Rose does not look new but the location is the best. I would like to thank the front desk manager Aldo and staff Iliana, they both made us a pleasant and unforgettable vacation. We can't wait to come back. Their service is much superior than the 5* resort (Pelican Hills in Newport Beach, CA) we stayed before we came to Cabos.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ctw886
Seaside, California, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We've stayed here twice (once for a week two years ago, and just recently for the first 4 days of our honeymoon) and have enjoyed it both times. For the price I think its a nice hotel with a good spot on the beach and within walking distance to town. The pool is big and decent. The staff are usually very friendly. The restaurants are ok. We usually just have snacks here, but walk into town to eat. The rooms have always been very nice and the cleaning staff always do a great job. We will come back again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Let's begin with the front desk staff. I was told that the room we were assigned would have an ocean view. When we got to the room, it was pool view with the lovely view of a pink wall. I called down to the front desk where SHEILA told me that all the views were the same, and that all rooms were pool view--LIE #1. She then told me there was absolutely nothing that could be done until the following day because all rooms were full--LIE #2. She hadn't even had time to check availability and was quite clearly not to be troubled with my petty complaint. I insisted that this room was unacceptable and she asked me to come to the front desk. There, I was given the key to a neighboring room with an ocean view. This room's view was completely blocked by trees and once again, we were out of luck. Over it at this point, I accept the room. At the end of the day, how much time were we really going to spend there? Not much, and I was determined to not let it spoil our trip.

NEXT, let's address the barrage of sales pitches we heard from their staff. Seriously? I'm on vacation! No, I don't want a free sunset dinner at a sistering resort so that I can listen to your sales pitch and tour another facility. Not now, and not the 5th time I was pressured to do so. NO!

The beach was closed on the first day (not their fault) because of a tropical storm that was thought to possibly turn our way. However, when the beach WAS open, it was virtually impossible to enjoy with all the vendors approaching you to buy hats, dresses, plates, silver jewelry, t shirts, kites, bowls, etc, etc.... I could go on, and on, and on......

And finally, to top it all off, the mysterious MOVIE charge that came up when my husband and I were not even in the room, as was PROVEN by the charge at the pool bar which happened 2 minutes later. I suppose it was possible, but, we would have had to SPRINT from one side of the property to the other in order for it to happen. And let me just say, we are NOT runners. As I was checking out, I explained to ALDO ROBLEDO, that the charge was not ours, and that it should be removed. He all but called me a liar and refused to do so. REALLY? If I was going to lie about a charge, don't you think I would have tried to get out of the $200 charge at the pool? Or maybe the $80 at the gift shop? But a $15 movie? Ridiculous. He wouldn't budge. I asked to speak with the manager, and he informed me that he WAS the manager, and he of course refused to give me his superior's name. Unbelievable. So, Mr. ALDO ROBLEDO, I've contacted American Express and will handle it with them. It's a matter of principle, now.

So, aside from the front desk staff, the rest of the staff was super nice. Never any problems at the poolside bar. The rooms and property were very clean, albeit a bit tired. Food was average at best, but lots of great food to be had in town, so that didn't bother us. Location was great.

Would not recommend as the cons far outweigh the pros at this place. LOTS of other choices out there that I'm sure would be happy to have your money (and not have to make up fake charges to get it!!)!

8 Thank natty_lyte
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My stay was so much fun! I loved the pool activities and all of the friends I made with fellow vacationers and hotel staff. Jose Luis was the best activity director! I loved how personable he was and his professionalism. I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting to go to Cabo. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed September 2012