“If you want a good Hotel stay away from this one”
Review of Caldecott Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fritton
Caldecott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Fritton B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I have never been treated with such contempt as a paying client, to be informed by the receptionist that the hotel had new owners and would not honor previous bookings and that I should contact the company who I booked through and ask for a refund, yet when I asked the receptionist if I could book a room with the new owners for the dates I had booked I was told I could be the costs had been increased by the new owners, well stayed here under the old owners and would have again but there is no way I will stay here when the new management have such a poor attitude to paying clients and will recommend to friends, family and clients that they do not book here again also.
Poor service, cold rooms, bad food service and bar service seem to be the new way for this hotel now, would not recommend this hotel to anyone now as under new management.

• Stayed: March 2013
CaldecottManager, Manager at Caldecott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Hello

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment. Unfortunately as the hotel is under new ownership, we were unable to accept any Groupon bookings. We have informed Groupon and asked them to refund any customers who have booked.

The room prices at Caldecott Hall Hotel had not been changed since 2009 and so upon takeover, it was decided to make a very modest increase the room cost, in order to make the business more sustainable.

We hope that you will visit us again in the future and will endeavor to ensure that future visits are a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very poor service, waited 1hr 50mins for cod and chips which incidentally was the only thing offered to us! Very cold and even colder staff. Our table was booked so we hadn't just 'turned up'. We were not shown to a table on arrival so we just sat where we thought we ought to and no one asked if we wanted drinks, the bar was very poorly stocked, all in all a complete disaster. This place has so much potential but at the moment I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy, sorry!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
CaldecottManager, Manager at Caldecott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

We are sorry to hear of you experience at Caldecott Hall Hotel.

The hotel was taken over by new management last week, so we will be taking all of your comments on board and endeavoring to make sure that future stays with us are a much more positive experience

Reviewed March 17, 2013

turned up at the "fully booked" caldecott hall yesterday to find a very empty car park. we was greeted at reception by a very shattered looking fella in his jeans and fleece who informed us he'd only taken over that morning and smelt like he'd combated the stress of this by drinking what was left of the bar. still, onward and upward i thought. we was given the key to our "upgrade honeymoon suit" and kind of pointed into the direction where we might find it.
the hallway leading to the room was quite warm, if only the same could be said for the room itself! icy cold would pretty much sum it up, tho this atleast matched the water that flowed from the "hot" tap...there was nothing about the room that screamed honey moon suit at us, more travelodge.
after a bit of "chilling" we thought we'd chance our arm in the bar. after standing around for sometime wondering if the place had been abandoned, we was again greeted by the same fella from reception, who it became apparent was the soul worker that night. my wife asked for a glass of merlot, and after a lot of checking of bottles in the bar, leaving to check elsewhere and general fannying about' settled for a gin and tonic, and got tonic and gin! i enquired if the bottled beer was cold...NO. was the answer, and there was only one draft left until they restocked. we was then told our "bangers and mash" were nearly ready, which was a suprise as we'd ordered none...so, there we sat, in a cold empty bar, with warm drinks watching the news on telly...living the dream! i didn't fancy sampling anything from the kitchen to be honest so we decided the 2hr drive home would be more enjoyable...and that's what we done. just over a 2hr stay was more than enough at that shambles...

Room Tip: My tip, go home!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked this for my daughter and her husband for her 40th birthday. I was looking after their two children so they could have a well deserved weekend away. I received a telephone call from my daughter ayt 7.30 pm stating that they were coming home. It had been a very cold day which they spent in Norwich before going onto the hotel. She said when they got there there was only one man on duty. He said he had taken over the hotel that morning! The room was freezing cold, there was no hot water and the only thing on the menu was sausage and mash because he was cooking it!. My son-in-law had a beer which was flat and the hotel which was supposed to have been fully booked only had one other couple staying.
So much for my birthday treat for my daughter. They had a completely dissapointing experience!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello

We are sorry to hear of your daughter's experience at Caldecott Hall Hotel.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

After a truly awful week where nothing went right we arrived for our break at Caldecott Hall. When we arrived we found that the new owner had only taken over that afrernoon. We immediately assumed that our break was going to be a continuation of our Weeks bad luck. How wrong we were. The hotel exceeded our expectations. The rooms and grounds are lovely. The new owner very welcoming and our meals were just what we needed. This is a little gem and we will certainly return. The only fault we found was that the car park into the actual hotel was not clearly marked. As we arrived after dark we managed to miss the turning. However the owner confirmed it was going to be done.

• Stayed: March 2013

Hello

Thank you for your kind words and comments regarding your stay at Caldecott Hall Hotel.

We are glad your enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just got back from a 'two night' stay at Caldecott Hall. A present bought by our two children for
our wedding anniversary. I now realise I should have looked at 'TripAdvisor' BEFORE checking
in at this venue. Whilst checking in we were asked 'did we want dinner that evening', we said that we hadn'nt made our mind up but would look at menu, we were then handed a menu only to be told that the menu had been printed before they realised that they had not got several of the ingredient's so half the menu was unavailable. !!! THIS WAS JUST THE START of things to come.
We got to our room (room 4 ) which on entry we realised there had been no heating on for some time, it was 'freezing'. We made a hot drink and then decided to see what the rest of the hotel was like. The lounge/ bar was 'very tired' looking and because of a 'bad back' I was unable to sit on any of the chairs, then my husband thought he would have a 'beer' NO BEER.!!
So we then went back to our room, I thought I'd look at the lovely view from our window,!!! only to see run down buildings and the Hotel's rubbish bins. We decided to then go out for a ride to find somewhere warm and somewhere to sit. On our return around 9pm we were met by a 'young lady' who was then locking up the bar and lounge area. We took ourselves to bed to get ourselves warm. In the morning we went to breakfast, which to be fair 'no complaints', plus the young lady who served us was very friendly, we said of the cold room and asked if there was any type of heater we could have for our room to which she replied yes of course and went and got us a 'fan heater' which made the world of difference, to not only our room but also the bathroom which was also 'freezing' up till then. After warming up the room for a while we decided where to go out for the best part of the day, as there was no where at the Hotel in which to stay. However on our return at 3pm we found ourselves LOCKED OUT OF THE HOTEL, !!! At this point I was furious we waited around for over 30mins, the only telephone no. on the front of the Hotel was the 'alarm co.' We then got in the car and drove round to the back of the Hotel to where the Golf reception was, my husband explained our situation to the receptionist, who was at a loss of what to do or say. Although she then said 'had we not been given a key to let ourselves in'!! My husband then realised there was a further key on the key ring with our 'room key'. We then went back to the main entrance and door, and YES WE DID HAVE A MAIN ENTRANCE KEY TO THIS HOTEL. So we then let ourselves in, there was NOBODY AT ALL in the Hotel but us !! All inner doors were locked. We then went out to eat later at around 7pm, still nobody in the Hotel. The next morning we were met by a 'young man'
who said 'yes we were the only guests' that night and he was 'multi tasking' that morning, ie cooking breakfasts and anything else that needed doing, he was most 'charming' and said he had been there 'two weeks'.
The whole experience was completely 'bizarre'
We met someone who 'booked' us in, (never saw again,) a waitress, (never saw again,) a bar lady, ( never saw again,) then a young man at breakfast who said 'goodbye' to us.

Room Tip: Do not go there. It's the best tip I can give.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 11, 2013

7th wedding anniversary, hooray, so we booked a room at Caldecott hall. The lovely manager Paul and I exchanged emails prior to our stay and he gave us a free upgrade to the bridal/honeymoon suite as it was our special occasion! We were very excited after not ever having a child free night in the past 8 years, and for the past three years we've been sharing a double bed with a toddler and a labrador.
We arrived alongside another couple (who we didn't know, for those of you with dirty minds!), and went to the reception to check in. Nobody there....ring bell....nothing....15 minutes of waiting, bell ringing and exchanging awkward small talk with other couple, lady comes to check us in, offers no apology for the wait despite the male of the other couple literally dragging her out of the staff area. Checked in. Went to room, excited, feels ice cold but that's a minor issue (we are still wearing coats!!!). Light on, SHOCK!! TWO single beds! Not the romantic room we were promised. Back to reception, wait 10 minutes, lady comes, all rooms taken and although she was lovely, her only advise was to push both beds together!! Ok, well we're an easy couple and not much bothers us, and not to let the minor issue of single beds put us off, we venture back to the room. Heck it was COLD!!! Heating on full blast but never took off the edge (main thermostat for the entire building must be on so low to save money)...Push beds together, easy, they're on wheels. No hook to put them together and once you're anywhere near the crack they separate resulting in husband falling through (was my highlight of the stay)! Ok so cold, we'll have a hot drink, 2 tea bags, lots of sugar, couple of sachets of coffee and 2, yes TWO little pots of milk and a pack of biscuits which looked like they had been stampled over by a herd of elephants. OK neither of us like black tea/coffee so we heads/tails it to see who can have the hot drink as neither of us fancy lingering around the reception area for another 10-15 minutes. He won. I run bath. Water pressure so low, water trickles but hallelujah, after 12 minutes, the water begins to get lukewarm. Half an hour later I was sitting in a half filled bath admiring the dirty soil pipes of the toilet when my husband joined me producing the complementary Molton Brown shower gel (was impressed!) and he offered to scrub my back. Knock on the door (several times) - not sure who/what they wanted? Very cold, run to our separate beds wrapped in our towels and thought we'd take full advantage of having no toddler or labradors in our bed, and went straight to sleep. Not quite the romantic evening we wanted!
After a bad sleep (not the hotel's fault, except the coldness), I thought I'd have a shower, ran the bloody thing for 15 minutes and never any heat. Had a cold wash in the sink. Breakfast: sat down in the cold room, wasn't given an option of breakfast, just asked whether we'd like mushrooms and tomatoes with our fry up! Breakfast was greasy but the bacon and sausage was lovely. Then I went into shock. INSTANT COFFEE at breakfast? Come on guys? It's 2013, I seriously believe that fresh coffee is compulsory in hotels, no? We left almost immediately - the coffee was the deal breaker!
This place has so much potential to be a wonderful place, but the coldness, the lac of hot water and the scrimping and saving on the room sundries and the coffee at breakfast just make this hotel, which could potentially be amazing seem more like a youth hostel.
In all seriousness, we could have got over the bed/room situation despite the disappointment, but the little things and attention to detail are overlooked, this place has so much potential but the way it is currently being run is just driving it into the ground. Such a shame and thanks for ruining our anniversary (joking); you're just lucky we aren't fussy customers as I think most other couples in our situation would have complained so much or demanded their money back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Regards

Been to Caldecott Hotel? Share your experiences!