“Our Last Resort”

Carr's Oyster Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in beautiful Stanley Bridge, Prince Edward Island Come in, sit down and relax in our restaurant where you can have freshly shucked oysters taken from our oyster beds on the Stanley River this morning. Enjoy our fresh seafood or other choices while you look out over beautiful New London Bay from our large deck. Watch the boats coming and going from Stanley Bridge Wharf or the people jumping off the bridge into the channel. We know you'll enjoy your visit with us! Open daily at 11 am
Reviewed November 1, 2012

It was late Oct. and we were looking for a seafood restuarant, everything was closed at this time of year except Carr,s. Not much to look at but had that homey feeling. We sat inside and enjoyed of the view. The chowder was very good but could have been larger for the price and my wife really enjoyed her lobster sandwich. A good spot for a quick lunch, it would show better on a warm day by being able to sit on the patio. Sure beats fast food

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were at Carrs on Oct 2, 2012. I ate my first oyster on the shell. Lot of hot sauce. One was enough. The mussels were very good. Also a first for me. I had them again in another restrauant some day's later and decided that, perhaps I'll stick with scallops, lobster and shrimp for my shellfish diet. Carrs is a very nice place with a small, very friendly bar. The wait staff were friendly and seemed to enjoy the customers, engaging in light banter and joking about the oysters. They also have a great local museum with exhibits you would be more likely to find in a very large natural history museum in a large city. Amazing. Their gift shop was designed to satisfy the PEI visitor offering a large selection in a wide variety of prices.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We're from the West Coast, enjoy virtually all kinds of seafood and while we'd read mixed reviews about Carr's, we decided to drop in for lunch as it was on our route to Charlottetown.
When we were being seated, the server told us about the special combination of crab-cakes and bacon-wrapped scallops.
Another server arrived and informed us that the special of the day was fish-cakes with no scallops. When we told her what we had heard from the first server/hostess (who was waiting on a table two steps away from her) she told us we were mistaken. She didn't even bother to ask the other server to clarifiy the situation.
For starters, we ordered some "large" oysters and a quahog (which was better than the oysters) but were surprised to find that several of the supposedly "large" oysters were actually pretty small.
We did order crab cakes (although from this server, it wasn't the "special") and they were very tasty. The Caesar salad was forgettable.
It's too bad that the server was so arrogant, because Carr's has a great location, view and potential. Perhaps she was just tourist-weary at the end of the season.

1  Thank WhiteRockBruce
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Drove from Cavendish to Malpeque to try this place my Lonely Planet book recommended. Didn't get the bright idea to call before driving all the way out there. To our dismay it was closed. Tried a different restaurant on the way to Malpeque, it was closed. So we landed at Carr's Oyster Bar on accident without even knowing it was a LP recommendation. Sat on the deck outside and enjoyed our amazing view. The food was average. I didn't order any oysters myself as I find them quite slimy and unappetizing. Probably not the best place to go if you don't like Oysters, but I still found some stuff on the menu that enticed me. Like I said, the food was just average, but then it was time for the dessert. Oh my word! I ordered the rum raisin cake that was drizzled in this rum raisin sauce. It was like a piece of heaven on a plate. I cannot even begin to describe the delectableness of this dessert. If you go there grab yourself a plate of oysters and then order the rum raisin cake. It's homemade and you definitely will NOT be sorry you did.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I ate at Carr's the other night when we were staying in Cavendish. Most of the restaurants in the area had closed down for the season and Carr's was one of the very few still open, but we were disappointed in our experience. Our food was fine, but the wait staff seemed uninterested in serving us when we first arrived and failed to offer us the menu specials that she later mentioned to another couple who arrived after us. We felt slighted and would have liked the special option. As I said, the food was fine, but it was definitely expensive for what it was. To be totally fair, the waitress "warmed up" after we had been in the restaurant for a while, but it still left a bad feeling for us. We felt we would be hard-pressed to recommend the restaurant to any friends who might be traveling in the area.

2  Thank NRL65