“Nick San Palmilla Shops Location”
Review of Nick-San

Nick-San
Ranked #84 of 588 Restaurants in Cabo San Lucas
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I've been a fan of the downtown Cabo location for years, alway solid Sushi that's a little overpriced but so is Cabo in general. On the way out of town decided to have lunch at the Palmilla Shops location, figured it would be a nice treat before our departure.

Unfortunately it was like eating at a completely different restaurant. The server was slow, got our order wrong and the food was so poorly made that we couldn't even eat it all. Fish was severely over cooked, Chicken was like rubber and seemed like it came out from a microwave. The huge kicker, lunch for 3 was about $100 and I had a better meal at Los Claros for $8.

Note to owners, this location should be completely shut down or redone, if I wasn't on my way out I would have had a word with the manager and sent all the food back.

Get it together, one of the worst meals I've had anywhere in years.

David Ireland

1  Thank David I
There are newer reviews for Nick-San

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Our hotel (Esperanza) recommended Nick-San as a nice change from Mexican food. It is probably the best sashimi that we have eaten; very fresh with amazing flavors. We found the service to be very friendly and attentive. The atmosphere is nothing to write home about; lots of t.v.'s tuned to various sports channels. Definitely worth trying if you are looking for fresh, tasty sushi/sashimi during your visit.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is not Sushi restaurant actually. We cannot expect typical Sushi which we get used to in Japan or in your area if there is Japanese chef. We ordered CHIRASHI-SUSHI for lunch but it contains 100-150g of sushi rice and 6-7 pieces of small sashimi ( 1 Tuna, 1 Yellow tail, 2 (small pieces )Squid, 1 Clam, 1 Octopus, Fake crab !!!) .
My complaint is this poor dish cost US$30 !!! If we eat much better one Even in central of New York City it does not cost like this. Off course if we pay $30 we get much better one for sure. Usually Chirashi-Sushi contains 10-12 pieces of Sashimi and serve with miso-soup. One more complain is that Tako(octopus) is from frozen... I think they can catch octopus there, this means they can get raw one. If it's cheaper price, I can afford it. They can't trick my tongue.

I understand we should not expect same quality as Japanese Sushi but ! This is the worst one but the most expensive sushi in my life. If you go to a very nice sushi restaurant in Tokyo and to eat Chirashi-sushi, if you pay US$30, you will see fantastic one.If you would like to eat with your stomach full, you have to prepare $100-150 / person for sure. Off course without beverage !
I always am glad to pay money for things which have correct value, but this made us so disappointed at the last minute for the trip. I haven't had this kind of experience for several years. This reminds me that IN & OUT burger in California is awesome. ( This hamburger chain never use frozen foods).

2  Thank FarmVegeBoy
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had heard about this place a few years ago and decided to give it a try. I looked at the menu online and saw how expensive it was for basic sushi and rolls, but we figured we would try it and see what the fuss is about. I'm still trying to work that out a week later. With a menu in this price range I expected a fabulous décor. It felt old to me and out of date and resembled a sports bar with all the TVs on sports.

The tuna tostada was by far the best thing on the menu. We loved the pic of the black and white tuna ($24usd) on the website only for it to come out extremely thin sliced (10 paper thin slices) and swimming in sauce. I couldn't taste how truly fresh this fish must be given how expensive. All you get is sauce. We then ordered the chef's choice of sashimi and it was really good with a nice portion (but pricey still). Next we ordered a special roll of the evening. It was a shrimp tempura, crab and either tuna or salmon on the outside (not special) and was swimming in a very salty sauce. We couldn't even eat it. We had to send that back and we then replaced it with the sake lemon roll ($26usd). Once again the roll itself was incredibly noncreative with a sauce that was once again salty. The lemon helped cut it thank goodness but would never order that again. The service was ok. The guy assisting the waiter was phenominal. He was constantly refilling my beer, clearing up after my kids, etc. He was the star of the evening for sure. Our main waiter looked bothered to serve us the entire time.

To charge these kind of prices, they definitely need to step it up about 15 notches in the creative department and lay off the sodium. Its okay if you enhance the taste of the fish with a sauce but to completely cover its taste is definitely not okay. Also would suggest detailing what is in the rolls themselves. The waiter wasn't exactly thrilled to have to work through the rolls with us. We also noticed tables around us order things not on the menu like edamame, fried rice etc. This would have been useful information with our kids there and not having a kid menu after we asked what they had for kids. All in all this place is way too expensive for what it actually is. I wish we would have saved our money and went elsewhere. 170usd and we left disappointed and hungry.

3  Thank sabrusley
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We ate a mid day snack here and it was wonderful. My husband loves his sushi and I am not a huge partaker, but they made me two vegie rolls that were OUTSTANDING and could easily convert me to the other side! It is spendy so I am glad we only ate a small meal here. If your are a sushi fan, it's a must do.