“Two Thumbs Up Aren't Enough!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stanley Bridge Country Resort

Stanley Bridge Country Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stanley Bridge
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Two Thumbs Up Aren't Enough!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Stanley Bridge Country Resort for 3 nights last week on a last minute booking after 2 nights in Charlottetown. Almost immediately, we wished we'd come straight to the North Shore and found this gem of a place from the start. We truly could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. The room was HUGE with 2 very comfortable queen-sized beds. Everything was extremely clean and tidy and the staff went above and beyond to ensure we were comfortable and our needs met. Upon checking in, we requested more K-cups for the Keurig brewer in the room and we were immediately brought more by the kind gentlemen from the front desk. The little things like that are really what makes a place worth it.

The location of the resort is perfectly situated near all that the North Shore has to offer. Cavendish is less than 10 minutes away as well as the lovely area beaches, shops and restaurants and about 40-45 minutes from Charlottetown. There is a restaurant onsite that has good food as well. This accommodation is truly outstanding. We were so pleased with the service, the staff and the room that will most certainly be back! For our reservation being very last minute, we were promptly served and blessed to have found this gem of a property. We only stayed at the hotel so I can't give review as to the cottages, but they looked lovely, quaint and well maintained from the outside. If you're looking for a beautiful, quaint, and quiet place to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of PEI and with superior service, then book here. We couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Request a room on the backside of the hotel for an amazing and picturesque view of the New London Ba...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lauren L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Fairfax County, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Clean, comfortable rooms with a Keurig coffeemaker (huge plus!). Nice view of the water but agree that a balcony would have been nice. Friendly, helpful staff - especially Mary, who gave us several good restaurant recommendations and directions.

Third floor rooms - having stairs only is a negative, especially hauling luggage up, or having to climb them after an exhausting day of sightseeing.

WiFi is terrible...was unable to use my iPhone in our room and had to find just the right spot in the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main reception side are quieter than the other end...especially if there is a wedding r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

I frequently use Trip Advisor to pick good places to stay and eat. For the most part, the reviews are normally accurate when you exclude the worst and the best. For our stay at Stanley Bridge I didn’t use Trip Advisor and it was likely a good thing. A friend’s wedding reception was being held here so we booked to stay a few days prior to make it a holiday and overnight of the reception. I have to say that our stay could not have been better. The room we had and the service at the front desk and the adjacent restaurant was friendly and efficient. My first impression was slightly less than favourable as there is no elevator. Fortunately hauling luggage up a flight or two isn’t a problem for me. Otherwise though our room was as expected, everything appeared newly renovated and clean with a nice view of the bay in the back. It was a bit musty as the room was closed up and A/C wasn’t on. That was soon remedied with the air conditioner that was not overly loud. An addition of a balcony would make the room perfect. Which brings me to my next great story. From a walk round the resort in daylight it reveals there is a primary lodge, a motel like extension and several cottages. I asked about rooms I had seen on the ground floor below us, that do have a small deck. These are the family suites that are $60 more a night. We were invited to check it out and the room is 3 times the size with a sitting area and couch, two queen side beds, a fridge and the deck to enjoy the gardens in the back. We said yes . Now our stay was perfect. We even received a discount without asking for our inconvenience for moving. The move was well worth it. Ask for a family suite room if you’re at Stanley Bridge Country Resort. Don’t believe the bad reviews.
The hotel is however a little out of the way. It is a 45 min drive to Charlottetown. The roads zig and zag and are hilly in places. It is very dark at night - no streetlights. However ...It is relatively close to Anne of Green Gables and the touristy places at Cavendish. The standard rooms are "standard" rooms on the small side but not as small as some large cities like London or NYC. The beds are comfortable just a little on the soft side. The rooms are spotless from what I saw. The price in my opinion was very reasonable. My only complaint is that their Wi Fi service is not very good. I was able to get a connection but it kept cutting out and had to keep signing in.

Room Tip: As for the ground floor family suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Our friend picked this resort for our reunion and we all agreed that this was a bad selection. First, the location is far away from downtown. When you want to go to downtown or many other places, there will be lots of driving (even though Charlottetown is a small city).

We got 2 cottages and each cottage house has 3 bedrooms (one on the ground floor and two on the second floor), a kitchen and a living room. The beds were not comfortable and I didn't feel the blankets were clean (I am allergic to dust and I sneezed a lot when I was in the bedroom opening the blanket). Everything is basic. If you are spoiled by the city living with comfortable bed life, don't pick this resort. But if you want to get away from the city and just want to stay in a middle of nowhere, this resort may fit your expectation.

Other than using the place to sleep, there wasn't too much you can do in this resort and I don't understand why this place is called resort.

We had breakfast at the resort's Sutherland’s Restaurant in our 3-night stay only. Standard stuff and don't expect too much.

For our trip to Charlottetwon, we visited Green Gables Visitor Centre, Province House National Historic Site of Canada, and Victoria By the Sea. There isn't too much to see in this city. (You can tell that we are a city person.)

Well, at least we have been to PEI. (I think if we stay at downtown, our experience would have been different.)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank BH1577409

Travelers are raving about these Stanley Bridge hotels

Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at this resort on our first trip to PEI in early August. The resort is conveniently located very close to Cavendish (10 mins), and not very far from Summerside and Charlettetown either. From the outside, the resort is picturesque, however the rooms, although quite big, are a bit dated. The beds were extremely soft. Other than the pool and hot tub, there isn't much for kids to do, but we spent most of our days away from the hotel. The restaurant at the hotel (Sutherlands) is very good. My wife loved the seafood chowder!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. Request the family fun package which gives you free tickets to the water...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank NJDFan
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I and my brother decided to go to PEI for vacations for 7 days this early August 2013. I was a little iffy about this hotel, because of a relatively low ranking here on Trip Advisor but I decided to give it a try for two days and as it turned out these were my only two days there. Initially, I wanted to book it for five days. First the good things, the hotel is clean, well maintained, you can also rent cottages. It is very close to the historical Avonlea village, PEI National Park and some great local restaurants and eateries, BUT there is an elephant in the room... the problem is their customer service. When we arrived there, the young lady literally asked us what we were looking for in there and told us to sign a document that we are not smokers. Not very friendly, on top of that she did not give us the right information about wi-fi and what page to go to to start using it. Another minor but annoying issue was an old TV with blurry reception and around 20 channels only. Furniture was also old but beautiful enough. It was a quiet resort and beds were very comfortable, yet I simply never managed to feel good in there during my stay. We payed around 280$ for two nights for two people, it is way too expensive for this hotel. The poll and jacuzzi are too small and crowded during the summer season, it is not worth paying extra for this. All in all, this hotel looks great on picture but in practice it is disappointing, again the customer service spoils it. I presume it may be run by a family and that is why people from the tourism industry are not working there. To close this review on a positive side though, the restaurant that is just in front of the hotel has really tasty means. I absolutely adore hamburger with caramelized onions and their amazing oysters. It is not part of the hotel but is just a few meters from it.

Room Tip: Second floor is pretty quiet but you still feel people wandering around outside.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank VictorHawter
Saint John, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

My hotel reviews have been always fair as I acknowledge the good service and the quality of the place.
I wrote 2 excellent reviews in 2012 regarding one hotel in Barcelona and another one in Porto.

As we were invited to attend a wedding at Prince Edward Island, we booked a room at Stanley Bridge Country Resort (recommended by the hosts) about 5 weeks before arrival. We were expecting a nice stay based on the reviews posted on Trip Advisor but unfortunately this did not happen.

We arrived at the hotel about 3 hours before the event and were assigned Room 308. When we went to the room, we found that the bed was situated in a confined space between two near walls that is not good for someone having "claustrophopia". We explaind the situation to the receiptionist (i believe she was the front desk manager-no need to mention the name) and asked for another room but she indicated that the hotel was completely booked. We believe that it was true due to the number of guests at the wedding. However, we suggested to switch our room with other guests who have not shown up by that time since guests are not told their room number before arrival but she refused. Her excuse was that differnt guests made different requests but we asked her to change it with a similar description and not trying to change apples with oranges. She could have done but she was not flexible.
Due to the short period before the wedding and there were only a few hotels/motels open at that time in PEI, we had no choice except to stay the night there (she tried to find us another hotel nearby).

After we returned from the wedding reception around 11:30 p.m. we found the toilet was not flushing as the chain was broken. Given that we were tired and were ready to go to bed, we did not ask for someone to fix it but we have to do it manually by inserting our hands in the dirty tank to flush it. Moreover, the room was warm and we decided to turn on the AC but it was quite noisy (too much banging). We prefered to turn it off and sleep in a very uncomfortable atmosphere.

As other guests mentioned, the hotel is outdated but it was not a concern for us as it was a stay for one night only. We were surprised to find no empty glasses in the room. The only good thing at the hotel was the free internet connection that helped me to kill the time when woke up at the middle of the night due to the uncomfortable sleep. The room reasonably clean.

My big disappointment was when we checked out in the morning. When we told the same receptionist our problems with the toilet and the AC, she noted them down in her book but she did not even offer one word of apology. We are puzzled as to why she behalved in as not accommodating and not apologoatic.

The hotel management should provide their staff with workshop on management and communication skills. We stay at hotels very often but have not experienced such poor guest relations.
we will never stay in this place again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 23 in Charlottetown
The Holman Grand Hotel
The Holman Grand Hotel
#3 of 23 in Charlottetown

Been to Stanley Bridge Country Resort? Share your experiences!