“Service and detail not at the level of other 5 star hotels”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #3 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
New York City, New York
“Service and detail not at the level of other 5 star hotels”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The Capella Pedregal is trying to be something it's not...a 5 star hotel. Yes the grounds are pretty (just like the beautifully designed marketing materials), and the rooms are attractively furnished but the SERVICE is lacking. Pedregal offers 3-star hotel service at best. Even the attention to detail like the in-room amenity, while nice, is the same every day. By the fourth bowl of warm guacamole and chips with 2 small, warm, Pacifico beers I said to my friend "this place is just not us...we're off to Las Ventanas." Lunch by the pool at Pedregal, when you can find a waiter, is served in cheap plastic containers. And they offer three types of fries? I wish they would have just done one style and made them the best fries ever...not greasy and soggy. Even dinner at the seaside restaurant lacked. The locale is stunning and memorable but the food was just ok. Our grilled fish was excellent but all the extras leading up to the main course watered down the entire experience.
The pools are nice but an adult pool is an adult pool period. There were 2 other beautiful pools just for the kids. But management is so lacking at the resort this was never enforced and when guests complained they were made to look bad and not the hotel. There's no excuse for bad management in the travel and leisure business and this hotel severely falls short. Communication also proved to be a problem at the hotel The resort lost all water due to a problem with a pipe. It took them all day to fix it. No showers, no toilets...you get the picture. A five star hotel would be doing everything they good to make their guests comfortable...we were given a plastic bucket with seawater in it to flush the toilets in out room. Guests were furious.
Lastly, being so close to downtown the beach in front of the hotel does not attract the best clientele and without any security present like other resorts in Cabo these folks just came in and helped themselves to the many pools or would just stand looking in at the guests.
There are so many beautiful hotels in Cabo...it's a shame Pedregal didn't live up to it's hype. If you want five-star experience go to Las Ventanas...we loved it. We hear Esperanza and Palmilla are great too...especially if you have kids. We walked the beach and noticed the beautiful Hilton property near Las Ventanas and that looks great too and may be a good option and price point for those who aren't looking or needing a five-star experience but still want an amazing vacation. Pedregal...while pretty, lacks any substance. Just go to drive thru the tunnel at night and have a drink but do not stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank JBolosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
NYC
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Service:

From the moment we first passed through the gates we were greeted by name and a personal host assisted us with check-in and showed us to our room. I speak a decent amount of Spanish so I am not lost in Mexico, but our host assisting us with check-in spoke perfect English. Everyone at the resort spoke excellent English and there were never any communication issues. The one issue was with the ‘Personal Assistant’ I had made a few reservations when I first arrived and one of the nights we never received a confirmation from the personal assistant. After speaking to the personal assistant she explained she was having problems getting in touch with the restaurant, I do not fault our personal assistant for that, I would have just wanted her to communicate that to me.
Any night when we ate in town the staff would give us a ride in the electric cart to the main road and upon returning the security guard would see us and call an electric cart to whisk us back to our room.

Room:

We had a deluxe ocean view on the top floor which was outstanding. The room was not only spacious but impeccably maintained. The balcony was a nice touch and we spent a decent amount of time out there enjoying the complimentary guacamole and pacifico daily. The room was very spacious and well setup. The infinity plunge pool was gorgeous and while we were there it was unusually windy so some nights it was cold, but you can call your personal assistant and they will send someone up to turn up the heater.

Housekeeping:

Housekeeping was ‘invisible’ in the way you want it to be. We are early risers and are out of the room by 7:30AM most mornings and when we returned each afternoon by 4:30 it was serviced. On our first night turndown came at 6:00PM and we weren’t ready since we had an 8:30PM dinner reservation. They came back when we requested and every other night they noted to service the room at 8:00PM when we would be heading off to dinner. In my opinion housekeeping here was impeccable, they did an excellent job servicing the room daily and during turndown they restocked the fridge and setup our coffee maker so all you had to hit was start.

Fitness Center:

A good fitness center is necessary for us to enjoy our vacation but stay in shape at the same time. The equipment is in excellent shape and looks new. There was a trainer there daily who could assist you if you had any questions. The fitness center also provided complimentary bottles of water when working out.

Restaurants:

We ate breakfast daily at Don Manuels and it was excellent. The staff was extremely friendly and by the second day they knew our names and how we took our coffee. (these personal touches are what really sets a hotel apart in my opinion) The short order cook who handled omelets and local specialties was extremely helpful and the food turned out excellent. My only complaint is there was only one chef and it could get backed up sometimes.

We also ate dinner one night at Don Manuels and it was outstanding. The service again was professional but not stiff and very friendly. The food was some of the best Mexican I have had, all our dishes were superbly prepared. I highly recommend for dessert the ‘Mexican trilogy of chocolate’, once again it was superb.

Overall this is an outstanding resort, next time I am in Cabo this is absolutely where I will be staying. It is small things know my name by the second day, how I take my coffee, etc. The one big thing I appreciated was that being in Mexico we drink bottled water, well at the pool bottled water is complimentary. When we got our lounge chairs in the morning they would bring you a bottle of water per person and refill it throughout the day. The staff, the food, the facilities are all top notch. I cannot recommend Capella Pedregal enough.

3 Thank tiev
tucson
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Everyone should be able to experience a vacation at Capella! The design of the property is spectacular, starting with your arrival through the torch lit tunnel , breathtaking views of the sea to the most beautifully decorated residence! You will experience the most phenomenal staff and service. You will have the best dining experience in any of the restaurants. At Capella your every need is immediately met and the staff makes everything seems effortless - a true way to spend your vacation!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Traveled their with my wife for our anniversary. We booked far enough in advance to get the breakfast included with our stay and had a oceanview deluxe room. I intended to write this review with a caveat that it may spoil some of the surprises of the resort. After staying there, I wish those who are able to go the opportunity to see them firsthand without any of the spoilers. Folks, plain and simple, this resort is not cheap. That said, it is not overly expensive. From the moment we got out of the transportation to the moment we left, literally the moment we left, we were cared for in a way we had not experienced in another resort ( and yes, we've stayed at some very nice one's). The staff is unbelieveably helpful, fair ( which i will get to in a moment) and interested in helping you make everything out of your vacation. Any tip you gave (and they work for it) was genuinely appreciated, never expected.

So let's get to it. The GREAT: location, service, atmosphere, attention to detail, bed comfort, fabulous food, cleanliness, pool layout, pool lounge chairs, dessert, spa, breakfast, El Farrallon. As you can see it is at the top of my list. You have to try the Tastes of Mexican Chocolate dessert. We bought a bottle of Red wine from the natural foods store ( great wine selection) on your way into town and had the dessert sent to our room.

The attention to detail at the resort is incredible. The spa the massage, the little rock inlays everything was cared for in a specific and engraciating manner.

What you cannot ding them for: Its like that old adage, "you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your..." unfortunately the people that come to any resort are not in the resorts control. There was a family that had children splashing and cannonballing in the adult pool when they shouldn't be there. The resort rectified it with the family, by moving them to the children's pool and advising us that splashing & jumping isnt allowed and if the children aren't being a nuisance they are able to come to the "adult pool". That was fair to us and after being asked to leave for the other pool, the family was back the next day and much more well mannered, which was fine with us. Because I am not able to report another persons experience, I will simply say that an incredibly well mannered and understanding pool attendant and manager handled what was in our opinion a completely ridiculous action by a group, with levelheaded coolness that left me needing to tell that what an excellent job they were doing.

What could they do better: This is a very short list - In the future make the rules clear to all guests regarding what is and is not allowed in the "adults only" pool. Again, I do not have an overall problem with the manner in which they handled the issue regarding the kids. However in fairness to all the parties, if they had made those rules clearand most importantly consistently enforced them from day via managment and pool staff, the rules will be easier for guests to understand and comply with.

We loved the people, miss the room, the plunge pool and afternoon snacks and cannot wait to return or even try out another Capella hotel. We hear they are building one in the Riviera Maya. I want to thank my TA associates for all their input and recommendations, it made for such a wonderful trip.

2 Thank REGALBEAGAL
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Overall we were pleased with Capella, but that being said, there are a few things lacking when you are paying these prices... Last time we were in Cabo we stayed at Las Ventanas and if you compare the service, Capella is FAR below. At Las Ventanas, the pool guy was practically running to help you move your umbrella if you got up... at Capella, many times we would move it ourselves and saw other guests doing the same. These umbrellas are huge and heavy. It took my husband and I both to move it. At Las Ventanas, the pool people were waling around wanting to spray refreshing water on you because it was so hot... we would have to wave down the pool guy at Capella to get another drink.

We felt like the staff at Capella should be honest and tell us how much to pay a taxi into town. The man at the front told us $10 US dollars. On the way back (when we got a cab off the street) we found out it was really on $5 and it was a longer distance back to the hotel. Only $5 difference, but I expect honesty.

Out plunge pool was the perfect temperature, but it was hot during the day and so the heat probably warmed it up a bit.

When we arrived we waited in our room an hour and our luggage still had not arrived... we called the front desk and they sent the bell boy up with our luggage and he admitted he made a mistake and apologized and offered to try to get us a better room, but we never heard from him. He at least should have said nothing or told us it wasn't possible after he had tried.

The last night we were there, they forgot turndown service. Not a big deal, but when they promise and don't deliver it is a bit disappointing.

Farallon was INCREDIBLE. We went to town to eat at Ediths, but Farallon was far more superior, we should have eaten there twice. The staff at Farallon was wonderful. Best restaurant we have ever eaten at in Cabo. Breakfast at Don Manuels was also incredible... impeccable service and WONDERFUL food.

We used the workout center everyday and loved the staff there. Very nice workout room and equipment.

Beach Club staff was better than at the main pool. The one day we were at that pool we got much better service.

Las Ventanas vs. Capella... for a basic room... I would go back to Capella mainly because of the view we had with a basic room and the plunge pool. Everything else was about equal. I just wish Capella would improve their service.

2 Thank dallascouple-10
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We just got back and hated to leave. Absolutely gorgeous, even better than the pictures online. Capella resorts was created by the Ritz Carlton founder and he took a lot of the management with him. We will definitely go back or at least visit some of the other resorts. There is no reason to leave for any other restaurant as they have the finest ones onsite! La Farillon was amazing and rated the best in the area. Don Manuelos was equally good with the most amazing mussels and the best breakfast buffet as well! The room was by far the nicest we have ever had and we travel a LOT! The only negative is it took about 50+ minutes to get there from the airport, but I doubt anything in between compares. The spa is ridiculously gorgeous down to the last detail. The staff is ready to serve your every whim. We were also told the resort in Ixtapa is equally nice if not better!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 2 days with my girlfriend in May. We normally stay at places more along the lines of a Westin, but decided to splurge on this trip for something nicer because it was my birthday.

Overall, the hotel was beautiful. The design and location are truly breathtaking and we could see was this was a 5-star resort. It may very well be the best hotel in Cabo as many of the other reviewers have mentioned. We loved our room and the views. However, rather than repeating all of the praise that has already been mentioned in the other reviews I wanted to highlight a few things that left us a bit disappointed in our stay and would probably lead us to not choose this hotel again.

First, we had to call the hotel staff to fix maintenance problems with our room at least 4 times over the 2 night stay. Things such as light fixtures falling out of the ceiling were fixed promptly, but after 3 attempts they still could not fix the plug for the bathtub (the chain was detached from the plug). I had to use a wine bottle opener corkscrew to release the plug at the end of a bath. This is not something I would expect to have to do at a place this nice!

The shower was an amazing rain shower, but open to the rest of the room with a bench separating a portion of the area. Apparently the floor was not level and this caused the water to slowly cover the floor and leak out towards the rest of the room. We had to lay down towels and constantly try to push the water back to prevent the entire bathroom floor from getting soaked. The maids would clean it up each night and day with their services, but this was yet another annoying thing to have to deal with.

Another disappointment was that we had really windy and cold weather (in May). Obviously the hotel cannot control the weather, but I am wondering if due to its unique location directly on the pacific side of the peninsula this hotel may be more prone to this wind and chill. There are also several things that the hotel could do to make the experience more pleasurable during weather like this. First, the infinity pool on the room's balcony (our #1 reason for being excited about this place) was not heated and freezing cold. We tried desperately to use it at least for a couple minutes but didn't even make it halfway in before needing to jump out. In the main pool area, the wind would constantly catch the water flowing over the edge of the infinity pool and blow a strong mist over half of the chairs around the pool making them also unusable. We had to resort to chairs far away, not in the sun, and with all our clothes on. Again, not our idea of a dream beach vacation! Our last hope was the hot tub. After searching for 10 minutes we found it, not conveniently located next to the main pool/bar but off to the side area of the resort. At least that water was a good temperature and we could finally warm up. However many other people had the same idea and it was the only place of the resort that was crowded.

One last item adding to the cold weather problems was that the hot water in the room was not consistently hot. Sometimes we would have to let the shower run for 10 minutes on the hottest setting before we could enter. And then during the middle of showers it would sometimes get to cold and take another 5 minutes to warm back up. Same thing happened with the tub, so it was not just a bad fixture but a larger problem with the resort's water system.

One last complaint was that we were not overly impressed with the pool staff. At much lower class and busier hotels I have actually had more attentive wait service. Both days upon our arrival we spent 5-10 minutes at our chairs before we were greeted and provided with towels and water. The day we ordered lunch, I had to get up twice and walk over to the bar to order more drinks because they were not paying attention to our empty glasses or attempts to wave them down.

In summary, the hotel was magnificently designed and we really wished we could have had a better experience, especially at this price range. Unfortunately we left a bit disappointed and hoping for more. I think these are things that could be fixed and other travelers may have better luck than we did. I'm not sure if I would return to this hotel again, but the design does give me faith to possibly try another Capella resort in a different city some day.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to The Resort at Pedregal? Share your experiences!