This used to be a favorite place for us to stay. This last time here was bitter-sweet because we finally learned that its aesthetic beauty in a setting of natural beauty is being destroyed so as to make it like the typical overbuilt "luxury" timeshare place down here. When you read the reviews on this site, remember they are reviewing what WAS not what IS and even more what WILL BE here. The staff we are fond of and help make this a sweet place ..we will miss as well. Sol Mar was originally favored by those who came down to go after game fish...and the two white wings of units were the first buildings. These long white wings had two tiers of small units, the upper having a little balcony and the lower opening onto a little patio onto the beach..perfect for "baching it"..private and acetic. Close to nature. Basic. One could hear and FEEL the surf and the sight was of sand and sea.The atmosphere at the resort was still intimate, relaxed, quiet and unique. with the breezeway thru lobby..and the back units added with carefully tended plants ..like aloe and cactus and flowering hibiscus..and sand.....and the lower pool was wonderful...and a place to meet new friends...who shared the quiet, the peace, the stark beauty. One could swim up to the bar under the giant palapa which also sheltered the larger bar with tables where one could also eat.. La Roca resturant was behind the pool and had a peaceful terrace which was a favorite for openair eating of delightful breakfasts with birds coming to visit , hoping for a few crumbs of bread. The staff were friendly and we got to know a number of them, greeting them every year... Sol Mar has been such a contrast with it the hugely out -of-scale monstrosity, the multicolored Las Vegas-style Playa Grande with its highrise U shape (in which sound echoes) down the beach! Parties there and fancy spas and marble there ! while ...quiet Sol Mar seemed more of a retreat, more traditional..and gentle on the landscape. It had soul and attracted those who appreciated that. That is what brought us here and why this was our last stay...ever.
Now one wing is torn down and the other will be gone by mid-2010 now its got construction in front of it. Construction is ongoing and there are huge digs in the sand now so that the bigger modern buildings can be anchored in bedrock.. Timeshare units that sold for $10,000 or less are to be replaced with ones which can sell for much more (same view) while owners are displaced.into Playa Grande and the business begins of reselling this place. The busines of the resort is really selling timeshare. Those who come to the resort are a stream of prospects to be sold timeshares...not just resort guests.! And the assumption is that Americans will buy places which have more glitz and modernity. The plan is to accomodate more people, raise prices, upscale it , and make more money. It is very sad to see such a lovely more old Baja place sacrificed. If you want to come here, do not expect it to be what is in the photos and what people reviewed as in the past...It is in transition this year. Be prepared to be given the hard sell on timeshares here and for Playa Grande. If you want to buy, wait til construction is ALL done and buy for half price or less on the resale market when the dust settles.Things are still in flux.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This intimate Oceanfront Resort is blessed by one of the most enchanting and romantic locations in Baja California. Granite cliffs hide the property from the outside world, yet the sights and sounds of Cabo San Lucas are but a 10 minute stroll away. You can spread your towel on the white sands of Solmar beach and soak up the sun in private comfort, grab a snorkel, a fishing pole or chose from a long list of other activities the Pacific Ocean has to offer, or shop, dine, then dance the night away at one of the many hotspots in Cabo San Lucas. Solmar Resort truly offers the best of both of worlds - unmatched privacy in an extraordinary natural setting. In every sense, it is the most Cabo Resort in Cabo San Lucas. Like all properties in the Solmar Hotel & Resort collection, the Solmar Resort is exclusively suites with kitchen facilities, private balconies, marble floors, granite countertops and fine linens. Solmar Resort offers the option of Bed & Breakfast plan and all inclusive package as well. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Solmar Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Solmar All Inclusive Resort And Beach Club
- Solmar Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Cabo San Lucas Solmar Hotel
- Solmar Cabo San Lucas
- Solmar Resort Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos