“Great place for the average joe”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you want one of the super luxury resorts, you should go somewhere else, like the sister Grand Solmar resort. But the All-Inclusive Solmar is a wonderful place for people like us, who want a really nice place to stay without taking out a second mortgage.

Pros:
-The ocean view! IMPORTANT NOTE - You cannot swim from this beach. It has a giant undertow and huge waves. You cannot swim from any of the beaches on the Pacific side this close to town. If you want a swimmable beach you have to go to the east of the marina, at Medano Beach. But the view from the resort is stunning and the beach is beautiful and clean. There are chairs on the beach or you can lay by the pool and watch the view. You also can take a 20 min walk/hike around to the beaches all along the other side of the peninsula (Lover's Beach and the small beaches along the peninsula on that side) which are swimmable, including the one by Pelican Rock with lots of great snorkling.
-Beautiful pools. They were clean and with great beach view. The main pool has a swim up bar. There is one for adults only, although we didn't have many kids when we stayed there.
-Nice rooms, although a little dated in the bathrooms. But big and clean with beautiful views from balconies/ porches. Bed was fine - nothing fancy but clean and ok comfort wise.
-Friendly staff
-Location. A short walk to the main marina (10 min). This is also the closest resort to the Arches and Land's End. You can hike a loop from the Solmar beach all the way around the tip (through Lover's and Divorce beaches) and through the marina back to the hotel (about 45min) if you don't mind climbing over rocks and getting your feet wet. It's a beautiful hike. It has the best combination of view (ocean beach) and proximity to town of any other resort I saw.
-Free food and drinks! All you want, and it's pretty good food, too. Especially the quesadillas by the pool. Free alcohol if you are into that.
-Atmosphere. It was quiet and peaceful when we were there, and the construction next door was not an issue at all. Of course, I can't promise the other people staying there will always be good, but there was no problem with drunken party-goers or crazy kids while we were there.

Cons:
-Slow service. Although the food is free and good, plan ahead for eating because it is very laid back service speed. They also have a hard time accommodating larger groups (there were 8 of us together) for meals, but we worked it out.
-Thin walls. The people next to us were in the kitchen a lot at night, conversing with a group, and we could hear everything. Earplugs solved the problem.
-Hot water. We had a short amount of hot water for showers at certain times during the stay.
-Sales pitch. When you first arrive, a "hospitality clerk" will give you a spiel about all of the free things you can get if you go listen to a timeshare pitch. It's up to you if the freebies are worth your time or not, just be prepared.

Just a note - it is probably cheaper to get your other activities from places other than the resort, like scuba/snorkeling trips, water taxi rides and rides to the airport. I found their prices were not astronomical - probably in line with other hotels - but we found better deals on our own.

Overall, this was a great resort for a great price. We went there on a Living Social deal, so it was especially good for us. If you stay there, I would definitely pay for the all-inclusive food package because the food is super expensive otherwise (it was included in our deal, but I guess it is optional otherwise). They make you sign bills for everything you order, but just so they can track sales - you don't get charged. Don't forget to tip, though.

Room Tip: We liked our room on the 1st floor right by the pool, but they all seem to have pretty good views...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ireneybeenie
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear customer from Phoenix, Arizona;
Thanks so much for posting your review. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others… It is our pleasure to read you have enjoyed your vacation and the amenities from the resort. Nothing makes us happier than know that you had a great time. Please do not wait too much to return and allow us to provide an even better service. Warm greetings!!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We (myself and 2 daughters) stayed at this resort as RCI members. First impression - OH NO CONSTRUCTION! Upon arrival, the front desk staff was not the most friendly or helpful. We asked about our return voucher to the airport and were informed, “you have plenty of time to get that.” We asked about shopping and were informed, “just go down the hill.” We were then directed to another desk for our "welcome pack" unfortunately, this welcome pack was nothing more than brochures and flyers for attractions and excursions, and of course these aren't free! We did receive a certificate for a complimentary drink – that is if we wanted a margarita, beer or coke because that was all it was good for. Bring your own sugar and creamer for coffee, it's not provided. We were encouraged to visit the sister resort (Grand Solmar) and check out the amenities there. We did and were asked our room number when we visited the pool area and when it was discovered we were registered at the other resort we were told we could not be there. HOW EMBARRESSING!!! Then I realized we were probably encouraged to visit just to spend our money there. The pool areas at the Beach Club are nice though, one is lively and noisy with a swim up bar, and Jacuzzi. Then there is a pool further back which is almost unoccupied but the service at this pool is very slow. The food at the all inclusive restaurant was always disappointing. It was either under or over cooked and cold. The fettuccini tasted like boxed mac-n-cheese. It took a long time to get your food and we left still feeling hungry. We paid 60 pesos for 2 cans of coke and never saw a coke can – just 2 fully iced (small) glasses with the cola poured in….. Yet, we saw other guests with their coke cans placed beside their glasses so as to refill their glasses as they became empty. The waiters had a hard time communicating. When we would speak Spanish they would answer in English or we would speak in English and they would answer in Spanish – rude. FYI everything shuts down at 10pm- no more food or drinks. We didn't want to eat there so we paid to eat elsewhere so we would get decent service and food. Cabo Wabo is a must! Fast, friendly and delicious! Be careful about the taxi’s. We got our own the first day to go to the COSTCO. The ride there (driver waited) and back was $12 US. A few days later a ride to the Walmart (just 5 minutes farther) and called by the staff at the resort was $24 US.
The employees, (with exception of the housekeeping staff who were wonderful), were not eager to assist, or friendly, but expected tipping. During our entire stay we had the feeling that we were imposing. Loved Cabo, but will NOT EVER stay at Solmar Beach Club again. I will be sure to also tell RCI blog, all my friends and business associates to choose somewhere else to vacation in Cabo.

Dear customer from Franklin, IN;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.
I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this visit. I will make sure that your feedback is shared with the rest of the team to ensure we handle things differently in the future. We would be honored with your visit once again you can be sure we will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Best regards!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just got back from Cabo yesterday. We stayed at the Solmar for five nights in a two-room suite. The hotel is dated, but has an authentic Mexico feel and everything you need is there. It was always clean! We were very comfortable.

We had an all inclusive package- it was a bit odd to sign for each meal/ snack, but in the end we had no issues. The food and drinks were good, service was quick and attentive.

You can not swim in the Solmar beach - you have to go to the other side of town to find a good, free public beach. Even so, the view from Solmar of the Pacific is gorgeous!

BEWARE!!!! People everywhere are selling timeshares or vacation clubs. It starts as you get off the plane and doesn't stop until you get back to the airport. DONT STOP UNTIL YOU'RE OUR OF THE AIRPORT, unless you want to sit through a time share presentation - ours lasted 4 hrs!!!! We did get all of our activities paid for (snorkeling, glass bottom boat and sunset cruise) as well as a $100 spa credit & $100 restaurant voucher. LOL, live and learn.

Over all it was a great trip and we'd go back.

• Stayed: June 2013
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear customer;
We appreciate very much your review. We are delighted to know you have enjoyed your vacations and our authentic Mexican style. Certainly our location and the ocean view from the resort could not be better. It will be our pleasure to see you here again as our guest. Best regards!!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This resort is one of very few left that offers such personal attention & care. That being said.... the service of EVERY employee is incredible, but I'd like to point out a few who had an immense impact on our stay. I ended up with a severe skin rash due to using a sunscreen I had not tried before. Cira at the front office was kind enough to call the sister resort and verify if they had allergy medication she knew would help and some sunscreen for sensitive skin available. As if that weren't already enough, she ran to the front of the resort to catch a leaving shuttle and hold it for me so I could get relief immediately. The restaurant and pool staff were also incredible! Ernesto, Alejandro & Jose Luis..... I can't say enough about their service and kindness. Alejandro was kind enough to serve me dessert before dinner... I was on vacation after all, and who has room for dessert if they eat dinner first?!?! I heard rumor that the resort will be torn down in the next several years. What a shame..... get there while you can!!! The more grand and "corporate" hotels in the area were pretty on the outside, but could never compete with the personal touches and care you receive at Solmar. I hope to get back before it is gone.

1  Thank Erin S

Dear customer from Puyallup, Washington;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are delighted to read that our personnel have provided you such personal touches on their services that have exceeded your expectations. Nothing will make us happier than have the opportunity to greet you here again as our guest. Be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Cordially!!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

On arrival the front desk staff weren't the most friendly and helpful. On speaking Spanish to the girl She continued to speak to me in English. Then a surreal experience where the girl refused to let me see my bill? Then directed to another desk for our "welcome pack" ah great, free gifts vouchers etc....the welcome pack is nothing more than brochures and flyers for attractions and excursions, of course these aren't free! At least the boy on concierge was helpful in ordering me some flowers. (and the flowers were amazing) After trying to tell them this was a surprise and not talk about these when my girlfriend came back, which was comical trying to explain.

The room was dated but nice all the same, and location and view were great. The first day there was water, beer and soft drinks in the fridge. The second day there was nothing but "premium" water which came with a price tag. The sink had remnants from the previous guests but the shower was great along with the rest of the amenities in the room. The WIFI isn't free, 60 USD for the week. This was useless in the room, no service on 2 devices, it did work by the pool though with no problems. The force from the sea waves caused the windows to rattle all night long, a piece of paper jammed in done the trick. After 6 nights my back was suffering with the mattress. We never had to use the air con once in 6 nights as the room was pretty fresh.
The construction work is not disclosed on the site that I booked on, this is a great alarm clock at 8am. Although it did wake me up every morning, the noise just seemed to blend into the background during the day, but for some this would be a big problem trying to relax.
I've stayed on this beach before and I knew the sea was off limits, but this is not disclosed on websites, as well as the previous hotel I stayed at.
The pool areas are great, one lively and noisy with a swim up bar, a jacuzzi and a hidden gem of a pool further back which is almost unoccupied but the service at this pool is very slow.
The food by the pools is excellent, only one exception the Yucatan Ceviche should be renamed Yucatan cebolla. The Sushi is also amazing.
The restaurant on a night time is also good, although some people might have to wait to be seated. Many reviews claim to wait a long time for food, we never had a huge problem with this. One thing is strange is the all inclusive from a menu and having to sign a check??? I've never heard of this in an all inclusive resort. It also makes You feel obliged to leave a tip. Some people go all inclusive with only money for a taxi to and from the airport.
The fact the all inclusive is ordered from a menu, some people were ordering 3 meals for one person and then leaving most of it.
Speaking Spanish and getting replies in English was very rude, but after they got to know us the communication was in Spanish
There is Solmar fishing charter based at the hotel, on reading about Solmar they have one of the best fleets in Cabo San Lucas. We took a trip on a small boat the Don Pepe, the price was good. I've fished here before and had a much better experience with a different firm. The skipper was just trolling around aimlessly, we paid for bait we didn't even use. Towards the end he took us "close in to catch Dorado" I know this area doesn't yield Dorado, it's an area with lots of small fish to keep You happy. We caught a handful of smaller fish up to maybe 5LB. At the end of the trip the skipper finally spoke, " here's a brochure to have Your fish mounted and we can cook your catch on the dock here" all at a cost of course. He seemed less friendly when I didn't give him a tip immediately, although he did get his tip and then he was happy again.
We took one of our fish back to the hotel for cooking. The restaurant Captain was so helpful and informative with this, and we were served up a fantastic selection of this fish for lunch and dinner.
On the final day a boy came to the room to check whether we used the "premium coffee and water".
The bill arrives which can be misleading showing the safe key and donation fees. When You give the key back this amount is taken of the bill and they ask if You want to make the donation.
This may look like many bad points but the good points of the hotel outweigh these.
My biggest gripes were the all inclusive from a limited menu, having to sign a check and having to pay for food to the room, a strange all inclusive deal. The food was excellent but limited.
I would stay here again, but next time in Cabo San Lucas I'll try somewhere different for another experience.
I think the hotel ranked 64 out of 90 this is probably good evaluation.

Room Tip: The construction work is on the South side try and find a room to the North. The rooms on the bottom...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank christopher r

Dear customer from Saltillo, Mexico;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your thoughtful
Remarks are very helpful in order to meet our customers’ expectations. We are glad to know you have enjoyed your suite, the location and all your outdoor activities. We would be honored to have your visit once again, and allow us to provide you an even better experience. Sincerely

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The SolMar staff again made our stay most enjoyable and were so friendly and very helpful. The front desk and the bellmen and our maid(s) were outstanding and made us feel appreciated and valued. We only had positive experiences, and the property was again clean and relaxing. It feels like our second home.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear customer from Alpharetta, Georgia;
Thank you very much for your kind comments, it is rewarding to know our staff have provided you and outstanding service. Nothing make us happier than know you have enjoyed your family vacations. It will be my pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the near future. Warm regards!!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I will start off by saying the highlight of my trip was my stay at Solmar. The staff is always so friendly and eager to make accommodations for their guest. Thanks for their wonderful hospitality to Oscar from the adult pool bar and Angela from activities. The two, in particular took time to get to know my friends and I. Both Angela and Oscar made our stay even more pleasant with their charismatic, friendly attitude. My only real complains about the resort were that WiFi was not free and the fact that one cannot have guest past 10pm and even then there were some restrictions. The food was tasteful above average with the exception that they do not switch up their menu. Therefor the meals got repetitive depending on how long your stay is. Overall I would recommend Solmar (all inclusive) but be warned this is not a party destination for the people in their mid-twenties. Solmar tailors to people who want a calm, quiet vacation such as the older folks.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear customer from Long Beach, California;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are delighted to read our personnel have walked the extra mile to meet your service expectations. We are working on your suggestions, thank you for remark them to us. It will be a pleasure to greet you here again as our guest and have the opportunity to provide you an even better experience. Cordially!