“Best Vacation!”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I absolutely loved my stay at Capella! Cabo is already a very beautiful setting, but Capella takes advantage by being situated amongst some of the most beautiful scenery. The staff was extremely personable and my party and I were well taken care of. We thank LuLu and all the wonderful staff for their attention to detail.

The hotel was really quite and relaxing so if you are looking for a get-a-way and just want to chill out, I highly recommend this resort. I had forgotten that I should probably go sight seeing! I also recommend cruising around the ocean to look at more beautiful scenery and whale watching.

The spa was excellent and extremely relaxing. I honestly believe that I had the best massage of my life there. Edith (my massuse), for real I want her to be my new best friend!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed February 22, 2011

We just returned from a great, but not perfect, stay. If you want a romantic escape, this is the place. There were just a few families there, and the kids looked bored. I don't remember it being in any of the resort literature, but the ocean is not safe there. That would terribly disappoint my kids. There were also a few groups that were in a partying mode playing loud music and being a little obnoxious at the pool, but they were the exception. If that's your MO, I'd suggest somewhere else. The staff at the pool, the spa, and the restaurants are the resort's best asset. They all had hearts of gold!! The spa is fantastic, and is a must. The resort needs to brush up on a few areas to be worth the $$$$$ you pay.
The breakfasts are fantastic, the dinners are just ok. The cliffside site is beautiful, but the food was bland and a bit overcooked. We loved the little extras the resort does like the chips and guacamole with beer in your room for an afternoon snack, and other little treats by the pool.
The resort really pushes the idea of a personal assistant. We got phone calls before our arrival to make reservations and appointments at the spa. But then we never met him, although we did look for him and leave him messages. His absence did not really affect our stay, but don't expect that personal attention you get before your arrival to continue. Our room phones didn't work, so that may have been part of the problem.
Our room was very nice and I was looking forward to spending time on our balcony and plunge pool instead of fighting for lounge chairs at the big pools. But the balconies stay pretty shaded, so the plunge pool is quite cold. I guess that may be a good thing certain times of the year, but something to keep in mind for mid-winter vacations. We also did not have hot water for 2 days, just luke warm. The resort ended up shutting down the water for 24 hours. Im not sure if this was related, but we had hot water afterwards and did enjoy the great shower.
Housekeeping was poor. They only did one turndown service out of our 4 nights there. That was pretty okay with us, as we are quite capable of turning down our own sheets, but it would have been nice to have the guacamole trays removed, especially with the ant situation. There were disgusting spots in the bathroom that were never cleaned even after we pointed them out. We had ant problems, which we learned to just live with. We just shook them out of our clothes and kept all our cosmetics zipped up after they got in my hairbrush. It is the tropics. And we are pretty easy going people.
So, for the most part we loved our stay. It wasn't perfect, but most of our gripes are easy fixes. We will definitely keep Capella Pedregal on our radar, and hopefully some future Trip Advisors will inform us that these things have improved. I'd be back if so.

4  Thank BlissRX
Reviewed February 22, 2011

my words are beyond explainable!!the view is wonderful from our rooms!the hospitality,and the service is wonderful!the food here is delicious also and i just have one day here i am so pleased with our choice!

Reviewed February 22, 2011

It's been about 10 years since I've been to Los Cabos, and things have changed. The area made a conscious decision years ago to attract the more affluent traveler, reflected as much in the price of food and recreation, esp fishing and golf, as in lodging. They've shunned package outfits like Suntrips, Apple, etc and that's not always a bad thing. They've also ditched projects along the Corridor, scraped a few, and got hung up with their tragically corrupt government and financing disasters via the U.S. economy. That being said, when you pay for a first class vacation, in Mexico, a certain level of safety assurance comes with it. Cabo's remained relatively safe for Americans, due in no small part to the fact that it's not a major port, hence less susceptible to the crime that comes with the drug trade. We chose to try Capella first because of it's proximity to town, i.e. very walkable, as opposed to the forced commute of a stay at Palmilla or Ventana, the only 2 other luxury properties that I recognized on line. That turned out to be not such a major advantage as, with only 4 nights stay, there was little reason to leave the resort. It's as advertised, a truly exceptional experience, from the locale & views, to the impeccable service by employees that seemed engaged in helping to make our stay relaxed, to the restaurants, everthing. I must say that the meal at Fallaron, along with the setting, was once-in-a-lifetime. I'm a fish snob and it get's no better, at least compared to the coastal spots that we've been lucky enough to have visited (Martha's Vineyard, Laguna, Gasparilla, Kiawah) than at this little grill stuck to the side of the cliff. Oh, it's priced as such, but the memory of the straight-from-the salt-water snapper, clams, lobster, shrimp etc has endured far longer than the sting of the bill. Really, it's that good. Other than the social dynamic that comes with sharing the pool deck with the "I'm from New York, with my head up my Blackberry hence am important and entitled to being treated special since I clearly am, can't you see I can't be distracted by the weather, waves or whales," blah, blah nonsense, we managed to meet a few others who chose to relax, give it up, and be happy rather than wallow in the misery that must be their very important lives. Capella Pedregal is first class all the way, from your arrival thru that crazy tunnel, to the bottle of Don Julio waiting in your room, to the little treats served poolside throughout the day, to the Pacifico and guac delivered to your room late in the afternoon. We're going back next Feb (the whales were very active and apparent, watching from our top floor room's infinity edged plunge pool or even the pool deck was almost as good as the $250 whale watching excursion) and I'm actually looking into buying something there. Very expensive and very worth it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Capella Pedregal for our honeymoon and we loved every minute of it! The only other resort in Cabo I have stayed at is the One and Only Palmilla - which is incredible, but I am thrilled to say that Capella's resort was just as wonderful with an even better location. I am very picky when it comes to cleanliness, food, and overall comfort, so I did my research before selecting this place. IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! The food was outstanding, the staff was friendly and accommodating, and the overall feeling at the resort was luxurious and private without being presumptuous. The free breakfast (delicious!) and room credits help offset the cost of food and spa - and may I say that the spa is amazing. My husband and I had two massages during our stay and they were heavenly.

In regards to the rooms: Excellent beds, the rain shower is fantastic (my husband loved it so much that he took 3 showers a day), great bath tub, fantastic view and plunge pool on the deck, and great deck furniture (we napped out there a few times very comfortably).

We did have one issue with the water being turned off for almost 24 hours, but the staff kept us up to date on the problem and their attempts to fix it. They also offered us free food and wine for the inconvenience.

We did the horseback riding package which was so cool. The ranch they took us to allowed us to walk, trot, canter and full-on gallop, which was unexpected and so much fun! Our guide was very knowledgeable and taught us a lot about the culture and local vegetation during the ride. My husband and I would love to go back to this beautiful place someday - if you have the chance, jump on it!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lovin2Lounge
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Maybe our expectations were too high? We arrived through the gorgeous tunnel- stunning. Were offered nothing to drink upon arrival? I was so tired and THIRSTY after a long day of travel and navigating through customs and renting a car. Anyway- the accommodations are nice, went to the bar for a margarita and chips. (US$50)
Our reservation at La Farralon could not be moved up, they were sorry. We waited until they could seat us. The seafood we chose was not what we we served? OK. (US$200)
The bed is comfortable, slept great!
The pool: You have to get up and ask for every single thing you want. They NEVER once ask you for a refill, I can understand people that don't want to be bothered but you are never approached for a drink- over a period of several hours.
We requested a late check out twice, when we went to take showers after the pool our room wasn't even made up- no new towels, no water in the fridge. This is NOT what I expect when paying close to US$1000. PER NIGHT.
WE CHECKED OUT, PAID OVER US$1200. and will not return.
Overall- it is the service that brings down what COULD BE a spectacular resort. I'm BUMMED!!!!

Reviewed February 18, 2011

The location of Capella Pedregal (CP) is great and very unique, with the Pacific Ocean (not the Sea of Cortez) on one side and gorgeous rocky hills on the other. And you can walk to the town of Cabo easily, but you never feel like you're in the city - very cool.
But I'm very surprised that so many people found CP to be the best in Cabo. I think the rooms and service at Las Ventanas and Esperanza are much, much better. We were in a four BR residence (rooms 540-541) at the top of the property with gorgeous views. The room was large and fine, but there were too many problems for that price - many of the phones didn't work, cushions on the couch were stained, plunge pools were too cold to use (82 degrees is their max), one of the master baths smelled like sulfur, the quality of the robes and bath products were mediocre etc etc. Just not up to the standards of some others in the area. Same is true for the service, especially since there is a 15% SERVICE CHARGE added to your bill - hundreds of dollars daily (!) - which was annoyingly not pointed out to us (as we tipped and tipped). The service by the pool is great, but otherwise, I was less than impressed - if it were left to me I'd give the pool guys $10-$20 a day, and that's about it - definitely not worth what we were paying. Housekeeping was a disaster, often took 2-3 calls to get them to come, and the job wasn't done very well when they did. Gym is very nice (and it's actually included!), but there was rarely an employee to be found to answer questions about the equipment or to replinish water etc. Spa was nice also, but the treatments were not worth the prices.
I know some folks who have found great deals at CP. At 50-75% of the cost of Las Ventanas or Esperanza, it makes sense (75% if being close to Cabo is important to you, 50% if it's not). It's definitely a 4+star property/experience, but it's not 5 stars in my opinion.
The food and service at the Beach Club & Don Manuels is excellent, far less so at El Farrallon where the setting is spectacular, but all else is pretty bad.

1  Thank eh555