Tripadvisor
Cabo San Lucas
All reviews santa fe pool parties riu palace gold bar daiquiri bar specialty restaurants hour lounge bar cart partial ocean view neon party empty lot fusion restaurant entertainment area evening entertainment two swim up bars an adults only resort nachos
Selected filters
Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

I want to start with the positives, the hotel is in a great location, is very clean and everyone who works there is incredibly friendly and accommodating. However, I thought that an adults only hotel meant there would be people like me, who want to spend a week at a quiet, elegant hotel. I was wrong - it apparently means adults who want to be on a constant “spring break- light.” Here are more details.

Rooms: We had a spacious ocean view room. The way the hotel is constructed there are not many ocean view rooms, but when you pay for the view, it’s worth it. The room smelled very musty/moldy and we both had mild respiratory issues during our stay. The sheets and pillows are cheap and uncomfortable. There is one blanket for the bed and it can get chilly. I’ve been spoiled by the Heavenly Bed (which this was not!). The bathtub is in the middle of the room (a bit strange) with no bath salts, soaps or other amenities to really enjoy it.

Food - I’ve never stayed at an all-inclusive and I didn’t expect much with respect to food, but it was good. Breakfast buffet was great. Other buffets were ok to good depending on what you selected. The Japanese, Italian and Krystal restaurants were all good. My one complaint is the lack of wine selection and terrible house wine. I wouldn’t mind paying extra but the wine was not good.

Pool- the pools were great but people reserve chairs very early. I don’t know what the hotel can do about it but it’s annoying. Some days there was softer music playing which was nice. Other days, it was an all day pool party. It was fun, but it was too loud every day. This is also true of the evening entertainment, some of it was enjoyable but It was always so loud.

Gym- the gym had nice equipment but was very small for a hotel this size.

Spa- disappointing. The services are expensive. My massage was ok but I was covered in threadbare towels and the bed was not heated. The room was cold. I was not given a tour or shown the steam room and hot tub, and found it on my own after asking to use the restroom. I hadn’t brought my bathing suit so I didn’t enjoy the amenities.

I enjoyed my stay but would not return. I think there are people who really enjoy the cruise ship atmosphere, but I am not one of them. I think the hotel could be more clear about the experience it provides. Had I known what it was going to be like, I would have chosen a different hotel. I also don’t think all-inclusive is for me. It seems to mean a ton of ok options but nothing great.

1  Thank joycej2
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Baja California, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2020

Dear joycej2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and with the travel community!

We are happy to learn that overall you had a good time during your stay at our Hotel Riu Palace Baja California! We appreciate your kind words and compliments towards most of our products and services. However, we lament that you found some inconveniences that made your stay less enjoyable which we apologize for! We have taken notes of these concerns and suggestions and will share them with our Management team so that they can take them into consideration!

It was our pleasure to take care of you and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon in one of our worldwide hotels!

King regards,

Reviewed January 18, 2020

Excellent! Loved it! Beautiful, new, great location, direct view of Lover's beach. Can visit arch and Lover's beach by boat from hotel for $15. The food is incredible in this all inclusive, lots of options. Ate lobster 4 out of the 5 days. Very good entertainment included, don't need to go anywhere.

1  Thank Vgtui
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Baja California, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Riu Palace Baja California and for your lovely review.

We are delighted you had a great stay with us. Our goal is the wellbeing of our guests through great food, attentive staff and comfortable facilities so it is always good to know we are achieving our goals.

Hopefully we will welcome you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

After having been to both Riu Palace and Riu Santa Fe in the last 5years, this newer resort is tops. It is Adults only, which is a nice treat in itself. We stayed 2weeks and booked the Oceanfront. I had assumed wrongly, that all Oceanfront rooms would have king size beds, we requested a move which the resort did for us after the 1st night with no issues, (other than we did not unpack for 1day)
The room was super clean, as was the whole resort. Fabulous view, comfortable beds, lots of room, nice shower with a tub in plain view of everything. Prompt and excellent maid service
Food. The buffet was very good. Did not even get tired of it in 2weeks (rare) The Thursday night international theme was the best and the Ala Carter's could hardly top that night. We liked the Japanese for the best steak (way better than the Steakhouse) the Italian had awesome lamb, the wine was better than most all inclusive. Especially the Linaji Sauvignon Blanc. And some pretty decent Cab Sav from Spain. The lobby bar with Nacho mixed some top shelf drinks (Don Julio Tequila), and my wife's standard Absolut Vodka was everywhere.
Nice pools with lots of loungers everywhere and good entertainment with sports, games, aerobics etc.
The evening shows were great dancers, and not over the top, but ok. (Usually the M. JACKSON show is the best) the dancing was awesome, but we've seen better total pkg. Some nice live bands, The 3Tenors sounded great!
No need to book Ala Carte was fabulous, and we had exceptional service in each dept. Front desk service was the best I've had in over 20 years.
I missed the beaches in Ixtapa for walking, but you could walk to the Marina in 20min or so. The thing I missed the most is eliminating the great massage huts on the beach, as the hotels protested enough for the gov't to shut them down. So high prices in the hotel spas! I Did find excellent massages in town for 17-$25us so I had them almost daily instead of once at resort. Not quite the ambiance of a spa, but very professional and reputable. (Use judgement when selecting)
The layout of the resort was very good, but think the amount of Oceanfront rooms might make it harder to get. (for 2wks I would be sad to have had a court view) but.. Less money and same quality)
Overall will definitely return if it stays affordable!

1  Thank I6458IKjohnr

Dear I6458IKjohnr,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for being such a loyal guest to Riu Hotels & Resorts. Your positive feedback is gratefully received! It brings us great joy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was our pleasure to serve you, and we hope to have you back with us again in the future.

Wish you all the best in the meanwhile.

With our best wishes we remain,

Reviewed January 16, 2020 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a week over New Years. The hotel is very nice and grounds are pretty. Our room faced the Riu Santa Fe which is a very loud neighbor to have. The room literally vibrated when they had their parties several times a week. If noise bothers you don’t stay on that side. The hotel is very open air which is probably usually nice but this week it was very cold. At night and in the evenings virtually everyone was wearing sweaters or coats. It was cold. The resort has 4 pools which are all heated. If not the water would be way too cold to get into because of the cold temperature this time of year. The ocean of course was also cool but the waves didn’t seem as rough as I have previously seen. This is not a destination for someone looking for clear, calm waters but it is very pretty to look at. The food was very good at the Indian restaurant , the Italian restaurant and the Japanese restaurant Krystal is usually our favorite at RIU palaces But not this time. We went there the first night and I ordered my favorite Krystal dish which is the lobster risotto and it was awful. The lobster was tiny and overcooked and it was served with crunchy brown rice. I have never sent a dish back at a Krystal but this time it was inedible. They brought out another and it was the same. The dress code for men is NOT enforced at all in any restaurant on any night. Men were wearing shorts in many of them. On New Year’s Eve all the specialty restaurants were closed and everyone had to go to the buffet. It was not anything special in our opinion. Buffets are always like a cattle call and we just don’t enjoy them. The hotel did a nice job of celebrating New Year’s Eve other than that. People were dressed in everything from shorts and jeans to sequins so it’s completely up to you how you dress for New Years.
All the many massage tents that used to offer great deals in massages have been shut down. That was a big disappointment. We took a cab down the beach to the Tabasco restaurant which was amazing as always. We also had a massage at the only massage place left which is right by Tabasco. The massages were about $40.
We didn’t go to the marina area because we have been many times. If you haven’t been I suggest you check it out. There are many great restaurants in that area. The employees are great with the exception of the housekeeping staff. We made several phone calls the first couple of days bc of missing coffee pot, then a maid broken the coffee carafe and didn’t replace it. We were missing soap, washcloths, and towels regularly. That was frustrating. Overall the hotel was nice and we did enjoy our stay but wouldn’t go back over New Years or anytime until the weather warms up. Bring a jacket!

3  Thank islandtraveler89

Dear islandtraveler89,

King regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

This all inclusive adults-only resort was great! My husband and I stayed to celebrate BOTH of our birthdays and from the beginning until the end we had a wonderful time. We had a package through Southwest so it included someone who picked us up from the airport when we landed. When you land at the airport after getting your bags and as you leave the airport arrivals area walk straight through the people trying to sell you transport, excursions, etc. The shuttles to the hotel are outside under numbered stations (next to the outdoor bars).

Our driver was nice and took us to the hotel. The lobby is open, large, and airy. Check in was easy and the room had a special treat for us on arrival to celebrate the event. So very kind of them!

Rooms: We had a partial ocean view suite. Clean throughout, water was hot, a nice sized bathtub in the room also. Bed slightly firm but overall happy with the room inside. The walls are thin and you can easily hear people in the hallway as things echo.

Service: Excellent! Everyone was nice and friendly, attentive, and responsive to all our needs and questions. We had no issues with our cleaning staff for our room, and everything was great. Room service the one night we ordered it was prompt. The drink servers by the pool came by frequently and our drinks were never empty.

Food and Drinks: They have a buffet that’s open for most of the day through the night, and we ate there daily for breakfast which was a massive selection of great choices. Different breads, eggs, veggies, fruit, meat, cheese, and drinks. Really can’t go wrong as there was something for everyone. We were always seated quick and tables were always open at the buffet. For the “theme” restaurants like Krystal, Taj Mahal, Guacamole, etc, check the sign outside because they’re not all open daily. This way you can plan ahead. We ate at one theme restaurant each night for dinner. Our favorite was the Indian Taj Mahal restaurant. The beef tenderloin at Krystal was great too. Ask for drinks to be made stronger if you order poolside if that’s your jam. They were more than happy to accommodate us. There’s a coffee and dessert bar, regular bars throughout, and a lounge open 24 hours with refreshments

Pool/Beach: There was generally a place to sit if you got there early in the day. No problem with theft, we felt safe and everything was fine. They had 2 poolside games. Several swim up bars and the pools were heated. Just an overall relaxed vibe by the pool. There were staff leading water aerobics and got the crowd to participate in games too during certain hours. At the beach the water was too cold for us (January), but some people were in it. Lots of vendors selling things on the beach too. We just told them no thank you and they weren’t too pushy at all.

On some nights they have themed pool parties next door at their sister resort the Riu Santa Fe. Next time we plan to go to one.

This was our first time at a Riu resort and definitely won’t be our last. We had a fantastic time and wish we had more days to spend here. It was a great time for the price and we thank the Riu staff for making our stay pleasant.

2  Thank pikunara
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Baja California, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2020

Dear Jenny,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for your five-star rating! We are thrilled to hear that you had such a nice time with us at Hotel Riu Palace Baja California!

It was our pleasure to take care of you and we do hope to have the opportunity to host you again someday soon!

Kind regards,