“Twilight Zone!”

Highland Breeze Accommodations
Ranked #4 of 6 Pleasant Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This place was strange and not inviting at all!! We stayed in gulf breeze.......there was baseboards missing and the jacuzi tub drain stopper was rigged so that it couldn't be filled. So I fixed it as I know my plumbing, and then we ran out of hot water trying to fill the jacuzi tub. I guess that's why they dont want people to actually use it. And the neighbors lost their hot water too. Then the breakfast.......wow....they shouldn't even offer it. It's down the road at a dinner. We showed up (it was raining), we walked inside and they said "sorry we are full right now", well they only have 1 table inside so it would be hard not to fill that place. We sat on these stools outside which were falling apart and we stared at the junk in the back yard of the little dinner. They finally brought us out some coffee which was the worst coffee I've ever had. We had to wait a long long time for breakfast, and it was ok. But I was so turned off by everything else that I didn't enjoy it. The website says they use good ingredients and pure maple syrup!!! That is NOT True. They have a glass case where they keep some of their ingredients and what looks like pre wrapped hot dogs in a bun, and the only ingredients that are in that case (which is on display for everyone to see) is "no name"!!! There are so many things that need to be changed about this place. It wasn't enjoyable at all!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Marleybell
Anna M, Owner at Highland Breeze Accommodations, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Wow... that was a nice review to start off my season :( Thankfully, it was last year's review - even though it saddens me that you waited until now to feel the need to tell the world I think that there was some embellishment, but there was unfortunately some truths. I made a lot of changes in the last couple of years to accommodate a growing business - even though an excellent reputation preceded these additions. I bought and renovated two places (Gulf Breeze and The Breeze) in a 3 year period. A little too much in a short period of time. The biggest problem has been lack of construction worker issues and finding staff and on a more micro level, resources to bring everything to the level that is expected and desired. So I will only add that I totally revamped my business and brought back what worked over my last nine years and got some excellent staff. I brought fully served breakfasts to Highland Breeze and am offering continental breakfasts to the rooms with kitchenettes. This will make mornings at the restaurant much more manageable. I am also serving cafeteria take-out style so there will be no long line ups like last year. I hope future reviewers will look at some of my excellent reviews and make up their own minds or give me a call. Everyone knows that renovating and expanding is not always pretty but I am happy with the results. I do apologize that your visit was not satisfactory. Please try again someday "my treat. Anna

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in the Oceanside room at the Gulf Breeze house in mid-October 2013 and have also experienced, as other reviewers have already pointed out, a few bumps (not quite ready for our arrival, issues with keys, had to ask for some household items).
But, my oh my, talk about bending backwards to remedy these issues and what hospitality!
We were visiting Cape Breton for the Celtic colours festival and upon hearing that we had missed a lunchtime concert, Anna, the proprietor, invited a young fiddler to play for us that same evening. There's not much more to add and we'll always remember this fondly.
Yes we waited a bit for our food at breakfasts but there's no disputing how good the food was in that very convivial, family atmosphere passing the sugar or the cream between tables while exchanging experiences with other guests.
Maybe not a 5-star but definitely a great feel-good stay halfway along the superb Cabot Trail.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rgminbc
Reviewed October 21, 2013

First, let me say that the proprietor Anna is a delightful person, most hospitable. But we felt that she is over her head with commitments to this place. For one thing there is the Gulf Breeze and the Highland Breeze. We were in the Gulf Breeze house for 2 nights. It was clean and spacious. The mattress was thin and uncomfortable. On our second day there was absolutely no service, we had to ask for toilet paper, milk etc. I made our bed. Fortunately we had enough towels. Our friends had to move the 2nd night because someone else had dibs on their room in Gulf Breeze. This I didn't understand, why not make them go somewhere else? The breakfast both mornings was delicious and plentiful. We did not have to wait at all. However, we all thought the price too high for value received. We have paid less and received more on our 4 week trip this fall.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CaliforniaNana
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Other reviewers have pointed out the "work in progress" aspects of the Highland Breeze, so taking those into account, we still enjoyed our relaxing few days. We stayed in the French Suite which was comfortable and spacious, but without any place to hang any clothes. The common area of the home was a nice place to relax and enjoy the view. Although we didn't use it, there is a fully equipped kitchen as well. We also didn't use the pool or hot tub, but they were sure inviting. Anna's meals in the nearby restaurant were a perk, but seating was tight at times. Hopefully, Anna can work out the operational bumps to this unique B&B in a perfect setting. I suggest that she drop the breakfast menu choices and just offer a single offering to speed up the breakfast process.

Room Tip: The French Suite was on the main floor and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at the Den at the Gulf Breeze guest house. Anna, the owner, wasn't there when we arrived, but everything was organized and we could make ourselves comfortable in the room. Both bedroom and bathroom were very spacious, clean and we had direct access to the hot tub outside. What really made our stay memorable was breakfast the following morning when we met Anna and the other guests at her café/bakery. Anna's baked goods (try the cinnamon rolls!) were fantastic, we had a wide choice of breakfast options to choose from and the amount was more than plentiful. The warm athmosphere at Anna's small café made for a great start into the day with lots of good food, fun and laughter. A stay we will remember for a long time!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Spent two nights at Highland Breeze in the French Suite. Very spacious room with comfortable bed. The common living/dining area had plenty of facilities for cooking etc but we ate out both nights. Highland Breeze has a pool and spa which we used both nights, great after a tiring day sightseeing. Breakfast was in Anna's cafe on the main road, a short walk/drive away. Plenty of choices with Anna cooking us a little extra on both days. Anna is a great host, always happy to chat, and she gave us great suggestions on what trails to walk in the national park . Pleasant Bay is a great place to base yourself for Cape Breton National Park and Highland Breeze has a good location, off the main road and a few minutes walk from the harbour, which is where you can go whale watching or view some great sunsets. Definitely would stay here again.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Although we had booked a double suite on bookings.com we subsequently received an e-mail from the owner to say it wasn't available and we were offered the "North Cottage" in the garden at the back of the house. Initially apprehensive about this we went anyway and were pleasantly surprised by it. Although there was no-one at the B&B when we arrived (the owner does not live in) and had to wait until 6.00pm for the cottage to be prepared because the owner was away servicing her other B&B about half a mile up the road. We found the cottage to be clean and comfortable. The air-con worked, thankfully, because it was very warm and humid outside, and the beds were comfortable. There was a fridge, cooker and microwave. Breakfast the next morning was in the owners little restaurant about 300 yards away across the main road and she did all the preparation herself. We had the "belly buster" breakfast which was basically all the owner was baking and cooking in the little kitchen and consisted of freshly baked cinamon cake, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoe pancakes and apple turnovers. Cereal and bread for toasting was also available. There were 8 of us at breakfast and it took about 90 minutes to get it all cooked and eaten, but it was a pleasant and friendly if a little unusual experience. But then it is rural Canada and one has to go with the flow!

Room Tip: The North Cottage is good to stay in.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pleasant Bay
The Mountain View Motel & Cottages
Ocean View Motel & Chalets
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
Cabot Trail Hostel
Cabot Trail Hostel
#1 of 1 in Pleasant Bay

Been to Highland Breeze Accommodations? Share your experiences!