“Mini Honeymoon”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I had been pretty busy with work so we wanted a short impromptu honeymoon at a great value and we feel this resort more than delivered. Here are a few bullet points for people who use tripadvisor:

1) The construction was absolutely a non-factor, aesthetically yes it is not the best but the noise is so overstated on some of these reviews!

2) The service here is unmatched. I loved the people at this resort, and everyone came to work with a smile on there face and ready to work.

3) Cannot swim in the beach. I do not hold this against the resort as it appeared to me as a Cabo novice that a majority of beaches you cannot swim in, but just be aware of this when coming.

4) Pool was clean, great, and not packed.

5) Food... AMAZING. This is the best part of the hotel in my mind, not sure what they says about me but for all inclusive the food is by far the best... breakfast is unreal good.

Is it a 5 star resort? No, but unless you are drunk when booking the trip you already know this. The resort delivers as advertised and is a great value. I personally loved my first trip to Cabo and believe this resort had a lot to do with it and will strongly consider coming back.

2  Thank Will-and-Karen-27

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have been staying here for the last five years and sadly it has gone from wonderful to disappointing in my opinion...we rented a two bedroom penthouse only to wake up to a cockroach in the kitchen and very loud construction noise beginning at 7am. They offered to fumigate, which was not an option for us, and/or move us to another two bedroom next door (facing the marina with no ocean view). We come here to wake up looking at the Pacific Ocean. They continue to be nice however none of the "solutions" worked for us. Unfortunately, I would not recommend staying here for more than a night.

My other complaint is that the management allows guests at the pool to play their amplified music at the pool. Yesterday we had to listen to at least two very loud iPods playing country and rock at the same time. It is as though they have given up on setting a relaxing atmosphere for the guests.

This place has lost the magic it once had, I guess that is progress. The people are still nice though. :)

2  Thank tonybain
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Maybe on of the oldest resorts in Los Cabo at Land's End. Exceptional beach access (not a swimming beach on many days with riptides and large waves). The one concern was the neighboring Gand Solmar 9 story tower under construction next to the resort. Construction starts around 7 am and goes until 5 pm, 7 days a week, except holidays. Good news, the tower is soon to be completed in March 2014 after 5 years of construction. Friendly resort staff and very accommodation. Would encourage the all inclusive meal plan. Our family of 5 averaged $80 USD for breakfast, $130 USD for lunch and $200 USD for dinner at the resort prices per day. Add the drinks at the pool and we were over $600 USD per day. There were a few buffet dinner meals offered, food was good but not labelled and needed to ask staff for food descriptions. Also, they offered a few nights with live singing - not anyone you will see anytime soon on a Top 1,000 list.
There are 3 dining areas on site. The main restaurant, a lower pool/ sushi bar and a upper pool/ sports bar. The main dining room offers amazing views of the sea/ ocean and dining to crashing waves was very relaxing. The upper pool seemed to be more relaxed and quiet, probably because it does not have the swim up bar.
All in all, we had a great 2 week stay this year the last 2 weeks of December over the Christmas Holiday.

Room Tip: For the next few months, ask for a room away from the new Solmar Grand tower, VERY noisy. We were i...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was our second year in a row getting a great deal for a resort on the Pacific side of Cabo. This location is amazing! Other than that, not so much. The all inclusive is awful and I actually had an allergic reaction to the cheap booze they serve. I asked for top shelf tequila for my margarita and they didn't even have any on property! In Mexico! If you are looking for a bar to hang out, there isn't one. And the lights go out in all the common areas (which are few) at 10pm. The service in the main restaurant was so/so. Jose, the cook in the snack bar was amazing, but I wanted a bit more out of my dining experiences. The construction will wake you up. And it's 7 days a week. This resort was probably pretty awesome once upon a time, but I think they are planning to tear it down so they don't care much anymore. Last year's Groupon deal at the Pueblo Bonita Sunset Beach made this look like Motel 6. If you want a steeply little resort, and wake up before 7am, maybe this is for you. Sorry, but I suggest going elsewhere.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sagesmom
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear customer from Santa Cruz, California;
Thank you for taking the time to posting your review. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed our location and the service from our snack bar's employee. I am working with the entire staff to ensure we handle things differently in the future in order to fulfill your expectations. Best regards!

Reviewed December 17, 2013

It's convenient, within walking distance of downtown, and I'm assuming at most times rather private and quiet. Yes there is construction going on, but despite many people's reviews, it's white noise and doesn't interfere with a day next to the pool with a book or drinking with friends. Great service, always friendly, and overly accommodating. Don't be fooled by the mixed reviews, it's a great place at a great rate with a feel of older Mexico, and very clean. My friends and I enjoyed ourselves immensely and cannot speak highly enough about everything. Keep your expectations in check and you'll have an amazing time.

I could go on and on about everything "extra" they did for our group. I know that my wife and I will DEFINITELY be going back.

Thank you Solmar!

Dear customer;
Thank you very much for your kindly comments. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your vacation and the locations of the resort. Certainly we are located in a secluded beach which offers spectacular views and tranquility without be far away from down town for those who enjoy the nightlife or just go shopping. I appreciate very much for having us chosen to spend your holiday, it will be our pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the near future and provide you an even better experience. Warm greetings from Cabo!

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

The employees of this Resort were wonderful. Our first day we went in with the American mind set that when eating things should be in and out and were a little put off. Then we realized we were on vacation and took the time to enjoy the experience. We had the pleasure of having the same waiter almost everyday. Jose Luis remembered after just one time how we liked coffee ect. And the Maitre de Ernesto was always incredibly pleasant. He even gave me a hug when he realized it was our last night. The food was fantastic and the room always made up. The only down fall would be the currents made it very unsafe to swim in the ocean by the Resort. But if ur willing to catch a taxi or walk a little ways you can get to the swimmable beach. I loved my stay at Solmar.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear customer;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your vacation and our staff has provided you a good customer service. Thank you for recommend our cuisine. I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon. Be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Happy holidays!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I both visited Los Cabos in 1986 and decided to return this December. We booked a week at the Solmar and also rented a car to do some sight seeing. The hotel was wonderful and exceeded our expectations. The location could not be better as it is located on a large beach just near Land's End, however, it is within a short walk to the Marina and Centro. There you can find abundant shops, restaurants and night-life for everyone. The staff of the hotel was very friendly and accommodating and went out of their way to please. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the view of the ocean, well manicured gardens and pool areas was spectacular.One of my reservations was that the hotel was an all inclusive and one ordered from the menu. This doubt soon dissipated as the menu included variety and was of a high quality of any first rate restaurant. I actually got to meet and talk to the chef who explained his quest for excellence, service, and tasty food. An added benefit was that we were able to use the gym facilities for free at the Playa Grande Hotel which was just around the corner. All the people I talked to on the premises seemed to be enjoying their stay at the hotel .. I highly recommend the property and the surrounding area for a relaxing vacation in the sun.

2  Thank Ken1949
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear customer from Bowmanville, Canada;
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are glad to read we have exceeded your expectations. Certainly the secluded location of the Resort allow our customers to enjoy spectacular views from the Pacific Ocean and its tranquility without be far away from downtown and its bustle. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed the customer service from our staff, your accommodation and the amenities from your all inclusive program. It will be my pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the near future and pamper you as you deserve. Warm greetings from Cabo!!