“Perfect! Put this hotel on your Bucket List!”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect! Put this hotel on your Bucket List!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

From the moment you pass through the manmade tunnel in the side of the mountain and it opens up into this ocean view framed by palms and other native plants, you are in heaven. The bucket of mini Coronas, chips and guacamole every night at happy hour; the hosted cocktail reception with free drinks and appetizers and personal greeting from the hotel manager; the waters appearing at your side when you settle in at the pool; the uber-polite and friendly staff in every encounter; the most dramatically situated restaurant in the world with amazing fresh fish -- and the list goes on. If you visit Cabo, stay here and don't think you will ever want to leave!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alechris1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I agree with Zontar. This was our first trip to Cabo. We stayed at Capella for 4 nights for my husband's birthday and our wedding anniversary. Even before the start of our trip, Marilyn (our personal assistant from Capella) emailed us informing us that we can be in direct contact with her if we have any questions, concerns, special requests, etc. I had told her that this was a special trip for us for the above mentioned reasons. So by the time my husband and I arrived at Capella, we had her (Marilyn) and 2-3 other employees waiting for us to welcome us to the hotel, offer us drinks, take our bags, and help us with our check in (all of them wished us happy wedding anniversary etc). Our room wasn't ready (since we were early) so Karena at the check-in counter offered us lunch on the hotel at their top notch Don Manuel restaurant while they got our room ready (and Karena too wished my husband a happy birthday). They had upgraded us to a better room for the price we were paying without even asking us. We got a gorgeous top floor suite with a pool... I have never seen such a beautiful room (for the price I was paying). We were escorted to the room by a very eloquent gentleman who explained all amenities etc (which included a free non-alcoholic bar), free tequila in the room (too bad we don't drink), free guacamole/salsa around 4pm with corona's or fresh juices, etc etc. We also went to the spa which was heavenly! After my first experience at the spa, we went there every single day for one treatment or another... We decided to enjoy that than other sport excursions since with was our weekend away from our 4 beautiful children. I cannot say enough of how sad I was to leave that place... The resort is gorgeous but more than that, the people who work at the resort are extraordinary! From the personal assistant to the waiting staff, everyone was top notch and we could tell took extreme pride in their work! I wanted to hug all of them as I was leaving... (they sent us off with 2 chilled water bottles and a packet of freshly made cookies btw). My husband and I have decided that this is our special place. We have travelled all around the world and stayed at all sorts of resorts but this one by far exceeded in service and quality both!

Room Tip: Rooms at the top most level.
1 Thank Aafridi
CapellaManagement, General Manager at The Resort at Pedregal, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Aafridi
Thank you for posting your wonderful review and for sharing your pictures from your visit. We are honored that you choose to celebrate your anniversary and your husband’s birthday with us here at Capella Pedregal.

Thank you as well for your kind recognition of Marilyn who is part of our Personal Assistant team. I was pleased to note that she was able to provide that extra bit of service that helped to make your visit so memorable.

Congratulations once again from all of us on your wedding anniversary. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to your “special place” for another wonderful occasion.

Best regards,
Toronto
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We spent a lovely week at Capella the first week of June to celebrate our 20th anniversary - and I think that we are now spoiled for any future hotel experiences! The service was absolutely top notch - everyone was so professional, from the staff on the grounds, to the fellows working the bar and umbrellas by the pools... to the front desk, our personal assistant assigned to help us with anything at the resort or excursions, the restaurants ... absolutely paradise.

This was our first trip without the kids for more than a weekend, in over 5 years. We thought we would splurge - and now we see how the other half lives.

We were picked up at the airport, driven to the resort by a very professional, courteous driver, with cold bottled water, nice little welcome candy and cool towels in the car. The drive was about 40 minutes, and upon arrival to the grounds, we were driven through the tunnel ( that took 2 years to drill through the mountain) ... we were presented with paradise. And a couple of crazy strong margharitas - killer after you haven't had much to eat, and even worse when you're recovering from a bad cold. I won't go into details about the results of my over-indulgence...

Anyhoo, the room was gorgeous - complete with plunge pool on balcony. It was also a combination milestone birthday and anniversary trip - so there was champagne and a chocolate birthday cake awaiting us. And a bottle of tequila. Sweet.

The pools were beautiful - infinity pools that overlooked the beach. The water was quite rough but the waves a sight to behold. Two pools, one for adults only (with a swim up bar) - and another at the "family" side of the resort. Totally different ambiance than all inclusives - I don't think we can ever go back (well, maybe if my teen keeps up his growing and eating...) to all inclusive. Ceviche / sushi bar was great; at the family side there was the pool grill, perfect to order snacks, and drinks /cocktails and beer, were brought to us (water free); a sample drink of the day and popsicle every afternoon poolside. Then back in the room, about 4PM everyday some guacamole, salsa and 2 coronitas. Can't get much better than that!

The dining on the premises was exquisite - Don Manuel had fantastic breakfasts (complete with smoothie bar, omelette station, any type of wonderful bread, cheese, cereal, fruit, coffee...); and the dinners there were to die for. Best food, presentation ever - we had a couple of bottles of Mexican wine, which we don't get in Canada. The sommeliers were so friendly, knowledgable... the service was impeccable.

We also had dinner on the side of the mountain - El Farallon - you have to go just for the experience. Pricey, but it was amazing to experience the waves (some even came up and caught the table next to us)..., seafood to order, appetizers, -- again, can't say enough about service. They actually got our order wrong, fixed it, apologized profusely, and gave us complementary dessert for the mistake.

The gym was amazing - I'm a class person, they even had video to order classes, so I was able to get my TKO on (which I had to as I was packing on the pounds with all that eating!). Equipment and facilities were spectacular. I also had a massage while there and the spa is worldclass.

No night life, but then there was Medano beach for that - which we experienced a couple of other nights. Other places you would need to try out would be the Office, Edith's, the bar scene at that part of town including Nikki Beach for sushi and tunes. Didn't get to Cabo Wabo or some of the other restaurants we thought we'd try - but since we'll be back we'll get there next time.

We did venture out one day to take a dune buggy tour - again, loads of fun.

Can't recommend this hotel enough. (A bit of a hidden gem even for celebrities - we were actually in the pool at the same time as a HUGEly popular country singer (she went on to win an award a couple nights later) - I'm not really a fan so didn't get her autograph, but I did see her indulge a fan or two. ... the vibe was so classy, it was all so subtle).

Long story short - just do it. We loved the resort, love Cabo and will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent and face the ocean. We were in the 400s, closer to the "family' end...
Dear zontar,
Congratulations on your 20th anniversary, and thank you for choosing to celebrate such a special occasion with us here at Capella Pedregal.

I was so pleased to see your very detailed review of the property and that you seemed to have enjoyed all the various different activities, restaurants, and pools. I was also pleased to note that our sommelier was able to help you experience some of the amazing and wonderful Mexican wines that we have on our wine list. Although we have wines from around the world, we are always delighted to be able to share some of the magnificent wines from our region.

Thank you for staying with us for your very special celebration and special thanks for labeling us a “hidden gem”. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Cabo!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I came to Capella immediately after staying at another property in San Jose Del Cabo that was simply amazing. If I'm comparing the two and making a recommendation to a friend coming to the area, I would recommend the San Jose Del Cabo property. However, if I were simply coming to Cabo San Lucas and needed to make a recommendation I thought Capella was a very nice hotel and enjoyed my stay. It is walking distance to the main street in Cabo (and they also offer golf cart shuttles through the tunnel to the main street) so you feel close to all of the action. I stayed at the resort as part of my birthday vacation and was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to an ocean view suite. The suite was nice, but kind of small. It featured a large bed, in-room fireplace, lounge chairs and a complimentary mini-bar area. I feel like the bathroom took up most of the space in the room. It featured double sinks and separate shower (rain shower) and bath areas). The patio off of the room had the most amazing ocean view as well as your own private plunge pool. The decor of the suite was also kind of modern.

As far as amenities, I enjoyed the fitness center and spa. The fitness center had ample machines, including a treadmill that's run by your own power and bodyweight which was a great challenge! The fitness center also featured two separate rooms for classes- both with live instructors and with video instruction when the live-instructor classes aren't scheduled. The spa was absolutely wonderful. I received the Full Moon treatment (which included everything- body scrub, massage and facial) and I was more than pleased with the whole experience. The spa includes its own separate pool and sunning area as well as two quiet areas, a steam room, sauna, ice room and jacuzzi.

The food at the resort was just okay. I ate at Don Manuel's and the Beach Club and also ordered a few meals through room service. I think the best food I had was the fruit which was both fresh and varied. Everything else was just okay and a little pricey. I did not dine at the cliff side restaurant (El Farallon) but had heard from other guests that the atmosphere there was breathtaking.

Service at Capella was nice but I didn't feel any sort of personal touch with two exceptions (described below). For example, my suite butler did my tour of the property by just standing at the terrace area and pointing to everything. My experience at other resorts included being walked to key areas such as the spa, fitness center, restaurants and my room. It's not that the service wasn't nice, I just didn't feel that anyone included a personal touch. Again, my opinion is probably influenced by my earlier stay in San Jose Del Cabo. Two areas where I thought service Capella excelled were (1) the decoration of my suite the first night and (2) the assistance I received with my departure at the airport. My first night in the suite I returned to the room to find it decorated with candles and fresh rose petals. It was a very beautiful sight and gave the room extra "warmth". As far as my departure, when I arrived at the airport, there was a representative from Capella there who helped usher me through check-in and to security and he offered to be available should I have any problems in the airport. I truly appreciated that personal service.

Overall I thought Capella was a beautiful resort and would recommend it to others staying in Cabo San Lucas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Vinylcollectors
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our room was great, as expected, but the service definitely left something to be desired. We researched the hotel at great length and had heard amazing reviews but what we expected, based on our experience of other genuine 5 star resorts, simply wasn't delivered.

Great facilities and location but if you are looking for a truly memorable stay it may be worth considering your options. At times the service was great but at upwards of $900 per night consistency would be required to make this the best in Cabo.

7 Thank LittleLiability
Houston
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I just got back from a vacation here and it was without a doubt the best one I have ever been on. The entire experience was fantastic. Our driver picked us up and was so polite and conversational the entire way to the hotel. He was pointing out landmarks and other exciting things along the way. My mother was very concerned about the tunnle. She does not ride in elevators or underground transportation but was perfectly fine in the tunnle so do not let that be a deterant from staying here at all! Trust me what is on the other side is worth whatever fear she had anyways!!!! We had never been to cabo before but will be making this place a freequent destination. The entire staff was wonderful and assisted us with everything we needed. Alan, our personal assistant was so kind and willing to help arrange whatever we wanted. I would highly recommend getting a package that includes breakfast. The buffett was so delicious and was a perfect start to the morning. We stayed in a 2 bedroom deluxe villa, which was very spacious. Spent most of the days relaxing and being pampered by the pool, listening to the waves crash and drinking margaritas. We did not get to the spa but everyone we met said how wonderful it was and we wish we had gone. We dined at el farallon one night, and I would highly recommend that as well. We did that on our last night and it was a great way to end the vacation. Overall I would suggest anyone to stay at the Capella. There is a separate kids pool if you do have children with you as well. It has two separate identical adult pools, and a beautiful fitness center. I can't express enough how great of a time we had here. I had seen this on another review, but it is very true: The hotel is expensive but you will not for one minute regret spending the money. We love the Capella!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kimberly r
Dear Kimberly r
I was so happy to learn that you choose Capella Pedregal for your first visit to Cabo! Thank you for your wonderful review. I am very grateful that your mother made it through the tunnel! The tunnel is relatively short, but helps keep our resort walking distance from all the excitement of Cabo, but you feel like you are a world away when you are transported to the tunnel to our resort!

Thank you for your special recognition of our Personal Assistant, Alan. He is a wonderful asset to our Personal Assistant team and I was pleased to note that he was so helpful to you and your mother.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Capella Pedregal. We hope to see you arriving through the tunnel once again very soon!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We chose this as our honeymoon destination, opting to spend the extra money for the extra service. WOW! Could not have even imagined that it would be as good as it was. From the moment we checked in to the time we left we were treated far better than ever could be expected. The hotel is easily 5 stars and the service a 10. Well worth every penny and will definitely be visiting again in the future.

4 Thank Damien L
Dear Damien L
Congratulations on your recent marriage and for choosing to celebrate your honeymoon here at Capella Pedregal.

I am so happy that we were able to spoil you a bit during your visit and created some wonderful memories.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for future vacations and anniversary celebrations.

Once again, congratulations and best wishes from all of us at Capella Pedregal.