“an affordable, relaxing week!”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at the Solmar for a week after purchasing a LivingSocial deal and were satisfied with our stay. The room was great and our housekeeper, Martha, was outstanding. The food and drinks were better than all-inclusives we have visited in the past with a decently varied menu. The beach view was remarkable, although we were not allowed to walk past the Grand Solmar resort towards the rocks. The weather was incredible and there was always a chair by the pool!

Overall, the service was not the best, with the exception of Vicente. We cannot say enough about how helpful and thoughtful Vicente was. He introduced himself to us on our first day and took care of us whenever we visited the upper pool. In fact, he was the only member of the service staff to introduce himself and check on us regularly. The only downfall we found was the service at the swim-up pool bar. The bartenders there were reluctant to acknowledge us, even when we sat at the actual bar. They often forgot our drink orders or skipped over us completely, so we took our tips to Vicente in the upstairs bar/pool and were never disappointed!

The location of the resort is perfect. It is a quick walk to the marina, where we found more opportunities for entertainment. Everything at the resort shuts down at 10pm, which seemed early on most nights. The marina offers other options, you just have to pay for them. They were doing construction, but our room was on the other side of the resort and we could tune it out for the most part while laying by the pool.

Room Tip: Get a room away from construction if possible!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear customer from Lexington, Kentucky;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. I am sharing your review with Vicente, he will be happy no know his efforts are well appreciated by our customers. I am working with the rest of the staff to ensure they follow the service standards to guarantee a warm and efficient service. We are glad to know you have enjoyed the resort and the amenities from the all-inclusive program. We are looking forward to greet you here again as our guest. Best regards!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,819)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My friend and I recently traveled to Cabo after purchasing a Living Social deal. After we looked at the reviews, we realized what a great deal it was for a friend vacation.

I can't say enough about the staff who works at Solmar. Ernesto, Raul, Daniel and Angelica were fabulous! They were attentive, funny and so easy to be around. Angelica, Solmar's new activities director, even helped me with my yoga routine!

I'd recommend Solmar to anyone looking for a casual getaway. I wouldn't say that this is a romantic destination, but it can be, if you have one of their suites (I'm told).

Go to the spa while you're there. It was the best massage I've ever had, and hearing the waves in the background only adds to its appeal.

Room Tip: There is a lot of construction on the premise, but put on the A/C and you won't hear a thing.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Brittany F. from Buffalo, New York;
Thank you very much for share your experience with others. We are pleased to read you have enjoyed your vacations and the friendliness of our staff. I'm glad you found time to enjoy our spa cabañas, a massage close to the beach it’s a great decompressor. Thank you for your visit; it will be our pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the near future. Warm regards!!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great, consistent and attentive service of every staff member from the front desk to the restaurant to pool side bar & housekeeping.

We were upgraded to a room with 2 balconies and 2 bathrooms! Big living room, full service kitchen and king size bed. Extraordinary and unexpected personal touches: on our anniversary housekeeping set up the bed with swan shaped towels kissing each other and on my birthday, balloon shaped decorations and “happy birthday” laid out in colored stones. (Amazing housekeeping!).

Food was not only served more quickly than I expected from some other reviews, it was quicker than any average restaurant. We received our orders in anywhere from 10 – 25 minutes. Besides, at each meal there was a limited buffet always available for immediate food service. We were very happy with the quality of food and drink.

Construction for me was like a low level hum of activity. Not only did it not bother me in the least, I was rarely aware of it unless someone else mentioned it. Then it crept back to my level of awareness soon to fade away as I enjoyed pool side drinks, sun and service.

I used my running gps to track some distances. It was only 1/3 mile into downtown and short leg to the marina. We walked to Medano beach. The next day, we went the other direction over the rocks to Lovers Beach. Also, 1/3 mile to rocks – up and over. Little scrambling. We brought sneakers. I couldn’t believe how close and convenient everything was. Perfect location.

I used fitness center at sister resort on two different days. Conveniently close, nice perk and sister resort service was also great.

Exclusively used the lower main pool with the pool bar and next to the main restaurant. So, cannot comment on the upper pool service though the folks seemed extremely friendly as we walked by. Lower pool service was quick and attentive. We hung out all day ordering drinks, snacks and food. We would go swimming and order at the pool bar and return to our chairs. Throughout the day and multiple orders, we were never asked to sign for our food or drink until we told them we were done for the afternoon. Throughout our stay we only signed 2-3 bills a day for each meal. There was no frequent requests for signing as some other reviews mention.

Angelica, the activities director, positively engaged us and so many people around the pool offering yoga on the beach, salsa lessons and just throwing the ball back and forth with kids. She was terrific.

Woke up early one morning to see staff landscaping, sweeping sand, washing down the poolside. The degree to which the staff dedicate themselves to the details and hard labor was inspiring.

I wish I could remember everyone’s name who provided some great service. Here are some: Ernesto, Alejandro & Jose Luis, Raul, Edson, Oscar, Angelica, Daniella, Victor, Samuel, Daniel, Jose, Guerrero

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JOERhodeIsland
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear customer from Estes Park, Colorado;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your thoughtful
remarks are very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience.
It is gratifying to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and the amenities from the resort as well as the friendliness of our staff. It will be our pleasure to see you here on your next visit to Cabo. Warm greetings!!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you want one of the super luxury resorts, you should go somewhere else, like the sister Grand Solmar resort. But the All-Inclusive Solmar is a wonderful place for people like us, who want a really nice place to stay without taking out a second mortgage.

Pros:
-The ocean view! IMPORTANT NOTE - You cannot swim from this beach. It has a giant undertow and huge waves. You cannot swim from any of the beaches on the Pacific side this close to town. If you want a swimmable beach you have to go to the east of the marina, at Medano Beach. But the view from the resort is stunning and the beach is beautiful and clean. There are chairs on the beach or you can lay by the pool and watch the view. You also can take a 20 min walk/hike around to the beaches all along the other side of the peninsula (Lover's Beach and the small beaches along the peninsula on that side) which are swimmable, including the one by Pelican Rock with lots of great snorkling.
-Beautiful pools. They were clean and with great beach view. The main pool has a swim up bar. There is one for adults only, although we didn't have many kids when we stayed there.
-Nice rooms, although a little dated in the bathrooms. But big and clean with beautiful views from balconies/ porches. Bed was fine - nothing fancy but clean and ok comfort wise.
-Friendly staff
-Location. A short walk to the main marina (10 min). This is also the closest resort to the Arches and Land's End. You can hike a loop from the Solmar beach all the way around the tip (through Lover's and Divorce beaches) and through the marina back to the hotel (about 45min) if you don't mind climbing over rocks and getting your feet wet. It's a beautiful hike. It has the best combination of view (ocean beach) and proximity to town of any other resort I saw.
-Free food and drinks! All you want, and it's pretty good food, too. Especially the quesadillas by the pool. Free alcohol if you are into that.
-Atmosphere. It was quiet and peaceful when we were there, and the construction next door was not an issue at all. Of course, I can't promise the other people staying there will always be good, but there was no problem with drunken party-goers or crazy kids while we were there.

Cons:
-Slow service. Although the food is free and good, plan ahead for eating because it is very laid back service speed. They also have a hard time accommodating larger groups (there were 8 of us together) for meals, but we worked it out.
-Thin walls. The people next to us were in the kitchen a lot at night, conversing with a group, and we could hear everything. Earplugs solved the problem.
-Hot water. We had a short amount of hot water for showers at certain times during the stay.
-Sales pitch. When you first arrive, a "hospitality clerk" will give you a spiel about all of the free things you can get if you go listen to a timeshare pitch. It's up to you if the freebies are worth your time or not, just be prepared.

Just a note - it is probably cheaper to get your other activities from places other than the resort, like scuba/snorkeling trips, water taxi rides and rides to the airport. I found their prices were not astronomical - probably in line with other hotels - but we found better deals on our own.

Overall, this was a great resort for a great price. We went there on a Living Social deal, so it was especially good for us. If you stay there, I would definitely pay for the all-inclusive food package because the food is super expensive otherwise (it was included in our deal, but I guess it is optional otherwise). They make you sign bills for everything you order, but just so they can track sales - you don't get charged. Don't forget to tip, though.

Room Tip: We liked our room on the 1st floor right by the pool, but they all seem to have pretty good views...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ireneybeenie

Dear customer from Phoenix, Arizona;
Thanks so much for posting your review. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others… It is our pleasure to read you have enjoyed your vacation and the amenities from the resort. Nothing makes us happier than know that you had a great time. Please do not wait too much to return and allow us to provide an even better service. Warm greetings!!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We (myself and 2 daughters) stayed at this resort as RCI members. First impression - OH NO CONSTRUCTION! Upon arrival, the front desk staff was not the most friendly or helpful. We asked about our return voucher to the airport and were informed, “you have plenty of time to get that.” We asked about shopping and were informed, “just go down the hill.” We were then directed to another desk for our "welcome pack" unfortunately, this welcome pack was nothing more than brochures and flyers for attractions and excursions, and of course these aren't free! We did receive a certificate for a complimentary drink – that is if we wanted a margarita, beer or coke because that was all it was good for. Bring your own sugar and creamer for coffee, it's not provided. We were encouraged to visit the sister resort (Grand Solmar) and check out the amenities there. We did and were asked our room number when we visited the pool area and when it was discovered we were registered at the other resort we were told we could not be there. HOW EMBARRESSING!!! Then I realized we were probably encouraged to visit just to spend our money there. The pool areas at the Beach Club are nice though, one is lively and noisy with a swim up bar, and Jacuzzi. Then there is a pool further back which is almost unoccupied but the service at this pool is very slow. The food at the all inclusive restaurant was always disappointing. It was either under or over cooked and cold. The fettuccini tasted like boxed mac-n-cheese. It took a long time to get your food and we left still feeling hungry. We paid 60 pesos for 2 cans of coke and never saw a coke can – just 2 fully iced (small) glasses with the cola poured in….. Yet, we saw other guests with their coke cans placed beside their glasses so as to refill their glasses as they became empty. The waiters had a hard time communicating. When we would speak Spanish they would answer in English or we would speak in English and they would answer in Spanish – rude. FYI everything shuts down at 10pm- no more food or drinks. We didn't want to eat there so we paid to eat elsewhere so we would get decent service and food. Cabo Wabo is a must! Fast, friendly and delicious! Be careful about the taxi’s. We got our own the first day to go to the COSTCO. The ride there (driver waited) and back was $12 US. A few days later a ride to the Walmart (just 5 minutes farther) and called by the staff at the resort was $24 US.
The employees, (with exception of the housekeeping staff who were wonderful), were not eager to assist, or friendly, but expected tipping. During our entire stay we had the feeling that we were imposing. Loved Cabo, but will NOT EVER stay at Solmar Beach Club again. I will be sure to also tell RCI blog, all my friends and business associates to choose somewhere else to vacation in Cabo.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear customer from Franklin, IN;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.
I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this visit. I will make sure that your feedback is shared with the rest of the team to ensure we handle things differently in the future. We would be honored with your visit once again you can be sure we will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Best regards!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just got back from Cabo yesterday. We stayed at the Solmar for five nights in a two-room suite. The hotel is dated, but has an authentic Mexico feel and everything you need is there. It was always clean! We were very comfortable.

We had an all inclusive package- it was a bit odd to sign for each meal/ snack, but in the end we had no issues. The food and drinks were good, service was quick and attentive.

You can not swim in the Solmar beach - you have to go to the other side of town to find a good, free public beach. Even so, the view from Solmar of the Pacific is gorgeous!

BEWARE!!!! People everywhere are selling timeshares or vacation clubs. It starts as you get off the plane and doesn't stop until you get back to the airport. DONT STOP UNTIL YOU'RE OUR OF THE AIRPORT, unless you want to sit through a time share presentation - ours lasted 4 hrs!!!! We did get all of our activities paid for (snorkeling, glass bottom boat and sunset cruise) as well as a $100 spa credit & $100 restaurant voucher. LOL, live and learn.

Over all it was a great trip and we'd go back.

• Stayed: June 2013
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear customer;
We appreciate very much your review. We are delighted to know you have enjoyed your vacations and our authentic Mexican style. Certainly our location and the ocean view from the resort could not be better. It will be our pleasure to see you here again as our guest. Best regards!!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This resort is one of very few left that offers such personal attention & care. That being said.... the service of EVERY employee is incredible, but I'd like to point out a few who had an immense impact on our stay. I ended up with a severe skin rash due to using a sunscreen I had not tried before. Cira at the front office was kind enough to call the sister resort and verify if they had allergy medication she knew would help and some sunscreen for sensitive skin available. As if that weren't already enough, she ran to the front of the resort to catch a leaving shuttle and hold it for me so I could get relief immediately. The restaurant and pool staff were also incredible! Ernesto, Alejandro & Jose Luis..... I can't say enough about their service and kindness. Alejandro was kind enough to serve me dessert before dinner... I was on vacation after all, and who has room for dessert if they eat dinner first?!?! I heard rumor that the resort will be torn down in the next several years. What a shame..... get there while you can!!! The more grand and "corporate" hotels in the area were pretty on the outside, but could never compete with the personal touches and care you receive at Solmar. I hope to get back before it is gone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Erin S

Dear customer from Puyallup, Washington;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are delighted to read that our personnel have provided you such personal touches on their services that have exceeded your expectations. Nothing will make us happier than have the opportunity to greet you here again as our guest. Be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Cordially!!