“Dec, very dec.”

Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Calgary, Canada
“Dec, very dec.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

I love this place! Since they are renovating majorly, I don't know how it will turn out say 5 years from now, but at least our stay was good while it lasted. We traded a week with RCI and just found the location was great, with nice weather, and nice people. We stayed in one of the upper floors in the taller buildings, so we weren't beach front (not that we'd want to be as we would have a good chance of being placed near the noisy construction on the beach.) But we still had a nice view of the ocean and the garden. We attended two timeshares while in cabo, the one from sol mar was good, the other was very bad but it wasnt from Sol Mar. The latter was with a gentleman who straight off asked us if were going to make a purchase today. We told him that their free gifts had better be ligit as i had gone to a presentation prior to that and got ripped off. He got so offended by it and even told us that he could only give us so much, and than a couple walking past told us that they had got ripped off by a different guy working for the same company and told us they could'nt be trusted. We were actually prepared to buy this timeshare because the place was very nice, and we would have used this one for our kids! Plus I have come to love Cabo, and would come back every year! It was a hard decision, but we decided to use our heads and say no, they could not be trusted. Back to the topic, would I recommend this hotel to a friend, maybe no if their not into a more expensive newly updated hotel full of people. But for now, I would say yes.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hot-foxD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed a week here at the end of March, knowing that they had major construction going on. Yes it does take up some of the beach , but nothing that should bother your stay.Now I am a vacation "freek" according to my wife, and if this place was bad ... I would write about it. Unless you want to see the constuction everyday, tell them that you do not want the ground floor condo's that are beach front. We did and they had NO ISSUES about moving us to a 4th floor unit around the pool which was perfect ! Linda at the front deck was great!! If you are after a smaller place , where you can pick your chair every morning around the pool , then this is it. A great veiw of the city at night , the ocean all day, and whales every morning with your coffee. Don't let the construction scare you away. We would come here next year, that is if we could get in . The new condos that are going up will be wonderful. They are the closest to the water than any other place in cabo!! What a veiw they will have.
Don't go on the condo tour that they offer until they have the new place built . We did not, but we heard it was a waist of time and when you told them "no", they were shocked and mad that you waisted their time... "no you waisted my time". Some people even said that they did not get all the free things that they offered because once the tour was over, you got what ever they had left. If you want to get free things, go downtown , they will give you cash to go ... a little hint , we got 200.00 cash, bottle of booze and two mex blankets. We did the Miyan tour. Just get everything wrote down that they tell you .
We rented a car ... things to watch out for... you are not insured down there. so the deal of 180.00 for the week, turned into 400... check with your insurance company before you leave.. you might be. The car was more than worth it ... we drove everywhere and we were SO glad we got one... You can't get lost .. only one way into cabo , and one way out. We also drove up into the hills and what ever you hear about the dangers in Mexico... well they are definatly not in Cabo, we had a blast with the car and will rent again.(this is a must)... just be careful driving around town, no one knows what a stop sign is... it is really kind if funny to see everyone just cruise right through the intersections ... I always stopped, just to make sure. But really , rent a car....
If you want night life , this is it ... Cabo Wabo is cool ... We liked the Giggling Marlin better. The owner was great .. the food was great.. the music was great... fun time.
Take a glass bottom boat ride... Go to the Chris Ruth's in the corner of the marina and take the boat ride that docks there. We took a private ride for 50.00. Don't know if that was high or not, didn't care... it was just my wife and me and the tour was great !
We want to go back next year and we would definatly stay at the Sol Mar again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dean22Ohio
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

This is a beautiful quaint little resort that will cease to exist by 2011.
(If you want big, noisy, busy, 5 star etc... then this is not for you.)

I found this place to be very nice, simple and small. The view is amazing. The rooms were nice. (Ocean view/2nd floor.) Clean and serviced well daily. I had a slow drain in the shower the first day- I reported it and it was fixed the next day. (The time share rooms were quite spacious with kitchen and separate bedroom (I got a peek). I really appreciate the low lying design of the resort- a great place.

I was there with my 2 children (12/6) and the staff was very nice and kind. And it was safe place to be.
No hassles with timeshare. A simple 'No" was very well accepted.
We did the all inclusive premier package and after the week- this was a great deal! (I did the math daily!) The menu kept us entertained for 5 days. Only one restaurant. The food was cooked very well- not all greasy and such. The seafood- amazing. The children ate very well - their options were good.

The pools were nice and clean. The hot tub - very HOT!!!

Constuction: Yes its there- the hummm is distant. We could not even hear it from the 2nd pool.
I would say for now- a minor issue. I can imagine though- depending on the progress- some days it could be busier and noisier. I guess we got lucky -as they were only placing the rebar for the the next pour.

The beach is powerful (you've read and heard it all) and BEAUTIFUL! Its a separate almost private beach- the walks are enjoyable. If you are brave and able- you can hike over the south rocks and get to lover's beach...

5 minute walk to the Marina- nice to see- but we stayed in the resort except for once lunch at Captain Tony's.

I will definitely return to this paradise- and see how it transforms.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank RoadsterEdmonton
Sandpoint, ID
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

What a killer location!

If not for the construction that begins around 7:00 am and doesn't stop till 7:00 pm I would easily consider this place on of the most serene places I've ever been. Sitting at the southern most tip of the Baja, it is a great location. Unfortunately they are building a mega resort which will be very nice but will also make it very busy with lots of people.

The food and alcohol I sampled there was extremely good but extremely expensive. Not quite right for a small hotel IMO. 6 bucks for a margharita and $4.50 for a beer was a bit much. Don't expect to even eat a small meal for less than $15.00. You can go for the $80/day all inclusive extra which includes Shrip & Lobster if you stay there the whole time.

The walk to downtown, while not far is a bit daunting if you want to go back and forth a bit. $6 to take a taxi though if you get tired. I would have loved to have gone downtown for every meal as there are very good places to eat but that's a lot of walking.

If you want to circumvent the people trying to sell you stuff; charters, booze cruises, drugs and sex, keep walking the main road and don't get on the marina till the first street you get to. It's about a mile but hassleless. Of course if that's your thing, when you see water, head in that dirrection ;-)

Don't buy the itineraries the hotel tries to sell, you will get better deals if you go to the area I mentioned in the last paragraph. Seriously, it's not all that bad. Go to #6 (maybe #5) just past Hooters and ask for Isreal or George, they are really good guys and will take care of you.

Time Share people at the hotel will leave you alone after about 2 days if you ignore them or say "No Thanks". They have a good memory for faces.

Lastly, if I were to go again, I'd find a hotel downtown but that is just casue I like to party a bit sometimes. It's a long journey back to this hotel, especially after a bunch of tequilla.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

Solmar is an older hotel, essentially in town, on the Pacific side, adjacent to the marina. It is a great location.

There is a fair amount of construction going on adjacent to the east-pool, with two more buildings going up. Solmar is essentially going up-scale, and this construction will continue over the next year or so, with much of the existing facility, east pool, and main building being demolished.

It is a non-swimming beach, so don't stay there if you want to jump in the surf. I am an open-water swimmer, and on some days, I wouldn't jump in. If I were there and a average swimmer jumped in, I'd be pissed, as I would be off to the races to save their stupid butt!. So, word to the wise, stay OUT of the water!

The west pool area is very nice...swim up bar, hot tub, etc.. and from this location you do not even hear the construction going on to the east.

The facility is relatively compact. And if you're in a room adjacent to the east pool, you can essentially walk out of your room an be at the pool and on the beach. Much unlike some of the other larger resorts in Cabo where it's a hike back to your room and in elevators, etc...

I stayed in a ground floor two-room suite. I normally prefer upper level, as I like to leave my slider open, but in this location, I had no problem doing that on the ground floor.

I have essentially on one negative...

Cockroaches!!

After the second day, I lost interest in seeing the tiny little cockroaches running across the kitchen and bathroom counters. I left my laptop on the kitchen counter, and the damn bugs climbed into it through the vents......and I really despised seeing the scurry out of it!

I travel to Cabo 4 times a year or so, and I will NOT stay at Solmar again based on the bug situation. Rates are cheap everywhere there, so If I were to stay in town again, and on the beach, I'd go next door to Playa Grande.

There you have it......

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Twin Cities
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

Talk about deceptive advertising. Google map shows the entire hotel intact. We were hoping to stay in the Junior Suites, to the left of the hotel. Unfortunately, it is gone! Five months ago they tore it down, and within several years, all of it will be gone. In its place, will be this brand new edifice.
So, my gorgeous view of the ocean, consisted of backhoes, cranes, and frontloaders. Big boulders being loaded on on the shovel of these frontloaders and delivered to the other side of the new construction. The view is total destroyed. The noise is horrible. I didn't plan on spending a week in a construction zone.
We complained, and the bored and indifferent staff decided to give us a free breakfast. Wow! The management is so considerate.
They had to know that they are going to a hit for this construction. Particularily the people that aren't time share. These people can just wait it out. Those that aren't as wealthy, will find that they are just a minor inconvenience for the ownership, until this project is done in about five years.
If the brochure, and the ad on the internet was honest, and showed all this construction, I don't think they would be duping so many people into coming to their hotel.
Yes, it is a beautiful area, and I imagine those that were lucky enought to stay here before the construction did have a peaceful and enjoyable stay.
The BBB Bureau really needs to look into the deceptive ads that the Solmar is using in their online presentation.
I have asked for remuneration from this hotel. I doubt that I will even hear from them. But I think anyone who felt that they were going to be able to stay in the hotel that was, and no longer is, deserves some type of apology and financial compensation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jakatak44
kelowna, bc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

Just spent 1 week there through an RCI trade. Rooms were a disappointment. We had the 2 bedroom penthouse, supposedly the nicest room in the complex, which was spacious with an awesome view and great beds. Not 5 star quality though- everything was in need of a total upgrade. The TV's were small old units, remotes didn't work, one bathroom was somewhat smelly, poor TV coverage. We were there during the Olympics and hardly got any info except on CNN and Fox news which seemed to just repeat the same things over and over all day long. I would rate the hotel a 3 star, nothing more, but certainly adequate if you like the smaller, more intimate Mexican flavour instead of a bigger more modern resort. I would probably go back some day when the newer more modern resort is done.
Best about the resort was the location, 15 minute walk to the Marina strip where there are lots of restaurants and shopping. Located on a private bay with a nice quiet beach and only 3 or 4 resorts on the bay. Lots of whale watching daily. Resort is small, quiet and intimate,very friendly people and staff, and a great place for a relaxing mellow holiday. The construction was not a problem. The main pool had the most activity but not much going on, just relaxing. It was great for our little one to play in the water at the edge of the pool.
Majority of people there seemed to be owners who have been going there for many years. They all loved it and didn't want to see any changes but they really do need to upgrade if they want to be considered 5 star.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family