“Second Time Around, Better than the First”

The Resort at Pedregal
Ranked #3 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Texas
“Second Time Around, Better than the First”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I just asked to extend our stay for another night. Had to change flights, pet sitters, etc. Thanks to Marisol, we can stay right in the same room for another night even though the resort if quite active.

This resort has developed into a solid five star hotel from our last stay over 2 years ago when they were fairly new.

Yolanda gave my wife the best massage she ever had.
Pool Staff is outstanding, including Jose and Omar the bartender - thanks for making the Mr. Bill Specials!!
Restaurants are very good (service is great, food is very good).
Pool was a bit crowded in prime season. Why folks do not use the chairs right on the sand is beyond me? Great view with no one around you.
Bring your own binocs, sit on the beach and watch the whales jump around!

For Cabo: Been to Palmilla & Las Ventanas, now Capella twice. Can't really go wrong with any of them and I know most can't handle the cost. But for a honeymoon, anniversary, special trip, I would take Capella anytime.

Room Tip: Your choice. Spend more for a suite and it is worth it and you could never leave your room and be h...
7 Thank advsrbill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
Zhora
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I have to start by saying that I almost never write reviews. Only, if I am really impressed. We were staying for 4 nights in December. It was like a dream. Rooms are perfect. We had a top floor room but they all are pretty much the same. During winter months being on the top floor makes the plunge pool warmer (there is nothing above you and it gets direct sun light). Plunge pool isn't heated but it was always worm enough.

Service is amazing. Staff were almost invisible but always there when you need them. They never bother you when you want to be left alone. And, if you want something they will get it for you.

Breakfast buffet is awesome. Room service showed up 10 minutes earlier than promised! Food generally was very good but a little pricey. The flagship restaurant located on the cliffs above the tide is in the most amazing locale of all the restaurants I have ever been too. Food isn't spectacular but the setting compensates for it. Wine list is decent albeit over-priced.

Rooms are very clean and modern. Room has all the amenities including free soft-drinks minibar and a Nespresso machine! The terrace has pocket doors which slide incompletely creating one great space ending with infinity edge plunge pool.

Spa is a must. We had a few treatments and they were perfect.

The beach is very nice and water is clean. There is a serious surf almost all the time and they don't recommend swimming but we took a dip anyway and it was fine.

And, during whale season which start mid-December and ends in late Feb you can watch whales from the comfort of your own room which conveniently comes equipped very serious binoculars

The only downside was a long trip from New York.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Zhora22
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I have to stay this was the most amazing place! We came here for our honeymoon and a much needed getaway and it exceeded all of our expectations. All the staff were friendly, helpful, and welcoming. The rooms were clean, tastefully decorated, and the little extras made a big difference (definitely worth the resort fee and gratuity fee). The grounds were kept beautifully an it was quiet. We truly had a fantastic time. We hope we will be back again!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to have an awesome view!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amy S
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I will start by saying that the Capella is a very nice hotel. If you are hoping to find a deal or a low price, you will have to look elsewhere. The hotel caters to those that can afford high prices.

I stated in my original reservation that we would have 2 couples traveling together and that we would be celebrating wedding anniversaries and birthdays. We arrived to have margarita's in hand within a few minutes, which was a very nice touch. Our concierge showed us around the property and offered an upgrade to a larger room, however the cost did not justify making the move. For 2 people the Capella room was more than adequate. As mentioned previously, we were traveling with another couple, but they put our rooms on two different sides of the resort. It made it a bit frustrating to navigate the resort at night (as it is very dark with windy pathways and stairs). I also mentioned that we were celebrating various events, however, they only noted one birthday (very odd). However, they did provide a bottle of champagne for that event. The resort grounds are absolutely beautiful, very well maintained and the staff that you encounter is very courteous.

The restaurants are average at best. Don Manuels is overpriced and the food was mediocore. We all had fish and all agreed that it didn't have the flavor or taste to justify the cost. El Farron has a great concept (you pick your fish), but the time to get it served (over an hour) and the quality was not very good. We did take a cab to Esperanza for dinner and it was truly outstanding. I would recommend not eating at the resort.

As for the rooms, they are very large. The furniture, tile work and bathrooms are well appointed. I liked that fact that they brought 2 or 3 corona's and chips and salsa daily. However, the plunge pool was downright cold and unusable. It is not a private plunge pool or deck as advertised. Additionally, I found 2 cockroaches - one alive (that I killed) and a dead one. If I am going to pay around $750 a night, that is a huge blunder. We stayed 4 nights and the maids were only late one day. All of the rooms seem to have different features (our's had an outdoor fire place), but the other couple didn't have one. So if you are looking for something in particular, make sure you ask for it.

The pool area's are nice and the attendants try their best to keep you hooked up with water. However, we did have a specific incident at the pool that wasn't addressed by management. Again, for this level of hotel, to have poor follow-up is unacceptable.

My wife did have a day at the Spa and said it was wonderful.

Overall, I would rate this hotel as nice, but honestly not worth the price. They do their best to get it close, but not all the way. I think couple's would be better served to look at all the options in Cabo. it seems like Cabo is trying to target high-end travelers, but are struggling to get it perfect.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
nor.cali
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We were here for 5 nights. It was a chose between four other places we've stayed previously, and this one as a new place to stay. I'm glad we chose this place. It is awesome! The rooms, service and food, hands down the best we had in our previous trips to Cabo. As a matter of fact, we are strongly considering a repeat stay during next trip. It is expensive, I kid you not, but it does worth every penny you will spend (and they do charge you up the wazoo, I heard today during breakfast, one couple paid $75 for two glasses! of champagne, which wasn't even an expensive label) so be ready to pay, but try to enjoy it, I'm sure you will, we did a 100%

One thing that really got me wondering...and I hope someone from management or ownership is reading...not only they include a tip on everything, and it is at 15% whether one is happy with services provided or not, but they add a tip before adding the taxes!, so when your bill comes, you have food, beverages, tip, taxes and then total.
Please let the consumer decide not only how much to leave as a tip, but make it the last line of the bill, and do not add it automatically.

Room Tip: Any of their 66 rooms are great! Get any room, some of them have a better view of the ocean then oth...
5 Thank SF_Ru
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have traveled extensively in the world and this place is in the top 5. Capella Pedregal is beautiful, clean, has amazing food and offers great service. This is a quiet relaxed hotel and not a wild fun partying hotel like the ME Cabo. So if you are looking for a lot of action this is not the place for you. Although the one and only resort at Palmilla and some other resorts in "Cabo" are probably as nice and relaxing, the one thing Capella Pedregal has that none of the other top end resorts have is location. Capella is located right in town and you can walk to the marina and mall. The others are a long expensive cab ride away. One thing that I should mention is that you cannot swim in the ocean at pedregal because it is too dangerous. So if you are someone that likes to go in the ocean you are better off at a resort on the Sea of Cortez side of the Peninsula. Something special about this place is you can see whales migrating and playing just off shore from your room. Additoinally, the jumping manta rays can be seen just of the beach and they are amazing as well.

Room Tip: I would stay on the top floor of building 2 or 3 if you want the best views.
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Oh I am kinda picky...when a place says it's gonna spoil me (and especially when they are charging me plenty) I want to believe them! Well, this place was the best...a few places I have been have come close but Capella Pedregal has now topped my list! You will pay for this luxury but we were given an upgrade upon arrival. A private Escalade with a pleasant driver met us at the airport and once you pass the gate and enter the amazing torch lit tunnel lit with chandeliers, you know you have chosen a unique place! Our suite was amazing. It is even better than they can capture in the photos online. The spa is top notch. Be sure to allow plenty of time to enjoy the amenities when you book your treatment. It is heavenly! The food is also fabulous. Do not miss the opportunity of a meal on the oceanside cliff that is El Farallon if you enjoy seafood. It is a most romantic setting and the food...fanastic! The fresh catch is laid out for your perusal and when you pick, it is simply grilled to perfection and served with delicious sauces! Things to know, as other reviewers have said, the beach at this area is not for swimming because of dangerous currents but we did have lovely long walks and you can see the whales from shore! I would also agree that it is best for couples as even older children would probably find it too quiet. But, we loved that it was a short walk or ride to go to restaurants or shops in town and our older children would probably love that it is close to the nightlife of Cabo! We also enjoyed taking walks (or should I call it- a hike) up Pedregal to see the homes and get the fabulous views from the top of the development of Pedregal. I can't wait to go back and usually I am one to try new places because there is so much to see of the world and so little time- but this is one I yearn for again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple