“we loved it!!!”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed January 6, 2007

I always check trip advisor when booking a place to stay. I have to say, first and foremost, that you definitely have to take into consideration the many different types of travelers there are out there. I don't consider myself an expert, who really is. Everyone has an opinion but opinions are subjective. I am always saddened though by the "travel snobs" the people that go somewhere and want it to be just like home. These same people are at the counters of hotels and rental car agencies impatiently tapping their feet and often angry due to the more relaxed pace and occasional language barrier(your fault if you can't speak the language). Stay home people! The Solmar is an older hotel off the beaten path, but close enough to walk to great restaurants and nightlife if that is what you are looking for. MAny of the hotels in Cabo are huge-5-700 rooms or more, which is not for us. I don't go on vacation to hang out with 700 people at the pool, and I don't want it to be like Disneyland either. The Solmar has two pools, one with a children's pool attached to a regular pool and a separate pool facing the ocean with a swim up bar. This pool was very quiet and not too crowded, even during the holiday season. The whales are running right now so we were able to lay out and watch the Humpbacks and their calves cruise by right in front of the hotel. The food was very good, traditional mexican fare. They had sushi that was really good as well. The rooms were basic, but very clean. Comfortable beds and an amazing view of the ocean. Yes, your balcony is next to someone elses, but again go spend 900.00 a night at Ventanas or Esperanza-both spectacular-to have some privacy. Solmar is moderately priced for Cabo and I am shocked to hear people expecting more than you get here. We thought you got just what you should for such an affordable hotel. We did not have any problems with noise. The rock formation behing the hotel is unbelievable. We climbed over to take the hike to Lovers beach and divorce beach-absolutely amazing. The beach can be crowded later in the afternoon, but the morning is awesome to just hang out or to snorkel-we saw a bunch of sealions one morning. The mexican fiesta is also totally worth it, a lot of fun and if you have kids they will have a blast. We went diving with Amigos Del Mar, they were great. I have been diving all over the world and their catamaran set up made it really comfortable. They are really nice and knowledgeable. Restaurants: We loved Mi Casa and the Office, and the Crazy Lobster was a lot of fun. Try Mamas for breakfast-great mango mimosas and if you go for dinner they have about 50 salsas to choose from for your meal. My husband went deep sea fishing with West Coast Outfitters "tag and brag" charters. They are on the marina. They do not dissapoint. He caught a 300lb marlin and my 18 yr old cousin caught a 200 lb sailfish. They also loved the ATV tour.
We went with my parents-in their 50's, my aunt and uncle-40's and their two kids, 14 and 18. We are 29 and 31. We all loved this place, it was perfect for what we were looking for in this vacation. We have been to many different countries and have stayed on dirt floors as well as your typical Ritz and Four Seasons. We hope that people will be a little easier on the locals of other countries, Cabo included. If you freak out because there is a bug in your room, guess what, there are probably bugs at Esperanza and Palmilla. You are on the beach/desert. If the lighting isn't what you're used to at home in the bathroom suck it up. This place is on the low end price -wise, but every one of us would go back and we had a great time. But we are also not the ones screaming at people behing the desk because they are slow or they don't speak perfect english. Since we seem to be able to speak our minds here, I had to say my peace. I guess there will always be those people that only travel to be pampered, not to learn about the culture or the people that live in these great places we visit. I also think there are a lot of people out there that were born to complain, and they will never be happy. On top of this they want to americanize everything, so it will be just like home. Gross.
Ok, I'm done.
We loved Solmar and we think you will too. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
20  Thank moha01
Write a ReviewReviews (1,819)

Reviewed January 4, 2007

I stayed at Solmar during Xmas 2006. The property / rooms are very nice but nothing special (except the sunrise, sunsets). Beds are firmer than I've ever slept on before (not so comfortable). Service is quite good - room service is excellent - food is o.k. Prices of drinks are high except during happy hour. Pools are small (pictures are deceiving). They turn the hot tub off early so its almost cold by 9 p.m. which is when they close. The view is excellent but you can't swim there so the beach is quite a tease. No internet either except for one unit that is so busy they limit you to 25 minutes (if you can even get a turn). The pool was super busy ... not the actual pool but the suntanning area around the pool... mostly 20 year old females with amazing bodies which is great if you're a guy but not so great if you are a 40ish woman like me. I don't know where all the guys were ... probably fishing? This resort is in walking distance to the night life if you're into that. We also stayed at Crowne Plaza and I loved it there!! Lots of whale action etc. so bring binoculars!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank yikesssss
Reviewed December 26, 2006

My wife and I came here for 3 nights over X-mas weekend to get away from reality. Arrived at 7pm with our rent a car. Check in was easy and we were taken to our room quickly by the bellman. Our room was as promised, a junior suite directly on the beach, ocean front. Only problem was the 2 double beds as they were out of kings. Not that big a deal though. The room was fine, a bit old but still very nice and clean. Used one of the pools which was quiet and nicely just off the sand. Margaritas were strong as well as the sun. Room service breakfast was great as we could eat facing the ocean right on our balcony. It was also nice hearing the waves as we went to sleep at night.

The hotel is not fancy but had everything we needed. Highly recommended! Just not a 5 star experience.

Note: Look out for Tammy who sells timeshares in the lobby. She actually locked the door to the street and grilled us for information about us before allowing us to leave the hotel. Just kindly tell her to get out of your way and she'll leave you alone.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LocoTravelers
Reviewed December 14, 2006

We went to the Solmar for a much needed vacation and ended up feeling like we could not leave the property. Overall the rooms were ok - we had a garden view suite with a small kitchen and patio on the ground floor. When we made the reservation - over the phone - we asked for a bed with 2 double beds. When we went to the room there was only 1 bed and we were told that the garden suites had only 1 king sized bed and if we wanted 2 beds we would have to upgrade to an ocean view suite which was much smaller and more expensive.

At the airport we accepted an invitation to go to the Westin hotel to see their time share property. Upon checking in we were sent to the activities desk where this woman named Tammy proceeded to invite us to the Playa Grande time share presentation - Playa Grande is their sister property. We politely refused and did not mention we had accepted an invitation to go to the Westin. When we were leaving the next morning she was very rude to us, she followed us through the lobby demanding to know where we were going and calling us liars because we did not mention we were going to another time share presentation. We ignored her and she proceeded to yell after us that we were not to take a shuttle from that hotel to get back to the airport and that we should let the Westin arrange a shuttle for us. (We had not told her where we were going).

We complained to the manager who said this was the first time they had heard such complaints and went on to say she was just an independent operator and was not really a Solmar employee - which is a lie. Overall I would not stay at Solmar Suites again.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank chello21
Reviewed December 14, 2006

The reviews on this site often make or break my decision to book a specific hotel. In reading about the Solmar Suites, the place sounded pretty good. But even a brief peek below the surface reveals a lot to be concerned about.

I had one of their oceanview suites. Situated right on a deserted beach (because the ocean is too rough to enter) with private balconies or terraces. It sounded ideal.

However, you should be aware that these balconies face West. Lots of sunshine, but no cover from the sun. No awnings, no umberellas, nothing. So if you go, don't plan on using your balcony between early morning and late afternoon. Otherwise, you will bake to a crip under the unrelenting Mexico sun.

And the rooms... certainly out of date, but not seriously so. However, the noise! There wasn't a single thing that went on next door that i didn't hear in my suite. Everything from the man's morning smokers's cough to his television watching. Also, if anyone is on their baclony talking or having a party, you will hear all of it in you soom. If you're on your balcony at the same time, your activity will be drowned out by sounds from the other balconies. And speaking of privacy... there is none. Your baclony will be in full view of everyone else. Extremely disappointing for the sun, the noise and the privacy issues.

But that's not all. The service in the restaurant was the rudest possible. On my first morning eating breakfast, I was assailed by a waiter who was extremely upset by the fact that I speak English and not Spanish. It would be nice if I could speak Spanish, but I can't. Nor am I going to learn it at this point in my life. When I visit a resort, I feel it's my job to be polite, friendly and to spend money. It is the job of the recipient of my money to be polite, friendly and to provide value for my dollar. It is not my job at all to do what the waiter would like. Rather than add ugliness to my vacation in complaining about this creepy behavior, I instead stayed away from the restaurant and chose other places to eat.

Housekeeping. On my first evening, I dropped an ashtray. I splintered into a million pieces on the tile floor. I carefully swept up the glass with a towel, coverd it for the night. First thing in the AM, I went looking for housekeeping because I was concerned the maid might injure herself as she encountered the glass. I showed this to the woman before 9AM. She thanked me but when I came back to the room at about 2:30 PM... it had not been made up and the glass was exactly where it was when I showed it to her at least four hours earlier. Sharp shards of glass on a room floor is unacceptable.

So are ants crawling all over many surfaces in the room.

As for the hotel's location... several reveiws say it is a ten minute walk to town. Not true. It's a ten minute walk just to get down the hill form the Hotel. And getting into town is up to 30 minutes more, depending on where you want to go. Taxi rides are an absolute rip off... 6 bucks. Even if you just need to get up the enormous hill to the hotel. Fact is, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere with nothing nearby. No food, no bank machine, huge disappointment.

The people at the front desk obviously had undergone training for politeness. I heard each one of them saying "you're finally here" as guests arrived. They need to spread this ethos around. Glarring groundskeepers, sullen clerks, smoke shop clerks who don't say hello in response to a hello or Hola.

But worst of all... Their internet service is contained in a dinky room near some kind of offices. The computer was slow and there was only one. And as on many mexican keyboards, there was no distinct way to inser the @ symbol. When I popped my head into an open door to ask the three people inside how to produce the @, one man began to explain as a crabby elderly woman piped up... "you need to go ask the front desk about that". Well thank you for your assistance!!!

While this place is not a classic dump, it has the spirit of a dump. You can do much, much better for your money in Cabo. Unless you want to be surrounded by rude staff in the middle of no where, with no modern amenities, do yourself a favor and go stay somewhere else. ;

I am sorry to write such a harsh review, but I feel an obligation to share this info with the Trip Advisor community which has been very helpful to me in the past.

Stayed: December 2006
13  Thank vmcla
Reviewed November 25, 2006

We booked 2 rooms for one night prior to moving to our timeshare at another location which wasn't available until the next day. The room was very cramped with 2 beds, and a corner sink/counter. This was by far one of the smallest rooms we've ever stayed in for this price. The bathroom was nice with a large tile shower and the balcony area provided an OK sitting area. We had a garden view, which was really looking out onto the path that wound through the complex. Not too private, but provided some much needed sitting space. The main problem for me was that both of us found HUGE cockroaches in our rooms. One was dead upon our arrival, however, our friends in the room next door had a lively one greeting them when they woke up in the morning. I'm aware that cockroaches love the weather in Mexico. However, I've been to Cabo 3 consecutive years, and this is the first cockroach I have ever seen. That did it for me.
On the plus side, the location and pool were very nice. We had cocktails and appetizers at the pool bar, and it was fabulous. The bug thing just did me in... so I wouldn't return.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank siouxz
Reviewed November 21, 2006

I use tripadvisor as a significant guide when traveling, so whenever possible I also provide feedback - thus this review.
We recently stayed at the Solmar, but it really is two properties - the oceanfront suites and the newer hillside rooms - two very different product types. The oceanfront suites are beachfront, two stories, a little older but you can see and hear the pacific ocean- to us a real amenity. The balance of the property is four story hillside rooms, some distance from the water - they are clean, small and very noisey. We arranged our package through AAA and they used Apple Vacations for the hotel component, and we upgraded to the ocean suites, but - and there seems to always be a but - when we arrived the oceanfront suites were not available - even though we had spent extra for this - and the reasons given were "Ca Ca".
After a ruckus, which is always a hassle, we were upgraded to what we originally contracted for - but for only three of the five days - now we are faced with trying to get a partial refund from Apple - another challange - its always something if you travel.

Its Mexico so there are "Timeshare" properties and many salesmen/vendors trying to get you to tour the properties - BEWARE. We were interested so we signed up for the 75 minute tour of Playa Grande. There are several perks if you do this, but be prepared to be abused if you do not buy - and do not believe the pitchmen - it is not 75 minutes - ever - maybe 3 hours if you are fortunate. The sales pitch is well orchestrated and there is lots of pressure - and unless you stay for it all, you do not get your gifts - nor will you get the pricing - you are definitely held hostage. We had John Paul at the Playa Grande - and when it became apparent that we were not going to buy he became abusive - his munipulation of the numbers left us unimpressed. They started off at approximately (and since this is from memory everything is approximately - no worksheets leave the closing room) $100,000 for 4 weeks - anytime but Christmas and New Years - those weeks were sold out - or the resort was keeping those premium times reserved for the rental pool - already I am cynical. They then went to two weeks for $50,000. Then magically a resale appeared so we could have 2 weeks at the 2003 price - now $40,000. When that did not work then, although they never sell just one week, because we were special (right) we could have one week for $20,000- and then another special (lots of those) was available at $8,700, but by this time my blood pressure was rising - we were 3 and 3/4 hours into a 75 minute presentation and nobody was listening - or cared. So one last hand off to someone from the resort that wanted us to rent a week for $1,400, good for anytime in the next 24 months, but you had to pay in full in the next three months. These people are experts in seperating you from your money - right then. And if your circumstances change over time - that is something that does not concern the resort - they already have your cash. The perks are decent but you must be able to weather several sales onslaughts - and more than a little personal abuse. BEWARE.

Cabo has changed a lot - much development. Nothing is inexpensive but the water is very blue, the weather very good, the Mexican people (generally) gentle and pleasant and it is reasonably accessibe. Not a 5 star experience, but not bad.

5  Thank senorwiskers