“Pueblo Bonito is gorgeous!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montecristo Estates Pueblo Bonito

Montecristo Estates Pueblo Bonito
Ranked #10 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
OREGON
“Pueblo Bonito is gorgeous!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Montecristo Dec 1st thru the 16th. The first week was in phase 1. Phase 1 has amazing views and the villas are spotless. The furnishings could use some upgrading. My personal concierge was Joel and he was great. I really appreciated his prompt responses and attention to detail. Transportation can be a pain, but I was really lucky this time around and most of the shuttles arrived very quickly. All of the drivers are friendly and professional, but Jose Luis (his name tag just says Luis) is the best!! He always seemed genuinely happy, he also stuck around while I checked my villa 1 night when the door was left open by maintenance. I appreciated that, as I was alone the first week of my stay. Phase 2 is newer with more modern and comfortable furniture. The upside is supposed to be the golf carts pick you up and take you directly where you are going, instead of being dropped off at sunrise like at phase 1. However I had longer waits and more issues here, than I did in phase 1. In general the place is beautiful, but they don't seem to be working on the main complaints most guests have. Which are transportation and I guess you could label it under communication. People are right, when you check in you are given no information about the property or the different events planned. They also don't all seem to have the same memo about what time things close and open. It is frustrating waiting 30 min or more for transportation to dinner or the pool to arrive and see it isn't open yet or is closing. Overall I would recommend the Montecristo, but for the price they really need to make improvements in key areas. The timeshare presentation was ridiculous, and warranted a separate review.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AngelaInOregon

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

This is the most awesome place to relax in the whole world!!! Such attention to detail is not at all see in most resorts. The Employees are so very invested in their jobs they make it seem as though they are a part of your vacation…..Totally recommend this resort or any Pueblo Bonito resort!!!

2 Thank Rmba56
calif
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

This Thanksgiving we went to the Montechristo at Pueblo Bonito. Our first visit. First I have to say the staff was wonderful from our butler to maintenance workers to housekeeping. The view is wonderful and we had a wonderful time. The villa is beautiful with a full kitchen and three bedrooms and an infinity pool.
However,( I thought it was because some of the older homeowners are paying less than $1200 for yearly maintenance while I paid over $4000 for two weeks...)up keep on the property was less than desired.
1.There was a smell coming through the vent in the master bathroom toilet that smelled of sewage that never went away though it was looked at 4 times by maintenance. This could actually be a health issue.(my husband refuse to use this toilet )
2. The fountain finally worked thanks to maintenance.... though I had to keep filling it up because it leaked.
3. The tub jacuzzi was broken so they took one out of the next unit and switched it with ours.(great maintenance people)
4.The light in pool had a electrical line hanging out (we just opted not to turn the pool light on because of the risk of electrocution.)
5.The dishwasher repeatedly overflowed to the point our two year old grand son slipped and could have been seriously hurt. Water leaked into the bedroom downstairs. They switched out our dishwasher twice...I really think something is wrong with the plumbing. They came several times to mop it up and I did it twice myself. We opted to wash by hand as did housekeeping.

They wanted to give us free massage which we declined on principle. I do not blame the people working there...they were all wonderful in fact we tipped everyone for their work.. I get the feeling they are putting all their money in the new golf course and taking my fee to do it. I was told that complaining would not help. It is a shame because we love the resort.
on a happier note
The golf course looks wonderful and I know it will actually be done next year.

Thought I would just like to warn phase one Montechristo owners and visitors to check their property the first day you arrive to make sure everything works!!
If you are staying in the phase 2 portion I do not think you will have any problems..It is new.

Room Tip: Check the property the first day. The staff will try their best to fix any problems.
2 Thank ericCalif
Roseburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

A little background first: For the past 25 years, we have been driving to southern Baja from Oregon. So we have the ability to bring everything we "need" for our personal enjoyment. We have traveled to Europe. Been on cruise ships. Driven across the U.S. & back. Stayed at many resorts. NOW. Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach/Montecristo/NovaIspania/ Governor homes are incredible. We purchased building 13 unit #32 ten years ago for every year during Thanksgiving time. Service, quality of life, friendliness, excellent unit. Year after year after year. Two years ago, we traded unit 32, a Jr. executive for unit 152 Montecristo every other year. This year is our first time here. Now we are E Z pleased folks. Check in was quick. About 4 p.m. We drove to our unit, and began unloading the car. Here comes our concierge Jose right behind us. He gave us a 'walk through', explaining how everythng worked. And there is a lot of things in this 4 br 4 & 1/2 ba home. (our kids showed up next day for four days) We enjoyed everything provided for here. Infinity pool. Jacuzzi of the pool. Covered deck over part of the incredible backyard. There also is a sunken round gas fireplaced "pit" for sitting & visiting in the evening. There are outdoor lights everywhere. Even an outdoor stairway from the second story deck (street level) going down to pool level. AND it comes with a bungalow. Complete with refer. Plus on the patio next to the bungalow, you'll find in the cabinet, a sink. A refer, and next to that a large bar b que. Plenty of chairs, and lounges. A washer/dryer with linens cupboard. Ironing board. (who irons their swimming suits!!!!!) T.V's everywhere. (note: Reception sucks right now on a few of the lower channels, but I'm told being worked on) The air conditioning will shut down each time you open a door to the deck, so you've got to remember to keep them shut. We requested maid service, pool cleaners grass cutters after the first week. We're not messy folks. And don't like the interruptions. And it served us well. The view of the ocean is great. Especially watching the fishing fleet come out & go back during the day, as they traverse past the complex. We watched whales. One expecially breaching for 30 minutes one day. Yes. Currently there is a problem for getting around the development. I think because of the economy they have laid off certain staff. Like drivers. Hopefully the new management of Montecristo will read all these and make some changes. We toured the golf complex one day. We found three greens completed & the club house in constructioin. FINALLY!!!! There is a great youtube.com interview with Jack Nickaus regarding the course. Look at it!!!!! WOW!!!!! I'm sorry to hear about the other guests problems. Nothing is perfect. No one is perfect. In our estimation. Based on our experiences here for over ten years, we love this place. I'm 79 years old, and I've arranged in my will for my 'younger' wife to continue to come down, and bring my 'ashes' with her, so I can continue to enjoy this place for ever. (lol)
Enjoy!!!!! Oh yes. Second week was just ourselves. Heavenly Bliss.............

Room Tip: Drive down if you can. A real adventure. Read Vagabundos del Mar.web page for FMM's, and auto in...
1 Thank filoRoseburg
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Montecristo Estates Pueblo Bonito, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We feel pleased after reading such a nice and detailed review about our villas, we truly appreciate welcoming people with such a positive attitude like you, it is great to hear you had a wonderful time with your wife and kids and really hope to welcome you and your family anytime in the near future.

Engelberto Tirado, General Manager
Melrose, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

We just spent 12 days at MonteCristo Estates in Cabo San Lucas escaping from the New England weather. The accommodations and service are terrific. We had our daughter, her husband and two and a half year old granddaughter as our guests - they took the bottom floor and we took the master bedroom on the top floor.

Pueblo Bonito runs numerous activities that we took advantage of. In particular we enjoyed a "behind the scenes" tour hosted by Saraha. She gave us a great insiders view of the inner workings of the resort - fascinating!

We had great meals at Maros Fish House and the Hacienda and a very enjoyable trip to Todo Santos .

1 Thank BandCM
Everett, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have been owners at Monte Cristo Estates for years and go back every year November 1-16. We love the weather that time of year and have not been disappointed at all. Our concierge Edguardo was one of the best we have ever had he was on any issue we had and it was fixed immediately. Of course there are always fix issues in the unit, but all were taken care of pronto!! The views are fantastic and the sunsets.....beautiful. We always rent a car and that makes our stay better since we like to go to town for dinner alot....we always do breakfast and lunch in the villa and splurge on dinner, the kitchen is spacious and everything worked great. I recommend this to anyone wanting more privacy for the family and your own pool...nothing is better.

1 Thank pjryan2013
Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

My family and I stayed in Villa #59 (Phase I) November 1-6, 2013. The villa is very spacious; we all had our own rooms with private bathroom and changing area. The Villa was extremely clean and well maintained. (Although we did not use the washer and dryer, it was nice to know it was available). The maid came daily, but when we were occupying the villa we did not request cleaning service. Extra towels were left but if you refuse maid service, they do not come back.
Room service is available for $5 delivery however, each time we received our food we gave the delivery person $5.00 plus tip. When we checked out, they wanted to charge for each delivery service. We explained that we paid every time the food was delivered. Apparently the delivery person thought it was a tip and we couldn't believe the staff contacted our delivery people and asked they return the $5.00. We read that there was a $5.00 delivery fee and we gladly paid it, upon delivery....not expecting to be charged for this service when checking out. Watch your charges carefully. Upon check in, charges for this service should have been explained. (A map to the property would have been nice too. We did not want to go on a time share presentation to find out where the spa, or exercise room was).

One week before our arrival, I received an email from our concierge Edgar. A deli list was attached which I filled out and returned. Unfortunately upon arrival, the items were not delivered as anticipated. The first phone call we made was to request the deli items. Several items were delivered, but the order was incomplete. Finally after a second call, all requested deli items were received.

The check in process was atrocious. The ride from the airport took 50 minutes. Check in: another 50 minutes. (Our transfer driver waited this entire time - air conditioning running since our luggage remained in the vehicle until we received the key to the villa. This required a more substantial tip). It was very hot and the waiting area was not air conditioned. No beverages were available. Once it was our turn to check in, we were seated at a desk, where the person assisting us was distracted by multiple interruptions which included, taking restaurant reservations, calling for shuttles, making change, consulting with co-workers, etc. This made the check in process even more tedious. Our offer (through Living Social) was an "all inclusive" deal. Once the check in process was completed, all members of our party were required to sign our names prior to application of plastic bracelets-indicating "all inclusive." Twice during our meals we were questioned about our "all inclusive status" asking us to show proof that we actually purchased it. This was upsetting since we were all wearing bracelets. Restaurant choices for meals included Cibola - but was restricted to certain days of the week, Rose, Bianco, & Sunset Beach. The food and drinks were all wonderful at all locations, as was the service.
Upon arrival to our villa, some rooms had air conditioning others did not. We had to call a few times to complain about the air conditioning problems. The infinity pool (at the villa) is fabulous, however it took 5 days of repeated complaints/requests to fix the pool heater. One day 3 workmen came, but the water remained cold. We were hoping to enjoy swimming at night but that was not possible. The whirlpool hot tub was great but only 3-4 people fit.
The view in Phase I is very nice, but the roads are all uphill so forget about taking a walk- the roads are too steep! You have to take a taxi, or shuttle (arrives in 15-30 minutes) when leaving the property. Once you are in your villa, there is nowhere else to go. Nothing is in walking distance. Phase II is newer and closer to the beach but you still can not walk to the beach (due to the narrow winding steep roads. If you like to take walks along the beach, you need to stay at either Rose', Blanco, or Sunset Beach (hotel rooms). Pacifica is beautiful, however children are not allowed.

Phase II requires golf carts as the main mode of transportation. Golf cart rides were certainly an adventure in and of itself! Again, the property is hilly and you can not walk along these paths for fear of getting hit by a golf cart. (It rained one day and unfortunately, you will get wet while being shuttled from one area to another on a golf cart. Not all golf carts had plastic enclosures available.

Beware at the airport because there are time share people everywhere. We did get roped into attending a time share presentation. Upon arrival at the Montecristo (after the long check in process, we were directed to "Rebekah" who also tried to get us to sign up for a time share presentation. When we declined she became extremely rude and pushy.

The weather was gorgeous and HOT- 88 degrees by day/70's in the evening.
As part of the time share shuffle...we received passes for a Sunset Cruse- via Sunset Escape. The crew was very entertaining. This was about a 2 1/2 hr cruise that included dinner, (fajita bar) but heads up - it was a "Booze Cruise." You can choose to participate or simply stay on the lower deck and enjoy the view. We could have also gone on a glass bottom boat tour but the boats were small and since we had a small child with us, we felt it was not very safe.

To recap: Pool heater was broken; deli request was not available as promised on arrival; air conditioning problems; Rude Salesperson; distracted staff (both during check in and check out); all inclusive proof was requested twice while trying to enjoy a relaxing dinner. Unprofessional check in/check out process. (I forgot to mention the name was incorrect on our reservation card upon arrival; when questioned whose names were on the reservation, they simply crossed out the incorrect names stating, "don't worry about it, it's fixed in the computer." We felt this original error contributed to the confusion over our "all inclusive" status).

When we complained to our concierge; Edgar was very apologetic. He credited our deli charges, but since we were considered "good customers" who purchased and paid for an "all inclusive" stay; Edgar could not offer us any other credit. We felt penalized for having paid for an all inclusive stay - and what we received was less than 5 star accommodations.

In retrospect, traveling as a family (2 couples, a single, and 1 child) - it made sense to have a villa. If traveling as a couple, I would recommend Rose', Sunset Beach, Pacifica, or Fiesta Americana NOT the Pueblo Bonito Montecristo.

Living Social offer for this trip was $5400 - 5 nights, 6 days "all inclusive." 50 % off.

I hope you found this review helpful.

Room Tip: Villa #59 is on a dead end street- the road is very steep and you have to be careful getting in and...
4 Thank Donna M