“Mediocre”

Ranked #3 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Arcadia, California
“Mediocre”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed at the resort between Feb 9th to the 12th. Stayed in a 4 bedroom suite and thought the overall experience was mediocre.

The good:
- A friend that went with us spent time at the One & Only last year and felt the rooms at Capella were a bit better
- The concierge (Diana) was fantastic
- The coast-side restaurant El Farallon was excellent. Good food, amazing scenary

The bad:
- There's really not a whole lot to do for kids
- The hotel in general felt a bit understaffed (especially in the breakfast area)
- The breakfast at Capella is one of the worst of any fine resorts I've visited. The selection is so poor that I found myself returning to the table with just a croissant.
- The service at breakfast is incredibly slow and poor. There were also a lot of flies in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank tsaoh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our first trip back to Cabo after only being here for a day on a cruise. Capella Pedregal is a superb resort, with gorgeous views and amazing services. Being a very seasoned traveller, I have become very picky when it comes to hotel rooms. The rooms at Capella Pedregal were incredible. The only thing I have to recommend is do not plan to be in any sort of hurry to go anywhere while in the resort. Relax, and enjoy your meals and services. The waitstaff aren't in any hurry either, and some are just a little more relaxed when it comes to service, it just takes some getting used to when you are used to rushing around and always being in a hurry in the US. The drinks are also superb here, I recommend you try a margarita or two. I recommend this place above the rest when it comes to choosing a resort in Cabo.

Room Tip: We have an oceanview room with two queen beds, and the view of the ocean is fantastic. Everyday I wo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brenna H
washington, dc
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at Capella in celebrating a wedding annivesary and had a fantastic experience. When researching I certainly debated whether or not this property would truly merit the "splurge"--and I have to say that it did.

Our arrival was very smooth-we were met at the airport by our fantastic driver in an Escalade and enjoyed an easy trip to the property. Check-in was a breeze and our room was prepared despite our early arrival. We arrived to find a great bottle of champagne and a nice welcome note waiting for us in our gorgeous room. We had the "standard" room and felt it was more than adequate (far surpassing the many of the "suites" in your average 4 star hotel).

I can say that the pictures online simply do not do this resort justice: it is that beautiful! The resort is meticulously maintained throughout the day--at any given moment you will find the hotel staff touching up paint on buildings, raking sand displays, tending to flower gardens and so much more--no detail is left untouched when it comes to maintaining Capella, in my opinion.

I thought the level of service we received was probably among the very best I have experienced at any resort. The staff appeared genuinely proud to work at Capella and took pride in their work. From the waiters to the housekeepers to poolside staff--they were all fantastic and bent over backwards to accommodate any request. However, I must say that the only outlier in the service was when it came to the delivery of the afternoon snack to our room--for 3 out of the 4 days of our stay, the chips/salsa and coronitas would arrive anywhere between 4-6:30pm (it was my understanding that they were to be delivered at approximately 4pm). One day we even called the front desk and they were not terribly responsive. This definitely a small gripe, but we found it odd given the level of their service in every other aspect.

The food at the restaurant was fantastic! Especially the daily breakfasts that were included in the Escape to Capella Package. The breakfast buffet selection was bountiful--I really cannot think of any other way to describe it! There is a table full of amazing breakfast pastry; another table full of fresh tropical fruits (which by the way can be turned into smoothies); a cheese and charcuterie table including smoked salmon; in addition to the hot entrees of eggs, breakfast tamales--and my personal favorite (chilaquiles--which were to die for).

The other memorable meal we had was at El Farallon. In my opinion it totally lived up to all of the acclaim it has received. The fish was fresh and delicious. We had the bounty of the sea platter and it was extraordinary. Although it is true that after sunset it is very dark outside--I think the experience would have been even more magical if we could have dined at sunset/dusk.

Fortunately (to counteract all of the amazing food) Capella also has a beautiful gym--for a hotel it is pretty large, spotless and contained lots of state of the art equipment. The best part of the gym is that it offers beautiful views of the beach and water while you work out. Additionally, I should add that throughout the resort there are a number of very steep inclines (it is carved out of a mountain, afterallThe) and you will have to walk the equivalent of (guessing here) perhaps 5 flights of stairs to get from your room to the pool. But we actually saw this as a plus (given all of the great food)--but those w/ physical impairments may want to keep this in mind when booking (although I believe they do have golf carts that can take you around the bulk of the resort and there are elevators available to take you to the rooms).

The infinity pools were beautiful and there were never any issues in finding chairs, regardless of what time you arrived to the pool. I loved the swim-up bar. The pool staff were very attentive and the food and beverages orders came out promptly. I also apreciated how the staff offered samples of drinks (such as the delicious cucumber margaritas one afternoon) or other small treats throughout the day.

I visited the spa one afternoon and had a great experience.The spa is beautiful and my massage was fantastic. I highly recommend it. We also took one of the cooking classes offered and had a great experience learning to make ceviches. I would recommend that as well.

The beach was great and very private--no one ever approached us trying to sell us anything and we felt very safe. As mentioned it is completely unsafe to swim in the waters on Capella's beach and as you walk along the beach you will immediately see that is the case. The lifeguards at Capella discourage anyone they see headed toward the water.

Our trip ended on such a great note with our return trip to the airport. We had the same fantastic driver and car, but once we arrived at the airport we had a Capella employee whisk us through check-in and escort us to the VIP airport lounge. You pay a surcharge for this but I completely recommend it. It was a great way to cap off a fantastic experience.

I definitely recommend Capella and would love to return one day soon.

Room Tip: Even the "entry level" standard rooms are extraordinary!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kam1908
Tenerife, Spain
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was the most beautiful resort I have ever stayed at. The hotel itself is amazingly well staffed. I never wanted for anything at all. Room service was like eating at a five star restaurant. I have been to some of the most incredible spas in the world and this one topped them all. The drive up to Capella Pedregal is all it will take to convince you that this is the most beautiful destination in cabo. Can not say enough good things about the staff, the rooms, the views, the beach, or the food. "Fantastic" does not say enough!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank gratefulindeed
New York
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I surprised my girlfriend with a trip to Cabo this past weekend with the plan to propose to her, and thanks to Capella Pedregal, the weekend was a complete success and I came back to New York a happily engaged man!

Everything about Capella Pedregal was done very well and with precision. When we arrived at the airport, our private SUV from the hotel was waiting for us, with refreshments and a super friendly driver. We were greeted at the hotel with tasty drinks and were shown straight to our room, which was absolutely perfect. We had a large soaking tub, a fireplace, a comfortable terrace, and of course the infinity plunge pool overlooking the ocean (complete with whales out in the distance).

Before traveling to Cabo, I was in touch with the hotel via email to arrange a special night for my proposal plan at the resort's restaurant El Farallon. Everything was set up perfectly when we arrived at dinner on Friday night, the food was amazing, the view was breath taking, and the service was impeccable. Everyone was so friendly and happy for our big night, and it made it very special. We even went back to dinner there the next night, and again were greeted with enthusiasm and warmth for our special weekend.

Every afternoon, we had complimentary guacamole and chips in our room, and besides that, the food, and especially the drinks, were very reasonably priced. We never felt as though we were being price gauged for being at a resort.

The rest of the resort was just as fabulous... the pool bar, the private beach area, the friendly staff, everything. This was a special resort, and the location in Cabo is perfect, right by the marina.

Room Tip: We spent the few extra bucks to get a top-floor room, which was worth it to have an open view above...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Navin G
Longview, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I spent a 4 day 3 night stay last week! Never being to Cabo before, we had no idea where stay and what areas were the nicest. We knew we wanted to stay somewhere nice, clean, with large rooms, great beach and nice pool areas. After hours of reading reviews and searching various resort websites we agreed to spend the money on Capella since reviewers raved about the property and service. This place was truly amazing!! The grounds were beautiful! The service was excellent! The private beach was clean and gorgeous! The pool areas were awesome and no matter where you where on the property you had a wonderful view of the ocean! The resort is very secluded and romantic! Our room had a fireplace and plunge pool that off the balcony that had an awesome ocean view. The staff was so helpful and nice it seemed impossible to get get bad service! Turn down in our room was romantic, candles lit nightly, and the daily chips, guacamole and coronitas were just another pleasant surprise. Both myselff and husband treated our self to a couples massage in the SPA which you must do if you go! It is the best Spa I have ever been to!! The location is in walking distance to the marina which is great if you want to get out and explore the town. We will definitely be returning to this property!! Exceeded all of expectations and well worth the price!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Greg W
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was at Capella for four nights in January 2013 hosting a group of clients (10 people). This required a great deal of planning, and on top of that, it was for a group of people who are used to the best of the best, so I had high expectations to meet. From my first interaction with Dawn Bendedict, the National Group Sales Manager, I knew I was in for an incredible experience. This is not just your typical resort in Mexico, by any means. I booked 5 different group trips through Dawn, and she went out of her way to make sure that I was happy and that everything fell perfectly into place. Love her! As far as day to day plans for my group, I had the pleasure of working with Ivonne and Diana. How lucky I was to work with such smart, helpful and overall wonderful ladies! I was very demanding as far as details for my group was concerned, and they were gracious to work with and they made everything fall into place.

When it was all said and done, my guests and I had an absolutely wonderful stay. First off, the staff couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and all around amazing. The staff’s attention to detail and willingness to please is unmatched. I’ve traveled all over the world and have never in my life received such personalized service like this. From the concierge, to the poolside waiters and the bellmen, the people were across the board amazing.

What really stood out to me were the little details, the bottle of high-end tequila in the rooms, the guacamole and Corona’s served in the late afternoon which were delivered to the room, the amazing snacks left during turn-down service, the complimentary mini margarita’s, popsicles and fruit served by the pool. I could go on and on.

The food and drink were also fabulous all around – whether dining at Don Manuels, by the pool, at El Farallon and room service. The food was rather pricey, but I thought drinks were reasonable considering the level of this resort ($13 for cocktails and $6 for beers). Capella obviously takes pride in every single detail.

The spa was the most amazing spa I've ever been to.It's worth the money, but make sure you get there at least 45 minutes early and plan to hang out in the mineral pool and hot tub for a while after your treatment.

It was also a huge bonus that you can walk into the town of Cabo San Lucas. A golf cart will give you a ride to the tunnel, and then the marina, shops, and many of the great restaurants and bars are within a 10 minute walk. It's crazy how a place which is so quiet and secluded is located almost in Downtown!

The beauty and tranquility of Capella Pedregal and its staff, truly make it the best of the best and I highly recommend it for anyone. I look very forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have an ocean view and a plunge pool, so you really can't go wrong.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to The Resort at Pedregal? Share your experiences!