“Intimate but a little noisy...for now”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I just spent 6 days (6/15-21/2013) at Solmar. The service and scenery are amazing. They are currently building a new resort next door (Grand Solmar) which makes for a noisy day. From 8am-5pm ish Mon-Sat there is construction noise. If you're a light sleeper, it'll wake you up. my wife never budged...In the room it's faint, but outside it is very noticeable. Despite this, I still think I would go back. I've stayed at two other resorts (Melia and Temptation) and this was the most enjoyable. The beds were great and the food was amazing for an all inclusive. They seem to be able to cater to just about any want or need. Anything you want to eat (whether it's on the menu or not) they'll make it for you. The poolside sushi bar is actually awesome (was a bit suspicious at first). Again, the service was top notch. Every waiter was extremely friendly.
This was a much smaller resort than we expected. The last 2 resorts we visited had bigger pools that got much more crowded during the day. Solmar never seemed crowded and the overall stay seemed much more relaxing. If you're expecting a lot of daily activities at the pool (water volleyball, dancing, etc..) then Solmar isn't the place. There aren't enough people for that. It is a very low key place that is great for a couple looking to really just spend time together.
The beach is very private (never saw more than a handful of people and a few locals skim boarders) and the water is a little calmer here than on the Sea of Cortez side. You can actually get your feet wet without being swept away to an almost certain death.

The restaurant managers, Ernesto (day) and Edson (night) were probably the two most accommodating and friendly people I've ever met at a resort. I don't think "no" is in their vocabulary. They made our experience amazing!

We Loved Solmar!

P.S. Eat at a restaurant called Mona Lisa at least once (Hwy 1, about 3.5 miles north of San Lucas on the corridor, right hand side). Most romantic place ever!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear customer from San Antonio, Texas;
We appreciate very much your kindly comments. We are delighted to know you have enjoyed your vacation and the customer services from our personnel; Please do not wait too long to come back and letting us pamper you as you deserve. Warm regards!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,868)

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This review is for the Solmar Hotel a very antiquated place which you would love if you like old. Not much has changed here over the last 20 years with minor exceptions. The staff is wonderful but the hotel, according to rumors is about to be torn down. It is an eyesore when compared to neighboring resorts, Lands Ending and Playa Grande. Outside of the nice staff, the only good thing about this hotel resort is the availability of Playa Grande. which is a premier resort so we took advantage of their amenitie. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Avoid if at all possible unless you like old and dilapadated.
1  Thank Pablo S
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear customer from Lakewood, Colorado;
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with others. I am sorry that we have not met your expectations on this visit. I understand that our authentic Mexican style is not to everyone's liking. I'm glad to read you have enjoyed some positive aspect from us as the customer service, sleep quality and cleanliness. Thank you again for your visit. Best regards!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband got us and a another couple an all inclusive deal from living social. When we got there we found out that this did not include premium alcohol like patron, etc. The food at the all inclusive restaurant was always disappointing and usually undercooked and cold. I always left the meal feeling hungry. The staff were friendly but sometimes the waiters had a hard time communicating with the customers. We didn't want to eat there again so we had to go off the resort and pay to eat at other restaurants so we would get decent food.
The pool area was small and the pool has not been cleaned overnight so it was super cloudy and did not look okay to get in. I did have to go to the tiki bar so I had to go in the pool to get my drinks. The drinks all tasted the same and didn't seem to have any kind of alcohol in them because I never even got a buzz, but rather a headache. There was a nice pool right next to our for their sister resort with an infinity pool but we were not allowed to go over there.
On the third day we were there they ran out of bottled water so I was sitting by the pool getting dehydrated.
Their housekeeping staff was excellent though and never disturbed me once while I was in my room but whenever I got back in the room was always meticulous.

Since I wasted so much money here (tips, plane, deal, etc) for something I didn't enjoy, I would recommend not going even if you got that deal. If your standards for a resort are pretty low then you will probably like it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Amrita K
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear customer from Seattle, Washington;
Thank you so much for posting a review. I really appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to share your experience with others. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this visit, I have discussed your concerns with the appropriate employees, and I can assure you that these issues won't occur again. Best regards!

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We are getting ready to go home after a week here. This is our 3rd trip to Cabo and first time staying here. What a great trip. The resort is small, clean,... Staff is super friendly. Its very old school Mexico and we'd absolutely come back. You have use of larger sister resort next door but we never did that as we were enjoying ourselves here. All inclusive is a great value at only $59/day. Food has been excellent. We ate almost every meal here. breakfast, lunch and dinner were great. fun to have the sushi bar at the pool. Grounds are well taken care of and we've met some fabulous people. The fire pits on the beach at night were fun. We spent most of our days at the pool. Pool bar is great!! It is away from the crazy Medano beach world and no vendors on the beach (!) (although only a walk or cab ride away if thats what you are looking for). A special shout out to some of our favorites on staff... Damian, Raul, Alessandro, Ernesto, Oscar... All great people who made sure our stay exceeded our expectations!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear customer from Corvallis, Oregon;
Thank you very much for your kind comments, we are pleased to read you have enjoyed your vacation and the amenities from the all-inclusive program. Our friendly staff and I appreciate very much your visit. Certainly our location provides you with privacy without be far from down town area. Thank you again for your visit, It will be our pleasure to greet you here again in the short future. Warm regards!!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We just got back after 5 days staying in Los Cabos at the Solmor resort, and we LOVED it!!!! Service was so great! Everyone was so nice, helpful, and friendly. Ernesto, Alejandro, Victor, food runner (person that brought out the food) and all the other guys at the swim bar were so nice!! Rosa our house keeper was extremely friendly and made sure we felt at home. We loved that it was a quiet resort (there was construction but we didn't mind it) and the all inclusive plan. We will be back very soon! Thank you ALL!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear customer from Reseda, CA;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your thoughtful
remarks are very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience. We are glad to read our staff has exceeded your expectations and you have enjoyed your holiday. It will be my pleasure to greet you here again, be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Best regards!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

For an "All inclusive" there was certainly a lot, of extra charges. Complimentary coffee in room was $14.99 USD if you dare open it. Bring your own sugar and cream, it's not provided. Complimentary water and soft drinks, $6.00 each. No robes in rooms, or alcohol in the drinks. That would be considered premium bar and extra fee again. Room service, extra charge for the same menu. Be careful, review your bill. $75 for a lock for the safe in your room. $10 fee for a community donation of some sort, extra fees for water to launder linens, Et cetera.

Employees were not eager to assist, or friendly, but expected tipping. Really? My husband went up to the pool bar to get a pool menu, 5 employees talking, not acknowledging him or others. After 5 minute of waiting, my husband finally asked, can I see a menu for the pool area, their reply was they had to find one, and then they would bring it by. 15 minutes later..... We decided to go into town, for great, friendly service. The feeling that you are imposing on others is not acceptable in the hospitality / hotel industry.

Ernest one of the restaurant captains, was exceptional, friendly, and very accommodating. Always welcoming. He was the only one.

Weekend was quieter than during the week. A lot of construction noise, building the new Solmar resort.

Loved Cabo, will NOT EVER stay at Solmar. I will be sure to tell all my friends and business associates to beware, and choose somewhere else to vacation.

Room Tip: Choose another resort for your stay.
2  Thank Sue L

Dear Ms. Sue L. from Albuquerque, New Mexico;
Thank you so much for posting a review. I really appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to share your experience with others… I offer you an apology due of the extra fees applied to your account I am sure we did not explain them correctly. The donation fee it is voluntary and is deleted at your desire, the usage of safety deposit box is completely free nevertheless there is a deposit which is credited when you return the key, etc. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this visit. I will make sure that your feedback is shared with the rest of the team to ensure we handle things differently in the future. Cordialy Luis A.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The all inclusive plan is simply excellent. The food was wonderful and I can't say enough about the staff. Ernesto (maitre'd) and his staff are genuinely interested in making your meals enjoyable. Housekeeping and grounds staff always had a smile and a "hola" and seemed truly happy to be there. I myself had no problem with the construction but I can sleep thru most any noise. I found the Solmar to be very restful with beautiful views and nice breezes. It isn't what I call a "disco all night party" hotel but a charming older hotel interested in making your trip pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the construction zone.
2  Thank Louise J
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear customer from Lake Havasu City;
We appreciate very much your kind comments, it is gratifying to read that you have enjoyed your vacation, and the service from our cordial staff has contributed to that. It will be my pleasure to greet you here again as our guest. Best regards!