“The Third Time's The Charm!”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Once again, I had my annual Spring vacation at Solmar, and for the third time in a row, had a great time doing some fun and relaxing things. The best part of going back to Solmar is that the staff are always really friendly, and many of them even remember me from my previous visits, and they go out of their way to take the best care of me. The Manager there, Nicte-xa De la Torre, and the Concierge, Kristina Sanchez, were two people who I met back in 2012, and who I have kept in touch with on Facebook since then. Nicte-xa made sure that I even got the same room I had last year, which overlooked the beautiful pool and the ocean beyond it. It was perfect. Kristina helped set me up with my sky tour of Cabo San Lucas, and as usual, everything went perfectly. The resort is clean, quiet, and whatever I needed or wanted, it was available to me. The other guests were very friendly, no one was overly loud or obnoxious...everyone was just there to have fun and relax. It was Spring Break for the college crowd, and St. Patrick's Day fell in my week as well, so the town was full of fun, and the atmosphere at Solmar was relaxing and calm. A perfect balance for my vacation.
The food was good, the housekeeping staff were always on point, and I have to say again that having some real friends there as well make the stay so much better. Everyone there made me feel like I was back home...in fact, Nicte-xa always calls Solmar and Cabo my "home away from home", and she's right! I'm already looking forward to seeing everyone again next year...I'm a permanent fan of Solmar...muchas gracias to all my friends there ;-)

Room Tip: Let Nicte-xa choose the perfect location for your room based on what you tell her you are looking fo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank JonnyTequila
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear customer from White Plains, New York;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your thoughtful remarks are very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience. I am glad to know our personnel has walked the extra mile to exceed your expectations. Please do not wait too much to comeback it will be our pleasure to greet you here again. Sincerely yours. Luis Alvarez Resident Manager.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I are the adventuresome sort so Solmar wasn't really a good fit. It's more for the sort that go to shopping malls and seek out the corporate eateries of home while on vacation. Still, it's clean, safe, comfortable, etc. Biggest negative is that you are hit with the time share pitch immediately. Wasn't really expecting it but if it has to be, at least let us experience the place first. Next big ding is temporary in that there is construction of a more upscale resort going on right next door. I swear we were put into one of the rooms closest to the construction because of our lack of interest in the time share aspect. Finally, the entire resort is on a hill and a relatively long walk from the beach across soft sand. Not good things for my bad hip and knee. Shouldn't be a problem for the physically fit.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BigCabDaddy
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear customer from Fort Collins, Colorado
I really appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to share your experience with others. I would like offer you an apology due of the construction conditions you manifest. By the other side we are glad you enjoy the cleanliness, safety, comfort and the secluded location of the Resort. Once again I appreciate your visit and hope to have the chance to greet you here when you be in Cabo. Cordially; Luis Alvarez Resident Manager

Reviewed April 9, 2013

If you want a very safe, quiet, predictable vacation with little local color, this is the place for you. I chose it because it was my first Mexican vacation and I wanted to play it safe. But it was apart from the hub bub of downtown Cabo, a ten minute hilly walk. The food was ok and the staff were very nice, but next time I would skip the all-inclusive and eat on my own downtown. It was very inexpensive and clean, but there was construction going on that was annoyingly loud all day. There was very little in terms of truly swimmable beaches in Cabo in general, and the beach front of this property was not at all swimmable due to fierce undertow. We had a great time, but I would do it differently next time. Also, after a long day of travel and navigating the gauntlet of timeshare offers in the airport, I really didn't want to deal with yet another timeshare offer immediately upon checking in to Solmar. Maybe that's normal, but I'd rather get my bearings first.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade close to the restaurant. If you don't, you'll get assigned one of th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Galemm

Dear customer from Fort Collins, Colorado;
Thank you for considering our safety conditions for your first visit to Mexico, we are glad to read you had a great time with us. Certainly our secluded location allows our guests to enjoy peace and tranquility in addition to spectacular views of the Pacific ocean without being far away from downtown Cabo. Thank you again for your visit, it will be my pleasure to greet you here while you be in Cabo.
Sincerely yours.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to the Solmar resort for Spring Break. The staff was extremely friendly. Two of the waiters in particular- Alejandro Millan and Oscar Rayo were particularly helpful. The hotel was clean. I would definitely come back again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CameronI942

Dear customer from Colorado Springs, Colorado;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and the customer services from our personnel have contributed to that. it will be our pleasure to welcoming you again and provide an even better experience. Sincerely yours

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I thought the resort was nice and clean. The suite we rented (2171) was very spacious. It included 2 bathrooms, 2 patios, kicthen and living room. I wasn't too thrilled about the decor. I would have preferred something a little more modern. However, it was nice and comfy. The construction noise from our suite wasn't a problem. We traveled with our 16 month old and it didn't prevent her from enjoying her nap time. The construction work is complete no later than 6pm. The real problem we had were the waves crashing on the beach at night. The force from the waves crashing on the beach caused our patio doors to rattle. And our room was at least 65 yards from the beach. When my wife wasn't gon off that patron, she had a hard time falling to sleep because of the rattling. The noise didn't bother me. I slept like a baby.

The food at Solmar is excellent!!!!! Nuff said....

The beaches in Cabo are NOT SWIMMABLE period! I found that unblievable with so much coastline. But the waves are CRAZY. I live in San Diego and have never seen waves that big. Cabo only have two swimmable beaches. Pelican Beach and the one close to the marina. A water taxi to Pelican Beach should run about 7-$10. The scenery there is nice. Its a public beach so you do have people trying to sell you things. Just say, "No" and they'll go away.

If you're all about location, this is the place! You're within walking distant from everything Cabo has to offer. We traveled with our 16 month old and didn't have any issues getting around. Cabo in general is pretty safe. The people were pretty friedly, especially towards my daughter. I thought that was pretty nice.

If you're young and want excitement, this isn't the place. Solmar is for couple and older people wanting a nice place to relax and kick back. I would definitely recommend Solamr to other travelers. The older decor in the rooms and non swimmable beaches were the only negative. I rate this pace 8/10

Room Tip: Make arrangements from the airport to the hotel prior. Timeshare people aren't that bad. Just...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear customer from San Diego, CA. USA;
Thank you for taking the time to express your experience with others. We are attending your comments regarding the rattle from your glass doors because of the waves in order to guarantee a good sleep quality for your family next time you´ll visit us. Moreover it is satisfactory to know you have enjoyed your vacation, our secluded location, our cuisine and the comfort of your suite. Please do not wait too long to come back and allow us to pamper you as you deserve. Warm greetings!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently returned from a 4 night stay at the Solmar Resort. We chose this hotel because we were traveling with a larger group and wanted to stay with everyone. We normally stay at the neighboring (same owner) property the Playa Grande.

Many of the reviews I read were accurate and gave me a good description beforehand of the property. Yes there is construction and yes the bathrooms are a bit dated but everything else about the hotel was great. It had the same high quality service we are used to at the Playa Grande, drinks and food were quick and good, service with a smile and no issues.

We went for the all-inclusive package and we're happy we did! We tend not to like all-inclusives because of the buffet style blah food but Solmar's is a-la-carte all inclusive so yes, you do sign for everything but it doesn't matter - it's just to keep track of the food and drinks they "sell". Not everyone is all-inclusive so the food and drink quality are much better. The breakfasts were excellent with fruit, juice and coffee ready to go and a full menu of options made to order. The staff were always ready to accomodate any need and even good with food allergies. We ordered both sushi and off the regular menu poolside for lunch and everything was very good - shrimp tacos, burgers, awesome guacamole, tuna hand rolls, nachos all very good. Drinks were fast and "regular bar" strong not watered down by any means. We mostly drank beer & margaritas so we weren't as concerned about top shelf this trip. We ate out almost every night and between breakfasts, lunch, snacks and poolside afternoon drinks we did not feel like we missed out and got our money's worth with the all-inclusive and we're not huge drinkers - it just adds up.

As for the construction noise, it was minimal and the back side of the property. We played golf everyday and were up before the construction noise started anyway so it didn't bother us in the slightest.

This place is very charming, sweet and a good value. It reminds me a lot of the old Cabo I knew when there were no traffic lights and mostly dirt roads. There are rumours they may either tear it down or remodel and I would certainly vote to remodel the rooms (bathrooms in particular) but the place has good bones and I'd hate to see it torn down - not everybody likes a massive property - if I wanted that I would stay out on the corridor.

I should add - there were no time share pitches to us at the hotel - just a welcome with a brochure - which was pleasant for a change. For whatever reason in this time in Cabo, the time share pitches outside are hotel were in full force - it's almost like the mid-2000's again - every corner, every turn. We were pitched to at dinner (Soloman's) on the street of course at golf courses (both Cabo Real and Campestre) at the rental car agency (Hertz) - it was pretty crazy. It gets to the point where you think every conversation with a local could turn into a time share pitch. I'm glad that Solmar is taking the soft approach - if I were ever in the market they are the only ones I would consider buying from... They recognize that good, respectful customer service is it's own selling point - and it;s what keep bringing us back to their resorts.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up floor for better views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank SunSeekerMA

Dear customer from Boston, Massachusetts;
We appreciate very much your kindly comments; it is our pleasure to know you have enjoyed your vacations and the service received it was according to your expectations as well as the resort conditions and the all-inclusive amenities. It will be our pleasure to welcoming you again as our guest in the short future; we will take the utmost care to make sure you are accommodated in everything you desire. Best regards!!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I’m not sure where to begin but let me give you the conclusion first: The Solmar is an absolutely positively WONDERFUL place to stay – the staff incredibly kind and magnificent (they become family), the location THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE in all of Cabo (maybe on earth!), and the VERY BEST FOOD and service ever! I loved it and actually cried when leaving!

FOOD

The restaurant Tejaban is brilliant. The food is fresh, abundant, interesting, well presented and DELICIOUSLY spectacular!

The sushi from Sushi Factory is also truly wonderful. You can eat at Sushi Factory and/or by the pool.

There is another snack bar there – but amazingly…I didn’t get it to it; I’m sure it too must be great.

For all-inclusive, you get one meal at the Puerto San Lucas. Best Caesar salad EVER! The food was very good. The service nowhere near as good on any level as the service in the Solmar restaurant. Puerto San Lucas in Playa Grande.

ENTERTAINMENT

Sandra, the Activities Coordinator (for pool, beach and fiestas in the restaurant), is THE BEST! She is warm, wonderful, kind, fun, creative, smart and has a smile that would melt an Ice Queen! Sandra was at the top of my highlights list --- and my trip had a lot of highlights! If all resorts had someone like Sandra at the entertainment helm…no one on earth would go home bored or feeling neglected!

ROOMS

Beautiful and wonderfully, authentically Mexican – not to mention comfortable! I loved my room, the balconies, the bed, the bathrooms, the kitchen, the dining room, living room, the art, the closet, the EVERYTHING! I particularly love that it beautifully represents Mexico. It has not been Americanized, except to say that you can ‘plug and play’. You don’t need any adapters at all.

BATHROOMS

Beautiful and spacious. Each bathroom has a shower cap, sewing kit, body lotion, a conditioning shampoo (not a separate conditioner), soap and of course ample towels, washcloths, hand towels, floor and shower mats.

KITCHEN

Comes with coffee, utensils, pots/pans, paper towels, dish towel, bottled water , refrigerator, microwave – and for first day – beer and sodas too.

VIEW/LOCATION

I cannot possibly enough about the PERFECT location and SPECTACULAR view --- whether from your balcony, the restaurant, the pool – almost anywhere in the hotel. And to sit on my balcony and/or to eat breakfast in the restaurant and SEE WHALES EVERY DAY – is overwhelming. It was truly amazing – just GLORIOUS!

You are also a 10 minute walk to the Marina --- lots of shops, bars, restaurants, boat trips, etc. Downtown is about 20 minute walk, though pathetically enough…I never got downtown! I enjoyed the hotel so much and the relaxation that comes with it – I almost never left (or needed to leave) the premises.

THE STAFF

In a word…PERFECT. The management (Luis and Enrique---re: the latter…I may have that name wrong – my name-memory is awful), activities coordinator (Sandra – as previously mentioned) front office staff (Nicte-Xa and her colleagues), the pool wait staff (Vincente and all of the others), shuttle driver (Orlando), restaurant managers (Tomas and Ernesto), restaurant wait staff (Alejandro, Daniel, Raul – and seriously --- and again…all of the others – I just can’t remember all of the names!), the cleaning and maintenance crew --- EVERYONE at Solmar is MAGNIFICENT! Everyone is friendly, accommodating, communicative, fun and will do anything/everything to ensure that your stay is PERFECT. I’ve never stayed anywhere where staff is better – NEVER. And I have traveled the world – traveling (and event planning) is my thing --- so I can honestly say bar none – Solmar has the VERY BEST in staff. If I haven’t mentioned a name, I can assure it – it wasn’t because the person wasn’t wonderful or that they weren’t memorable; trust me – I am AWFUL with names. But I do want to say again – there is no staff anywhere in the world like the Solmar staff.

DRINKS

For food and drinks – I am commenting on all inclusive; I’m not sure what you may have access to when you pay. House white wine and red wine are both decent; I live in California and even I would drink the wine at Solmar! The Mudslides, Funky Monkey’s and all of the creamy, lovely and fattening drinks are GREAT!! They even have sparkling wine for mimosas – LOVE THAT! And Bailey’s for your morning coffee – BRILLIANT! And of course you can get every time of booze there is as well as decaf or regular coffee (in addition to coffee makers and coffee in your room if you are so inclined to make it yourself.)

BEACH

Absolutely positively beautiful. The sand, the water, the waves, the palapas and comfortable chairs – and again – the location is GORGEOUS! I’ve never been any place prettier. Though you can’t swim in the beach – the waves are big and wild – who cares. You can lay on the beach, walk on the beach, drink or eat on the beach --- and if you want to dip – you can certainly go to the water’s edge and dip in or swim in the beautiful pool.

POOL

Way ample and comfortable chairs surrounding a pretty pool with a swim up (or walk up) pool bar. The food and drink service at the pool is AMAZING and EFFICIENT. You are given plenty of beach/pool towels in your room, which you take with you and bring back end of day so that you get fresh ones next day.

GYM

Because the Solmar is somewhat under construction – I believe is going to be built into the Grand Solmar – the gym is in the sister property Playa Grande. The gym is great. Plenty of equipment, CNN on the TV’s, water, towels, etc. It’s better than my gym at home in SF!

FYI’s

When you walk into the lobby, your heart might sink a little. The lobby is wholly unimpressive. But I can assure you, not only does that not matter – is it NOT a reflection of the BEAUTIFULLY STUNNING resort, it is functional – gets the job done – gives you what you need – easy/fast check in, efficiently run front desk (money exchange, etc.), concierge, etc., etc. It is small and old (under renovation of what I believe will be parlayed into the Grand Solmar eventually) – but again – the staff and efficiency is wonderful. Don’t let the unimpressive look of the lobby deter you or be reflective of the gorgeous resort in anyway.

Everything is clean and beautiful.

There are a lot of birds – a lot – especially at the restaurant. Not a problem for me – but for those with Hitchock-like bird phobias – beware!

People love to walk over the huge rock formations and head from our hotel to Medano Beach. Frankly, I thought it was a treacherous dangerous walk (even though I did it!); and I couldn’t wait to get back to our hotel beach! Medano is crowded/jam packed and nowhere near as pretty as Solmar’s beach. It is swimmable – but it’s so damn crowded – it’s not worth it. Plus lots of vendors harassing you.

You will never be harassed by vendors on the beach or at the pool at the Solmar. It is private/secluded in the good way! (You will have to deal with timeshare folks IF you say “yes” to a presentation.)

You do have to sign for everything you consume with the All Inclusive, but I didn’t find this the slightest bother. It is NOT a problem at all; and in fact…it’s good to see what you are actually consuming!

I believe you should tip all waiters, the maid, the activities coordinator --- really --- you need to tip anyone who helps you. They are working their butts off to make your holidays enjoyable – and they are doing a damn good job – so I think tipping is a must.

Personally – doing the timeshare wasn’t worthy. What was supposed to be 90 minutes was 3 hours for me. THREE HOURS! And what I got for “free” (using the term “free” loosely) didn’t make up for it. I wouldn’t recommend it, though I will say that the Solmar properties are magnificent.

I think whether you are alone or in a group that walking to Marina and/or downtown is a must-do. It’s safe, close, easy and nice. I probably would, however, recommend the $6 taxi back if you are walking at night solo.

Solmar is very quiet, very relaxing – it isn’t a happening scene. People awake early and go to sleep early. The restaurant, where you can get both food and drink, closes at 10pm.
The TV in the room is GREAT! Free movie channels and lots of other channels. This is a good thing because the resort pretty much goes to sleep by 10pm – so the TV keeps you company!
I think the Playa Grande is nowhere near as authentically beautiful and certainly nowhere near as intimate and personal as the Solmar, though it is lovely. I just prefer Solmar for it personal service.

The Grand Solmar, I must admit, is breathtakingly beautiful. It is expensive and still under construction. You will hear the construction – but it is NO big deal AT ALL.

THE ONE BAD THING

Please keep in mind that I’m giving this resort the highest rating possible; and I stand behind it. I *love* the Solmar. In fact, I’m planning on a return trip in December. (I went in March to belated celebrate my 50th birthday – had to wait for my Xmas bonus to pay for it but am planning to go for my 51st birthday this December!) Anyway – back to point…the one “con” is that there is no bar/central location for socializing. None. You can swim up to the pool bar – but there’s no one location where people go to gather, drink, meet, interact comfortably. The issue about this, though somewhat obvious, really is impactful for the solo traveler (me.) Since mostly couples stay at Solmar, for a solo traveler it is very very difficult to meet other people vacationing as there’s no central location/watering hold (again – like a sit down bar) to do so. I think it’s really important to have a place where people can meet/can exchange conversation --- a central location (whether a bar with a pool table, ping pong table, during a bingo game, whatever ) --- there needs to be a way to force the hand of the guests to interact with other guests. Otherwise, people are like roaches when the lights go on – they scatter – don’t/won’t connect. Sandra does a very good job in gathering people for activities by the pool/at beach – and you do get to meet a few guests that way --- but without an interactive location (again – like a bar) – it’s incredibly difficult to meet others. And I have to mention that as a single woman – even more difficult – and that’s for someone (me) who is VERY happy to meet/hang with couples or other singles. This was wildly problematic for me but will not prevent me from going back to the Solmar.

TIPS FOR SOLO TRAVELER

Participate in pool activities – it is pretty much the only way to meet people at Solmar.

It is OK to walk alone to other Solmar properties, to the Marina or to downtown --- as long as it’s daylight. Shuttle to Playa Grande at night and if you are walking solo to Marina or downtown, $6 taxi for nighttime (in the dark).

You might want to sign up for outside resort activities to meet other folks (e.g. ATV, booze cruise, etc.) Since meeting people at the resort can be challenging in that there isn’t a bar per se – there’s no gathering spot – you will have to work hard to interact.

SPECIAL THANK YOU’S!

I know I’ve said it all over the place – but I need to say it again --- my vacation was MADE EXTRAORDINARY by Managers Luis and Enrique (I think Enrique is his name – but now I’m having short-term memory loss!), Nicte-Xa, waiters Daniel, Alejandro, managers Ernesto and Tomas, and Activities Guru Extraordinaire Sandra.

Thank you all most sincerely, with all of my gratitude and appreciation for your company, your kindness your accommodation.

Last but not least – I am overwhelmingly grateful and humbled by the room upgrade, the chocolate covered strawberries and champagne upon arrival, the happy birthday message, and for my last night’s dessert and special note in my room. For every huge and every small thing – THANK YOU ALL so very much --- from the bottom of my heart. I am incredibly and forever appreciative… And I very much look forward to seeing all of you again this December!

Room Tip: I had room 2234, which I *loved*! When I return in December - I plan to ask for the same room - it w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank wineing
luis a, General Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear customer from San Francisco, California;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your kindly comments are gladly appreciated by our cordial staff. Really nothing makes us happier than knowing you have had a memorable vacation. Thank you for your suggestions we´ll keeps them in mind. I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon. Be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you're accommodated in everything you desire. Wishing you good health and many happy moments, I remain.
Most cordially, Luis A.