On arrival the front desk staff weren't the most friendly and helpful. On speaking Spanish to the girl She continued to speak to me in English. Then a surreal experience where the girl refused to let me see my bill? Then directed to another desk for our "welcome pack" ah great, free gifts vouchers etc....the welcome pack is nothing more than brochures and flyers for attractions and excursions, of course these aren't free! At least the boy on concierge was helpful in ordering me some flowers. (and the flowers were amazing) After trying to tell them this was a surprise and not talk about these when my girlfriend came back, which was comical trying to explain.
The room was dated but nice all the same, and location and view were great. The first day there was water, beer and soft drinks in the fridge. The second day there was nothing but "premium" water which came with a price tag. The sink had remnants from the previous guests but the shower was great along with the rest of the amenities in the room. The WIFI isn't free, 60 USD for the week. This was useless in the room, no service on 2 devices, it did work by the pool though with no problems. The force from the sea waves caused the windows to rattle all night long, a piece of paper jammed in done the trick. After 6 nights my back was suffering with the mattress. We never had to use the air con once in 6 nights as the room was pretty fresh.
The construction work is not disclosed on the site that I booked on, this is a great alarm clock at 8am. Although it did wake me up every morning, the noise just seemed to blend into the background during the day, but for some this would be a big problem trying to relax.
I've stayed on this beach before and I knew the sea was off limits, but this is not disclosed on websites, as well as the previous hotel I stayed at.
The pool areas are great, one lively and noisy with a swim up bar, a jacuzzi and a hidden gem of a pool further back which is almost unoccupied but the service at this pool is very slow.
The food by the pools is excellent, only one exception the Yucatan Ceviche should be renamed Yucatan cebolla. The Sushi is also amazing.
The restaurant on a night time is also good, although some people might have to wait to be seated. Many reviews claim to wait a long time for food, we never had a huge problem with this. One thing is strange is the all inclusive from a menu and having to sign a check??? I've never heard of this in an all inclusive resort. It also makes You feel obliged to leave a tip. Some people go all inclusive with only money for a taxi to and from the airport.
The fact the all inclusive is ordered from a menu, some people were ordering 3 meals for one person and then leaving most of it.
Speaking Spanish and getting replies in English was very rude, but after they got to know us the communication was in Spanish
There is Solmar fishing charter based at the hotel, on reading about Solmar they have one of the best fleets in Cabo San Lucas. We took a trip on a small boat the Don Pepe, the price was good. I've fished here before and had a much better experience with a different firm. The skipper was just trolling around aimlessly, we paid for bait we didn't even use. Towards the end he took us "close in to catch Dorado" I know this area doesn't yield Dorado, it's an area with lots of small fish to keep You happy. We caught a handful of smaller fish up to maybe 5LB. At the end of the trip the skipper finally spoke, " here's a brochure to have Your fish mounted and we can cook your catch on the dock here" all at a cost of course. He seemed less friendly when I didn't give him a tip immediately, although he did get his tip and then he was happy again.
We took one of our fish back to the hotel for cooking. The restaurant Captain was so helpful and informative with this, and we were served up a fantastic selection of this fish for lunch and dinner.
On the final day a boy came to the room to check whether we used the "premium coffee and water".
The bill arrives which can be misleading showing the safe key and donation fees. When You give the key back this amount is taken of the bill and they ask if You want to make the donation.
This may look like many bad points but the good points of the hotel outweigh these.
My biggest gripes were the all inclusive from a limited menu, having to sign a check and having to pay for food to the room, a strange all inclusive deal. The food was excellent but limited.
I would stay here again, but next time in Cabo San Lucas I'll try somewhere different for another experience.
I think the hotel ranked 64 out of 90 this is probably good evaluation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This intimate Oceanfront Resort is blessed by one of the most enchanting and romantic locations in Baja California. Granite cliffs hide the property from the outside world, yet the sights and sounds of Cabo San Lucas are but a 10 minute stroll away. You can spread your towel on the white sands of Solmar beach and soak up the sun in private comfort, grab a snorkel, a fishing pole or chose from a long list of other activities the Pacific Ocean has to offer, or shop, dine, then dance the night away at one of the many hotspots in Cabo San Lucas. Solmar Resort truly offers the best of both of worlds - unmatched privacy in an extraordinary natural setting. In every sense, it is the most Cabo Resort in Cabo San Lucas. Like all properties in the Solmar Hotel & Resort collection, the Solmar Resort is exclusively suites with kitchen facilities, private balconies, marble floors, granite countertops and fine linens. Solmar Resort offers the option of Bed & Breakfast plan and all inclusive package as well. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Solmar Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Solmar All Inclusive Resort And Beach Club
- Solmar All Inclusive Resort & Beach Club Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Solmar Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Cabo San Lucas Solmar Hotel
- Solmar Cabo San Lucas
- Solmar Resort Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos