“Luxury”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #28 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My wife and I traded into this resort with our timeshare and stayed for a week. I must say that the staff was superb and the view of the pacific was to die for. The food was excellent and the drinks were delicious and not too badly priced for a high-end resort. We decided "what the hell" and we sat in for the timeshare presentation and it was 3 hours of high-pressure sales tactics which I expected but wanted to get the whole jist of what they have going on at this place. The rooms have great views and the pools are really well-done. If I could trade in timeshare and stay here again I would definitely do it. You can walk init town from the hotel which is nice, but it is far far from the airport so plan on paying a bit for a taxi or just renting a car... no big deal.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew C
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear customer from Denver, Colorado;
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others. It is rewarding for us to know that you have enjoyed your holiday and the amenities from the resort. Certainly the views from this Resort to the Pacific Ocean are breathtaking. Thank you again for your patronage and we hope to greet you here again as our guest in the near future. Best regards!

There are newer reviews for Solmar Resort

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This place isn't as fancy as it's neighbors Grande Solmar or Playa Grande, but more than adequate for most peoples needs. All employees were helpful and kind, rooms are clean, with balconies for viewing the ocean and cool little kitchenettes for most of your culinary needs if you don't want to eat out every meal. Beds were comfortable and everything was very clean. The ability to only be a short walk from the marina and lands end was very nice.

Room Tip: Get a room as far west as possible to avoid construction noise from the new Grand Solmar. Also try...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear customer from Lordsburg, New Mexico:
Thank you very much for your comments, we are glad to learn that you have enjoyed your vacations, the service and facilities from the resort. Nothing will make us happier that have the chance to greet you here again and pamper you as you deserve. Warm greetings from Cabo!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Cabo for the first time and stayed at Solmar for 4 nights. The resort is amazing! We ate breakfast on the beach every morning, had incredible service, and LOVED the food. The entire staff makes you feel welcome, comfortable, and genuinely cares about your experience. The resort is not only on the beach, but it's a short walk into town, so we loved the location as well. We'd also recommend you do any of the Cabo Adventures Excursions. They're reasonably priced and the tour-guides rock! Hope to go back soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Michelle T

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. It is my pleasure to read that you have enjoyed our cuisine and the warm and genuine service from our personnel. We hope to have the chance to host you again and provide you an even better experience. Warm greetings!!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed at Solmar All-Inclusive Resort for five nights 3/31/14-4/5/14. The whole stay was very relaxing, just what I was needing. The employees are extremely courteous and genuinely want you to be happy and have a great time. Loved my room with the very comfortable bed and different pillows to accommodate my needs. It is cleaned to perfection every day. I dropped one of my vitamins on the floor unknowingly, and after my room was cleaned, it was right there on my nightstand. Very thoughtful of the maid to do that and I tipped the maids every day, as well as the wait staff. There are quality bath products, but bring your own hair conditioner or go to Super Express or Oxxo if you forget it. Inexpensive there. I thought the food was Five Star. A la carte, there are no buffets, which means the meal you ordered off the menu is cooked fresh just for you and the presentation was excellent...almost too pretty to eat! I do not like my food prepared with salt or butter and they saw to it I got my wish. Loved the food and friendly service. Try the green juice at breakfast, so tasty and healthy...a must! The ambience looking out onto the pristine, unspoiled beach when dining was wonderful. I purchased the Wi-Fi upon check-in. It worked in my room for my ipad and netbook as I had taken both for some work I had to do. Good internet connection, but downloading photos took a very long time. Minor problem. Both ipad and netbook fit in the safe. Note: upon check in, ask for your lock and safe key. Do not lose it or there will be a charge (normal of all hotels). There are also beach towels in your room. Use them freely, but bring them back to your room - a concept I appreciated. There are no cabanas for towel check in/out which I really liked. I did take a walk down the beach to Land's End and climbed over the boulders to Divorce Beach and Lover's Beach. Be sure to bring a small back pack so you can be hands-free and sneakers. I did take the hotel provided shuttle (excellent, complimentary service provided) over to the Playa Grande Hotel and it is true to its name...grand (and huge). Upon my next trip to Cabo, I prefer the Solmar. Although Playa Grande is a very upscale hotel, it seemed like Las Vegas on the ocean to me as I prefer peace & tranquility. Solmar has a tour desk and I booked a trip on La Isla boat, a motorized floating dock that takes you beach hopping, has kayaks, water toys and snorkel gear. Departs from the marina. So fun and unique. I also booked through tour desk ultra-light fying with Cabo Sky Tours...a must to do in Cabo...very safe and thrilling. The walk to the marina and town is 5-10 minutes from the hotel I did it in the mornings when it was cool as I do not like to walk in hot weather. A tip to get you there in the shade: walk from Solmar past the security desk to the bottom of hill, take a right and walk up the sidewalk over a hill and down that hill. You will see a Flea Market (opens at 9AM). Walk in there and there are numerous stands in there but it is cool and shaded. When you don't see any cruise boats around, bargaining is much better. It takes you into the marina area and soon you are at the end of the marina where Nowhere Bar is and downtown. I discovered this short cut on my last day after walking the hot streets at mid-day. I would recommend Solmar to anyone who is looking for a relaxing getaway and I plan to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
10  Thank Susan_Powers_2004
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week in Cabo San Lucas-our first time. I had done lots of research about the hotel and the area but was still anxious about room condition, location, food, water, transportation, language, etc. The Solmar exceeded my expectations in ALL areas. The first few minutes we were there made an extremely positive impression on us. We arrived at 9:00 PM to a beautifully lit courtyard which made me think that we were at the wrong hotel-we weren't. In fact, the pictures do not do the property justice, everything is well-maintained, clean and lovely. David, our gregarious and speedy bellman, met us and instantly took care of our bags and helped us to the front desk where we were met by Raymundo (professional, courteous, and outgoing) who took care of our reservation. (In the days to come we would find that Raymundo would drop everything he was doing to answer questions during our stay and always made us feel as though we were the most important guests on earth and every detail or question we had mattered.) Raymundo explained the all-inclusive plan, answered our questions, and finished our check in efficiently. I was concerned that the hotel would not honor the room "upgrade upon registration" that I booked with American Airlines. I needn't have worried-we booked a studio and received a one bedroom, with two balconies and an expansive view of the Pacific on the fourth floor (Room 2484-away from the construction-which wasn't a concern the entire trip). In fact, I remember asking in the on-line booking form for non-smoking, king, higher floor, quiet, ocean view...I felt that the upgrade was not only honored, but that they actually read my request-something, I feel, most US hotels ignore.
I loved the room and my husband can tell you I'm picky. Yes, the tiles could be replaced as they are outdated, but I loved the room colors, linens (the sheets and towels always smelled incredibly fresh), décor, and furniture. The room was very clean and I found the bed to be so comfortable I could've taken it home. Raymundo also encouraged us to eat at the restaurant when we arrived before it closed and made a reservation for us. This, too, was a pleasant surprise, outdoor seating and delicious food. We would enjoy many such meals between breakfast, lunch (shrimp quesadillas!) and dinner (coconut shrimp!) and be charmed by our favorite waiter, Alejandro-who worked on my husband's Spanish and brought many smiles to both my husband and me. So within the first hour we not only were greeted as if we were VIP's, shown a wonderful room, but also enjoyed a wonderful dinner listening to the waves crash at the restaurant's outdoor patio.
I also want to mention that it is not necessary to buy the Fiesta at Playa Grande. Selene did a marvelous job of setting up the Mexican Fiesta at Solmar. The beach in front of the restaurant was set up with tables in the sand, a buffet, lights, and a stage area. Selene was the master of ceremonies and announced the various acts (traditional singing and dancing) and interspersed guest games and dancing in between. Well done and fun!
As far as the location-it couldn't have been more perfect for us. A five minute walk took us into the hustle and bustle of the marina and also the bus stop. We did use the local bus to go to the glass factory (about 26 cents a piece, one way), we also used the bus to go to the Art Walk in San Jose del Cabo ($3.00 a piece one way). We also walked to Lover's Beach and Pelican Rock from the hotel, once over the rocks (be careful) and once down the hill and to the right of the marina. We also booked two excursions (both with Sunrider) a sunset cruise and a trip to LaPaz to swim with whale sharks. Sunrider is a great company and I would highly recommend them to anyone.
So, in the end, all of my worries were for naught: Wonderful room, extremely friendly and courteous staff, no problems with the language, safe city, as much water as I wanted to sign for, perfect location, quiet property, delicious food, and a boat load of memories of a fantastic first Cabo experience...which will definitely not be our last. Hasta luego.

Room Tip: Our one bedroom at the end of the building had two balconies, and being on the fourth floor allowed...
10  Thank Patsy M
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We recently spent 6 nights at the original Solmar Resort, our 3rd time there. The staff are friendly and helpful and they go out of their way to accommodate special requests.The food is delicious and the rooms while older are clean, comfortable and spacious.Beautiful landscaping too. The last night we were there we were able to enjoy our favorite dinner special on the patio even though it was Mexican Fiesta buffet.
Despite the fact there is construction going on it was not overwhelming. We were there during Spring Break (unfortunately) but the staff did their best to contain the parties/late night noise so that everyone could enjoy their vacations. We would especially like to mention Raymundo and Nubia at the front desk, Alfredo! and Heriberto! at Bar Trebol (they are fantastic and Heri cooked our catch superbly :) Miguel was everywhere and super and Leora and Nancy in the dining room--all very helpful. But, our all-time favorite staff person is Jose-Luis! now in the dining room at breakfast.
This all-inclusive is low-key, affordable, within walking distance to town/marina--an excellent value. Go while you can, sadly they will probably tear down the lovely smaller buildings to make way for more of the high rises.
Note: You have to sign for everything for the hotel record keeping(but won't be charged if all-inclusive) and dinner reservations for the hotel restaurant are necessary every night.

Room Tip: We prefer rooms in Buildings F and G by the "quiet pool" at the top of the property.
5  Thank Elizabeth P
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We did our homework and Solmar exceeded our expectations. Great and friendly staff, food was outstanding as well, enjoyed the pool and fire pits. Good fishing off the beach, and the sushi bar prepared our catch for us. I plan on coming back next year, best vacation ever!

Thanks to the great staff - Jim