“Cheap and cheerful”

Ranked #28 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Saltillo, Mexico
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

On arrival the front desk staff weren't the most friendly and helpful. On speaking Spanish to the girl She continued to speak to me in English. Then a surreal experience where the girl refused to let me see my bill? Then directed to another desk for our "welcome pack" ah great, free gifts vouchers etc....the welcome pack is nothing more than brochures and flyers for attractions and excursions, of course these aren't free! At least the boy on concierge was helpful in ordering me some flowers. (and the flowers were amazing) After trying to tell them this was a surprise and not talk about these when my girlfriend came back, which was comical trying to explain.

The room was dated but nice all the same, and location and view were great. The first day there was water, beer and soft drinks in the fridge. The second day there was nothing but "premium" water which came with a price tag. The sink had remnants from the previous guests but the shower was great along with the rest of the amenities in the room. The WIFI isn't free, 60 USD for the week. This was useless in the room, no service on 2 devices, it did work by the pool though with no problems. The force from the sea waves caused the windows to rattle all night long, a piece of paper jammed in done the trick. After 6 nights my back was suffering with the mattress. We never had to use the air con once in 6 nights as the room was pretty fresh.
The construction work is not disclosed on the site that I booked on, this is a great alarm clock at 8am. Although it did wake me up every morning, the noise just seemed to blend into the background during the day, but for some this would be a big problem trying to relax.
I've stayed on this beach before and I knew the sea was off limits, but this is not disclosed on websites, as well as the previous hotel I stayed at.
The pool areas are great, one lively and noisy with a swim up bar, a jacuzzi and a hidden gem of a pool further back which is almost unoccupied but the service at this pool is very slow.
The food by the pools is excellent, only one exception the Yucatan Ceviche should be renamed Yucatan cebolla. The Sushi is also amazing.
The restaurant on a night time is also good, although some people might have to wait to be seated. Many reviews claim to wait a long time for food, we never had a huge problem with this. One thing is strange is the all inclusive from a menu and having to sign a check??? I've never heard of this in an all inclusive resort. It also makes You feel obliged to leave a tip. Some people go all inclusive with only money for a taxi to and from the airport.
The fact the all inclusive is ordered from a menu, some people were ordering 3 meals for one person and then leaving most of it.
Speaking Spanish and getting replies in English was very rude, but after they got to know us the communication was in Spanish
There is Solmar fishing charter based at the hotel, on reading about Solmar they have one of the best fleets in Cabo San Lucas. We took a trip on a small boat the Don Pepe, the price was good. I've fished here before and had a much better experience with a different firm. The skipper was just trolling around aimlessly, we paid for bait we didn't even use. Towards the end he took us "close in to catch Dorado" I know this area doesn't yield Dorado, it's an area with lots of small fish to keep You happy. We caught a handful of smaller fish up to maybe 5LB. At the end of the trip the skipper finally spoke, " here's a brochure to have Your fish mounted and we can cook your catch on the dock here" all at a cost of course. He seemed less friendly when I didn't give him a tip immediately, although he did get his tip and then he was happy again.
We took one of our fish back to the hotel for cooking. The restaurant Captain was so helpful and informative with this, and we were served up a fantastic selection of this fish for lunch and dinner.
On the final day a boy came to the room to check whether we used the "premium coffee and water".
The bill arrives which can be misleading showing the safe key and donation fees. When You give the key back this amount is taken of the bill and they ask if You want to make the donation.
This may look like many bad points but the good points of the hotel outweigh these.
My biggest gripes were the all inclusive from a limited menu, having to sign a check and having to pay for food to the room, a strange all inclusive deal. The food was excellent but limited.
I would stay here again, but next time in Cabo San Lucas I'll try somewhere different for another experience.
I think the hotel ranked 64 out of 90 this is probably good evaluation.

Room Tip: The construction work is on the South side try and find a room to the North. The rooms on the bottom...
2 Thank christopher r
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear customer from Saltillo, Mexico;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your thoughtful
Remarks are very helpful in order to meet our customers’ expectations. We are glad to know you have enjoyed your suite, the location and all your outdoor activities. We would be honored to have your visit once again, and allow us to provide you an even better experience. Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The SolMar staff again made our stay most enjoyable and were so friendly and very helpful. The front desk and the bellmen and our maid(s) were outstanding and made us feel appreciated and valued. We only had positive experiences, and the property was again clean and relaxing. It feels like our second home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear customer from Alpharetta, Georgia;
Thank you very much for your kind comments, it is rewarding to know our staff have provided you and outstanding service. Nothing make us happier than know you have enjoyed your family vacations. It will be my pleasure to greet you here again as our guest in the near future. Warm regards!!
Long Beach, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I will start off by saying the highlight of my trip was my stay at Solmar. The staff is always so friendly and eager to make accommodations for their guest. Thanks for their wonderful hospitality to Oscar from the adult pool bar and Angela from activities. The two, in particular took time to get to know my friends and I. Both Angela and Oscar made our stay even more pleasant with their charismatic, friendly attitude. My only real complains about the resort were that WiFi was not free and the fact that one cannot have guest past 10pm and even then there were some restrictions. The food was tasteful above average with the exception that they do not switch up their menu. Therefor the meals got repetitive depending on how long your stay is. Overall I would recommend Solmar (all inclusive) but be warned this is not a party destination for the people in their mid-twenties. Solmar tailors to people who want a calm, quiet vacation such as the older folks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear customer from Long Beach, California;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are delighted to read our personnel have walked the extra mile to meet your service expectations. We are working on your suggestions, thank you for remark them to us. It will be a pleasure to greet you here again as our guest and have the opportunity to provide you an even better experience. Cordially!
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We are owners since old solmar was built!
Love this resort but it is becoming antiquated. Lots of kids at both pools. So you need to love families and kids running around.
We have seen lots of changes over the years and this resort is being left behind.
Grand solmar is large and gorgeous!!
However, the building of grand solmar disrupts the tranquility of old solmar.
Playa grande is a very active resort with lots of frills.
You can walk or free shuttle to playa and use all their gym, activities act.
Solmar, grande solmar and playa can be all inclusive.
They are not interchangeable!!!!
All have different prices from $69.00 per day per person to $110.00 Pdpp...negotiate!!!!
I don't recommend all inclusive at these resorts.
Town is a short walk or taxi away...experience cabo night life.
The solmar fleet of restaurants are not that good nor is the service:(
There are refrigerators,stove top, coffee pot and microwave in your unit.
Lunch at the pool bar or sushi bar is good and reasonable just takes a little patience. Remember, you are on mañana time down here.

If you like to fish...the solmar fleet is one of the best. Book a trip, grab some waters, beer, and fish tacos at the stands near the warf and off you go for a great day of fishing, watching, dolphins, whales, manta rays and maybe an occasional sea turtle.

We will continue to come to solmar until our timeshare runs out but it is sad to see it go down hill.

Some one mentioned it was going to be torn down...it is not.
When grande solmar is finished and the boulmas family starts on their next project on the far pacific side, old solmar will be used as promo getaways to entice people to purchase their new timeshare project. Look for good deal in the future if you like old Mexico without the frills!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a or b building second floor to be close to pool and beach. Ask for g h I buildings upper f...
Dear customer from San Diego;
Thank you very much for your patronage; definitely we appreciate your visits over the years and the time you took to share your experience with others. Your comments are always very helpful to improve. Regarding the speed of the service at the restaurant, I have been working with my staff to improve it since your last visit. I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon. Be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Cordially.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I just spent 6 days (6/15-21/2013) at Solmar. The service and scenery are amazing. They are currently building a new resort next door (Grand Solmar) which makes for a noisy day. From 8am-5pm ish Mon-Sat there is construction noise. If you're a light sleeper, it'll wake you up. my wife never budged...In the room it's faint, but outside it is very noticeable. Despite this, I still think I would go back. I've stayed at two other resorts (Melia and Temptation) and this was the most enjoyable. The beds were great and the food was amazing for an all inclusive. They seem to be able to cater to just about any want or need. Anything you want to eat (whether it's on the menu or not) they'll make it for you. The poolside sushi bar is actually awesome (was a bit suspicious at first). Again, the service was top notch. Every waiter was extremely friendly.
This was a much smaller resort than we expected. The last 2 resorts we visited had bigger pools that got much more crowded during the day. Solmar never seemed crowded and the overall stay seemed much more relaxing. If you're expecting a lot of daily activities at the pool (water volleyball, dancing, etc..) then Solmar isn't the place. There aren't enough people for that. It is a very low key place that is great for a couple looking to really just spend time together.
The beach is very private (never saw more than a handful of people and a few locals skim boarders) and the water is a little calmer here than on the Sea of Cortez side. You can actually get your feet wet without being swept away to an almost certain death.

The restaurant managers, Ernesto (day) and Edson (night) were probably the two most accommodating and friendly people I've ever met at a resort. I don't think "no" is in their vocabulary. They made our experience amazing!

We Loved Solmar!

P.S. Eat at a restaurant called Mona Lisa at least once (Hwy 1, about 3.5 miles north of San Lucas on the corridor, right hand side). Most romantic place ever!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear customer from San Antonio, Texas;
We appreciate very much your kindly comments. We are delighted to know you have enjoyed your vacation and the customer services from our personnel; Please do not wait too long to come back and letting us pamper you as you deserve. Warm regards!!
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This review is for the Solmar Hotel a very antiquated place which you would love if you like old. Not much has changed here over the last 20 years with minor exceptions. The staff is wonderful but the hotel, according to rumors is about to be torn down. It is an eyesore when compared to neighboring resorts, Lands Ending and Playa Grande. Outside of the nice staff, the only good thing about this hotel resort is the availability of Playa Grande. which is a premier resort so we took advantage of their amenitie. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Avoid if at all possible unless you like old and dilapadated.
1 Thank Pablo S
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear customer from Lakewood, Colorado;
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with others. I am sorry that we have not met your expectations on this visit. I understand that our authentic Mexican style is not to everyone's liking. I'm glad to read you have enjoyed some positive aspect from us as the customer service, sleep quality and cleanliness. Thank you again for your visit. Best regards!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband got us and a another couple an all inclusive deal from living social. When we got there we found out that this did not include premium alcohol like patron, etc. The food at the all inclusive restaurant was always disappointing and usually undercooked and cold. I always left the meal feeling hungry. The staff were friendly but sometimes the waiters had a hard time communicating with the customers. We didn't want to eat there again so we had to go off the resort and pay to eat at other restaurants so we would get decent food.
The pool area was small and the pool has not been cleaned overnight so it was super cloudy and did not look okay to get in. I did have to go to the tiki bar so I had to go in the pool to get my drinks. The drinks all tasted the same and didn't seem to have any kind of alcohol in them because I never even got a buzz, but rather a headache. There was a nice pool right next to our for their sister resort with an infinity pool but we were not allowed to go over there.
On the third day we were there they ran out of bottled water so I was sitting by the pool getting dehydrated.
Their housekeeping staff was excellent though and never disturbed me once while I was in my room but whenever I got back in the room was always meticulous.

Since I wasted so much money here (tips, plane, deal, etc) for something I didn't enjoy, I would recommend not going even if you got that deal. If your standards for a resort are pretty low then you will probably like it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Amrita K
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear customer from Seattle, Washington;
Thank you so much for posting a review. I really appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to share your experience with others. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this visit, I have discussed your concerns with the appropriate employees, and I can assure you that these issues won't occur again. Best regards!