“Wee bit disappointed.”

Dining options: Reservations
Bathgate
“Wee bit disappointed.”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Being Going regular to the 108 my last visit which was 4th August was very disappointing. Trying to fancy it up while reducing the size of Portions. Also got rid of Stella for a lager I had never heard of.The portions were tiny all fancied up with Salad,but I noticed the Prices had not came down.Cmon 108 JUST STICK TO WHAT YOU ARE GOOD AT !!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank michael l
hilditch, Owner at Bar 108, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Hi, thanks for your comments. We are trying to keep our existing customers and also gain new ones. I hear what you are saying re portions and have rectified this.

Heverlee is a Belgium premium lager and has just been launched to the market. This is a trial period with a mostly posative response.

Thanks again for your valued feedback

Whitburn
“Great staff, very average food”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Popped in for soup and sandwiches - which is not rocket science to prepare - and was very disappointed. The lentil soup was very thin, had much better from a tin! The ham on the sandwich was thin sliced and only one slice and was pretty tasteless, the cheese was nice.
Can't fault the staff in the place, very prompt and efficient service and the restuarant is spotlessly clean - just need to make some improvements with the food!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Brian G
hilditch, Owner at Bar 108, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Hi thanks for your comments. Apologies for the soup on this day. Sandwiches have been looked at and rectified. We hope to see you again.
Armadale
“Good food”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was there for the first time recently.

I had stroganoff, which was nice, the beef was very tender & my husband had a burger which he enjoyed. We were too full for sweets. It was good food, not spectacular but it was all good and I'd go back.

Not a massive big deal, but .. we had just got seated, ordered our meal and a drink, then we were asked to move tables for a larger party to get seated - not a huge deal as we hadn't started our meal yet, but the waitress had very nicely offered to arrange a free drink for our inconvenience as we had to move our drinks/bread roll etc - but when bill came, we'd been charged for the drinks after all, so the goodwill gesture never followed through.
We wouldn't have asked for it as we didn't expect to get it at all, but if it was offered, it should have been given.

Nice restaurant though, lots of windows so its light and airy.

• Visited July 2013
hilditch, Owner at Bar 108, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for your review.
Wishaw, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, fantastic staff and great value”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Mrs and the kids took me to the Hilcroft Hotel restaurant Bar 108 for Father's Day dinner on the Saturday night (she was working on the Sunday) as she had dined here before and recommended. We turned up without making a booking which was a bit daft as it was quite busy and nearly all the tables were reserved. However Margaret went all out and quickly had us seated in a nice big comfy booth. The kids menu was excellent with a great range of food, even for fussy kids like mine. Also a nice touch on the back was a puzzle and a colouring in picture. This and the separate kids play room kept them occupied between courses and they even met new friends while playing.
The adults menu was great and had a nice range of dishes, not too many and not too few with Mexican, Italian, Scottish and Indian meals to chose from. There was even a daily special fixed 2 courser which on this day was Carrot & Coriander soup followed by a Salmon dish that was around the £10 mark - excellent. Anyway I went for the Scottish Scallops with black pudding and chorizo. This is the first time I've had scallops and after trying them, it won't be my last. This dish was amazing, honestly! and the presentation was as good as any from a 4/5 star restaurant (and I took a pic to prove it). I could have had it again for a main course but obviously with a bigger serving. Really couldn't get enough. Black pudding is one of my favourite foods to eat anyway but with the chorizo and the scallops, the combination was just perfect. If you're eating here, you really need to try this!
For the main, I went for rack of lamb with djon mustard and garlic crust with crushed potatoes and carrot gratin. This dish again was excellent and well proportioned. I'm fussy with lamb and if it's even slightly too chewy, I won't eat it. Nothing to worry about here though, it was done just right, great. I also had a side of onion rings which deserve a mention as were handmade (not the cheap frozen perfectly round ones) and came in a huge portion. I had to finish these off and that's the reason I skipped pudding to be honest, I was done in lol, stuffed.
I've not mentioned what my Mrs had to eat as she, like my kids is a fussy eater. She'll kill me for saying haha but she had the kids Heinz tomato soup starter and chips and cheese. She though said the chips are the best she's ever had and that's why she wanted to come back here! I have to say though, these handcut chips are HUGE and done perfectly - crispy on the outside and melt in the mouth on the inside. Fussy eaters are just that, so for her to go off her usual chips and want to travel to a restaurant 15 miles away from home, I'm going to take her word for it and glad I did.
Anyway I've rabbled on enough and hope I don't sound like a ponsie TV food critic. I've ate in dozens of hotels up and down the country through travelling for work. I've had really good food before and probably should have left reviews but for Bar 108 at this hotel, I just had to come on here and recommend. The staff are top class and were very friendly to us and our kids. From Margaret who helped us get seated and served our drinks, to our waiter Pedro (I think his name is, Spanish chap) who served our food and had us in stitches at his patter / jokes. Altogether this is best restaurant I've eaten in so far and will be hard to beat. I can't rate it highly enough! If you're about this neck of the woods, treat yourself and the family and eat here!! You can thank me later :)

1 Thank Stephen K
hilditch, Owner at Bar 108, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thanks very much for taking the time to feedback your thoughts on your recent visit.