Sandrock Holiday Hostel
$124
$110
$96
$101
Inishowen Gateway Hotel(Buncrana)(Great Value!)
$89
$78
$113
$109
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
The Harbour Inn(Buncrana)(Great Value!)
$84
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Rathmullan House(Rathmullan)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspot of tealounge areasitting roomrodneymargarethostswee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The location is excellent. The hosts were great. My family of three (9 year old) had a private, cozy room (bunk bed: one up, two down, and private bathroom) which was clean and well-provided for. The common room has a killer view and the kitchen is nice. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Rodney en Margaret the owners of this hostel are the best hostesses you can imagine. Not only friendly or hospitable. They give you the feeling to be at home. Rodney takes at least half an hour to informe you about everything you can do in the neighbourhood. He informes you about the aggressive bull or the biting Shetland ponies you will find on your way. He has this printed map he is already using for twenty years and he is pointing down and describing everything on this map. The hostel has two dormetories and one private room.
The hostel itself is clean, welldecorated and has a big kitchen where you can cook your own meal viewing the see and meeting other friendly guests.
The view is overwhelming and dramatic. The see in front of you gives you the possibility to see basker sharks, killer wales and of course dolphins. Sandrock hostel is on the most northerly point of Ireland and when you visit it you will never forget you have being there.
Take your change on this unforgettable experience for only € 12 a night. We recommend this hostel to everyone that is looking for the once in a lifetime experience.

Donegal, the region, where the hostel is situated, is a perfect region for people that are looking for the real Irish feeling. The pubs with the singing Irish people and dramatic scenery.

Sandrock hostel, you don't know what you have missed until you open the door to Rodney's and Margarets place.

Room Tip: There is only a little to pick. There is nothing for Meditarian boatcruisers.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frts
Reviewed July 3, 2013

As you descend the slope to this hostel, the view just gets better and better. Finally, you can't believe that you will be staying in such a stunning location where you can eat outside and take full advantage of the view. The hostel itself is well-appointed with a wealth of information and excellent walk suggestions, which the owner will run through for you as if by rote (he has obviously done this hundreds of times before). I can't recommend the walk round Malin Head highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night, but within hours of arriving my fiancée was asking if we can come back again soon. The owners were wonderful and the hostel itself is one of the most charming we've ever stayed in - the kitchen is well-stocked, there's a wood-burning stove in the living room, the view from the sofa is unbeatable, and the walls are covered in all sorts of great photos, newspaper clippings, maps, etc. We had a great time seeing the sights, collecting stones at the raised beach (my fiancée is a jeweler and should be putting them to great use!), drinking and meeting the locals at the great nearby pubs, and having to borrow cash from our friends to buy all we could possibly carry home from the Curiosity Shop (which had some of the porcelain liquor decanters we'd been unsuccessfully searching for in antique shops literally all over Ireland, among a lot of other great finds). Rodney made sure that all of it went smoothly by providing us with a hand-drawn map and directions to everything there is to do in the area as soon as we arrived.

We will certainly be returning in the summer for some scuba diving sometime soon, and we'll be staying at Sandrock again when we do.

Room Tip: The dorm next to the common area has a great view of the beach!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Sandrock is quite simply my favourite place in the world. I've been there 4 or 5 times in the last 8 years and every time I leave I can't wait to return. The place itself, the location, Rodney, Margaret & Katie the dog are just brilliant.
The cosy living room with the wood-fired stove is a great place to hang out, cook, socialise or read all the local newspaper clippings on the walls. The chairs in the bay window overlooking the ocean are my favourite spot to write. There are two large dorms with 5 bunk beds and bathroom each and outdoor tables for those sunny days. (Malin Head is often the sunniest place in Ireland!)
Sandrock is located right by the ocean and within walking distance of a few pubs, supermarket and the quirky Curiosity Shop. You'll find a range of great walks and all the peace and quiet you can wish for. (Rodney will tell you about the highlights while Margaret makes you a cuppa upon arrival.)
There's not one fault with this hostel - every time I stayed I felt so at home I didn't want to leave (and I have postponed flights before to stay longer).
I've been around a bit but have never found a place that comes close to this. I'll definitely be back, even though I live in NZ now.
Thanks to Rodney and Margaret for some unforgettable stays!

Room Tip: If you like an ocean view, ask for a bed in the dorm next to the living room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple