“Outstanding Sushi, but you pay for it!!”
Review of Nick-San

Nick-San
Ranked #95 of 615 Restaurants in Cabo San Lucas
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Took most of the family to Nik San for sushi dinner and even those who are not normal sushi enthusiasts enjoyed the food.

Black and White Tuna Sashimi was the best I have ever eaten. But you definately expect good food as the prices are also some of the highest in town.

1  Thank Joe E

Reviewed December 27, 2009

We thought we'd try some sushi in Cabo as we are sushi lovers. My husband comes from a line of sushi chefs in Japan but we are not sushi snobs by any means. We like a good conveyor belt sushi place as much as the next guy :) We read that Nick San was the place to go for sushi in Cabo so off we went.

It's a very nice place with a nice atmosphere. We were seated and drink orders taken. Drinks delivered. No menus. We actually had to ask for menus.

It was some serious sticker shock when we got the menus. Most of their roll sushi is around $25 EACH. For those who are raw fish afraid, you can order beef teriyaki for a meager $30! Since we had kids with us, we opted for the chicken teriyaki at $18. Ouch. Now, we will pay for good sushi so we ordered up and hoped for the best.

While we were waiting, a waiter walked by and dropped a plate of sushi on the floor, shards of plate hitting us at the feet. Not a peep. No apology, nothing. I just got the impression that these waiters were a little on the snooty side. There was no casual conversation like we have had at every other place we have been to in Cabo. It was much like being back in the US in a swanky place that doesn't have time for you. Sad.

The food came. My husband's chirashi sushi at $30 was seriously miniscule. It was in a small-ish rice bowl, not a donburi size bowl or a box like it should be. The rice was bad and the fish was very small and did not taste fresh. There really is no excuse for that being in Mexico. It came with 5 small and thin slices of fish, one of which was fake crab. My 2 rolls were really substandard. I also ordered a spicy tuna hand roll which was actually quite good. The teriyaki? We get more and better at our local teriyaki place in Seattle for $5.

We were really disappointed. We had really looked forward to good sushi as Cabo is right on the sea and all about the fish. I hate to write such a bad review but I want you to know to not make the same mistake we did. Go to Maro's Shrimp House if you want some seafood and you'll pay a fraction of the cost for great food and experience.

2  Thank firecrackerjulie
Reviewed December 2, 2009

OK so being a local I can tell you that my choice for the best all around restaurant in Cabo is Nick-San, theyre sushi is amazing, the service is excellent, and the restaurant is well appointed and has a nice ambiance.

There is a reason why its so busy and thats because its excellent, Ive had sushi everywhere in the world, and this is on the same level of any that ive had in Manhattan or Los Angeles.

So Nick-San is expensive? Yes it is, but your paying for the experience, that means food, service, and all the rest. I have been dissapointed maybe twice in my whole life with the restaurant, and whatever the problem was, it was corrected by the owners.

So if you want a Locals advice, its that this is the best! If youve got one night to splurge on dinner this should be the place.

Reviewed September 14, 2009

Ok I have had a lot of sushi from a lot of different places but this place is BY FAR the BEST sushi that I have ever had! The tuna and crab in particular, had probably been caught that morning and was so tender....just melted in my mouth! It was a little expensive but worth it!

Reviewed August 10, 2009

This was hands down the best sushi that I have ever eaten in my life! You must order the sashimi cilantro. The sauce is so YUMMY! We sat at the bar and Carlitos was our chef and took such good care of us! He answered all our questions, took time to describe all the different types of fish, and kept the food coming! It was the fastest I have ever been served at a restaurant. If you are a sushi fan this restaurant is a must!