“Solmar, convenient condos and fabulous beach”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #28 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
northern California
“Solmar, convenient condos and fabulous beach”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I've stayed at the Solmar Beach Club every year for the last 7. I chose it for the small, not huge hotel type layout. The large fancy construction of Grand Solmar is starting to encroach on the more authentic Mexican feeling and I am starting to see the crane and construction from my condo,instead of the beautiful hills.
The beach with the rocks is so beautiful and quiet without vendors to hassle and hustle you.
Personnel is very friendly and helpful and everything is spotlessly clean.
I understand the 'old' Solmar will be gone in 7 years and replaced by the usual fancy monstrosities, like Playa Grande and Grand Solmar.
ThenI will with regret leave that beach and look for smaller places.

Room Tip: ask for ocean view and far away from construction
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2011

The Solmar Beach Club is like your home away from home with that authentic old style mexico flavor. We love the staff, they are the best. They bend over backwards to make your stay the very best for you & your guests. The location of the hotel is the ultimate in beauty, Land's End. The view is awesome!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Galloway, New Jersey
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Solmar from 10/8 to 10/15 in our timeshare studio suite (2392, in building K). The food at both the Tejaban and Trebol was very good and everything was cooked to order. However, for the most part, we ate our meals from what we purchased at Walmart (about a $10 taxi ride). We also purchased beer, wine, and liquor from Walmart – enough to hold us over for the week. This way we could control what we ate and drank, all at a very reasonable price. All the staff were amazing and the resort was very clean. Our suite was somewhat outdated (furniture, appliances, and decor), however very spacious and adequate. The walk into town/marina (many restaurants and bars to choose from) wasn’t bad at all, only about 10-15 minutes, nor was the walk to Lovers Beach which was only about 15 to 20 minutes (climbing the rocks was not difficult at all, it looks harder than it is – I’d advise not doing it barefoot or in flip-flops). The beach in front of the Solmar is not swimmable, the waves are huge and the current is very strong…that’s why we walked to Lovers Beach several times (you could also take a water-taxi from the Marina). Solmar guests are able to use the Playa Grande Resort amenities, which is only about a 5 minute walk down the beach. Don’t plan to watch too much TV because there were only about 6 channels. The Solmar was very nice and we will definitely return to the resort and to Cabo itself.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jerseyboy99
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I just returned from a 2 week stay at Solmar. I have been traveling there for 11 years. This was my last time. First it took over 2 hours to get me to a room, then it wasn't the room I paid for. There was no view except that of a cactus. Then they moved me to a room with a view of the ocean if you stretched your neck. The construction of the new "Grand" Solmar has totally obstructed the view from Solmar. I believe that eventually the old Solmar will be totally gone. Anyway, the room I was finally moved to had very little air conditioning, but I dealt with it. The next problem was cashing an American Express travelers check. The checks I had, had gotten wet and then dry. They would not cash them. You can imagine how horrible this was. I eventually was able to find a bank that had no problem taking them. I wanted to use the internet and they charge $8.50 per day and you may or may not have access in your room. The food is terribly expensive now. A hamburger is around $15.00. You can get the same thing at Tanga Tanga in town for $4.50. What a change in the all around atmosphere. The new help at the front desk continually had to say "let me check". Linda is still there, but very seldom at the front desk. Once again, I was very disappointed and bummed. My old Solmar will never be the same.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Deb V
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 12, 2011

When staying at Sol Mar, you will have a nice experience if you keep your expectations in check, especially now that the first class Lands End hotel has gone up next door. The finest attraction of Sol Mar is the proximity to the Pacific Ocean-there is nothing that compares to thunderous waves that are crashing on a beach that is about 100 yards from your room. (Be forewarned-you are not allowed to swim in the Pacific due to the powerful undertow.) The only downside to Sol Mar is that the last time the rooms were modern was about 1986. Not to say that they are dirty or broken down, let's just say they are a bit rustic. On the positive side, the service is great and everyone is very helpful. The other great thing is that Sol Mar is only a ten minute walk to the Marina where you can find many great restaurants and other attractions, such as swimming with dolphins.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
South Gate, California
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This hotel is a very nice and cozy hotel to stay at. During our stay we visited Playa Grande Resort but we ultimately prefer to go back to Solmar Suites because the people there get to know you during your stay and are always there to help you. We paid for the All-Inclusive package and were able to eat and drink as much as we wanted. The workers there are very patient,understanding and especially friendly with all their visitors. Ever since you stepped out of the car you could feel the warmth of the workers there. Our tips were included in the package price but since the workers were so considerate with us we would always leave at least $5 to the bartender or waiter. Everyone there was very nice to us but especially the bartenders Felipe and Gonzalo, the receptionist Javiera, and the night shift waiters at the restaurant. All other hotels might be bigger and offer more luxury but there is no point to go around a gigantic hotel where nobody can even become familiar with your face, after seeing hundreds of faces a day. Solmar is ultimately the best choice my family and I made.

Room Tip: The view from the Balconies all have a wonderful view of the sea. Most/all rooms have a minibar or k...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephanie S
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I just traveled there and got back a few days ago...I am a solo girl who was not necessarily looking for the "spring break" scene offered on the medano beach (which is still a short distance by water taxi) and was very happy with what I got. The hotel might not be as luxurious as its neighbouring (and same owners) Grand Solmar and Playa Grande but it has a more authentic feel to it. The rooms were clean, well air-conditionned and spacious. The food was delicious and varied and I consider myself picky. But best of all was the staff who made my stay most enjoyable. They are courteous, friendly and I can't say enough good things ! The only downside was the timeshare issue which they push you to attend without really mentioning it's for a timeshare (they say you will get discounts on activities if you attend a presentation; now it's up to you if it's worth doing). There was a bit of construction which did block the ocean view but you can't swim in the Pacific regardless. You are walking distance to lover's beach if weather permits. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel !

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
MembersSOL, The Management at Solmar Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Dear “Telka G”:

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Solmar. We will share your kind thoughts about the level of service with our team; furthermore, we’ve taken actions already in retraining our sales staff in how to approach our guests during their stay.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon again

The Management