“Absolutely Awful”

The Mountain View Motel & Cottages
Ranked #5 of 6 Pleasant Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 29, 2011

As the title states "awful". Worst cottage I have ever stayed in and will not be back. To start off with, when I booked the cottage I was told there were 2 bdrms and a pull out couch in the cabin that I chose. There were 2 bdrms all right...but no pull out couch...no couch of any kind. So they offered us a cot to compensate...however did not tell me that they charged me for the cot...until after I paid for the room. Bathroom was full of sow bugs or wood bugs..and when I say full of bugs...they were crawling up and down the walls...on the ceiling...all over the floor and in the towels (gross). When I complained about the bugs I was told that "it was the country and I had to get used to a few little bugs"..are you freaking kidding me. Bugs are fine...I can live with a bug here and there but I certainly don't want them sharing the toilet with me. There was no microwave...no barbecue...no fire pit...nothing for the kids to do...they were bored silly. We brought a cooler full of food..and could not cook it outside...had to use the stove...just like at home for free. Also had mold on the ceiling in the bathroom....so needless to say to closed the door to that room and used the bathroom next door in our friends cabin. I can honestly say that we will never be back and it is a shame because the people that work there are very friendly and helpful. The place is run down and needs a face lift for sure.

2  Thank w0190551
There are newer reviews for The Mountain View Motel & Cottages

Reviewed August 21, 2011

This motel is old but sort of well maintained. Friendly staff, very good location, only mintes away from whale watching tours. It's not bad for staying over 1 night, however if you're looking some kind of high end or modern facilities, this is not the place.

1  Thank TIncident
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This Motel was exactly what we were looking for!
There is a beautiful mountain backdrop and it is located close to a whale watching site and some walking trails.

The staff are super friendly and the blueberry pie is a favorite of mine.

I make a point to stay here on every trip I make through the Cabot Trail.

2  Thank ENELRAD_MN
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stopped by this hotel when driving the Cabot Trail, as we were going whale watching in the area the next day. What first brought us in was the price, as it was about $30 per night cheaper than we were quoted at the Mid Trail Motel for a mountain view room. The accommodations were more than adequate, the rooms were clean, the beds very comfortable and the shower was great. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about the tourism in the area. We had breakfast at the restaurant and it was good food at a good price. If we are in the area again we will defiantly be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2011

The worst motel I have ever been too, one level above camping. One good thing - clean. Other then that, you deffinetly don't get your money value. The Window cannot be opened so we had to open the A/C, where it was a very nice wind out side. There is no: micro, small fridge or coffee in the room. And last, in spite the endless amount of scenery in the area, the motel is located with no view.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed August 4, 2011

As others have said, this is no-frills motel. The rooms are clean and spacious. The bathrooms are functional. The bed and chairs are comfortable enough. The decor is dated. The WiFi works. The scenery, as with all of Pleasant Bay, is excellent. For the price and location, it's more than adequate.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My partner and I ended up in Pleasant Bay on a blustery evening in the midst of our our trip to Cape Breton. We had hoped to take in a whale sighting tour late in the day, but the seas had gotten rough and cold--and the tour guides cancelled the remaining tours of the day. They suggested we spend the night in the village and try again in the morning, and their recommendation was the Moutain View Motel.

We found the restaurant deserted and not many cars in the parking lot of the motel and weren't surprised there were vacancies. We checked out a room and found it would be fine for the evening.

We weren't wrong. It wasn't on par with a Courtyard, but it was a clean room, and the bed was comfortable. The room even had a loveseat where we were able to access the WiFi and download and post pictures from our day of sight-seeing.

We also caught an awesome sunset on the beach near the marina in "town".

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cornerstone Motel
#2 of 7 in Cheticamp
Ocean View Motel & Chalets
Sea Breeze Cottages and Motel

Been to The Mountain View Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!