“Loved the Solmar”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week in Cabo San Lucas-our first time. I had done lots of research about the hotel and the area but was still anxious about room condition, location, food, water, transportation, language, etc. The Solmar exceeded my expectations in ALL areas. The first few minutes we were there made an extremely positive impression on us. We arrived at 9:00 PM to a beautifully lit courtyard which made me think that we were at the wrong hotel-we weren't. In fact, the pictures do not do the property justice, everything is well-maintained, clean and lovely. David, our gregarious and speedy bellman, met us and instantly took care of our bags and helped us to the front desk where we were met by Raymundo (professional, courteous, and outgoing) who took care of our reservation. (In the days to come we would find that Raymundo would drop everything he was doing to answer questions during our stay and always made us feel as though we were the most important guests on earth and every detail or question we had mattered.) Raymundo explained the all-inclusive plan, answered our questions, and finished our check in efficiently. I was concerned that the hotel would not honor the room "upgrade upon registration" that I booked with American Airlines. I needn't have worried-we booked a studio and received a one bedroom, with two balconies and an expansive view of the Pacific on the fourth floor (Room 2484-away from the construction-which wasn't a concern the entire trip). In fact, I remember asking in the on-line booking form for non-smoking, king, higher floor, quiet, ocean view...I felt that the upgrade was not only honored, but that they actually read my request-something, I feel, most US hotels ignore.
I loved the room and my husband can tell you I'm picky. Yes, the tiles could be replaced as they are outdated, but I loved the room colors, linens (the sheets and towels always smelled incredibly fresh), décor, and furniture. The room was very clean and I found the bed to be so comfortable I could've taken it home. Raymundo also encouraged us to eat at the restaurant when we arrived before it closed and made a reservation for us. This, too, was a pleasant surprise, outdoor seating and delicious food. We would enjoy many such meals between breakfast, lunch (shrimp quesadillas!) and dinner (coconut shrimp!) and be charmed by our favorite waiter, Alejandro-who worked on my husband's Spanish and brought many smiles to both my husband and me. So within the first hour we not only were greeted as if we were VIP's, shown a wonderful room, but also enjoyed a wonderful dinner listening to the waves crash at the restaurant's outdoor patio.
I also want to mention that it is not necessary to buy the Fiesta at Playa Grande. Selene did a marvelous job of setting up the Mexican Fiesta at Solmar. The beach in front of the restaurant was set up with tables in the sand, a buffet, lights, and a stage area. Selene was the master of ceremonies and announced the various acts (traditional singing and dancing) and interspersed guest games and dancing in between. Well done and fun!
As far as the location-it couldn't have been more perfect for us. A five minute walk took us into the hustle and bustle of the marina and also the bus stop. We did use the local bus to go to the glass factory (about 26 cents a piece, one way), we also used the bus to go to the Art Walk in San Jose del Cabo ($3.00 a piece one way). We also walked to Lover's Beach and Pelican Rock from the hotel, once over the rocks (be careful) and once down the hill and to the right of the marina. We also booked two excursions (both with Sunrider) a sunset cruise and a trip to LaPaz to swim with whale sharks. Sunrider is a great company and I would highly recommend them to anyone.
So, in the end, all of my worries were for naught: Wonderful room, extremely friendly and courteous staff, no problems with the language, safe city, as much water as I wanted to sign for, perfect location, quiet property, delicious food, and a boat load of memories of a fantastic first Cabo experience...which will definitely not be our last. Hasta luego.

Room Tip: Our one bedroom at the end of the building had two balconies, and being on the fourth floor allowed...
10  Thank Patsy M

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We recently spent 6 nights at the original Solmar Resort, our 3rd time there. The staff are friendly and helpful and they go out of their way to accommodate special requests.The food is delicious and the rooms while older are clean, comfortable and spacious.Beautiful landscaping too. The last night we were there we were able to enjoy our favorite dinner special on the patio even though it was Mexican Fiesta buffet.
Despite the fact there is construction going on it was not overwhelming. We were there during Spring Break (unfortunately) but the staff did their best to contain the parties/late night noise so that everyone could enjoy their vacations. We would especially like to mention Raymundo and Nubia at the front desk, Alfredo! and Heriberto! at Bar Trebol (they are fantastic and Heri cooked our catch superbly :) Miguel was everywhere and super and Leora and Nancy in the dining room--all very helpful. But, our all-time favorite staff person is Jose-Luis! now in the dining room at breakfast.
This all-inclusive is low-key, affordable, within walking distance to town/marina--an excellent value. Go while you can, sadly they will probably tear down the lovely smaller buildings to make way for more of the high rises.
Note: You have to sign for everything for the hotel record keeping(but won't be charged if all-inclusive) and dinner reservations for the hotel restaurant are necessary every night.

Room Tip: We prefer rooms in Buildings F and G by the "quiet pool" at the top of the property.
5  Thank Elizabeth P
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We did our homework and Solmar exceeded our expectations. Great and friendly staff, food was outstanding as well, enjoyed the pool and fire pits. Good fishing off the beach, and the sushi bar prepared our catch for us. I plan on coming back next year, best vacation ever!

Thanks to the great staff - Jim

1  Thank EstherJG
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife and I wanted to return to Cabo for an extended stay after having visited via cruise ship for only 8 hours. We shopped and were impressed with the fact they were on the Pacific Ocean with a very short walk to the Marina in town. We booked the inclusive package.The room was nice, and other than a couple of plumbing issues, yes THAT issue, we enjoyed our room. The waiters at the restaurants were all fantastic, although it took a couple of meals to remember we were on "Mexican Time". There were only a handful of college aged kids that stayed there, so the pools were relatively quiet most of the time. Beautiful sunsets, close-in snorkeling, whale watching from our room or from the beach, and just fun walking around town made the issue of hearing the sales pitch seem minor. We were expecting a lot more noise from the construction than what we actually heard. In fact, what bothered my wife and I the most were the loud moans and grunts from neighboring rooms. We met a lot of very nice people of all ages, and enjoyed their company and conversations.

Room Tip: Our room was on the north end by the small pool and bar, on the opposite end of the construction We...
3  Thank tiller02
Reviewed April 2, 2014

From the moment we walked in the staff and amenities couldn't have been any better !!! Selene the activities girl AMAZING!!! Pool staff ultra attentive definitely will be back !!!! Dining room best food !!!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank 619nicky
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We had a wonderful stay. It was our 5th trip to Cabo and the first time at the Solmar. It is a small resort and is 30-35 years old but is very well maintained . It is beautifully landscape and the staff were very cordial. I would stay there again. It was very relaxing and quite staying on the Pacific side. You were not hassled on the beach by the throngs of venders like at Mondano. It has a great location to the marina and downtown (5 min walk). The food was very average, but the sushi bar was very good. The room was very large and clean. All beaches on the pacific side are dangerous and are not swimmable.Very bad rip tides. The pools are nice and were well maintained. The pool furniture is old and could use updating.

This is not a 5 star hotel but if you are looking for a good value in Cabo, this was very nice, quite, clean well run place with a great location and a very friendly staff. .If your tastes demand 5 star luxury, then you need to stay next door at the the Grand Solmar and pay the price.

2  Thank Rich R
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This year will be our twenty fourth year in a row,we stay at the old Sol Mar, we have met some awesome folks over the years is a wonderful place to come and relax, close to town and great food all over town, this is a mexican city built for americans have fun and be nice

Room Tip: we stay on ground floor and like it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family