“It was an awesome time! One of best excursions”

Wide Open Cabo - Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Now you get to experience the thrill in the driver’s seat! In the heart of the untamed Baja peninsula you get to drive in the safety of our custom built race cars, always within radio-shot of our experienced guides and the professional support crew of Wide Open Excursions! The closed course track is just outside Cabo San Lucas. Wide Open Cabo’s Baja Challenge (BC) racecars are not “dune buggies” or “sand rails”; they are the same cars that race in the Baja 1000. With Wide Open Adventures you will experience the thrill of racing in the Baja 1000. You will slide around sandy berms, view scenic trails, capture the true beauty of the Baja peninsula while safely strapped into a suspended racing seat by a 5-point safety harness system. Wide Open Cabo’s racecars are powered by 4 cylinder 2 liter engines that provide almost 200 hp. They are outfitted with off-road racing suspension and shock absorbers that provide 18” of suspension travel. We run exclusively on BF Goodrich All Terrain TA and Mud Terrain TA Tires. Each car is equipped with a 2 way radio system, internal intercom system, global positioning system, and fresh air filter.For as little as $395.00 USD, plus tax, you can strap yourself in one of our purpose built off-road race cars. Our staff will explain the safety precautions and provide you with some tips on how to handle these thrilling desert machines before tackling our off-road course. Three options are available, and while none of them require previous off-road experience, these cars have manual transaxles so experience in driving a standard shift vehicle is helpful.
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I treated my husband for our anniversary to this tour. I was definitely nervous but it turned out great and it was a lot of fun, no need to be nervous.

David was our guide and he was great, he explained the process very thoroughly and was a great guide. We had so much fun, my husband would like to do an whole day excursion next time. I would recommend this tour to anyone who likes adventure or wants to experience something different. It is not the cheapest tour you will take but it is worth every penny of the price!!

As my husband tells everyone, it was the best thing he has ever done on vacation!! and I thoroughly enjoyed it as well!! So do it for a once in a lifetime experience!!

1  Thank Anita A

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I took my husband to the taste of Baja tour as a wedding present and let me tell you it was one of the best experiences we have ever had! Our tour guide, Roy, really explained how to work the car and made the trip feel like we were on our own adventure instead of a total "guided" follow the leader experience like the other tours out in Cabo. I would recommend this tour to anyone who loves a fun adventure, fast cars, and a good time! The best part is Roy made us feel part of his team by sharing stories on our breaks and teaching my husband how to hit the jumps harder and showed us a real taste of this experience! I also enjoyed the cold beer at the end of the tour! It really put the cherry on top of an amazing adventure! I hope to do this again soon and will definitely go for the full day one so we can have more time racing around the Baja!

Reviewed April 30, 2012

My husband and I had a great time driving the Baja Challenge cars at Wide Open Cabo. David was a thorough and friendly guide and the driving was great! Make sure you call for your reservation. I emailed several times with no response. Once I connected with a sales person, my reservation was quickly accomplished. The staff in Cabo was friendly, fun and competent. Very service oriented with safety at the forefront. I nice diversion to the surf and sand activities in Cabo. Fabulous if you are a car/race fan. We did the 1/3 day at the ranch. Ran a 5 mile course where we did several laps to a break, changed drivers, drove more then finished up. A nice cold cervase at the end.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

My 11 year old son and I ventured out to Wide Open's five mile track outside Cabo. What a terrific father son activity! This was one of the most memorable things we have done together.

The Wide Open offices are located a few blocks from Medano Beach in Cabo San Lucas. The office staff are friendly and knowledgeable. We were offered a cold bottle of water and a nice outside lounge to wait for our transportation to the track. Buy your t-shirts before you leave the office...the return transportation will drop you off directly at your hotel or resort.

The ride from the office to the track took about 30 minutes. The morning spots were full so we signed up for an afternoon spot. One group dropped AND WE HAD THE TRACK TO OURSELVES! We received pre-race instruction. They carefully fit us with helmets and added some extra padding to the passenger seat so my son had a good view.

The cars are REAL baja racers. You need to be able to operate a manual transmission (aka a stick shift.) Don't wear 'nice' clothes because you are going to get dirty. I'd also suggest a pair of sunglasses. The cars have no windshield. Your helmet will have a clear visor but I'm glad I brought shades.

We followed our instructor for two laps around the track. We came in for pitstop. Got out of the car for a snack and a little more instruction. It's best to drift through the turns so a review how to attack them was helpful after two laps.

We got back in the car and took two last laps around the track. We were noticeably faster drifting around the curves and pushing ourselves in the straightaways.

While we were on the course, their staff used our camera to take some great action photos. I felt this was an example of how the Wide Open staff focuses on your experience rather than trying to sell you more stuff like other excursions.

Afterwards, we had snacks, a cold drink and a fun conversation about baja racing. The ride back to our resort (provided by Wide Open as a part of the cost) was filled talk of the days great experience.

We enjoyed the drive so much we are planning on doing the 1 day lunch run to La Paz next year.

TWO LAST ITEMS-

The concierge at our resort, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, was not willing to book the reservation for us. From what I can determine, Wide Open will not pay the level of commission they demand. Of course, they were happy to suggest an outing that will. WIDE OPEN IS THE REAL DEAL. Accept no substitutes!

Two days later, we were doing the zip line at Wild Canyon were I saw a video highlighting Wide Open. I asked the manager about the connection. He indicated that Wild Canyon and Wide Open were planning to construct a 20 mile track in the area. That would be a great location, if they could pull it off.

2  Thank DeephavenDad
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I had a great experience at Wide Open in Cabo last week. It was just me and Roy on the track as there were no other bookings that afternoon. I had a chance to really push the car and see if I could keep up to Roy. Great cars and a great overall experience. Thanks guys! Next time it's the multi-day for me...