“Not a 4 star Hotel....Never again...”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I am not sure what kind of people are reviewing this little hotel, but clearly have a different understanding of what a 4 star hotel is. This is a 2 stars at best, and I am being generous.
I have traveled all over the world and have been to Mexico many time as I grew up there.

I suspect lots of people got great deals through living social if that is the case great, but if like me you paid full price your money will serve you better elsewhere.

Allow me to start by saying that the installations are dated, and not up to par with hotels that would cost you the same, granted the food was great, but it was not consistent. The service at the restaurant was fantastic but the receptionist were not as service conscious.

My husband and I asked to be moved to a different room as we were too close to the construction, which by the way is right there in the hotel.

If this was anywhere else in the world the Hotel would be close due to the liability of the construction site since it is right there.

When I read the reviews I seriously thought the construction was smaller and that people were over reacting, but allow me to say..... This is NOT where you want to be if you want to relax. The noise of the construction and constant drilling drown the sound of the ocean.
There was no music at the pool and not service at the beach. I knew that we couldn't swim on that side of the ocean as the sea is rough and dangerous, but did not know that the staff was so limited that never made it out to the beach chairs to get drink orders.

Did I mention our AC broke twice? and we didn't have water or electricity for 2days not the entire day but when we were ready to go to bed at night time. Granted there was a storm but the AC and water pipe broke 2 days before the storm.

I asked who owned the SolMar properties and was told that no one knew. I guess that is why the overworked and understaffed property tries to make do.

I wont be staying at any of their properties ever again.
The location was very nice but again the ocean is off limits for guess safety.
I really suggest Trip advisor make a category for Living social deals. Full price is not the same as Living social deals and the expectations are very different.

Room Tip: Do Not stay here if you are paying full price if you got a deal with Living social you might be sati...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear customer from Toronto, Canada;
Thanks for sharing your comments with other travelers. I would like to offer you an apology due of the inconveniences you manifest. I have shared your comments with the accurate managers and measures have been taken in regards. Nowadays the electronic media is an advantage since it is fed with information and photographs of users like you that have experienced our service and visit our facilities. By our side, in order to help travelers to choose the best place to stay we provide throughout our web site a description and fees of the resorts that are part of our corporate; two five diamonds resorts, this one and a business class resort. Moreover, I am very sorry I could not fulfill your request for free up grade to our sister hotel since your arrival, I hope the two nights I moved you there were according to your expectations. Certainly you experienced the effects of a tropical storm of the season and the inconvenience this entails not only to the hotel but also to all in Cabo. Once again I appreciate your comments these motivate us to do things differently next time. Best regards!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hospitality at Solmar was great. and the food was amazing too. they definitely made my stay in Los Cabos much more fun. they have a couple of good options for activities such as the atv rides, camel rides, dolphin excursion, boat cruises and many more. the only thing that i didn't really like about the resort was the internet connection. very slow. but then again it was supposed to be a vacation so using the internet wasn't on my top list.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Riri B
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location, but the hotel needs a lot of update. I know they want you to go to their brand new property and their other older property and look at them but when you do, you return to this one, and go, bummer. First night, we had bottom floor stuck in corner by laundry room. Horrible room and cannot imagine why they rent it out. We changed next morning. Then we had a top floor corner room with great view. Second week, back to ground level, but new the lower level pool with ocean view - kind of. Upper floor was for older people, quiet and relaxing. Lower pool was for activities, etc. Overall and okay stay on lands end with nice beach but you cannot swim there.

Room Tip: Upper floor room facing ocean are best.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a blast! We got a great deal on Living Social and were not disappointed. The staff is absolutely wonderful - helpful, gracious, and kind. The property was clean, well-maintained, and the food absolutely delicious! The views from the restaurant was breathtaking. The only downside is that it is a bit of hike from downtown, but it was good to walk off all of the food that we ate! Also, there was a light outside the room by the kitchen window that at night let more light into the room than I like. Curtains on that window would be helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I love it! My husband and I had a great stay. Edson was very friendly, nice, helpful, we loved him! Alex was wonderful waiter, he was funny, great at his job, friendly, fast waiter. We looked forward everyday to the great cooks food, friendly nice, helpful staff, and of course the bar! Can't wait to go back! They made our experience amazing! Love solmar! Thanks staff we will miss you! Until again soon, -sophia and Gary

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 27, 2013

12 friends from Sacramento, CA descended on Cabo San Lucas and stayed at Solmar for 5 days this third week of August. The lasting positive impression came from the great customer relations and service shown by the restaurant staff (afternoon shift) led by Ernesto. We were pampered with sumptuous food, delectable desserts and great-tasting drinks. The waiters were very respectful and friendly, and service was reasonably prompt. When the restaurant was busy, appetizers were served while we waited for our orders being cooked and prepared by an equally outstanding kitchen staff. We remember the names of Victor, Tomas, Emmanuel, Daniel, Gerardo, Moises, Jose Luis, among others, for their outstanding service with a smile. We cannot remember all the names of the restaurant and kitchen staff, but collectively, they all did a wonderful job while we were there. When you happen to be at Solmar, ask for these guys to serve you, and you will not be disappointed. Be sure to reciprocate with a handsome tip as a way of thanking them for making your stay a pleasant experience. ><> Freddie C.

Room Tip: There are some unreasonable customers who smoke inside the rooms, so it is always advisable to ask f...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Freddie C
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Two of the office staff (Nubia and Cristina) were exceptional - everything else was sub-par. Air conditioning was out, we complained daily and were constantly told "they will be there immediately" or "good news, it's fixed" - yet it was never fixed. Management made ZERO effort to resolve the situation and were completely unconcerned with our dissatisfaction. Do have to say that the staff around the resort (with the exception of maintenance) were great and we were very pleased with the restaurant. But due to the lack of air conditioning and the disinterest of the management, we will never return.

Room Tip: Demand to see rooms with air conditioning on BEFORE accepting a room. Also the construction noise fr...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends