“All Around AMAZING!”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #3 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed February 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Capella Pedregal for our honeymoon and we loved every minute of it! The only other resort in Cabo I have stayed at is the One and Only Palmilla - which is incredible, but I am thrilled to say that Capella's resort was just as wonderful with an even better location. I am very picky when it comes to cleanliness, food, and overall comfort, so I did my research before selecting this place. IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! The food was outstanding, the staff was friendly and accommodating, and the overall feeling at the resort was luxurious and private without being presumptuous. The free breakfast (delicious!) and room credits help offset the cost of food and spa - and may I say that the spa is amazing. My husband and I had two massages during our stay and they were heavenly.

In regards to the rooms: Excellent beds, the rain shower is fantastic (my husband loved it so much that he took 3 showers a day), great bath tub, fantastic view and plunge pool on the deck, and great deck furniture (we napped out there a few times very comfortably).

We did have one issue with the water being turned off for almost 24 hours, but the staff kept us up to date on the problem and their attempts to fix it. They also offered us free food and wine for the inconvenience.

We did the horseback riding package which was so cool. The ranch they took us to allowed us to walk, trot, canter and full-on gallop, which was unexpected and so much fun! Our guide was very knowledgeable and taught us a lot about the culture and local vegetation during the ride. My husband and I would love to go back to this beautiful place someday - if you have the chance, jump on it!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lovin2Lounge
There are newer reviews for The Resort at Pedregal

Reviewed February 19, 2011

Maybe our expectations were too high? We arrived through the gorgeous tunnel- stunning. Were offered nothing to drink upon arrival? I was so tired and THIRSTY after a long day of travel and navigating through customs and renting a car. Anyway- the accommodations are nice, went to the bar for a margarita and chips. (US$50)
Our reservation at La Farralon could not be moved up, they were sorry. We waited until they could seat us. The seafood we chose was not what we we served? OK. (US$200)
The bed is comfortable, slept great!
The pool: You have to get up and ask for every single thing you want. They NEVER once ask you for a refill, I can understand people that don't want to be bothered but you are never approached for a drink- over a period of several hours.
We requested a late check out twice, when we went to take showers after the pool our room wasn't even made up- no new towels, no water in the fridge. This is NOT what I expect when paying close to US$1000. PER NIGHT.
WE CHECKED OUT, PAID OVER US$1200. and will not return.
Overall- it is the service that brings down what COULD BE a spectacular resort. I'm BUMMED!!!!

Reviewed February 18, 2011

The location of Capella Pedregal (CP) is great and very unique, with the Pacific Ocean (not the Sea of Cortez) on one side and gorgeous rocky hills on the other. And you can walk to the town of Cabo easily, but you never feel like you're in the city - very cool.
But I'm very surprised that so many people found CP to be the best in Cabo. I think the rooms and service at Las Ventanas and Esperanza are much, much better. We were in a four BR residence (rooms 540-541) at the top of the property with gorgeous views. The room was large and fine, but there were too many problems for that price - many of the phones didn't work, cushions on the couch were stained, plunge pools were too cold to use (82 degrees is their max), one of the master baths smelled like sulfur, the quality of the robes and bath products were mediocre etc etc. Just not up to the standards of some others in the area. Same is true for the service, especially since there is a 15% SERVICE CHARGE added to your bill - hundreds of dollars daily (!) - which was annoyingly not pointed out to us (as we tipped and tipped). The service by the pool is great, but otherwise, I was less than impressed - if it were left to me I'd give the pool guys $10-$20 a day, and that's about it - definitely not worth what we were paying. Housekeeping was a disaster, often took 2-3 calls to get them to come, and the job wasn't done very well when they did. Gym is very nice (and it's actually included!), but there was rarely an employee to be found to answer questions about the equipment or to replinish water etc. Spa was nice also, but the treatments were not worth the prices.
I know some folks who have found great deals at CP. At 50-75% of the cost of Las Ventanas or Esperanza, it makes sense (75% if being close to Cabo is important to you, 50% if it's not). It's definitely a 4+star property/experience, but it's not 5 stars in my opinion.
The food and service at the Beach Club & Don Manuels is excellent, far less so at El Farrallon where the setting is spectacular, but all else is pretty bad.

1  Thank eh555
Reviewed February 17, 2011

A sunny place to relax. Everything was taken care of. Genuinely hospitable staff, beautiful grounds, view, heaven in Mexico. Our room was very clean, comfortable bed, could have been more quiet after ten.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2011

4 nights over Valentines. Wonderful getaway. I've been to all top resorts in Cabo: Las V, One/Only, Esperanza.......Capella is as good or better than all of them. Service, rooms, spa, pool, fitness facility, common areas, all exceptional. Only 66 rooms, does not feel busy. Many people stay in their rooms b/c they all have pools. They arranged a fire on the beach one night, very nice touch. Had a personal assistant all night to bring food, drinks and add wood. I don't always use the spa, but did a 1/2 day with my wife and it was outstanding. If you use spa, you have access to a great private pool. The landscape is more desert like, similar to Las Ventannas, but better. Great views, lots of water features, fire features, etc. If you must have a sprawling, largerer property, with more of a Hawaiian landscape feel, you may prefer One & Only.

Capella is very romantic. Only saw one child while I was there, and he was not a bother as he stayed away from the main pool. Though I never understand why such a great place would even allow children under 18? I think Esperanza wins in that category as sometimes one screaming kid can ruin an otherwise great vibe.

We had never stayed this close to town or the marina, and the locale turned out to be quite nice. If you like to walk or jog, be sure and do so in the Capella development just outside the hotel's main gate, there are some fascinating homes, and cobblestone streets, almost has a European feel.

The rooms are very well done. Very small criticism would be there is no HD television channels, or pay for view movies, though they have a small DVD library to choose from.

I actually became ill one afternoon, and the hotel arranged immediately for a doctor to come visit. Extremely professional in everything they do.

Farallon restaurant is quite unique. We stayed over 3 hours and were never rushed. Great live and tasteful music at night; unsurpassed ambiance.

Highly recommend.

1  Thank NolanAwb
Reviewed February 14, 2011

After years of avoiding Mexico (from the violence to the sales staff to the airport hassles), I once again am renewed on my enthusiasm for Mexico and for this hotel. Frankly, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Cabo.

After a ton of research due to not traveling to Cabo in years, I found the Capella. It exceeded expectations in all regards. From the moment you drive through the private entrance (which is literally a 200 yard candle lit tunnel to the gracious, heartfelt goodbyes at the end of your stay, the Capella is spectacular.

While many have spoken of the views, I would expect nothing less of a Cabo hotel. They ALL have spectacular views. It's often what they don't have. MOSTLY- sales people from the interior and exterior of the hotel. Not once was I approached for a sales presentation. There are no vendors combing the beach for sales. While it is understandable that those sales staff are making a living, it is a constant source of frustration and guilt to have to reject so many, so many times.

The hotel property is immaculate. Groomed sands in EVERY planted area. The classy, not-overstated room decor, The cleanliness abounds. It is not a cheap hotel, but it is well worth the price.

The personal assistants were fantastic at planning spa treatments and trips whale watching. The spa personnel were unbelievable (where else does each treatment start with a foot bath with fresh oils and bunches of herbs?). Every person goes out of their way to make your visit extraordinary. Don't miss Osvaldo in the bar. He is truly the epitome of graciousness, service and effort.

Every trip will have its hiccups and in order to be fair, there were some. When we weren't picked up for a whale watching excursion and caused a very exclusive private yacht to return to dock to pick us up, it was embarrassing. But nobody was more embarrassed than our personal assistant. He took it personally and assured it wouldn't happen again...to anyone. I believe him.

El Farrallon is a fantastic setting for dinner. The meal was average, but worth it. Frankly, just sitting there is worth the price of admission.

Make sure you check specials on the site. They are hard to find sometimes, but very valuable. The hotel is not cheap by any stretch, but there are ways to save. Most importantly, be prepared for the sticker shock of a 15% service charge on the hotel room. It adds another $130 or so to the bill each night. You get a lot for it and I did appreciate not feeling nickeled and dimed, but it comes at a price. I would prefer they build it into the cost of the room to avoid the shock at the end. With taxes, you are paying over 30% more for the cost of the room.

Last tip, check into taxis from the airport to the hotel. The service of a personal driver for transfers was spectacular, but the $140.00 cost when most taxis are vans or SUV's anyway, may be excessive.

Don't hesitate to stay. It is a lifetime experience.

1  Thank Civillit1
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We are world traveler and very fussy. Capella Pedregal is a gorgeous, well situated 5-star hotel. Pros: The rooms are beautiful with amazing views and great plunge pool.
In all my traveling, the staff at the pool was the best we ever encountered! Even when hotel is full, they are always ready to do anything for you.
Had a very good spa massage, and the setting is beautiful.
They have one of the best gym i ever seen in a resort!
Cons: nothing to do with the hotel, but its way too cold in december,january. As soon as sun sets, it's very windy and in lower 60s, some nights even 50s. So it doesnt feel like a vacation anymore. I just wanted to go back in room near fireplace! I could see everybody around me shivering and wearing scarves etc. Not fun.
Also the food was ok. Very good for lunch at the beach club. But El Farallon was horrible. Maybe it was an off night for the chef because the apetizers were very ordinary. And while the fish we selected was fresh, its was not grilled properly. With no herbs or spice and sides lukewarm. Very disappointing. Also after 10 days, the breakfast selection gets really repetitive.
Rooms cleaning staff was one of the worst we had. Always had to call them to do the room, they always forgot to replenish hand towels etc. Very annoying for a 5-star hotel.
But in the end i would recommend it and would go back but only in the spring-summer season.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to The Resort at Pedregal? Share your experiences!