“Alot has Changed”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed July 17, 2013

First off I want to say I had a great time with my family this time at the Solmar. What a great Resort and great to see the usual suspects at the pool. This resort has so much character, and is so relaxing and friendly. The nice part is that by the end of the week you feel that you know everyone there. And to be greeted at check-in with a round of Cucumber Margaritas was Awesome!! Really appreciated it and made feel at home. We also had great service from Jose-Louis, Daniel, and Oscar Tomas, and Jesus!!! Juan was fantastic getting our bags to our room and the front desk quickly, and it was no easy task with 7 suitcases up that hill and stairs!! Ernesto was fantastic also with my children and showing them magic tricks. My daughter and son loved that!!! Thanks to Edson for getting my Lunch boxes also for fishing!! They were great (I love Fried Chicken!!).
However, it seems that they are all working with less now here. We got the alacarte all Inclusive again this year, and were bummed to find out that most meals are now buffet :(. This was really a sign of diminishing end for the Solmar. Francisco is such a good cook and I was saddened not to get fresh Chili Quiles every morning. I really look forward to that.
Also many dinners were buffet now also. This was also saddening, especially on the seafood night, when several in our group do not eat seafood. (Luckily they did make some other food for them).Even though we were not allowed to have a menu, the staff still took care of our needs. It’s too bad, one of the main reasons we like staying at Solmar is because of the Ala Carte all inclusive.
I do not blame the staff on these changes as much as I suspect ownership for making the staff have to work with less it seems. I believe it’s a push to move us all to Grand Solmar.
The staff did an excellent job taking care of us to their best ability!!! Despite the disappointment in the all inclusive menus (now a buffet) we will be back soon, but will probably no longer buy all inclusive due to we are not much for buffets.

2  Thank Rcrgoodwrench
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear customer;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are glad to know you have a great time with your family and our personnel have contributed to that. Regarding meals at the restaurant, we try to provide a faster service to our customers those days of big departures only (three times in a week) nevertheless our staff can provide you with the regular menu if you are not in a hurry. Thank you again for your visit, it will be our pleasure to greet you here as our guest in the short future. Best regards!!

There are newer reviews for Solmar Resort

Reviewed July 17, 2013

It was my son's destiny wedding place. We had many unexpected surprises prepared by the hotel while at time of checking out, it never added a dime to our bill. They had very top quality services throughout the entire resort. Definitely the best vacation destiny for all occasions.

Room Tip: by adding US$30 per night, you get suite closer to pool side with great view of pacific ocean.
3  Thank lance w

Dear customer from San Antonio, Texas;
Thank you for posting your review, it is rewarding to know you and your family has enjoyed such a special occasion. We are pleased to know we have exceeded your expectations. It will be our pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the short future. Warm greetings!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I just returned from Cabo yesterday on a short vacation with a dear friend. We had a wonderful time, but there's a few things you should be aware of before you go. As soon as you land, even before you exit the airport, you'll be asked to sign up for one of their timeshare presentations. They'll say it's only a short 90 minutes, and you can sign up for great activities in exchange for your time. The truth: It's not going to be 90 minutes, it'll actually be somewhere around 3 or 4 hours, if not more. The salespeople are a bit pushy, but very convincing. The timeshare sounded like a great bargain, but we didn't buy. At the end, we received our gifts that we signed up for in exchange for the presentation, and were sent on our way. Be sure if you're going to take this route, pick great deals (you get to choose), and be prepared to dedicate a few hours of your vacation to a pitch.

Our hotel room was REALLY nice. The spot was perfect! We were on the ground floor looking right out at the pool from our patio. You can hear the pacific surf crashing against the beach all throughout the day, and at night, it seems to lull you to sleep. The grounds were very well kept, the service was friendly and accommodating, and I fell in love with the cacti. If I ever go again, I think I'll request that exact same room. The overall ambiance of our room fit perfectly with our expectations, and then some! But beware- because the rooms are a good deal, they try to get you in other ways. And be cautious of what you order at the restaurant and bar. I thought everything we ordered was considered part of the all-inclusive, but at checkout, I had a balance to sign for.

The town (walking distance from our hotel) was very safe. I know there are other places in Mexico where it's not a good idea to leave your resort, but this place was actually set up for tourism. I do actually recommend staying near the wharf, because once you're off, you don't really see that much more variety of Cabo life.

Be sure to bring LOTS of one dollar bills. Tipping is expected Everywhere. Actually, be sure to bring plenty of small bills because the exchange rate seems to always change, depending on what vendor you're purchasing from or restaurant you go to. You are more than welcome to use US dollars, but if you pay with a large bill ($20 or more), try to insist on only US change. They'll give you a mix of dollars and pesos, and in the confusion, you won't notice being short-changed.

Be prepared to be approached pretty much throughout the entire day by vendors selling their wares. Either ignore them or say no thanks, and keep walking. Also, if you are interested in purchasing something, try very hard to haggle. They'll work with you, for the most part. Also, I believe they're trying to discourage kids from selling. You'll be approached by the occasional youngster offering trinkets for a few dollars. I wouldn't recommend buying from them.

It's definitely a touristy place, so the food is catered to American tastes. A native once pointed to a restaurant and said, "That's the best american gringo food in town." Perfectly noted. You're not going to find great variety or wild flavors in Cabo, but the atmosphere makes up for it. There are cute little restaurants on the wharf that have great views and friendly service. Everyone is really helpful. The beer is cheap and the outdoor lighting is adorable.

I DEFINITELY recommend going to Lover's Beach. There's another one that you can take a water taxi to (cheap), Medano Beach. They have shops and restaurants, but not too much there. And you'll be pestered constantly by people selling their products. If you're looking for a spot where you can listen to music and have a nice meal, go there. However, if you're looking for natural beauty and a sincere respite, go to Lover's Beach. One word: Amazing. The surf is slightly choppy in the Sea of Cortez, but you can swim there if you want. On the other side (you can walk to) is the Pacific. No swimming there. The waves are very strong, but the beauty of the rocks, the waves, the light, the sound of the surf crashing against the mountains...I honestly can't do it justice.

Also, I recommend taking the ATV tour. Whether you're an experienced rider or not, it's very exciting to see the desert on the back of an atv. You'll ride in a group with others, and you can choose to go single or ride double. Just please don't do something stupid (if you're experienced) and think you can show-boat by fishtailing and jumping over dunes. I accidentally flipped mine, and that hurt just a bit. No harm to bike or rider, thank god. But beyond that, the experience was well worth it, and I have the bruises to prove it!

AND, I recommend going on one of the party boat cruises, if you're into that sort of thing. It's loud and crowded, but GREAT fun. Free drinks and food, and a great view of their famous cliffs.

My overall vacation to Cabo was fabulous. But because this is my first tropical experience, everything I wrote here is from my limited perspective on what's expected of a tropical vacation spot. I would definitely go again, but I think I'd like to broaden my horizons and rack up a few more experiences before I do. My basic suggestions would be to sign up for a few activities, suck up the timeshare pitch and get some deals, check out the beaches and restaurants, chill pool-side when you feel like it, and just enjoy where you are. You're all the way at the bottom of the peninsula!

Room Tip: Choose ground-floor if you can. But there's construction going on, so you'll hear that ever...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank BM W

Dear customer from New Jersey;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others! We are glad to know you had a fabulous vacation. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Please do not wait too long to return I am sure you have a long list to do here in Cabo. Best regards!!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I met my daughter and her family for a week's vacation. We had a great time at Solmar. I wish we would have had rooms closer together - we did not request it but I am sure they would have accommodated us. My daughter and her husband are owners (it is a time share) because they love the place. They had a room very close to the pool which was ideal for them We had room 2494, it was near the construction next door but didn't bother us much. The air conditioner noise mostly drowned it out. The 1 bedroom unit was roomy and comfortable - love the two bathrooms and absolutely LOVED the shower - lots of water pressure and lots of counter space in both bathrooms. Lighting in the bathrooms could have been better and I am short so the 'man sized' (high) counters in the bathroom are a slight problem for me.
It would be nice for each unit to have the same services. My daughter's room got turned down every night. Her in-laws were turned down about 4 times. We were turned down twice in 7 nights (the first night and the last night). One night housekeeping knocked on our door at 9:15 in the evening - a bit late in my opinion to be turning down a bed.
We had a slight problem with the food in that I thought it was an a la carte restaurant but every morning was a buffet, mostly the same food each day. I asked for a menu and was told there was none for breakfast. Disappointing to say the least. I really like my bacon in the morning. However their potatoes are good and the french toast is very good. I thought the lunch menu was the best! There also were a couple nights when they had buffet. We were told we couldn't have a menu on the evening of the seafood buffet. That doesn't work too good when some people absolutely will not eat seafood. Clam chowder was excellent! A few nights we found service to be really bad. We discovered that once we started to request Jose Louis as our server, we got excellent service. He is very attentive and receptive to our wants and needs.
The family pool was wonderful. The one thing I would have liked to see by the pool is some chairs alongside the chaise lounges.
Unfortunately, after being there a couple days, there was a storm that knocked out the cable. We weren't able to watch TV. We did buy internet (I thought it was included) but it was really slow, most likely because the TV was out the rest of the week and everyone else was doing internet. I couldn't even watch a Netflix movie because the streaming was so slow.
The resort is small and friendly. The front desk was nice enough to let us have a late checkout since our departure was in the afternoon. We did have to have our bracelets (indicating all inclusive) cut off at the 11 am checkout even though we were staying till 12. That meant no free lunch <G>. We are considering going back again with the family in December.

Room Tip: Some of the buildings don't have elevators. Ours did. If it didn't I would have had to ask...
3  Thank momtodbl

Dear customer from Carson City, Nevada;
We appreciate your comments and suggestions, thank you for taking the time to express them. It is rewarding to know you had a great time with us, it is our goal to meet your service expectations. It will be our pleasure to greet you here again in December and have the opportunity to provide you an even better experience. Best regards!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I enjoyed staying at the Solmar all inclusive resort. The waiters at Tejeban restaurant and the pool side bar were great. They were very friendly and always willing to grab more drinks or food for us. There is construction next to the resort at Grand Solmar, but it is still a good spot. I would recommend staying here but know it isn't the newest property in the area.

Room Tip: Away from the construction.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kms S
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear customer from Denver Colorado;
We appreciate very much your review, it is rewarding to us to know you have enjoyed your vacation and the amenities from the resort. We are glad to know that our staff has provided you a good customer service. Please do not wait too long to return and allow us to pamper you as you deserve. Best regards!!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We spent 7 days at Solmar and it exceeded our expectations! We appreciated that the hotel was smaller and it seemed to be more personalized. The staff was very hard-working and friendly. The rooms were a little dated, but very clean and the beds were comfortable. The food was good. The breakfast buffet got old (same thing offered every day!) and the seafood buffet night for dinner wasn't that great (if you're going to eat away from the resort one night do it on the seafood buffet night!). But beyond that all of the rest of the food was excellent. My husband went fishing and caught a fish and the chef cooked it up for us and it was quite good. We enjoyed hanging out at the upper pool - hardly anyone was at that pool and Vincente was awesome at taking care of us. The location of the hotel was probably the best part. You're within walking distance to downtown, but you you'd never know you were that close to downtown when you're at the resort. Also, almost all (if not all) rooms had an ocean view which we wouldn't have got at any other hotel for the price we paid. While you can't swim in the ocean, we enjoyed walking along the beach and looking at the beautiful views from the resort.

Our only complaint was the construction. You don't really expect to hear hammers and jackhammers while lounging at the pool on vacation. But we got used to it after awhile and if it really bothered us we'd go sit down by the ocean and listen to the waves crash instead. Another (very minor) complaint was that the drinks weren't always the coldest.

We heard rumor that they will eventually be tearing down Solmar to expand the Grand Solmar next door which I think is unfortunate. Solmar is a wonderful, extremely affordable gem and I hope we get to return someday.

Cabo is time share crazy! We only got asked once at Solmar about doing a time share presentation and we declined and that was all they bugged us for. But beware of the airport and even walking around downtown to be pestered about time share presentations. If you can stand to spend 2+ hours in the presentation you can get a lot of free stuff out of the deal (excursions, etc). But unless you go Marlin fishing most of the excursions are very affordable and to us it wasn't worth wasting one of our mornings to sit through a presentation (and I've heard they are quite rude when you decline). So if you're not interested keep your head down at the airport until you are completely outside and then get a shuttle/cab or you'll spent at least 10-20 minutes inside the airport trying to tell the guy selling you the shuttle service you don't want to do a time share presentation!

We took a glass bottom boat to Lover's beach & the Arch as well as did a Sunset tour. I'd take a water taxi instead of the glass bottom boat as you don't really see anything in the glass bottom and the water taxi is $5/person cheaper. We took the Eco Cat for the sunset cruise and it was perfect - I highly recommend that catamaran!

Room Tip: We stayed in building D and could hear the construction a little bit in the morning. If you can get...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank beyer27

Dear customer from Winston,-Salem, NC;
Thank you for taking the time to express your experience with others. It is rewarding for us to read we have exceeded your expectations. Certainly our location could not be better in a secluded beach with the Pacific Ocean providing us breathtaking views and at a reasonable distance from down town. It will be our pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the short future. Best regards!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The good stuff first:
Most of the staff (save for perhaps one waiter) is what makes this place special!
NICTE-XA! I'd probably have changed resorts, but this girl is amazing! She's smart, efficient, and will do whatever it takes to make your holiday fantastic! She found us an incredible room, connected with housekeeping to have them make it super-romantic...helped us with every detail if our stay. She really was great! Truly fantastic!
Moises, by the pool...is one of the best servers I've ever had while on vacation. He made our day fantastic every day!
The rooms are gorgeous...huge tubs, decorated nicely, and absolutely spotless.
The negative--the building noise is relentless, never ending. Also, it was a little weird to be told that we couldn't use the Grand Solmar facilities, because there "isn't room while they are building" when in fact, the pools were almost empty, and guests from that side were able to use the facilities in our resort.
Also, you can't take food to your room (one waiter was VERY sticky on this) rather you have to order from room service, which isn't all-inclusive. This would be alright, except the process for ordering is less than flawless. It took a long time, and many calls to get to the right place.
Overall, thanks to Nicte-xa, and Moises, and Martha, we had a nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the middle by the pool, for the best view and least walking...and ask to be as far...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PennyM1

Dear Penny;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. It is rewarding to read our personnel from housekeeper, waiters and our front desk manager have walked the extra mile to exceed your service expectations. We are working on your comments and suggestions to ensure you the best service experience on your following visit. It will be our pleasure to greet you here again in the short future. Cordially!!