“Great Holiday stay!”

Highland Breeze Accommodations
Ranked #4 of 7 Pleasant Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked this great stop relatively late for our Cape Breton holiday. We arrived at the Inn a tad late in the day after a great day on the Cabot trail. We were greeted by instructions on paper in our room. We stayed in the French Suite, a lovely 2 BR suite with a queen bed and double murphy bed that slept 4. The Inn was immaculate and very modern. My kids were ecstatic to see the lovely pool, deck and hot tub. We went to town to dine at the rusty anchor ( also good) but were too late to partake in the local fiddle and music that we were invited to by Anna, the owner, just down the road. We were disappointed we did not make that get-together. Beds were comfortable, views are amazing with valleys on one side,mountain on another and ocean on yet another. We awoke to the sound of bustling in the kitchen, Home made French toast, sausages, egg sandwiches and cranberry bread, fresh coffee and juice. Great breakfast, nice people and great experience. I wholeheartedly recommend.

Room Tip: There is at least one separate cottage. We stayed in the French Suite. 2 rooms, private bathroom...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just waking up in this little gem after a great nights sleep. It's so peaceful here. The proprietress is a sweet and plucky lady. Our evening was spent playing pool with the guests (and the owner too), and we had the extra treat of listening to a sweet wee gal play the fiddle for us (she's an amazing talent!). A star gaze from the hot tub was a perfect end. Breakfast was delicious, too. My only complaint is that we had to leave. Thank you for the delightful stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Gulf Breeze which is about a mile down the road from the main house and restaurant, in July on our driving tour around the Cabot Trail. We stayed in The Oceanside room, which is basically half of a house, full kitchen, living room, large 1 bedroom with queen bed and a whirlpool tub for 2. It has many amenities like an outside hot tub, workout room and a pool table room. We had a beautiful view of the sunset from both our private balcony and from the hot tub in our room, but best of all I discovered a path leading from the house to a viewpoint on the bluff, where sunsets are incredible, especially over a shared bottle of wine! Breakfast in the morning was only a short drive away and it was quite nice to dine outside on a beautiful sunny morning, the food was good and the service was excellent and friendly. From there my wife and I went on an incredible whale watching tour in Pleasant Bay and then off to Truro. If ever I find myself back on the Cabot Trail, which I certainly intend to do, I will not hesitate to book with Highland Breeze again!

1  Thank Dale S
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our experience with this place was negative. I am sorry to say it is not a well maintained property. The pool was dirty as was the hot tub. We couldnt use them at all. WE were very disappointed it was a hot day and we would have loved to go in to the pool. The room on the main floor (the french room) was nice but the toiliette did not flush. an easy thing to fix but neglected. The promised desserts Anna claimed would arrive at nine in the evening never did. Breakfast was the worst of all. We had to drive to the owners shabby little restaurant around the corner, we were offered uneatable scrambled eggs, no coffee ready and served moldy peaches. This place is not cheap! No effort or pride is taken in this property. I wish they would get there act together.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

we stayed at the north cottage at highland breeze and it was wonderful. Anna was a complete delight and would do anything to make your stay enjoyable. THe cottage was clean and modern with everything you could need. The hot tub and pool were magical as you could use them any time of day or night. The breakfast was incredible with everything you could imagine. I have a severe egg allergy which can be near impossible to eat breakfast out but that didn't stop sweet Anna. She made me my own special potato pancakes so I could eat breakfast with everyone else. The stay could not have been better and we will be back for sure!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Comfortable bed and accommodations in a great place--half way around the Cabot Trail and in a beautiful and calm bay. The views in this area are spectacular and a great place to go whale watching. The breakfast was wonderful, too. Thanks, Anna.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our experience was negative. The bedroom was very clean and it had a nice bathroom, but the celling fan made a loud click with every revolution and we had to turn it off in minutes; it was a record hot day and the bedroom had been closed, so no air from the main room’s window unit made its way in during the day (the main room seemed to be a rallying point for various family members that didn’t appear to have anything to so with the B&B). Two very tasty pastries were left for us—I guess that was the advertised “evening dessert” but sans entertainment advertised on their website—if they had any other events, we were unaware of them, nor did the promised passes to the Whale Interpretive Center materialize. The young lady that checked us in had a piece of paper with my wife’s name on it—if it had instructions for the evening dessert or the whale tickets, we were unaware since she took off with it after reading a few of what we suspect were many items on the list. Now comes breakfast—we arrived at 7:45, when only two locals were in the restaurant. I ordered the cod cakes and was told that I had to pay extra since they had “expensive ingredients.” Not a problem although other items on the menu were the same price. After half an hour I was told they didn’t have the ingredients for cod cakes. Meanwhile, other customers had arrived and were being served. I then ordered a veggie omelet. After 15 more minutes—45 minutes after my arrival and after I’ve watched people come and go, after my wife had finished her breakfast, I was told they had no vegetables. This left the cheese omelet. it arrived—to the minute—one hour after I arrived. When I complained to the waitress that this wasn’t going to win the B&B a good review on Trip Advisor, Anna promptly flew out of the kitchen to confront me for an uncomfortably long time—not to apologize, but to complain that it was a busy day (it wasn't when we arrived) and that such things as Trip Advisor made it possible for someone that had a bad day to be reviewed and that wasn’t fair (no, Anna, waiting an hour for breakfast and paying full price for a marginal B&B is unfair). And, my greasy cheese omelet arrived without the potato pancake that was supposed to come with omelets. I’m not a picky eater—I eat out a lot and only twice in my entire life have I returned a dish—but this was not good and I was unable to eat much of it. It’s not just the poor food but the time lost that I regret-- my wife and I had a full day scheduled, and being put behind was very inconvenient. We go to a lot of B&Bs and found this one to be on the high side of price, and although it was clean and comfortable, it didn’t compare with other lodging in that price range. Anna did remove my breakfast, I think $8.00, from the B&B bill. Every other B&B and lodging experience, as well as dining experience we had in NS was very positive except for this one, so it stands out all the more.

Room Tip: Go to another B&B or a hotal
1  Thank Dave C
Anna M, Owner at Highland Breeze Accommodations, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

I am sorry that this guest was so unhappy. I will admit that in this transition year and after only a couple of weeks in the new restaurant --- it was very busy that morning just happened to be more hectic than we were prepared for. We are doing much better now. It is ironic that I have guests eat omellettes before and offer that have said they were the best they ever had. In this case, we were just getting used to having many of the items on the menu and unfortunately, even though I tried to be prepared, I was not as prepared as I should be. The reason why other's in front of this couple got served first is because I had many of the items ready to go out. I only had to add an item or two and that order was out the door. I think now that I broke the cardinal sin. I believe that the order may also have ended up out of sequence when it came in the second time around.

I cannot recall but I believe that I gave a much bigger discount than $8 but I would have to look at my records to confirm this. I am sorry that this gentleman's day was ruined by my service and his visit to my restaurant. My comment to you sir, was that it is not appropriate for you to threaten trip advisor to staff when they are obviously trying their best to accommodate you - even if we fell short of expectations. My staff and I work extremely hard to satisfy all our guests equally. I do have an odd complaint about my food but I will say that I have many kmany more kudos as well! I think that using tripadvisor to ruin a restaurant's reputation when its in its infancy is extreme - but it is a right that is now given freely to millions. I am surprised restaurant owners and accommodation owners don't all close their doors. Finally, I will say that I love to cook and other than the odd mishap, feel that I make my guests happier than I do sad or frustrated. This is a transition year that has caused some upheaval but I am glad to say that all is coming together. I cannot make everyone happy, but I can sure try. I can only apologize sincerely for your negative experience. Warmest Regards, Anna