“Okay, not great”

Pancho's Restaurant & Tequila Bar
Ranked #55 of 560 Restaurants in Cabo San Lucas
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sacramento, California
“Okay, not great”
Reviewed November 30, 2008

I read the reviews of this restaurant and thought I might try it. I wasn't impressed. Of course, the service was outstanding which is the norm in Cabo.

We shared combo plate, including steak, chicken, and ribs. The ribs were really good, but the steak was on the rubbery side and chicken was just okay. We also had guacamole which was excellent.

If you are eating near the sidewalk, or in one of the booths inside the restaurant near the sidewalk, watch out for vendors. We were bothered several times during our meal by vendors and small children outside the restaurant trying to sell their merchandise.

1 Thank staceywalk

Baltimore
“great spot..”
Reviewed October 22, 2008

found this by accident--great little spot with good service and food. Very reasonable--
bill was $50 per couple including drinks--
fish taco's were awesome-

Orange County, California
“Good breakfast, excellent Tequila tasting”
Reviewed October 7, 2008

This is a gringo-owned establishment on a side street in downtown Cabo. We wandered upon the spot one morning looking for breakfast. Good find! Obviously, the place must be listed in American guide books or cruise ship directories because during the 3 or 4 times we were here it was filled with American tourists.

The restaurant is clean and the waiters are friendly. A large bar is located behind the seating area with tequila bottles covering nearly an entire wall. The decor is colorful and fun.

Our breakfast was hot and fresh, served with good chips and salsa. I had the chicaquiles, which are essentially breakfast nachos, and my wife had huevos rancheros. Both were values for Cabo at about $5 each. At the end, I was full and happy.

We made a reservation and returned later in the week for tequila tasting. It was a bit expensive at $50 per person, but well worth it if you are a tequila fan. We had a private tasting with the tequila master, Jose, that lasted well over an hour. Jose was very knowledgeable, funny and kind. With a tequila selection of 500+ to choose from, Jose went out of his way to pick the best match for our tastes and to show us some unusual offerings from small Mexican producers.

I don’t remember (for obvious reasons) the number of shots we were given, but it was enough that the price of the tasting was not unreasonable. The tequila and education from Jose was well worth it and we would do it again in an instant. Thanks to Jose and to Panchos’ owners for their hospitality.

Houston
“Nice atmosphere”
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Like most restaurants in the area it is a little expensive, but we enjoyed the friendly service and music, as well as the food. It is not air conditioned, but the tables near the front were comfortable even on a hot day. The margaritas were excellent. I had the carne asada tacos which were very good.

1 Thank captainmcd
Seattle, Washington
“Tequila School!”
Reviewed May 23, 2008

A group of friends and I enjoyed an evening meal at Poncho's. We were taken there by another friend who lives in the area. I'll estimate that at least a quarter of the diners were locals - a plus in my opinion.
We were originally taken to a table in the back, too close to the kitchen burners for our lungs. We were re-sat at a big front table in the window, Perfect place to see and be seen and enjoy the evening breeze.
Tequila flowed like metered water! I'll be honest in my recollections. I don't recall what all my friends ordered. But I ordered the Carne Asada and split it with a friend (the local) who ordered the Chile Reijanos (I know I didn't spell that right, the stuffed peppers). The flavours of both dishes were well blended. Service was prompt and delightful. The meal was above average and the atmosphere was welcoming.

Poncho's also boasts of having over 500 tequilas in stock. And that is so true! We noticed a glassed off room with locked shelves and inquired - and learned that they conduct 'Tequila School' as well. So a friend and I made reservations one afternoon and attended. We sat in the temperature controlled enclave (can't wait to get my photos back!) We started with the lowest, most basic Joven Tequila and went through about 10 types and brands. INCREDIBLE experience! The instructor was very informative and, although I had read books about tequila and had much of the information tucked away in my brain, actually tasting the different spirits really cemented the information. The price was only $50, and was more than worth it!!!!!

I rate the restaurant as slightly above average, and the Tequila School as INCREDIBLE!!!!

2 Thank TraveLoveRN