“TOP HOTEL/RESORT IN CABO”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This wonderful resort, Capella Pedregal is rated #1 on TA for good reason. You start your stay by travelling through a private tunnel that takes you from the Cabo marina to the Pacific Ocean.

Upon arrival, they greet you with complementary margaritas and a tour of the property. Then all you have to do is enjoy. Most rooms have a private pool. The resort pool is fantastic, right on the Pacific Ocean. The resort is secluded from the town by a mountain (that is why you have to access it through a private tunnel).

At night the place is lit up with gas burning fire pits and lanterns (more romantic than you can imagine). The staff can almost read your mind. They do not hover over you but are always there when you need something. A typical day relaxing by the pool includes complementary samples of their specialty drink of the day & and refreshment of the day and on some days you even get a complementary 5 minute message from the Auriga Spa staff which is easily the #1 spa in all of Cabo.

Cappella Pedregal also has several top restaurants, a swim up bar in the pool, and a great sea side bar on the cliff at the El Farallon restaurant.

There were two weddings on the beach during our stay. No doubt this is a wonderful place to get married and to enjoy a stay with your wedding party and guests.

Words cannot adequately describe this place; you have to see the photos of the property to really get any idea of how wonderful it is.

The resort is pricey; however, it is such a thoughtful, romantic and wonderful place that I believe it is worth more than what you will pay for this once in a lifetime experience. If this resort was in such a beautiful and remarkable location in the US the prices would be double.

Check out the photo gallery on the resorts website for a more accurate image of what to expect at Capella Pedregal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room right on the beach. It includes a private beach area, private pool and unobstructed...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hop-Skip-Trip

Reviewed July 18, 2012

In mid June the wife and I spent 4 nights at the spectacular Capella Pedregal.

The hotel itself was amazing. The grounds are right next to the ocean and the hotel itself is literally carved into the cliffs. Just a beautiful place where you can tell great attention is paid to even the smallest of details. Room wise you couldn’t ask for more. While there were much larger accommodations at Capella we stayed in their basic single bed room which was more than enough for us. The bathroom was huge with a rainfall shower and oversized tub. The main room contained a large comfortable bed with a mini fridge fully stocked with non-alcoholic beverages. My wife loved the in-room mini espresso machine so much I’ve since bought her the same machine to use at home. And then there was the balcony which contained a plunge pool with a fantastic ocean view. The water was so close if I had a baseball I could have easily toss it into surf. It was almost hypnotic being so close to the ocean as the large crashing waves were so loud they would rock you to sleep each night. Bottom line an amazing room with tons of amenities.

The staff was fantastic. While we didn’t have many requests the few we had were addressed immediately. Room service was quick and our orders exactly as requested. Housekeeping was on time and quick. Each day around 4:00 pm chips and guacamole were brought to each room as well as two miniature Coronas. Everyone was very accommodating and as friendly as can be. You couldn’t walk from your room to the pool without at least a half dozen staff members wishing you a good day.

Another plus is the location as the hotel is very close to town. A quick 10-15 minute walk and you can be at the marina which has tons of restaurants. Also close by are plenty of bars and lots of shopping.

Now the downside. As discussed in many other reviews it is very expensive both when it comes to eating/drinking/transportation/the spa/the boutique/etc. While the drinks were fantastic and certainly not watered down like you see at the all inclusives they weren’t cheap. I shouldn’t complain too much about the cost as we knew that going in (kind of like complaining about the cost of popcorn at the movies), but then you get the bill and it hits you. One other downside for me which doesn’t fall in line with many of the other reviews was the food. I just wasn’t that impressed. Don’t get me wrong the actual dining experiences were fantastic. The atmosphere and service at all of Capella’s restaurants was outstanding. We loved the live music provided during dinner at the Mexican restaurant and the ocean side dining at the Seafood restaurant was unique. But just me personally I wasn’t that crazy about the actual food. I’m sure it’s just my simple tastes but it felt like more attention was paid to the presentation rather than the actual food. Anyway, definitely make your way to the Seafood restaurant one night for the experience but remember there are tons of other dining options a short walk from the hotel.

And finally I have to discuss the one extracurricular activity we experienced. This isn’t the hotel’s fault by any means. Really I can only blame myself. Stop reading now if you are squeamish.

Allow me to set it up. I kept hearing from numerous people about the world class fishing in Cabo and that we just had to go deep sea fishing. Well, we didn’t have any other offsite adventures planned so we thought what the heck. It was way too expensive but so was everything else so we moved forward and reserved a boat for 5 hours. The hotel took care of all the details so all we had to do was show up.

The night before our trip we made a point not to get too liquored up and to be in bed early as we were being picked up at 7:00 am. So we did just that; however we got hungry late since we didn’t have dinner so we ordered room service around 9:30-ish and I went with one of the 4 different versions of tacos they offered and apparently picked the wrong version. After the first bite something with the salsa didn’t seem right but I figured no big deal and powered through, big mistake. Around 3:30 that morning I woke up with what felt like an alien in my belly. I quickly make it to our fabulous toilet where I spent the next 30 minutes both puking and well, the other thing. Eventually I wrap it up and go back to bed hoping I’d feel better in a few hours. Morning comes and it’s time to get up for the big fishing trip. I’m still a little shaky but certainly feeling better so we move forward with the trip. Like Private Cowboy I thought I could hack it. Plus the wife really wanted to go and it was too late to cancel so onward and upward.

And we are off. We get to the marina and lucky for me they have a little shop where they screw the Gringos by selling $50 (US Dollar) sun screen and thank God $25 bottles of Pepto. So I buy my Pepto and I’m good to go. We get on the boat and so far so good. A little bit rocking and rolling as we leave the marina but we are going at a good pace and the stomach was fine. Then we slow down to start looking for the fish, then the boat starts really rocking, and then the alien is back. Banos? I ask. And I’m off again but this time even more violent. Gone is my 8 star hotel toilet and in its place is a dingy/nasty/tiny/31 foot boat toilet. To properly address my current situation I needed access to both the toilet and the sink at the same time. To do this I had to contort myself in such a way that it’s not comfortable for a 190..err..200… pound man to do. I was like one of those women that can fold themselves into a box at the circus but this box smelled much, much worse. At one point I gave myself a Charlie Horse and almost started crying. So I blow the heck out of this toilet and then go to flush and nothing. There’s no freaking water. At this point I don’t care. I clean myself up and let the first mate know there’s no water. He checks it out (poor guy) and confirms it’s jacked up and that I’ll have to use the little bit of bottled water onboard to get the thing to flush. Hopefully the engines don’t die and we aren’t stuck in the ocean for too long because we are now low on fresh water.

At this point I’m done with the bathroom but I’m no shape to go back out up top so I lay down inside the boat on this little coach thing. My stomach is still killing me as the boat is rocking but I do find laying down makes it hurt just a little less. My plan was to lay there until the boat finally stops and it’s time to fish. I convince myself everything will be better as soon as we can get some lines in the water. The problem is the boat never stops. We keep going. And going. And going. I’m like what the heck. Are we trying to make it to the equator? Later I learn they were trolling for fish. That they were dragging bait behind the boat and that’s how you get the Marlin. So this goes on forever. At one point I think I feel good enough to get up and go back outside but as soon as I stand up I immediately have to hit the toilet again and the whole process starts over. I realized at that point I’m done so I lay back down still waiting on this damn boat to stop so at least the wife can fish. While in the bathroom the first mate opened the windows cause I’m sure I stunk the place up, the fresh air was nice but it quickly turned cold. So there I was. Sick. Shivering. Embarrassed. The lowest of lows. As we neared the equator and there was still no sign of fish we were told we’ve ran out of time and it was time to go back. I asked the guy that’s it? I mean we aren’t going to even try? Nope. I didn’t have the energy to argue. So in the end I spent hundreds of dollars to be driven around a little boat which made me violently ill and we never even put a line in the water.

Overall I’d recommend the Capella. It’s beautiful. The service is top notch. But be ready to spend some money and whatever you don’t combine late night tacos with early morning fishing.

17  Thank Rod_Houston
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I honeymooned at Capella Pedregal for six amazing nights. The entire experience was amazing, from the driver who picked us up at the airport (with cold, bottled water and cool washcloths in a bamboo tray to freshen up), to the welcome beverages ready for us as we stepped out the car on arrival, to the room, with an amazing bath and incredible views.

It was the little things that really made Capella Pedregal stand out. Fresh chips and guacamole with a bucket of Coronitas waiting for us in our room every afternoon. The hundred little votives lit in our room when we returned from dinner the first night. The attentive poolside staff, who would bend over backwards to make us comfortable. Every day I was amazed by the service and luxury we enjoyed.

And the spa was sublime. We almost skipped it, but were so glad we didn't. We had a 60-minute couples massage, but it is better described as a full-day experience.

We are already looking forward to returning for our anniversary.

Room Tip: We had room #41, on the second floor of a building with only one other room. It was perfectly locate...
1  Thank Jeff H
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Capella Pedregal was exactly as I expected and I loved every minute of it! It is a stunning resort from the moment you come thru the tunnel to the minute you look out from your patio to the plunge pool.

The rooms may be "small" to some people's standards but when I'm on vacation, I'm not the type to lounge around in my room. Even when working, I was relaxing on the bench/couch on the patio on my computer enjoying the view (internet is excellent and free). I loved the separate rain shower and bath area. The lighting (which can be adjusted to your mood) throughout the entire room and bathroom is what made it so romantic.

The pools are definitely on the quiet side (which I loved) but they did get crowded pretty quickly. Some guests moved our books and magazines from our chair one day which was a little annoying. We preferred the pool next to the Beach Club. Pool service was great and the food was delicious. Definitely get the ceviche! My favorite part of the entire resort is all of the fire pits that are lit at night. They resort looks so stunning and romantic at night.

I definitely recommend El Farallon during sunset. The views are amazing and you are just listening to the waves while eating. There are firelamps and blankets in case you get too cold. I love the concept of picking out your entree to be grilled. We got the whole seabass and chocolate clams which we absolutely loved. The sides were good and the desserts were just ok. I didn't think it was super expensive but maybe I'm used to those prices. Don Manuel's had a huge variety for their breakfast buffet. The winner for my boyfriend was that they had rambutan (a triopical fruit) which is very rare to see! I got the crab benedict which was delicious and pricey considering that it was 1 benedict and nothing else.

What sets this resort apart from Las Ventanas or Esperanza is the proximity to downtown. We usually stay in the corridor but it is so nice just being able to walk downtown during the day or for a dinner. The resort is beautiful but sometimes you want to go experience the actual town and nothing beats being a 10 min walk away.

They hosted a cocktail party while we were there and we met the nicest couple who we hope to stay in touch with. It is the little things like this that really make the vacation! The only small annoyances I had (besides our stuff being moved which is the guest not the resort) is that no slippers were provided and when you are out on your patio, you can clearly hear the conversations of those around you. Overall, it is a fabulous resort and we will definitely stay there next time we are in the area!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissBabblicious
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My sincere opinion it that Capella Pedregal is a poser. The one who expects nothing is never disappointed, well I expected great things and was truly disappointed. It's my own fault, not going with gut and returning to LVP or One & Only, or even trying Esperanza. I believed the hype, and paid the price.

Capella cannot be compared to LVP or One and Only, not in rooms, service, ambiance, or even food. Capella is average at best. Yes, there were bright spots, but when vacationing at a marketed 5 star property the whole place should be glowing.

Pick up from SJD went smooth, and was included in the Escape to Capella package. Our driver (contractor) was very nice, and our transport went smooth. As mentioned, we were met with margarita's given a quick tour and brought to our room 343 Ocean View Vista. As room go with "plunge pools" this room was small, so-so decorated and cramped. The floor lamp directly at the end of the bed was quite strange. Similar rooms at The Tides (Now Viceroy) in Zihuatanejo, were 10 times better. The large bathroom took up most of the room. The sink area is so large that you can't get up close to the mirror (ladies take note), and there is no lighted vanity mirror. Other very noticeable things, the closet was very small, amenities (comb, toothbrush etc.) were never replaced. The A/C was louder then most, and was never really cold. Housekeeping was inconsistent, coming too much or too little, and the "free" guac and beers were delivered in melted ice and warm most of the time. Also, thanks for the 6 day old cashews that were never refreshed. My room sported a broken ironing board and broken room lock that took 2 days and multiple calls to replace and get fixed. Oh! Want slippers to walk around after getting out of your plunge pool? my room never had them, and when requested still never came, so I guess NO SLIPPERS in the rooms.

I was advised that the property was only at 50% capacity, if this was true God help those there when it's 100%. The pools were nice, but being on the Pacific side be prepared to relax in a wind tunnel. Some days, the wind was so strong we gave up and went to town. Seats were very close together because of the lack of space, so don't think you'll have privacy during your conversations about other people :) Beach seating was very, very limited. Never saw anyone lounging on the beach. When you get tired of the pool menu, ask for the beach club menu. Bright spots at the pool were the attendants Eddie, David and Mr. Gino. These guys were great, and I thank them for their attention to detail.

Aueriga Spa was a very nice experience, thanks to Giselle. We had multiple treatments, and I highly recommend her service. Be careful not to book your treatments too far in advance. When the spa is slow, they offer 30% off treatments during the week.

El Farallon and Don Manuels the two main restaurants left much to be desired. Although, El Farallon has a dramatic setting the food we shared the "bounty" a mix of 4 kinds of fish, with sides was nothing to write home about. At Don Manuels, the morning buffet breakfast was ok, again nothing special as some write about here. Anything other than "continental style" breakfast buffet or omelets are charge full boat under the escape package. An extra small bagel, cost me $5 bucks one morning. Coffee and service was good. We also dined there one evening, 2 apps (shrimp risotto, short ribs, 3 glasses of wine, a bottle of water, and a shared desert, $150. A tad steep in my book. Wine here is way overpriced for the quality.

My parting salvo is to be aware of their accounting policies. Again, my bad but according to their website I was under the impression that the "escape package" was marketed at $680 a night with a free night (I even asked for email confirmation before arrival). Well, the rate was actually the "lined out" price of $850 a night plus almost 30% in service fees and taxes with a grand total of over a grand a night. The explanation I received multiple times by mgt. was that they "average in" the free night and thus the descrepancy. "Average In" a free night?? Say What?? Never in my travels have I ever heard this, so beware and get your room rate with ALL taxes fees squared away before you book.

Again, Capella is a nice property, but no where near a five star property. Mark my words, you'll be able to stay here for half the price in the years to come, when the poser allure wears off. Capella is just not on the level of the other well established 5 STAR property's in CABO.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Room Tip: Book at LVP or One and Only.
29  Thank Vinceonthemove
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Dear Guest -

We are very sorry to read your review as it is very apparent that you did not enjoy your stay. We work very hard to create wonderful guest experiences and when we do not connect with our guests we are disappointed along with you. We appreciate and accept your feedback and we will continue to focus on turning each and every guest into loyal Capella clients. Once again, we are sorry and disappointed with you review. Please note that we charge all guests exactly as they were booked. Your rates on your final bill included tax, service charge and your complimentary night. It is never our intention to confuse our guests.

All our best,

The Capella Management Team

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We had a 3 room, 3.5 bathroom apartment/villa. Great kitchen and living room area. Small pool in every apartment. Great view almost from every room, probably except the ground level. Which is really convenient and has a bigger pool and a good view, but not great.
Only drawback: You can't get into the sea. It has a great sandy beach, but the waves are too strong to get in. You will have to travel to another beach if you want to get into the water. This is no problem if you are a pool person.
Great restaurant concept. Pool bar with their own creative cocktail creations.
Very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ground floor: bigger private pool, but no view. Higher floors: smaller private pool, great view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I am a foodie from NYC and am use to luxury. I am very picky and can find fault with everything. This place is perfection! My fiance and I went on a mini vacation for 5 days and this place felt like it could be our honeymoon. I seriously think I won't be able to find a nicer place then this in the whole world! It is very pricey but when you stay here you see why. Don't look at your bills, forget about money. Splurge and go for it and you'll feel it's been worth it.

Eat at the restaurant on the cliff at 815pm to enjoy some fresh grilled seafood, sunset sky and then watch as it gets dark, the fire pits are turned on and the live music begins. So elegant! Have lunch in Don Manuel's. Best Steak Tacos and Blue Corn or Squash Cheese Quesadillas I ever tasted. What kind of cheese is in this, it was orgasmic. Oh, and their Churros....best I have ever had and I am not even a Churros person.

Service was A+! You truly feel like like royalty there and the spa was the best ever! You are also just a 5-10 min walk to town with many great restaurants. Check the area out, eat out and enjoy Cabo too, it's easy to forget about when you'll never want to leave the resort. Also, be sure to spend a few hours on Medano Beach ($10 cab ride, 5 min ride). It's Cabo's main beach and fun with many bars, hotels and restaurants along the strip.

I will be returning again next year once I have saved up enough and am ready for a splurge. Be sure to try it!

Management, if you are reading this, you should encourage guests to come back and offer a discount to repeat customers. If you do this, I'll be back even sooner so please do let me know and send me a message on Trip Adviser.

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean front, even the most basic, you can't go wrong with any room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShawnBNewYork
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Guest -

Thank you for the incredible review. We are so excited that you had a wonderful experience and we do look forward to welcoming you back home to Capella in the very near future. We love all of our repeat guests and appreciate your suggestions. We look forward to speaking with you personally for your next reservation. We will miss you until then.

All our best.

One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosew...
#2 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to The Resort at Pedregal? Share your experiences!