“Great resort, but left us a bit disappointed”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #3 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great resort, but left us a bit disappointed”
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 2 days with my girlfriend in May. We normally stay at places more along the lines of a Westin, but decided to splurge on this trip for something nicer because it was my birthday.

Overall, the hotel was beautiful. The design and location are truly breathtaking and we could see was this was a 5-star resort. It may very well be the best hotel in Cabo as many of the other reviewers have mentioned. We loved our room and the views. However, rather than repeating all of the praise that has already been mentioned in the other reviews I wanted to highlight a few things that left us a bit disappointed in our stay and would probably lead us to not choose this hotel again.

First, we had to call the hotel staff to fix maintenance problems with our room at least 4 times over the 2 night stay. Things such as light fixtures falling out of the ceiling were fixed promptly, but after 3 attempts they still could not fix the plug for the bathtub (the chain was detached from the plug). I had to use a wine bottle opener corkscrew to release the plug at the end of a bath. This is not something I would expect to have to do at a place this nice!

The shower was an amazing rain shower, but open to the rest of the room with a bench separating a portion of the area. Apparently the floor was not level and this caused the water to slowly cover the floor and leak out towards the rest of the room. We had to lay down towels and constantly try to push the water back to prevent the entire bathroom floor from getting soaked. The maids would clean it up each night and day with their services, but this was yet another annoying thing to have to deal with.

Another disappointment was that we had really windy and cold weather (in May). Obviously the hotel cannot control the weather, but I am wondering if due to its unique location directly on the pacific side of the peninsula this hotel may be more prone to this wind and chill. There are also several things that the hotel could do to make the experience more pleasurable during weather like this. First, the infinity pool on the room's balcony (our #1 reason for being excited about this place) was not heated and freezing cold. We tried desperately to use it at least for a couple minutes but didn't even make it halfway in before needing to jump out. In the main pool area, the wind would constantly catch the water flowing over the edge of the infinity pool and blow a strong mist over half of the chairs around the pool making them also unusable. We had to resort to chairs far away, not in the sun, and with all our clothes on. Again, not our idea of a dream beach vacation! Our last hope was the hot tub. After searching for 10 minutes we found it, not conveniently located next to the main pool/bar but off to the side area of the resort. At least that water was a good temperature and we could finally warm up. However many other people had the same idea and it was the only place of the resort that was crowded.

One last item adding to the cold weather problems was that the hot water in the room was not consistently hot. Sometimes we would have to let the shower run for 10 minutes on the hottest setting before we could enter. And then during the middle of showers it would sometimes get to cold and take another 5 minutes to warm back up. Same thing happened with the tub, so it was not just a bad fixture but a larger problem with the resort's water system.

One last complaint was that we were not overly impressed with the pool staff. At much lower class and busier hotels I have actually had more attentive wait service. Both days upon our arrival we spent 5-10 minutes at our chairs before we were greeted and provided with towels and water. The day we ordered lunch, I had to get up twice and walk over to the bar to order more drinks because they were not paying attention to our empty glasses or attempts to wave them down.

In summary, the hotel was magnificently designed and we really wished we could have had a better experience, especially at this price range. Unfortunately we left a bit disappointed and hoping for more. I think these are things that could be fixed and other travelers may have better luck than we did. I'm not sure if I would return to this hotel again, but the design does give me faith to possibly try another Capella resort in a different city some day.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank natek32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
Memphis
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I discovered Capella Pedregal on TA so kudos to all who wrote their reviews and influenced my decision process. All of the reviews are spot on. I - like others - have stayed at fine hotels in Europe, Africa, and the Far East. Some of the hotels I have stayed at are truly best of class, and duly noted on independent lists. As far as this young hotel is concerned: Capella Pedregal takes a back seat to none of the fine hotels in the world. Their service is amazing, personal, and genuine. I have listed below three reasons why we fell in love with Capella Pedregal.

First, it was my daughter's nineteenth birthday during our stay. We scheduled a special dinner on our beach suite terrace that was accompanied by authentic Mexican food, the Pacific Ocean view, and the crashing surf. We had family and friends in attendance and that Birthday night experience will never be forgotten! Capella made it all happen with the splendid food, beverages, and custom service that fit our agenda. It was special for all.

Second, we did stay in one of their Pedregal Beach suites near the ocean. While not cheap...for our situation, it was the perfect fit. The 2500 square feet was extremely ample, and assisted our collective needs when our group gathered either for dinner/swim/conversation or whatever. The location next to the cliffs and rocks was stunning.

Third, the overall level of service and attention to detail was friendly, not forced. I bet close to 10 Capella employees called me by name. We were there for several nights, and I did have much involvement with my personal assistant Mario who was fabulous.
I have never stayed at a hotel where so many employees knew me, and genuinely seemed to engage in conversation. This place is special...and I hope it remains a bit undiscovered!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank GTCruiser
London, ON, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2010

My husband and I recently spent 7 nights at the Capella to celebrate our belated honeymoon. To say we were impressed with the resort would be an understatement. The resort was truly unique, gorgeous, comfortable, elegant, & luxurious. It was the perfect mix.

From the moment the huge front gates open and you drive through the unforgettable tunnel in the mountain, to the way the open air lobby looks out onto the ocean below, the hotel will take your breath away. Our room was gorgeous, the bathroom was huge and open into the bedroom, the wall connecting the bedroom to the balcony was solid glass that folded into the wall making it into an additional outdoor “living room”. Our balcony overlooked the ocean, and had a well appointed infinity pool at the far end. Every detail has been well thought out and literally nothing is missing. Every afternoon at around 3:30pm or so a special delivery would be waiting for us…2 corona’s and freshly made salsa/ guacamole with chips. Every evening there was complimentary turn down service and freshly baked goodies awaited you when you returned to your room for the evening.

The pool area(s) and all the restaurants were fabulous. What really set the resort apart from other hotels was their IMPECCABLE service. The staff at the Capella are wonderful, and will do anything within their power to make sure you have the perfect vacation. We must give special praise to Sergio who man’s the front gates from 3-11pm. On our nightly trips back from town, Sergio was always waiting for us, gate open and golf cart waiting, to take up back through the long tunnel to our accommodations. More special praise to Abraham and his crew at Don Manual’s restaurant. Each morning for breakfast they were OUTSTANDING, bending over backwards to make sure your breakfast experience was good (which it always was). And then there was Joaquin and his crew by the pool. They were always nearby to bring you ice cold bottled water, rearrange your umbrella for you, or get you fresh towels. You never felt any pressure to purchase any of the drinks or food, although you should because everything was VERY good.

Everyone at The Capella Pedregal went above and beyond to ensure that we had a great stay and the truth is, we really did. They were genuine and warm people, and we cannot wait to return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rubiesmom
London, England, UK
Reviewed May 19, 2010

In April we got stuck in the states due to the volcano eruption...so we decided to head down and visit some family living in Baja. We had to find somewhere to stay for a few days till they arrived, so I hopped online and decided on Capella.

I have been to Baja and the Cabo area many times, and I really wanted to find something that was closer to Cabo town, rather than along the San Jose Del Cabo strip of large resorts. Its just nice to be able to walk down into town if you want to eat at a restaurant or do some shopping. So we decided Capella was the one for us.

When we arrived - WOW - it just looks amazing. The setting is beautiful and the architecture and grounds are stunning. I really appreciate the subtle local flavour of the whole look and vibe they have going on. Every little detail was amazing.

The room was so nice....we had a plunge pool on our balcony, and the most fantastic soaking bathtub in the room I have ever used.

Every day there was a little treat for us in our room - guacamole and beer, tequila and nuts, almond cookies, fruit, etc..

We actually ended up eating mostly at the hotel too, as the food was so good. The cliffside dinner was really fun too, such a great setting. AMAZING Pina Coladas - and Pinatas (the non-alcohol version for my pregnant state)

Had a spa treatment and it was of course wonderful.

Downsides? Well its WICKED expensive, so you have to be willing to shell out for all this luxury. I was a bit shocked when they charged us $11 for a medium size bottle of Fiji water (luckily we were close to town so we went and bought our own at a local store). The weather wasnt that great when were were there - really windy and a bit chilly sometimes for the pool (not the hotels fault of course). It was also REALLy quiet as there seemed to be hardly anyone there. So I guess its a good setting if you crave quiet and privacy, but not if you need a bit of social scene.

On our last day they lost electricity for a few hours because someone hit a pole somewhere in town - and I was a bit amused to see some guests complaining. Hello..welcome to MExico...not the hotels fault guys!

Final note - after we left, they double charged our CC for the stay, and we had to complain to get them to fix it (after they insisted they could have made a mistake). Bit annoying to have to argue to sort this out, and not what I would expect from a high service luxury resort - but then again, wouldnt stop me from going back as its still SO FAB.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

3 Thank BetteNoir
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Seriously, this is a truly hidden gem in Cabo San Lucas. The service is second to none. As an aid spa-goer, this is by far, the best I have ever experienced. Please request Yolanda. They start out with a rosemary and sage brush on your feet to cleanse you and from there, it only gets better. I stayed at one of the residences and the majorduomo, Charlie, was completely accomodating and a very good chef. I cannot say enough wonderful remarks about this place.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Arlene F
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed May 10, 2010

If you're looking for the most luxurious hotel with a staff wishing to help you in every way, Capella Pedregal is your answer. We have never found a place that compares.

1 Thank Voyagers2
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed April 30, 2010

From the moment you are brought through the amazing tunnel and see the landscape open to you with an expansive view of the Pacific to being greeted by the Manager and many support staff to your room with its infinity pool and cool ocean breezes and I could go on. These words set the tone: "At Capella there is no check in or out time. It is when you wish it to be." Everything is like that.

I would suggest including the breakfast in your package. We did. My husband likes to eat early and I later. This package worked for us. Three nice restaurants on the property.One with a fantastic view over the rocks and ocean at the tip of the peninsula that serves fresh fish that you choose by the pound. I had the sea bass and it was delicious. Be careful, the big waves can come up as far as the restaurant on occasion and bring a wrap or jacket it is really breezy but the service and the views are well worth it. The gazpacho and crab soup is also fantastic. It is really nice that the children are separated as well.

There is nothing the staff is not eager to do with big smiles and happy chatter. The training of the staff smacks of someone who was at the Ritz and found a way to make it much, much better.

One of the best five star experiences I have ever experienced. Highly recommended.

Also the concierge made reservations for us offsite two nights which you will want to do for variety. One was la Dolce Vita, one of the best authentic Italian restaurants we have ever experienced. Be ready to take your time because the food is freshly prepared. Staff is great. We also loved Maria Corona, equally as good Mexican restaurant.