See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Having spent the weekend prior to Christmas at Caldecott Hall we have to say that we were extremly disppointed. The hotel & location is fine but sadly lacking in other aspects
Firstly, The lack of staff was very apparent from the time we arrived.
Next, each one of the few staff although they worked hard and tried their best, it didn't stop them telling us how unhappy and disgruntled they were ( we really didn't need this )
We appreciate that the hotel wasn't full but we didn't expect to have to sit wait for the chef to arrive after 9am to cook breakfast.Saturdays breakfast was OK but Sundays breakfast was a disgrace.
We had originally invited two friends to dinner on Saturday evening, in the event they couldn't join us , a blessing in disguise as we would have been embarassed by the standard of the meal and bar shortages.
When I booked I was advised that the hotel restaurant wasn't open on Sunday evenings...which I accepted but wasn't informed until the Sunday morning that the whole hotel was closed and that we would be unable to use the lounge or get a drink at the bar.
We booked this stay to include golf...but the course was closed due to cold weather on Sunday & Monday so we couldn't play.
We could have used the Barn Works (pool & gym) but there were no therapists on site to use any of the treatments.
I feel that I have been sold a package that was not as advertised and had any management person been available to speak to when we checked out I would certainly have disputed the charges. We did write to complain and were offered a free 4 ball & lunch but as we have no intentions of playing in the area in the future, we requested a part refund instead. All emails since to the hotel have been ignored.I now feel as if I've been robbed.
In summary the whole experience was over priced, under staffed and understocked.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Jan G, General Manager at Caldecott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Since your visit in December 2011 the hotel is under new management. We have a new team of staff who are happy to serve our guests whether resident or non resident and that the issues you mention have have now been sorted out.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

This hotel came recommended to me as I was looking for a quiet hotel on the outskirts of Great Yarmouth whilst on business. I did not arrive until late but received a warm welcome upon check in. The Hotel checked if I wanted an evening meal and also confirmed at what time I would like to take Breakfast the next morning.
I took my meal in the Bar rather than the main restaurant and the full menu was available. The menu was diverse and good value for the money. The food is cooked to a high standard and the portions were of a generous size. The service was great and had that personal touch which is great credit to the hotel.
I had a standard double room which was clean spacious and comfortable and had an undisturbed nights sleep. The room has a Flatscreen TV and access to Freeview TV and there is free WI-FI access although I did not use it. The bathroom was clean and fairly modern and in addition the hotel provide Molton Brown toiletries.
Breakfast is served in the Restaurant and there is a choice of Continental or a Full English Breakfast and again the standards are high.
I would definitely stay here again whether it be for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2011

We visited the golf course and had a lovely round of golf. Pristine grounds. The hall itself
was very picturesque and everywhere it was very clean and well presented. Then we
came to have a meal.

Well if you have two hours to spend just to ask for a drink, order your meal and actually receive it, that is OK. Couldn´t critisize the food it was everything we could ask for, when we
finally got someone to take the order and then for it to be served.

To pay for it was just the same. We had find someone to take our money. Just as well we were honest.

Therefore, by all means stay there but do not expect to be served in a respectable amount of time.

Room Tip: We did not actually stay only had a meal.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2011

This hotel is half a mile from the road, and when you arrive at the hotel you cannot help to see that the gardens are a picture. We were greeted by Hannah a very bright and most helpful young lady. She looked after us well. We were in the Caldicate suite which was spacious clean comfortable and very very quiet. The restaurant is small and cosy, and whilst the meals may not be award winners yet they are good and more than adequate. The waitresses and even the cleaning staff were so pleasent that we cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Only avoid room 3. It is near the kitchen extractor fans.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Genuinely faultless. A warm reception from the staff; comfortable room; great location. The restaurant is of excellent quality and excellent value. Spent a week here on business and would definitely do so again, or return for a relaxing break.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business