“Locked Out”
Review of Inn at the Pier

Inn at the Pier
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I had booked a room with Inn at the Pier for September 2, 2011. Before making the
booking (using my credit card), I had advised that I would need a late check-in and was assured that this was okay.

On September 2, 2011, I spoke to the manager around 8pm and advised him that I was on my way from the Halifax airport and would probably arrive around 11pm. I was advised that there was no security, and the person would “try” to answer the phone when I arrived. Nobody indicated that the booking was now cancelled, that I should find alternative arrangements or anything of that nature.

When I arrived at the Inn around 11pm I repeatedly knocked on all of the doors, called repeatedly and nobody answered the door. I could hear the phone inside the inn ringing every time I called from outside.

My wife and I ended up stranded in PEI in the middle of the night having to sleep in our vehicle.

I contacted the Inn at the Pier about the above and they have offered no explanation for this terrible experience. In relating this experience to friends who are from PEI - they warned me that they always tell people in the area not to stay there because they have heard similar stories.

Disgraceful, incredibly rude, and a poor representation of “Island Hospitality”.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Pat N
Dale L, Owner at Inn at the Pier, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

This review puts a small business owner who strives for total customer satisfaction at a loggerhead. My front desk manager told me that he was up until 3:00 am on Sept 2nd and there was no contact from the guest with a reservation. What puzzles me as an owner is why a guest who was forced to sleep in a car over night on Sept 2nd did not contact " Inn at The Pier" until Dec 21st to file a complaint. Then another email to see "what we would do about it" in January "before he posted his comments". I as a small business that owner goes the extra mile whenever possible and hires only dependable employees with the same values, I am bewildered.Many guest have enjoyed the island hospitality at "The Pier" and I invite you to do so also. Dale

Reviewed October 12, 2011

In the middle of an RV trip we decided to sleep in a real bed and came across the Inn at the Pier in Stanley Harbor, PEI. We snuck in the last week and were one of two rooms rented that night. Our room usually rented for 2.5 x the rate we got it for. The owner was very nice and very accommodating. Very much enjoyed the sunset on our private patio over looking New London Bay.

Room Tip: Ocean view is spectacular!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2011

From the moment I stepped into the Inn I felt welcomed and comfortable. I booked through a discount savings program so I was a little nervous when I arrived. Without any problem I was able to upgrade to a water-side room overlooking the dock. Room was clean and spacious, satellite tv (once I figured it out) had plenty of channels and the wifi worked well. There is a little restaurant on site which has a basic continental breakie included in your room fee. Inn is close to Anne of Green Gables, Cavendish Beaches (a park pass for guests is available at no charge - thanks for that!), hiking and various other enjoyable and worthwhile sites and recreation.

Room Tip: Catch a view on the water side and watch the water fowl.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed at the Inn at the Pier after having a poor experience at another hotel. We called the Inn at the Pier early in the morning after the first night at the other hotel. Dave, the manager had just woken up, however, he invited us over to look at some rooms so we would know what we would be getting, which was very nice. We booked a suite that had a living room with a pull out sofabed and also a king bed next to it. There was another small room with a kitchenette that was stocked with a full tray of silverware and plates and glasses. There was a table next to it that was handy for using our laptop. Off of that room was a deck that also had a table with chairs. The view was amazing! It was wonderful to wake up each morning and watch the boats dock. The hotel also offers skidooing and parasailing. The bathroom was clean and had a whirlpool tub. The pool was warm! This was nice considering we were right on the water. The hot tub was not very warm because it takes a long time for it to heat up. The breakfast was amazing. It had things like homemade cinnamon rolls and fruit and banana muffins that were delicious! The laundry did not work at first because the cables on the washer machine had been reversed, so when you selected cold water for a rinse cycle your clothes would be in hot water the whole time! However, we fixed the problem and now it is perfectly fine. The room service was pretty good and the staff was very kind and hospitable! We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2011

The room was modern and comfy, the location far enough from the amusement parks to be peaceful, yet close to restaurants and activities. The staff was friendly and solicitous.We did not have a water view nor pay as much as another reviewer, and found value. Continental breakfst was included and the server helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rubitime
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed mid August on a weekend. We had a large room with king bed and sofabed plus fridge, microwave and kitchen sink and water view. Nice and clean. Staff extremely friendly and helpful; family owned. We ate dinner once in the restaurant and it was good and inexpensive. Continental breakfast is included.

Our only issues:

1. The rate was rather high, $240 per night. I could understand that for a Saturday when the Cavendish area is packed, but few were staying there on Sunday and Monday nights and yet we still had to pay the same rate for those nights.

2. King bed mattress was way too soft.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank howard_ottawa
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We visited this year in the middle of August for parasailing and seadooing fun. Before we ventured onto the boat for the parasailing we ate at the restaurant and the service was great as well as the food. Everything was fleshly made (haddock and fries and clubhouse "hefty) and delicious, plus the prices were great.

Then we ventured off to parasail.... to be honest Dale (the owner) was rather rude with a semi-friendly side, the employees seem to be aware of this and are intimidated by him. He wasn't terrible, just enough to make you think... man I paid money and I'm a customer so why am I treated like an inconvenience. He did have a few small talk moments, maybe he was having a bad day, dunno but he was a little off putting. None the less, I'd go back for sure, every other staff member was very kind and offered great service (not that Dale didn't, he was just a bit rude).

The parasailing made us a little queezy, however, we ate about 30 minutes prior. I'd recommend you take some ginger or an equivalent nausea cure so that you can be sure to fully enjoy the experience. It was a great experience, we did 1,000 feet which was worth it, unfortunately we couldn't both go up together or take a dip in the water because the wind wasn't strong enough.

The seadooing.... a BLAST!! I think we actually had more fun on the seadoos than the parasailing! Just be sure not to be really crazy or go near the sand dunes, a guy flipped one before us and if you break it, you pay for it... a $12,000.00 machine! Read the form you sign, you are responsible for any damage incurred while it is in your possession.

All in all, we had a ball, the food was great, the parasailing and seadooing was seriously fun and we felt it was worth the money. If your allowed to, go to the Ocean to seadoo and hit the waves, that's the funnest. The service was great from most, the young guy at the front counter was especially helpful and courteous. Per a previous review, I likely wouldn't pay $225 for their "Suite", I think that's a bit overpriced but I think their accommodations are likely clean and comfortable, just not elegant (try Charlottetown, Hotel Pownal or Great George) . Fun times, we'll go again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GLibra

The rental of water crafts is a very challenging business, some people just don`t get the risks and responsibilities involved with heading out on the water (you are on a very small life support system). Over the course of renting PWC`s for the past several years we have had many incidents that have pushed the patients of my employees and I.It always makes us wonder why people question our demeanor when one off our 12,000 PWC`s and more importantly our valued customers are in danger. How else can we let someone who knows little or nothing about the operation of these units or the waters they are operating in without having them be fully responsible for their actions.
In addition what happens to next guest when they show up and the machine they were supposed to get, is on the way to the shop for servicing after being tipped upside down, who should pay for the damage and loss of use for a day or two? Many responsible people have rented Sea Doo`s at The Pier and have great memories to take home with them. That is why we rent them. Dale