“Must stop at on way to Todos Santos”
Review of Art and Beer

Art and Beer
Ranked #398 of 588 Restaurants in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you're looking for an great experience on the way to Todos Santos from Cabo San Lucas you have to stop here. Great art, amazing drinks and food and all kinds of art inside and out. Prices are cheap and prepare for some pleasant surprises!

There are newer reviews for Art and Beer

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were advised to stop here for the bloody ceasars! OK, well I have to admit that I dould not drink it but that was only because I could not stomach all the raw seafood in and around the glass. The other drinks were excellent. The "art" is facinating to see as well as the time spent with the intriguing owner. You really need to check out the restroom......

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and i just got back to our hotel. She is still crying. Our visit there absolutely destroyed an
Otherwise great day, and perhaps the entire vacation. we are not whiners. we are not complainers. We are open-minded, we like unique experiences and off the beaten path adventures.

this is not about food or beers or prices or quirkiness. This is about physical assualt and right and wrong.

our first infraction was that my wife had a half-consumed water bottle in her bag and took a couple sips... AFTER we had already ordered and received a beer, tostados and a mango marguerita... seeing this the owner sternly blurted, "that is not from here. that is not from this restuarant!" At that point we took note of his weirdness and decided we would pay and leave.

Second infraction: Being an art gallery that presumably sells art, we made the mistake of thinking they took credit cards. When bill time came, we were short on pesos. Normally, this would merely be an embarassing inconvenience. Not with this psycho santa claus. He refused any good faith gestures and i was not about to leave collateral with him. Thinking there could be no harm with lots of customers around, i had my wife stay there while i went to get cash. I had to drive north to find pesos on a sunday afternoon. All the ATM's were of course drained of cash. I had to drive all the way back to My hotel in Todos Santos to get cash.

when I returned 40 minutes later, my wife was standing out front with a frown and i knew this was trouble. We paid the wife of the psycho owner and left. My wife was strong under the duress of the situation, but later told me that the owner yelled at her so much that she left and went into the "gallery" to avoid being embarassed in front of the other customers. There, the owner bullied her, shoving his chest into her and cornered her while yelling at her... accusing her of "not repecting family" and having no values. She feared for her life. all so unnecessary.

It's just a matter of time before the owner, prone to angry fits, which will only increase in frequency as his business declines, harms someone beyond repair. Then, maybe, seeing a blemish to tourism (ie: gringo dollars) the authorities will shut him down.

To those who read this and had a better experince, i ask that you not give this place a good rating out of respect for human decency and for those who have suffered the abuses of the owner. I wouldn't want to recommend it to someone only to have those people hurt.... Even if my experience was okay.

7  Thank Richard A
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I wanted to love this place. My husband and I stopped on the way back to Cabo from Todos Santos for a quick drink and bite to eat. I was a little put off from the very first step inside, where the first thing you see is a chalkboard with "the rules". (Bathrooms are for customers only - fine, and there is a 40 Peso minimum consumption per person - fine I guess, but really?!) We ordered drinks (you have to do that before you come inside and sit down) and then asked to see the food menu. They offer a bunch of different seafood tostadas and we ordered three different kids to share - clam, smoked marlin and something else I can't remember now. They also came with soup and dessert - more food than we were looking for, but that is the only option. The soup was completely tasteless and the tostadas were awful. The clams were huge and rubbery and had a really weird texture. (I am not afraid of seafood - grew up on the coast eating practically nothing but.) But this was just... weird. Left an awful taste in my mouth and we ended up leaving before dessert. (Which did not make the hostess happy!) After reading some of the other reviews, I guess I'm just glad that we weren't assaulted or yelled at by the owner. (He was engaged in conversation with another couple.)

Bottom Line: This is way overpriced, the food is not good, and the atmosphere and "art" are just... odd.

2  Thank hfintexas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place.. though WELL outside of town, is WELL worth the trip. I have never. EVER. Been to a hidden gem like this in my life. Imagine if Tim Burton and Jimmy Buffet smoked a LOT of dope and had a baby... that would explain the cool collection of art here as you wind through the property with a MAGNUM sized drink that looks like its own work of art, most likely mixed up by the owner himself or his wife.
It bares mentioning that all drink prices include a roadie to go.. WTH?! This place rules!!! Go. Just GO.