“Lovely stay, would recommend!”

Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitburn
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We had a room booked here by the bride for the function we were attending, even though we never paid for the room it was excellent value for money! It was very clean and spacious, there was a small hole in the bedcovers but that's a very small complaint, the function room the wedding was in was beautifully decorated! The food was nice and the staff were lovely. We had room service breakfast in the morning and the only downside was we got no beans with it :-( overall we had a fantastic time and will return in future!

• Stayed: February 2013
hilditch, Owner at Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thanks for your kind review.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed one night here whilst attending a training event at the establishment. I found the hotel to be slightly dated but really well run, maintained and cleaned. The staff were friendly and professional. The restaurant food was well prepared if a little pricey, the menu was adequate.

My bedroom was well furnished and very clean with nice linen. The Bathroom was quite dated but amazingly clean for its age with no dirt or mould in the grout / sealant ( My pet hate!)

I would definitely stay here again and can recommend it for hosting events such as seminars, meetings and training events.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to feed back on your stay.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after a wedding that took place in the buidling. The building is very nice and the wedding was run very well by the hotel.

The food was not great. We ate with the wedding party and found the food tough and unpleasant. I understand it was a mass produced meal for an 80-ish people group but my meat was chewy, fatty and I really needed the rolls served for the evening guests later on to fill up with.

The room was very nice and pretty. The bathroom was very grand and we were impressed by the large bath, however when we ran a bath the water was dirty and the bath full of muck and hairs. This suggested it wasnt very clean and we didnt take a bath.

The biggest let down was the service. We were allowed early enter to our room as part of the wedding party but when booking this earlier in the week I found the reception very unprofessional. When I rung I was left waiting on the phone while I could clearly hear the receptionist chatting to someone else and directing a delivery man. After waiting several minutes, not even on a hold, I asked what was happening and the receptionist seemed to remember I was there and started looking things up. This wasn't a service I would expect from any professional hotel.

We also requested an alarm call the next morning as my partner NEEDED to be up and out to get his daughter. We never got the alarm call and were lucky we set our own phones just in case. I was very angry with this.

At breakfast the food was good however our waiter was very abrupt, boardering on rude, when asked anything.

This was very disappointing as the hotel itself strikes you as a lovely, pleasent, superior place to stay. Unfortunately this wasnt mirrored with the service given on our visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen F
hilditch, Owner at Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Hi Helen, thank you for posting your review. Firstly I am sorry that the overall service you received was not what it should have been. There is no excuse for what has been in your case, a pretty poor experience. I will be reviewing all your points with the team and from that making the improvements required to get back to our normal high customer service standards.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel is fine, but the restaurant was dreadful. Cold starters, which returned microwaved to the max, I had a beef linguine which was oily and frankly vile. A number had a pie and one a fish which were very poor. The service was odd, spooning the ketchup onto the plate rather than leaving the dish for us to help ourselves and no asking as to why a number of dishes were uneaten, surely never a good sign of customer satisfaction! A smile would not go amiss, is that too much to ask? It's an easy option to eat in the hotel you're staying in, but I'd seriously consider if there are other options.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Martyn M
hilditch, Owner at Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Martyn, thank you for taking the time to feed back your views on your recent stay. I am sorry the experience you had in our restaurant was not what it should have been. The fact that you say there was a lot of food left over should have been noticed and it is our policy to check every table, however, it sounds like this did not happen on this occasion?

It would be much appreciated if you could contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this further?

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights while on business. The rooms are a little dated but are comfortable and clean enough and are well worth the price paid. The staff in the hotel and the bar/restaurant are very friendly. I ate in the restaurant every night and the food was excellent and the prices were very reasonable. Breakfast was cooked to order and was also excellent. Will definitely stay here again if I ever return to the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind comments. It is nice to know that we are getting it right !

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed here for a night on business, on bed and breakfast with a evening meal allowance as standard for the company I with for.

I spend one night a week in Scotland for work and I usually stay in a local premier inn, as I know I will have a good night sleep and a good meal at the adjacent Toby.

I ended up in this hotel as the premier in was full.

It looked impressive as I pulled up, and still so as I entered the reception. It really went down hill from there. I stood at reception waiting to be booked in, waited, looked for a bell - couldn't see one, waited. After about 10 mins a man came. Asked my name, which was surprising as I was waiting for an apology for the delay, which never came. I wouldn't have minded the waiting had he apologised for it. I was eventually checked in when he found my booking and advised I was in room 2. I had to ask where room 2 was. I then had to ask about my meal allowance which he confirmed I had, and I had to ask again how it worked. Not really a great customer experience and when you have been on the go over 12 hours it's rather annoying.

I was surprised when I looked on the wall and learnt the duty manager was the man checking me in. I would expect a better service from a senior member of staff, either he was ignorant or stressed. Not my problem, I'd had a bad enough day myself and I'm not a snob but I expect to be treat appropriately.

I'm on first meme terms with the staff at the premier in and everytime I go I am advised how the meal allowance works, where to go, where my room is and if there is a delay they apologise. Total contrast to this one. I tell them I already know but they still tell me I'm guessing its there script.

After that, room was average, dated but clean, bed very lumpy, window very draughty, dated bathroom but seemed clean enough, corridors shabby, restaurant very nice but wasn't impressed with my meal I had seafood pasta and it had bones in, breakfast looked ok but I I was put off before I started it really.

Waitress's ect were very pleasant.

I did not complain as I'd made my mind up I wasn't returning already and also who would I complain to considering it was the duty manager who had checked me in? had I had a better experience and been treat better I might of as it's a good location for me.

Defiantly not though.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank scott-adele-megan
hilditch, Owner at Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Firstly, please accept my apologies as the welcome you received is certainly not our norm. I can definitely confirm that the manager you spoke with is not arrogant and I know he will be annoyed with what has happened. We have an ongoing bathroom upgrade programme in place and you may have noticed from your arrival outside there are new windows in many of the rooms, again ongoing. Your bunk bed picture shows you were in one of our family rooms along with the double bed you slept in. The mattress on the double bed will be upgraded after your comment.
I am glad you found the other staff members to be Pleasant and although you have made up your mind not to return, I can only ask that if you ever do, please contact me directly.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here on business for two nights.
The hotel itself feels somewhat dated maybe back in the 90's. it leaves one with the impression it's "tired".

Plus
Very clean and tidy. Despite the age in and out, staff go to great lengths to impress with what they are given.

Staff are excellent, polite and attentive always smiling. Must be something in the water or just the natural Scots attitude.

Minus

Whomever designed my bathroom in room 30 must have done it on a Friday afternoon when an invite down the pub was looming and he left quickly.
The radiator is so tight against the toilet that when one sits on it, you either do so at an angle or risk third degree burns on your leg. Now I am quite a big chap so this lapses from angular to "ahhhhgggh"

The mattress could do with renewing, as I said I'm a big fella, an when rolling over in bed or merely sitting on the edge, the springs sounded like there was an oil drum band outside playing calypso tunes.
Having a back problem due to an accident, just exacerbates the issue.

I don't know whether there s an issue with the heating, or lack of? It seems to be on when I get into my room then turns off mid evening. When you get up or have a shower it's icicle time! Oh...the bathroom still works. The side of my leg looks like I was slung on a grill still.

Finally. What's with the hot water. It takes a ,minimum of 5 minutes to get hot water through. Are you using the heating water to go in the taps? No wonder its cold!

Overall
Nice place but I fear if my stay was much much longer I would have made complaints and ask to move rooms. As a frequent Best Western customer I was a little disappointed .

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy T
hilditch, Owner at Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Hi, thank you for your comments both complimentary and constructive. Margaret Gill, GM, will be contacting you directly as you have also come through Best Westerns internal feedback programme.

I will be looking into the heating and hot water timing issues and fix these. The mattress will be replaced also. Unfortunately, the lay out of the bathrooms has been the same since 1994 and is out with my control at the present time. However, when we do up grade our bathrooms, we will certainly see if we can re configure thelay out in the space available.

Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitburn
Mercure Livingston
Premier Inn Livingston (M8, Jct3) Hotel
Cairn Hotel
Cairn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bathgate

Been to Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel? Share your experiences!