“Great Location and Good Service!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Solmar #1 | Col. Centro, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
SUMMER DEAL BOOK NOW
Ranked #26 of 69 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Great Location and Good Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

As soon as we arrived, the reception desk was attentive and ready to serve. They carefully explained all the rules and amenities of our all-inclusive package and got us to our room in very little time so we could jump right into the pool and start ordering never-ending drinks! :)

The pool bartenders (Octavio, Francisco, Javier, Jorge) made fantastic drinks from standard margaritas and mojitos all the way to flavored drinks, Sex on the Beach, Dirty Monkey, Miami Vice and I'm sure any other drink you can think of. I read reviews before coming on my trip and I can confirm that sometimes service is slow, but they are taking care of the 12+ people sitting at the pool bar AND the 50+ people sitting at the restaurant. So if it took a little time between drinks I wasn't that upset. Just take your time and sip away...trust me, these guys aren't shy about putting the alcohol in your drink. You'll be feeling pretty good after a few drinks. Pace yourself. They'll check on you to make sure you're still feeling "good".

The restaurant was also a hit! The entire restaurant staff (Captain Roberto, Tomas, Geraldo, Ernesto, Emmanuel and hostess Selene) were always welcoming with a smile and after a couple of meals would start to recognize you and make you feel like family. Every breakfast, lunch and dinner had American classics like pancakes, waffles and bacon, sandwiches, steaks, hamburgers, etc. but also offered EXCELLENT Mexican cuisine which I LOVED to try something new every meal...because I can get the other stuff when I'm back home. This is ALSO included in the all-inclusive package so I never left hungry. They also had sushi available in the all-inclusive package that was awesome! Typical stuff like California Rolls, Shrimp Tempura, Spicy Tuna and a few others...REALLY hit the spot when we were craving it. I know what you're thinking...is it pre-made and nasty by the time you get it? NO! They have a full-time sushi maker who makes it all to order :) And during the week depending on the day, they have different themed buffet nights, which was fun to sit outside near the pool and have entertainment while feasting. A couple of notes about the restaurant: you have to be dressed when going inside. You can't run from the pool into the restaurant with your wet bathing suit. They'll want you to dry off before coming to eat. Also, they want you to have some kind of top to have over you while you eat, otherwise they'll turn you away. You can choose to eat while at the pool side bar and order items off the restaurant menu to eat while swimming, but just like the drinks, food will take a little while to make it to your pool stool. Also for dinner, you have to make a reservation for every night of your stay. You can choose a different time every night (6:00, 7:30 or 9:00) or you can talk to the captain or hostess to reserve your time for every night of your stay.

My wife and I stayed in a junior suite which had a living room with pull-out couch bed, kitchenette, refrigerator (stocked with free drinks), 2 bathrooms and a master bedroom. The bed was AMAZING (compared to our temperpedic at home). The room had a back sliding glass door that we'd use to sit on the patio and literally walk 50 steps into the pool! That was fun! The one weird thing is that the maid service would come in a sporadic times, not really seeming to be on a consistent schedule. So I guess you could call the front desk to have maid service at a specific time, or when you want according to what's best to your schedule.

The amenities with the resort were good. The 2 pools (The lower pool with the swim-up pool bar, and an upper pool with detached pool bar that's NOT a part of the all-inclusive package) were warm watered. Not like bath water, but definitely not cool and refreshing. In the early afternoon it would be nice to get in, but sometimes in the late afternoon there's very little difference between the temperature outside and the pool temperature. That's just my preference. My wife loved the temperature. The pool towels are located inside your bathroom. Use those when you go to pool. Housekeeping will change them out when your return your used ones to the room.

Solmar's big brother and sister resorts (Playa Grande and Grand Solmar) next door had other amenities that you could go use like gym, other pools, mini golf for free. You also get a discount on food and drink at any bar or restaurant, but obviously it's not a part of the all-inclusive package. Also, it wasn't made clear to us until we were kicked out, but apparently you can't use any of the Grand Solmar stuff AT ALL, only at Playa Grande. My wife and I spent a little time in the pool at Playa Grande and it was a lot of fun. If you're looking for a giant pool (hence the resort name, I guess) with a day for of activities for the kids and adults, dancing and lots of excitement, definitely give Playa Grande a look. Because we were staying at Solmar, we got a discount on the drinks we ordered, and on top of that it was happy hour (2-4) so we got 2 for 1 drinks. It was wonderful. However, I still didn't get a clear answer on what resort features we could and could not use, but this was my experience. Some additional features. Solmar also has a coffee cart with all the typical Starbucks offerings (not in the all-inclusive package) and a mini mart for toiletries, snacks and other things of the like (not in the all-inclusive package).

As far as money and electrical outlets are concerned, everywhere my wife and I went, including the hotel accepts US dollars. The front desk can break large bills for change, tips etc. or change your US money for pesos. The outlets are mostly two-prong normal AC outlets. It was rare to find a 3-prong outlet, so you may need to bring an adaptor for that if you need.

One word of warning that Solmar would probably tell you, but just for your planning, there is an ocean beach walking distance from the resort, however you CANNOT go swimming there. The waves and current of the Pacific Ocean are waaaaay too strong even for super swimmers and surfers. While it sounds amazing and looks amazing, you can't enjoy it all that much. The resort provides lounge chairs and umbrellas about 1000 feet away from the water, you can walk up to the water, but trust me, you can't swim in the water. The nearest public beach you can go to is Medrano Beach near the heart of Cabo San Lucas. It's about a 25 minutes walk from the resort, 20 dollars for a 10 minute taxi, or 5 minutes to the marina, 4 dollars per person for a 5 minute water taxi. Medrano Beach is always pretty crowded, but it does provide that Mexico Beach experience.

My wife and I splurged and got a couples massage at the Spa Cabanas. It was so relaxing and great. From the booking manager Sayda, to the massage staff Sandy, it was a great experience with the sounds of the ocean waves crashing in the background, the scents of lavender and knowing my wife was in heaven made our entire stay at Solmar that much better.  A great value for the services received.

Like I mentioned before, my wife and I went snorkeling and sunset cruising. Based on the Solmar concierge suggestion, we went with the company SunRider for both. The main hook was the fajita buffet on both excursions, but again the whole experience was wonderful. You can read more about them on their own review I made for them. But back to Solmar, I felt very comfortable making my booking with them and I was not disappointed. It might of been a little bit more expensive, but peace of mind for my wife and I was important.

Overall, I give it 4.5 out of 5. Good service, good room and wonderful experience. While I'm not guaranteeing my next vacation is here, I can guarantee my friends and family who are considering coming to Cabo NEED to book their stay at Solmar.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Rob S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Lake charled
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

My family stayed in July and absolutely loved it, the food was Fantastic and the service was Awesome the rooms and the whole complex was immaculate, we thought not being able to swim at the beach would be a bummer but it's a 5 min cab ride to the swimmable beach with tons of shopping in walking distance, we will be back and we will stay at Solmar again

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank Darbyshel
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

My husband and I and another couple visited this resort the other week. We all enjoyed our stay. The resort was very clean and the entire staff was extremely helpful and friendly. It was a relaxing, comfortable stay and we had beautiful views. Francisco was a lot of fun at the pool bar and Julio was an excellent waiter.

Room Tip: The rooms near the water and pool side are close to everything.
Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

If you love hearing the waves crashing on the beach, this is the place to go. The resort is pretty and well-maintained. Lots of desert foliage. Great pools and swim-up bar (super mojitos!). Large, spacious, cool (good AC!) suites, all with an ocean view. We were upgraded (without asking) to a master suite...2 bathrooms, 2 balconies, mini kitchen...and we loved it. We made smoothies every evening and sat outside listening to the waves. The staff is extremely friendly and professional, and the food (a mix of American and Mexican) is terrific. Special thanks to Tomas, Roberto, Jose Luis, and Julio Cesar in the Tejabon Restaurant and Zusana our housekeeper; it was a pleasure to see them every day.

Two drawbacks: (1) The wifi (which is not included in the price) is pretty unreliable. But that's a good excuse to "disconnect" from the outside world. (2) Since the resort is on the Pacific side, you can't swim at the beach due to the strong undertow. But, there's a small, beautiful local beach about a 15 minute walk down the hill on the Sea of Cortes side.

• 3 of 5 stars
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The rooms at the resort are very clean. Rosa was our housekeeper and did an amazing job. The views from just about every where on the property were amazing. This is a small resort with only 100 rooms, 1 restaurant, 2 lunch restaurants and 2 pools. The larger pool has a swim up pool bar. Roberto the headwaiter was great about checking on us as we dined and Jose Luis and Julio Caesar were by far the two best waiters they have at the resort. My only complaint about the restaurant is how slow it is. You will need to plan at least 1 hour for breakfast, 1 hour for lunch and 1-1/2 hours for dinner. I prefer the buffet where you can try all kinds of different authentic meals. You also have to have reservations for dinner, which is hard to do when you are out exploring the town. Downtown is close as well as the Marina.

Room Tip: There is a lot of construction going on around the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank mphy
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our 5 year anniversary, and it was far beyond our expectations! The resort was clean and beautiful, located right by the ocean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The food was always excellent, especially the sushi! It was a very restful and relaxing vacation, but there are so many things to do around. Solmar is within walking distance of downtown which is great! They do make you sign for everything, which can be confusing since it is all inclusive, but my assumption is that it is for gratuity purposes. It was quiet and not at all crowded which was great! Overall a wonderful experience, and we plan to return!

3 Thank April V
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Two families, two adults and one 7 yr old in each family. For background, we've been to 3-5 star resorts/hotels in Cancun, Mayan Riveria, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Dominican Republic US, Canada and India. This one is definitely on the list of one of the better resorts we've stayed at.

Very clean rooms and property. All staff very professional, friendly, helpful from the management, front reception desk, maid service, restaurants, sushi bar and swim up bar. The staff take great pride in their work and I have to say that a big part of this has to be management's high expectations. Some names; Julio, Jose Luis, Miguel, Javier, Octavio (both) Salvador, Jemmy, Faviola, Manuel, Carmen, Nicte-Xa, Mercedes and Enrique.

We had two themes nights (tropical and Mexican fiesta) that were really impressed with the food, service and entertainment.

Food was excellent from Flank steak, New York steak to Filet Mignon, grilled shrimp and wonderful deserts, sashimi, tempura, spiced tuna and salmon, canned beer, great mango smoothies, piña coladas and mohitos.

Location of resort is perfect. Beachfront, close to marina and downtown Cabo. Sunsets were beautiful!

Overall an excellent experience and we plan on returning to Solmar!

Room Tip: Tip well. Choose 2nd level or higher.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family