“Great stay - would recommend”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Had a wonderful stay at Solmar Beach. The rooms were very spacious and both the rooms and the grounds are well kept. The staff is friendly and helpful. The resort is older and a little outdated compared to the new mega or luxury resorts but the size makes it really convenient and accessible to be at the pool and/or go back to our room. We had a view of the ocean from our room and Solmars private beach is beautiful and very nice to watch the waves. For a day of swimming and playing we took a water taxi from the Marina to Medona beach which was very entertaining and fun but the quietness of Solmar is very relaxing.

We chose not to do the inclusive because we enjoyed eating on our patio for breakfast, sharing a sandwich poolside and then going into town in the evening. We easily walked to town but sometimes took a $5 taxi back after dinner or dancing. The food we did have on property was good and reasonably priced. A market is within easy walking distance for small items or if you prefer you can taxi or drive to larger grocery store. For those that prefer the all inclusive I understand that they have an option to purchase a 'two-day' only all inclusive which is a really great way to get the best of both worlds.

The Grand Solmar "next door' was open but there is still construction which can be viewed and heard from Solmar. Sometimes that was distracting and other times interesting to watch. The best part of the new resort is that it is basically on the same property andwe were welcomed with open arms. We enjoyed the higher end luxury Grand Solmar and their other sister property Playa Grand next door. Staff was welcoming and there was no issue with us enjoying those pools or amenities. You can even charge back to your room at Solmar and take the short shuttle to/from Playa Grand. It was nice to have the variety with the three properties so close to each other.

I have done the 'timeshare presentations' before and find my time and relaxation is worth more then the freebie you get for the hassle so I recommend just saying a firm 'NO' upfront and they will leave you alone. It is easy to find discounts on excursions without wasting a few aggravating hours to get it for 'free'.

We enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Powertravels
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear customer from Washington;

On behalf of Solmar Resort, we thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and service of our staff.
certainly the sea views from the hotel are charming from the incredible sunrises to sunsets and the closeness to down town without losing privacy is very convenient.

Thanks again for your visit, hope to see you soon again!

cordially

Write a ReviewReviews (1,819)

Reviewed August 14, 2012

High pressure timeshare sales--won't give you your key until you sit with Vanessa for 15 minutes saying No.
Then it isn't all inclusive. Anything not a beer or well drink is extra. Certain foods--not labeled and extra. Room service--extra. You can't even get a water unless you are the restaurant or pool--and don't try to leave with it.
They also charge you for their "charity" and then don't take it off when you ask them too. They count on you not asking of not calling back when they didn't do it! Scam!!
Only one restaurant, and it is next to the construction. Construction is 7-7, and six days a week. If you read reviews saying it isn't bothersome, they are probably written by the staff. You can read the reviews and tell that some are clearly bogus. (and the staff told us when we mentioned the reviews. At least the waiters were honest and apologetic)
Other reviews that sounds good were people that were sent to sister properties during the renovation. If it says infinity pool or tower, that is next door. Don't fall for the bait and switch.

A few really nice staff members, but that doesn't make up for the the dishonest situation.

You don't want to stay at Solmar---there are way better places to stay!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here---! Run away! Ocean view means you can see the ocean in the distance when you s...
14  Thank bea s
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Bea S. from San Diego, California;

First of all I would like to thank you for express your opinion regarding your stay at Solmar.

I would like to offer you an apology due to the attitude you have experienced by the hostess of time share, measures has been taken about it. The charge for the Charity foundation, it is completely optional and voluntary. If you have any question on your hotel bill it will be my pleasure to assist you with.

I am sharing your comments with my food and beverage manager so he will insure the service will be provided according with the standards and descriptions when customers hire a service.

By the other side I am glad you have experienced a good customer services from our staff.

Thank you again for your time and feedback. We would be honored to have your visit once again, and allow us to provide you an even better experience at Solmar Resort.

Sincerely yours.

Luis Alvarez
Resident Manager

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Upon check out you have the option to donate $10 USD to mercy charity. I declined that option and a week after checking out there was a $10 USD charge to my card then a $10 credit from mercy charitable, the same thing happened a day later. I contacted my credit card company and there were also pending charges that did not come from me, cancelled the card. As for the property... It is worn out, besides the pizza and sushi the food is mediocre at best. The pool is too warm.

4  Thank wishyouwerehere2004
luis a, Manager at Solmar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Customer from Sacramento, California;

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion about your stay at Solmar Resort.

I am very concerned about your report. Our staff is not authorized to charge your credit card without your express authorization and your signature on your voucher. I am gladly at your service for any clarification in this regard.

As valued customer your opinions are of great importance to us. We use this feedback as an integral part of our evaluation and quality improvement cycles.

If you have any questions or any further comments, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely yours.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Let me start of by saying this is one of the best vacations i've had and I travel alot. I found this all inclusive resort from a Living Social Coupon. I decided to read the reviews after I purchased the deal, I was a bit nervous because there were some reviewers that were unhappy saying the hotels were a bit dated and there's annoying construction etc...Honestly, you can't listen to everyone's opinion regarding anything, you must try it for yourself then draw your own conclusion, because I had an excellent time.

Hotel Room: The rooms were GREAT. I have no idea why people are giving negative reviews about the rooms. My bf and I got a free room upgrade on the second floor, facing the beach and overlooking the pool and restaurant- two bathrooms with a jacuzzi, two balconies, living room, dining and kitchen, fridge, microwave..I mean I had any and everything I needed and the room was gorgeous. At nights I can hear the waves crashing on the beach, it's very soothing.

Hotel Grounds: Very well maintained, we got back to our hotel around 1am after hanging out around town and there were workers cleaning and tending to the pool area. The hotel has a small pool with a swim up bar and a hot tub right next to it. 400 yards away is the beach which is beautiful (although you cannot swim there since the tide is really strong). In addition, there are 4 hammocks on the beach.

Timeshare presentation: At check-in they have a section where they lead you to sign up for timeshare presentations, they give you 50% off activities. I don't recommend this; we were told it will only last 90mins. I had to get really mad and annoyed because after we refused the time share deal, they brought like two other people to try and convince us to buy, they had us there for 3 1/2 hours and we wanted to get on with our vacation, by the time I firmly told them no I just want to go, half the day was gone and a lot of the activities were booked out, so needless to say we lost a day of fun. Not to mention, we tried using our timeshare deal for the ATV activities and we only received a 30% off, when we questioned it they said oh its "up to 50% off" which is not what we were told. So, it's not worth doing the timeshare unless they activity is for free.

Food & Service: Excellent! There was no need to eat anywhere else, the food was delicious. Although it's all inclusive, at the end of every meal you have to sign a bill. PS the hotel manager Tomas is awesome, very respectful and always checks in to make sure things were going well.

Nightlife: Two places I recommend are Cabo Wabo and Squid Roe (a must see). If you are looking for a good time (party wise) you will not be disappointed. The hotel is a 15-20 minute walk to the marina which is where all the clubs and activities spots are located. And it is a safe area to walk, so don't worry. No danger here, just people having a good time.

In the end, I had an excellent time; no complaints at all besides the annoying timeshare reps (which as I said before, don't waste your time). Mexico is extremely hot, so we did one activity during the day and waited for the evening when it was cooler. I was told the last time they had real rain was in 2001. It's like a desert there.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor, It provides a great view of the beach. If you go during whale season...
3  Thank Classified_Info

Dear Customer from New York City;

Warm greetings from Cabo! Finally after some dry years we had a couple of showers. Weather is just nice after that!

Thank you very much for expressing your comments regarding your stay at Solmar, we appreciate very much you have trusted in us and has given us the opportunity to serve you.

We can certainly stand out from Solmar the private location near the sea where you can enjoy spectacular views and incredible sunsets and the proximity to the city without losing privacy.

I am glad to know you found your room comfortable and spacious. This summer we are working to improve them; we have given the task of re decorate, change televisions and other equipment and to improve our pool near the restaurant.

The Food and Beverage staff is sending you warm greetings!

We are pleased to know that we have covered your service expectations. Thanks again for placing your trust in us. We are looking forward to serve you again.

Sincerely

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I planned our 7th wedding anniversary for my husband and I for August 1-8, 2012 in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, at the Solmar (All-Inclusive) Resort. The flight from Denver, Colorado, went really well on Frontier Airlines. Flight F9-F77 was smooth as glass and the movie was just great! Reserving the flight through Frontier went very smooth. Once we arrived in Cabo we had the usual back up with the immigration of course. However, once we received our rental car and drove the 23 miles to our Resort, we fell in love with the Resort itself. It was beautiful as we climbed up the hill to the top where we pulled in front of the car valet. As they pulled out our suitcases front the trunk and backseat, we were just in awe from what we saw! We were guided to the Conciere's desk for check-in and directed to our Suite, which by the way was up-graded from a Junior Suite to a Studio with more amenities to include a King Sized Bed among other items. It was a 100 sq meter room versus a 56 sq meter room. We had an Ocean-View room with a furnished balcony, a furnished kitchen, a large bathroom, a livingroom with a sofa-bed and a television with various English channels and several HBO and Cinemax channels. Free wireless internet is also included, plus a safe and complimentary newspapers and a phone.

There was only one problem we encountered while we were there. There was a smoke alarm that kept on beeping in the dining room and we kept telling them about this but no one ever took care of the problem the whole time we were there for the 8 days.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are good because the sun comes up from the east and the mountains are high...
1  Thank zorro5749
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I planned our wedding through the resort and it was fabulous. The event planner was wonderful and everything turned out perfect. We had 10 rooms booked at the all inclusive for the week and the rooms were roomy, clean and very cute. The staff at the resort were very helpful particularly the ones at the front desk. The food and the service were really good. We would definitely go back to this resort, we were in a beautiful place and it was very affordable.

Cheryl and Steven Pokorny

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pokorny1524

Dear Mr & Ms. Pokorny;

Thank you for choosing Solmar Group to celebrate your wedding!

We are pleased to know everything went according to your wedding plans and you have enjoyed your stay and the service from our personnel.

Thanks again for your patronage we hope to see you again to celebrate your anniversaries!

Congratulations!

p.d. Warm greetings from our front desk manager and her staff.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was a little freaked out by the way I booked my trip, it wasn't the standard email and confirmation I was used to. Upon arrival, I was greeted by the warmest staff. We were upgraded to a huge room with the most amazing view! The older style of the rooms were beautiful and quaint. The walk to town is about 10 mins if you need to go. I've been to Cabo many times, so staying on the resort suited me just fine. The secluded beach was perfection. We did go to a presentation for timeshare, but it was more than worth it is since we got so many activities out of the deal. The 90 mins was a small price to pay. The food is great, the service staff is awesome. I want to come back before they close in (approx 5 years according to our timeshare guy). I will definitely return, before next year. I'd like to that the wonderful staff including,Olga, Cristina, Teresa, Adrian, Jose Luis, and Beto for making our stay as wonderful as it could be. Thank you so much!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple