“Take it for what it is”

Solmar Resort
Ranked #28 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Take it for what it is”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

It's convenient, within walking distance of downtown, and I'm assuming at most times rather private and quiet. Yes there is construction going on, but despite many people's reviews, it's white noise and doesn't interfere with a day next to the pool with a book or drinking with friends. Great service, always friendly, and overly accommodating. Don't be fooled by the mixed reviews, it's a great place at a great rate with a feel of older Mexico, and very clean. My friends and I enjoyed ourselves immensely and cannot speak highly enough about everything. Keep your expectations in check and you'll have an amazing time.

I could go on and on about everything "extra" they did for our group. I know that my wife and I will DEFINITELY be going back.

Thank you Solmar!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear customer;
Thank you very much for your kindly comments. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your vacation and the locations of the resort. Certainly we are located in a secluded beach which offers spectacular views and tranquility without be far away from down town for those who enjoy the nightlife or just go shopping. I appreciate very much for having us chosen to spend your holiday, it will be our pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the near future and provide you an even better experience. Warm greetings from Cabo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

The employees of this Resort were wonderful. Our first day we went in with the American mind set that when eating things should be in and out and were a little put off. Then we realized we were on vacation and took the time to enjoy the experience. We had the pleasure of having the same waiter almost everyday. Jose Luis remembered after just one time how we liked coffee ect. And the Maitre de Ernesto was always incredibly pleasant. He even gave me a hug when he realized it was our last night. The food was fantastic and the room always made up. The only down fall would be the currents made it very unsafe to swim in the ocean by the Resort. But if ur willing to catch a taxi or walk a little ways you can get to the swimmable beach. I loved my stay at Solmar.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear customer;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your vacation and our staff has provided you a good customer service. Thank you for recommend our cuisine. I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon. Be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Happy holidays!
Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I both visited Los Cabos in 1986 and decided to return this December. We booked a week at the Solmar and also rented a car to do some sight seeing. The hotel was wonderful and exceeded our expectations. The location could not be better as it is located on a large beach just near Land's End, however, it is within a short walk to the Marina and Centro. There you can find abundant shops, restaurants and night-life for everyone. The staff of the hotel was very friendly and accommodating and went out of their way to please. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the view of the ocean, well manicured gardens and pool areas was spectacular.One of my reservations was that the hotel was an all inclusive and one ordered from the menu. This doubt soon dissipated as the menu included variety and was of a high quality of any first rate restaurant. I actually got to meet and talk to the chef who explained his quest for excellence, service, and tasty food. An added benefit was that we were able to use the gym facilities for free at the Playa Grande Hotel which was just around the corner. All the people I talked to on the premises seemed to be enjoying their stay at the hotel .. I highly recommend the property and the surrounding area for a relaxing vacation in the sun.

2 Thank Ken1949
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear customer from Bowmanville, Canada;
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are glad to read we have exceeded your expectations. Certainly the secluded location of the Resort allow our customers to enjoy spectacular views from the Pacific Ocean and its tranquility without be far away from downtown and its bustle. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed the customer service from our staff, your accommodation and the amenities from your all inclusive program. It will be my pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the near future and pamper you as you deserve. Warm greetings from Cabo!!
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was our first trip to Cabo so we were inexperienced in how things work. The $200 charge for a ride to the hotel (roundtrip) not cool. Thinking this was an all inclusive trip we were immediately shown it wasn't. We get to the hotel and are informed that we are being charged 30 dollars more than agreed upon at the airport, let that slide. Then we are informed we will be charged double for our upgrade and then are rudely greet by the manager with her print outs of the emails she sent while I was on the plane. There was zero compromise with this lady or any type of adjustment. The rooms were ok but reminded me of an old apartment. The hotel was not the one shown on the website we were directed to on the voucher we purchased from Living Social it was the grand solmar that was shown. The we get to the restaurant and the crappy experience continues, slow service, food was cold, had to flag down the waiters for refills on drinks, one of our appetizers was never received, and the menu was the same everyday for every meal. For all inclusive this sucks, who wants to eat the same food and the same place for 4 days I feel bad for people who stayed longer. Also the whole place is shut down at 10pm so if you want to stay out late you have to go to town and buy food and drink. The staff to me was somewhat friendly but had no knowledge of the resort or the activities that were listed on our info

8 Thank Aaron B
Dear customer from Yuma, AZ;
I appreciate very much your time posting your experience as objective comments helps other travelers to have a wide panorama to plan their trips. I am surprised to know your expectations were different to the hired services even when your emails were replied with options, suggestions, upgrades fees, maps and details of your trip and accommodations by our front desk manager since the last April. Certainly transportation is not part of your A.I. package and the difference charged obey to the last minute changes your mom made on your behalf (private trip instead of the shuttle service you booked). I have discussed all your concerns with the accurate employees and I can assure things will be handled differently in the future. Thank you again for your time. Best regards!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This was our second stay at the Solmar. The staff is so polite and accommodating. Every waiter at the restaurant is amazing. The food was very good. We really enjoy the small cozy place off the beaten path, but only a short walk to the marina. The construction next door was not a problem at all. You couldn't even hear it from our room. The view was amazing and it was nice to not have to battle a million people on the beach (even though you can't swim there). Even though the resort is 25 years old, it has been kept up very well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear customer from Denver, Colorado;
Thank you very much for taking the time to posting your review. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed the resort, its secluded location and the warm customer service from our personnel. Certainly our secluded location allow our customers to enjoy the beauty from the Pacific Ocean without be far away from down town. We hope to have the opportunity to greet you here again in the short future and pamper you as you deserve. Warm greetings!!
Yuma, AZ
Reviewed December 9, 2013

These people are crooks. We decided to upgrade rooms and thought it was just $20 extra dollars a night...wording was poor, only to find out it was $20 per person per night and they conveniently emailed the notice to my son as they were catching the flight out of LAX....They include a gratuity in each charge but unless you specifically ask them, you think you also have to include a tip. Then they want to put a $400 charge for incidentals on your room, I am thinking its for the bar in the room, telephone calls, etc. What it was for was to cover the tip charges you added on to each transaction.....WHAT THE [---]!? The food was poor to lousy. Service was poor and as soon as they found out that we took off the incidental charge, you couldn't get them to wait on you. Also, usually all inclusive they charge the menu from day to day....not this place! I would suggest the owners go to Jamaica and see how an all inclusive hotel is run......
I would give this a 1 out of 10. Livingsocial needs to be more selective on who they chose for promotionals.....
I am an owner of a B&B and have done a Livingsocial promotion which is what this was and I certainly don't try and overcharge my guests to cover the lost revenue on doing a "deal"

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Kimberly W
Dear customer from Yuma, AZ.
Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to share your experience with others.
I am sorry that we didn't meet your service expectations on this visit. I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team to ensure we handle things differently in the future. I understand that the concept of “A.I. a la carte” as we promote our service is completely different to the regular A.I. Resorts, where the buffets are basically cooked for massive services. Instead we cook each meal selected by customers from a menu at the time providing better quality and freshness. By the other side, I am sorry communication was a problem since all the arrangements from your trip were made through your son by email and phone. According to our records, there is confirmation of acceptance of the contracted services. Certainly your credit card was requested to cover the last minutes changes you have requested on transportation, upgrade and any other incidentals you might have during your stay as is customary in any Resort . One more time we appreciate very much your comments since they help us to improve our services and avoid any inconveniences to our customers. Best regards!
Lower Lake, California
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Whales, water, fishing, and sun....what`s not to like. The staff at the Solmar is excellent, while Nicte-Xa de la Torre is always a wonderful host and very efficient, and Raymundo is great as well. The bell hops are great, with Andres being a standout. A short hike to town and marina, gives you the best of both worlds. Francisco, the bartender, really made an effort to see we were enjoying ourselves.(good kid)..... We came here for our honeymoon and we keep coming back
Mike and Marcia

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear customer from Lower Lake, California;
Thank you very much for having chosen our resort to celebrate such special dates. Nothing pleases us more than to have the opportunity to be part of your celebrations.
We are looking forward to your next visit. Best regards!!