“A trip to Cabo with my boys to try some off road car racing.”

Wide Open Cabo - Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Now you get to experience the thrill in the driver’s seat! In the heart of the untamed Baja peninsula you get to drive in the safety of our custom built race cars, always within radio-shot of our experienced guides and the professional support crew of Wide Open Excursions! The closed course track is just outside Cabo San Lucas. Wide Open Cabo’s Baja Challenge (BC) racecars are not “dune buggies” or “sand rails”; they are the same cars that race in the Baja 1000. With Wide Open Adventures you will experience the thrill of racing in the Baja 1000. You will slide around sandy berms, view scenic trails, capture the true beauty of the Baja peninsula while safely strapped into a suspended racing seat by a 5-point safety harness system. Wide Open Cabo’s racecars are powered by 4 cylinder 2 liter engines that provide almost 200 hp. They are outfitted with off-road racing suspension and shock absorbers that provide 18” of suspension travel. We run exclusively on BF Goodrich All Terrain TA and Mud Terrain TA Tires. Each car is equipped with a 2 way radio system, internal intercom system, global positioning system, and fresh air filter.For as little as $395.00 USD, plus tax, you can strap yourself in one of our purpose built off-road race cars. Our staff will explain the safety precautions and provide you with some tips on how to handle these thrilling desert machines before tackling our off-road course. Three options are available, and while none of them require previous off-road experience, these cars have manual transaxles so experience in driving a standard shift vehicle is helpful.
Reviewed June 18, 2018

I just treated my two boys to a half day off road racing experience with Wide Open Cabo and can't say enough how much fun we had. All three of us are experienced Motocross Racers and a blast honing in our skills on their 5-mile off road course.

This is the real deal and you can go as fast as your skills will take you.

Our host Angel was the best, First class transportation from Cabo to the track and he took care of all of our needs throughout the day.

These guys are great and I highly recommend to anyone to give them a try if you want to sample off road car racing without spending $300K

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"adrenaline junkie"
"baja desert"

Reviewed June 14, 2018 via mobile

We had a great time with an excellent guide (Angel). The cars were awesome, and more than powerful enough for Motocross racers like ourselves. The hospitality was top notch, the track was amazing and the whole experience was worth every second. Definite recommendation for others to try out Wide Open Baja's class 10 cars. Looking forward to going again!

Reviewed June 12, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went and rode these yesterday! Angel was our guide! Extremely serious about the safety instructions and for good reason. These are fast cars and you can hurt yourself if you are not careful and smart. I did a couple labs with my husband and I was done! To fast for me, BUT let me telll you my husband had the best time! He Loved the track and wants to come back and do it again!! The customer service was outstanding and Angel and crew were Awesome! They give you helmets with great radio system between driver and passenger and the car and Angel!

Reviewed June 10, 2018

I'd give this six stars if I could! Definitely worth it. From the time we stepped outside the terminal and found Darrin to the time they took us back to the airport, every single thing was thought of and taken care of. They are true professionals and do a great job. First off, they are serious when they talk about safety. These are true race cars (ours was in the Baja 1000 last November) and they must be properly handled or you can do some serious damage to yourself, others or the surroundings. Darrin, Andrea and Mike were our leaders and they did a fantastic job instructing us and guiding us on the radio. Lots of "stuff" pops up on your journey (cows, cars, people, debris) and they are there to call it out and help you get through it. There are some really tough driving sections (almost straight uphill in first gear with the pedal pinned to the floor and you and your co-driver hanging on for dear life) and some awesome long straightaways where you can truly open the car up and rip across the desert. By the way, the clutch on these cars takes some getting used to (it's a race car, after all, not your Honda Civic buttery soft clutch) and I stalled out plenty but got the hang of it. This coming from a guy who's never owned a stick shift before. Instructors were very helpful and patient! Food at your stops for lunch and dinner is out of this world good. Unless you've been here before (I hadn't), you'll discover Mexican dishes unlike anything you've tasted before. Be adventurous inside and outside the car and you will have the adventure of a lifetime! Highly recommend.